Apple made a dive watch?

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
dnslater
Name: Nick

Re: Apple made a dive watch?

Post by dnslater » Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:35 am

Apple does a great job in the fine detailing on that case. Looks like a beast though…. Assume it is at least light weight?

Panerai7
Name: Art

Post by Panerai7 » Sat Sep 24, 2022 3:54 am

dnslater wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:35 am
Apple does a great job in the fine detailing on that case. Looks like a beast though…. Assume it is at least light weight?
61 grams vs 32 for a regular Apple Watch 8 made out of aluminum and thin mineral glass.
It’s quite a shocker apparently for regular pop but nothing alarming for us watch guys.

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Post by Chocodove » Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:19 am

First Apple Watch I’d even remotely consider, but damn that’s huge.
- Todd

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire
Name: Paul

Post by deepcdvr » Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:42 am

Be careful trusting vendor stats.

We just conducted extensive testing in the navy on several wrist-borne dive computers at the Navy Experimental Dive Unit in Panama City.

The results were surprising. The most well known brand of GPS/adventure watch (which I love and have 3 of their products) failed miserably. I won’t mention the names of the winners and losers, but you would be surprised as to how grossly inaccurate these ‘dive computers’ are.
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Post by BBK357 » Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:28 am

Panerai7 wrote:I dive as much as I measure lap times with my Daytona or fly to the moon with Speedmaster. So that makes no difference to me. The rest will run circles around any smartwatch from Garmin. The Garmin that I tried was slightly better than 100$ Casio and had connectivity issues and notification delays, with Ultra I can go to the gym with just the watch on and it’ll open and start my car, connect to cellular, answer and make emergency phone calls, help me buy a bottle of water if I need an extra one, survive swimming pool and measure all my vitals.
If I were Garmin I’d be dusting off Exit Strategy they used killing portable GPS units business or figure out more ways to appeal to tacticool rednecks. I know, How about making an all black plastic version and leave all button markings unpainted. Call it tactical edition and charge $100 more Image
Wow Art so much hate for Garmin… where is that coming from?
Calling all Garmin wearers red necks is as dumb as calling all Rolex wearers… you get it.

Garmin has great GPS features. I love the Fenix and being able to pull up a detailed map wherever I am hiking. It always works great.
My wife is a runner and wears a forerunner 745. Very accurate stats as well. Huge upgrade from her Fitbit.

Most of what you said you want this watch for are things I don’t want. Starting car, buying water… I actually don’t like the “smart” modes and that’s why I don’t wear the Fenix anymore. I only liked it for the fitness and maps. I actually wish that I could just wear it and not even connect it to the app.

Does the regular Apple Watch have a good map/gps interface? I would love an honest review between the new Apple Watch and the Fenix.

I do know a lot of guys in the military who love their Garmin. The G Shock has obviously been the choice for most of them due to the price and such.
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

Panerai7

Post by Panerai7 » Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:33 am

BBK357 wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:28 am
Panerai7 wrote:I dive as much as I measure lap times with my Daytona or fly to the moon with Speedmaster. So that makes no difference to me. The rest will run circles around any smartwatch from Garmin. The Garmin that I tried was slightly better than 100$ Casio and had connectivity issues and notification delays, with Ultra I can go to the gym with just the watch on and it’ll open and start my car, connect to cellular, answer and make emergency phone calls, help me buy a bottle of water if I need an extra one, survive swimming pool and measure all my vitals.
If I were Garmin I’d be dusting off Exit Strategy they used killing portable GPS units business or figure out more ways to appeal to tacticool rednecks. I know, How about making an all black plastic version and leave all button markings unpainted. Call it tactical edition and charge $100 more Image
Wow Art so much hate for Garmin… where is that coming from?
Calling all Garmin wearers red necks is as dumb as calling all Rolex wearers… you get it.

Garmin has great GPS features. I love the Fenix and being able to pull up a detailed map wherever I am hiking. It always works great.
My wife is a runner and wears a forerunner 745. Very accurate stats as well. Huge upgrade from her Fitbit.

Most of what you said you want this watch for are things I don’t want. Starting car, buying water… I actually don’t like the “smart” modes and that’s why I don’t wear the Fenix anymore. I only liked it for the fitness and maps. I actually wish that I could just wear it and not even connect it to the app.

Does the regular Apple Watch have a good map/gps interface? I would love an honest review between the new Apple Watch and the Fenix.

I do know a lot of guys in the military who love their Garmin. The G Shock has obviously been the choice for most of them due to the price and such.
No hate just the pricing model sucks and unjustified. I’m a redneck in North Carolina so I can call redneck whoever I want. Isn’t that how it works with blacks?

My Ultra is landing on Wednesday, I’m excited :)

SoCal C4S
Name: RJ

Post by SoCal C4S » Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:53 am

Bob1035
Name: Rob not Bob

Post by Bob1035 » Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:54 am

spring-diver wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:40 pm

DAMN! Almost makes my Fenix 6x (which I friggin love...as a tool, not as a watch per se) look reasonable. Although, in my usage (cycling, hiking, running, etc), I wanted a big damn screen and the ability to not need a phone or cell service, and the fenix really works for me. Previous Apple watches needed a phone connected to really do any good tracking or mapping.

deepcdvr wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:42 am

We just conducted extensive testing in the navy on several wrist-borne dive computers at the Navy Experimental Dive Unit in Panama City.

The results were surprising. The most well known brand of GPS/adventure watch (which I love and have 3 of their products) failed miserably. I won’t mention the names of the winners and losers, but you would be surprised as to how grossly inaccurate these ‘dive computers’ are.
:o

gwells
Name: Greg

Post by gwells » Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:33 am

deepcdvr wrote:

i wouldn't complain if you posted stats / brands here. :) or DMed them. we really do need to buy two new dive comps before we dive again.

bedlam
Name: Carl

Post by bedlam » Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:31 am

deepcdvr wrote:

Yeah, I am not a fan of activity watch makers moving into dive computers.

I've run Shearwater computers for a long time and that isn't going to change because of anything Garmin or Apple release.

gwells

Post by gwells » Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:34 am

if nothing else, you should appreciate that they'll probably force dive computer makers to innovate a little more to maintain their market.

Skinny Rogers
Name: Lance

Post by Skinny Rogers » Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:51 am

So here’s my take.

Mine was delivered yesterday and I promptly returned.

For me it was just too large.

Being all screen it just looked sort of clownish to me.

Maybe in the coming years they will make a smaller size.

Maybe 47ish.

I know several people that got theirs yesterday and they are on the fence of returning as well as they are daily smartwatch wearers….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bedlam
Name: Carl

Post by bedlam » Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:57 am

gwells wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:34 am
if nothing else, you should appreciate that they'll probably force dive computer makers to innovate a little more to maintain their market.
True. Though innovation at the cost of reliability isn't helpful when things are getting to the pointy end.

gwells

Post by gwells » Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:07 am

totally agree. you need a solidly reliable unit first.

Wario406
Name: Mike

Post by Wario406 » Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:07 pm

spring-diver wrote:Ok, these are pretty cool Image

They’re pretty big too.

Nobody in the store knew what grade titanium they’re using either. I’m guessing grade 2?

The bead blasted finish is very nice and there is the slightest polished chamfer on the edge near the crystal.

I’m digging the Alpine Loop strap. I has nice little stretch to it, very comfortable.

Definitely the first Apple Watch I would consider.

Maybe next pay check ImageImage
WHOA!!! That’s a big mammajamma!!!

It is better to know how to learn than to know.
Dr. Seuss

gwells

Post by gwells » Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:54 pm

spring-diver wrote:
What size is your wrist? It definitely didn’t look that big on my 7.25” wrist today. Seen here next to my 42mm PO.

SoCal C4S
Name: RJ

Post by SoCal C4S » Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:02 pm

That Planet Ocean is so fvcking hot!!

spring-diver
Name: Shannon

Post by spring-diver » Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:30 pm

gwells wrote:
spring-diver wrote:
What size is your wrist? It definitely didn’t look that big on my 7.25” wrist today. Seen here next to my 42mm PO.

7 1/4” is what I last measured.

Seiko: SBDB001, SBDX001, SRP777

Sinn: EZM9, T1, T1B, 836 & 857S

:cheers:

Panerai7

Post by Panerai7 » Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:52 pm

I think we’re used to measuring it differently than Apple. It’s not like 49mm size bezel on the round case

gwells

Post by gwells » Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:37 pm

spring-diver wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:30 pm
gwells wrote:
spring-diver wrote:

7 1/4” is what I last measured.
weird that it looks so much bigger on your wrist. maybe a little bit angle and maybe my wrist is flatter than yours?

gwells

Post by gwells » Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:38 pm

SoCal C4S wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:02 pm
That Planet Ocean is so fvcking hot!!
thanks. it's still my fav from my collection.

spring-diver
Name: Shannon

Post by spring-diver » Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:43 am

Here’s a good video explaining the Apple depth gauge

https://youtu.be/TPnW4pA20RA

Seiko: SBDB001, SBDX001, SRP777

Sinn: EZM9, T1, T1B, 836 & 857S

:cheers:

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:09 am

Now all you guys who jumped on the bandwagon who are going to buy one how many of you actually scuba dive ? A bunch don’t at least for the desk diver the mechanical one have the cool factor and make better since for none diver or a ordinary smart watch why pay extra for function you will never use.

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Apple made a dive watch?

Post by hoppyjr » Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:52 am

River Rat wrote:Now all you guys who jumped on the bandwagon who are going to buy one how many of you actually scuba dive ? A bunch don’t at least for the desk diver the mechanical one have the cool factor and make better since for none diver or a ordinary smart watch why pay extra for function you will never use.
If somebody has the wrist to pull it off, I think the larger screen and increased water resistance & battery life is worth it alone. No need to be a scuba diver.

That said, I did not buy one. But I’m still thinking about it.

Panerai7

Post by Panerai7 » Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:47 pm

hoppyjr wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:52 am
River Rat wrote:Now all you guys who jumped on the bandwagon who are going to buy one how many of you actually scuba dive ? A bunch don’t at least for the desk diver the mechanical one have the cool factor and make better since for none diver or a ordinary smart watch why pay extra for function you will never use.
If somebody has the wrist to pull it off, I think the larger screen and increased water resistance & battery life is worth it alone. No need to be a scuba diver.

That said, I did not buy one. But I’m still thinking about it.
Thanks and exactly. When did this become a scuba dive computer. I will never turn that feature on like I’ll never go to the moon lol