Apple made a dive watch?

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
DiverChris
Name: Chris

Re: Apple made a dive watch?

Post by DiverChris » Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:11 pm

Yes, but when you hit 130 ft it basically becomes useless.

tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>
Name: Don

Post by tattoo chef » Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:59 pm

River Rat wrote:
Wario406 wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:27 pm
River Rat wrote:Now all you guys who jumped on the bandwagon who are going to buy one how many of you actually scuba dive ? A bunch don’t at least for the desk diver the mechanical one have the cool factor and make better since for none diver or a ordinary smart watch why pay extra for function you will never use.
What difference does it make if they dive or not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Your paying extra for something you will never use
It’s a premium watch. The actual dive function is through an app, that you don’t need to purchase. Ifs titanium, has a larger and brighter screen and has the best battery of any Apple Watch currently. That’s what he paid for. Also, how many have paid $10,000 to have a DSSD Rolex that will never see water, and you’re trying to knock someone for a $800 smartwatch??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:06 pm

River Rat wrote:
Wario406 wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:27 pm
River Rat wrote:Now all you guys who jumped on the bandwagon who are going to buy one how many of you actually scuba dive ? A bunch don’t at least for the desk diver the mechanical one have the cool factor and make better since for none diver or a ordinary smart watch why pay extra for function you will never use.
What difference does it make if they dive or not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Your paying extra for something you will never use

🥸

gwells
Name: Greg

Post by gwells » Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:15 pm

DiverChris wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:11 pm
Yes, but when you hit 130 ft it basically becomes useless.
so... like 3% of divers will have a problem with that. most rec divers rarely go deeper than 50-60 feet. and advanced certification still won't take you below 130 ft. if you're a serious tech diver, this isn't for you.

DiverChris

Post by DiverChris » Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:54 am

It's not a bad option for the vacation diver for sure. For $800 it's cheaper than even the lowest level Garmin Descent and with pretty much the same features for the average diver, minus gas switching, etc.
gwells wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:15 pm

so... like 3% of divers will have a problem with that. most rec divers rarely go deeper than 50-60 feet. and advanced certification still won't take you below 130 ft. if you're a serious tech diver, this isn't for you.

gwells
Name: Greg

Post by gwells » Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:02 am

and that's their target audience for the diving features. recreational divers.

if you're doing tech diving, multiple tanks, deco dives, you need something much more serious. and in the overall world of diving, i'm thinking recreational divers far outnumber professional divers and serious tech divers.

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:46 pm

Looks good on the Apple SS link :)

:htfu:

Panerai7
Name: Art

Post by Panerai7 » Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:40 am

matt.wu wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:46 pm
Looks good on the Apple SS link :)

That’s a great, kinda office look. Dig it

Panerai7

Post by Panerai7 » Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:11 am

Love this thing

DenverBuff
Name: Vic

Post by DenverBuff » Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:42 am

I'm a Garmin/Android guy but . . . that's really nice.

Wario406
Name: Mike

Post by Wario406 » Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:33 pm

Apple makes quality stuff.
It is better to know how to learn than to know.
Dr. Seuss

bedlam
Name: Carl

Post by bedlam » Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:37 am

Wario406 wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:33 pm
Apple makes quality stuff.
Sometimes

Panerai7

Post by Panerai7 » Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:33 pm

Thanks for the idea Matt. SS bracelet arrived and I dig it - very Moser & Cie

matt.wu
Wu

Post by matt.wu » Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:27 pm

Moser is exactly the way I describe it too. Good pairing.

Wario406

Apple made a dive watch?

Post by Wario406 » Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:45 pm

as cool as these are - I dont see an Apple Watch as something I'd hand down to my kids or grand-kids. My experience is they're good for about 4-5 years then they wont take updates. Watches means something different to each of us. To me - They're about legacy. I have a very few that may be throw away - but, the rest of my collection (as cheap as it is) can live quite a few generations past me with little more than some watch or battery refreshes. The Apple watch is a cool toy - but, I dont see them as long term ownership items that I'll spend $1k on
Last edited by Wario406 on Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. Seuss

93 Turbo
Name: Jules

Post by 93 Turbo » Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:22 am

Wario406 wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:45 pm
as cool as these are - I dont see any Apple Watch as something I'd hand down to my kids or grand-kids. My experience is they're good for about 4-5 years then they wont take updates. Watches means something different to each of us. To me - They're about legacy. I have a very few that may be throw away - but, the rest of my collection (as cheap as it is) can live quite a few generations past me with little more than some watch or battery refreshes. The Apple watch is a cool toy - but, I dont see them as long term ownership items that I'll spend $1k on
Apple watch service centre, probably a oxymoron...
Strength is = 2 or > than "tipping over a so- called smart car plastered in “Coexist” bumper stickers".

Pat McNamara.

Panerai7

Post by Panerai7 » Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:35 am

Wario406 wrote:
as cool as these are - I dont see any Apple Watch as something I'd hand down to my kids or grand-kids. My experience is they're good for about 4-5 years then they wont take updates. Watches means something different to each of us. To me - They're about legacy. I have a very few that may be throw away - but, the rest of my collection (as cheap as it is) can live quite a few generations past me with little more than some watch or battery refreshes. The Apple watch is a cool toy - but, I dont see them as long term ownership items that I'll spend $1k on
You should talk to RMM about the legacy and 4-5 years and handing down to kids :lol:

Ryeguy

Post by Ryeguy » Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:34 am

Panerai7 wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:35 am
Wario406 wrote:
You should talk to RMM about the legacy and 4-5 years and handing down to kids :lol:
LOL - too funny. It isn't just RMM who has "flipperitis" around here!

I think this is the first Apple watch that I would actually be interested in buying. I'm just hesitant because I'm purposely trying to be more mindful, focused, and in the moment. I could see this thing as being equal parts hugely interesting and hugely distracting. Probably better for me to do without.

Wario406

Apple made a dive watch?

Post by Wario406 » Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:54 am

Ryeguy wrote:
Panerai7 wrote:
Wario406 wrote:

I think this is the first Apple watch that I would actually be interested in buying. I'm just hesitant because I'm purposely trying to be more mindful, focused, and in the moment. I could see this thing as being equal parts hugely interesting and hugely distracting. Probably better for me to do without.
LOL! I have “flipperitis” too. I also think that it could be distracting too - but, I regularly glance/stare at my watches without ever reading the time. I quit wearing an Apple Watch a couple of years ago because I got tired of being tapped on the wrist, and also constantly reminded how over connected I am. I turned the notifications off and set it to a simple face that was mostly just a watch and realized that looking a regular watch is much more fun to me.

But, knowing me - I’ll probably wander back into the Apple Watch realm and drunk buy one some night.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Dr. Seuss

matt.wu
Wu

Post by matt.wu » Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:13 am

Ryeguy wrote:
Panerai7 wrote:
Wario406 wrote:

Ironically, an Apple Watch with cellular connectivity can be the key to being more present. You can configure notifications to only what you want (maybe phone calls and texts but not emails or any app notifications), and then have the peace of mind to know that if someone (kids or family, maybe) need to get ahold of you they can, and you can drop your phone from being constantly in your pocket.

This is exactly how it’s played out for my wife. She doesn’t have her phone on her most of the time at home and even sometimes venturing out for short jaunts like errands, she may leave her phone at home.

namor
Name: Seth

Post by namor » Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:56 pm

I think apple makes a premium product, and these have a tremendous range of functions. But Wario brings up a very. Interesting point - at what price does a watch with a clear finite lifespan become prohibitive. If it’s damaged, it’s a replacement item as Apple does not repair them. And, even with Applecare, the affordable cost option is only good for two years. When they were around $300, it was a reasonable proposition; at $800 it’s a luxury that’s hard to defend.

As an aside, what functions that require connection to a cell tower are likely to work at 30 or 50 or 80 feet? And that’s assuming you’re diving close enough to shore to get a tower connection.
www.usmcscoutsniper.org - Life Member
“Qualified to deport with denizens of the deep, mermaids, and other inhabitants of the realm of Neptune.”

Ryeguy

Post by Ryeguy » Fri Oct 07, 2022 3:16 am

matt.wu wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:13 am
Ryeguy wrote:
Panerai7 wrote:
Wario406 wrote:

Ironically, an Apple Watch with cellular connectivity can be the key to being more present. You can configure notifications to only what you want (maybe phone calls and texts but not emails or any app notifications), and then have the peace of mind to know that if someone (kids or family, maybe) need to get ahold of you they can, and you can drop your phone from being constantly in your pocket.

This is exactly how it’s played out for my wife. She doesn’t have her phone on her most of the time at home and even sometimes venturing out for short jaunts like errands, she may leave her phone at home.
That makes sense and I can certainly see how these could be an asset for some people. I would almost recommend one of these to elderly folks simply for the medical emergency use case. You can call EMS right from your wrist, or even have it automatically call in the event of a fall (I think). That is pretty cool.

SoCal C4S
Name: RJ

Post by SoCal C4S » Sun Oct 23, 2022 6:59 pm

So, are any of you looking to sell now that you’ve owned the Ultra for a month?

Thinking about getting one for working out, rucking and to track my sleep. Thoughts?

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:00 pm

my little brother just got one. but he is ghey. so i understand why. lol

Panerai7

Post by Panerai7 » Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:08 pm

SoCal C4S wrote:
Sun Oct 23, 2022 6:59 pm
So, are any of you looking to sell now that you’ve owned the Ultra for a month?

Thinking about getting one for working out, rucking and to track my sleep. Thoughts?
Love it. I wear mine at least once a day. Just get a new one