Garage floor epoxy?

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Garage floor epoxy?

Post by toxicavenger » Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:38 pm

My wife painted our garage floor when I was in the sandbox. Now it needs to be redone. From what I have seen is I need some that is 100% solids. I have seen Rust Bullet. It might be what I go with.

There is a ton of info out there but it is a shit show trying to find out what actually last. I am not looking into spending over 600 for the epoxy. If anyone knows of anything that actual works with cars driving and out daily please let me know.

amckiwi
Name: Stu

Re: Garage floor epoxy?

Post by amckiwi » Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:04 pm

No knowledge but am sure it’s mostly prep work

Also look out for something that is not to slippery when fluids are spilt on it

Erratic101
Name: Justyn

Post by Erratic101 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:45 am

I did my garage floor with rustoleum. It’s held up well to weather and wear. A few wear spots where tires consistently sit, but that’s been at the 8yr mark now. It truly is all about the prep work. Take the time to scrub and degrease your floor and whatever you get should hold pretty good. Image

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:09 pm

I don't deal with epoxy a lot, but have been more and more lately in commercial hospital flooring settings... but as others said the initial prep work is critical. If the bare concrete was not properly prepped you will never get a good install as movement of tires will create sheer between the epoxy and the concrete if adhesion isn't great. You can apply as thick as you want, but if adhesion isn't great you will eventually get failure. Garage's are a tough environment as they get salt, dripping grease and have large temperature variations and a lot of floor movement so not very forgiving on quality of prep or install.

When your wife painted it initially, how did she prep? Did she use epoxy, or another type of floor paint? Commercial contractors bead-blast the concrete before installing the epoxy to provide an ideal surface for adhesion. You can look into renting a vacuum blaster.

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:10 pm

When in the Navy I painted more than I wanted to. But we used a lot of epoxy paint like none skid for out side decks. We’re deck grey with sand and epoxy mix.Prep is important. We got it to bare metal then red-lead then the none skid that had epoxy. Be sure to complete the job that day after you mix the epoxy it will be hard as rock the next day and useless.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:22 pm

dnslater wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:09 pm
I don't deal with epoxy a lot, but have been more and more lately in commercial hospital flooring settings... but as others said the initial prep work is critical. If the bare concrete was not properly prepped you will never get a good install as movement of tires will create sheer between the epoxy and the concrete if adhesion isn't great. You can apply as thick as you want, but if adhesion isn't great you will eventually get failure. Garage's are a tough environment as they get salt, dripping grease and have large temperature variations and a lot of floor movement so not very forgiving on quality of prep or install.

When your wife painted it initially, how did she prep? Did she use epoxy, or another type of floor paint? Commercial contractors bead-blast the concrete before installing the epoxy to provide an ideal surface for adhesion. You can look into renting a vacuum blaster.
she only etched the floor. i am going to rent a floor sander and take the top layer off of it.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:24 pm

Erratic101 wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:45 am
I did my garage floor with rustoleum. It’s held up well to weather and wear. A few wear spots where tires consistently sit, but that’s been at the 8yr mark now. It truly is all about the prep work. Take the time to scrub and degrease your floor and whatever you get should hold pretty good. Image
justyn what did you use for the cracks? i am going to sand my floors before painting them.

logan2z
IT Admin
Name: Andrew

Post by logan2z » Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:42 pm

Depending on the square footage of your garage and your total budget, you may want to consider something like Race Deck. It seems like a pretty straightforward DIY install and looks pretty cool, without the downsides of epoxy.

Erratic101

Post by Erratic101 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:51 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
Erratic101 wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:45 am
justyn what did you use for the cracks? i am going to sand my floors before painting them.
If I recall, it was quickcrete or something like that. It’s held ok over time. I have a really bad buckle in the garage floor though.

For prep I scrubbed all oil spots with a paint stripper attachment on a drill and then pressure washed the whole floor about 3 times with a concrete soap. Last was a straight wash with just water, and then let it totally dry. A floor sander is a great idea, but I’d probably still pressure wash it after.

Erratic101

Post by Erratic101 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:22 pm

Here’s the wear spots, this is when my wife was regularly parking in the garage through winters. So that’s about 5yrs of continuous in and out with weather. Now with the MG it doesn’t see as much traffic. Overall I think it’s held up well.

amckiwi
Name: Stu

Post by amckiwi » Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:59 pm

My floor looks like the last pic and sometimes paint sticks to the tyres
I do kit car enough to do anything about it though

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:55 pm

logan2z wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:42 pm
Depending on the square footage of your garage and your total budget, you may want to consider something like Race Deck. It seems like a pretty straightforward DIY install and looks pretty cool, without the downsides of epoxy.
thanks for the suggestion. i am doing a bunch of welding and cutting metal so I was informed it would not be the best solution. thanks though :salute:

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:58 pm

amckiwi wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:04 pm
No knowledge but am sure it’s mostly prep work

Also look out for something that is not to slippery when fluids are spilt on it
I will be putting a lot of flake in it so my fat ass stays on my own two feet. :mrgreen:
River Rat wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:10 pm
When in the Navy I painted more than I wanted to. But we used a lot of epoxy paint like none skid for out side decks. We’re deck grey with sand and epoxy mix.Prep is important. We got it to bare metal then red-lead then the none skid that had epoxy. Be sure to complete the job that day after you mix the epoxy it will be hard as rock the next day and useless.
mike thanks for the suggestions. you are spot on with what I found out when working with epoxy. :thumbsup:

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:03 pm

Erratic101 wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:51 pm
I have a really bad buckle in the garage floor though.

For prep I scrubbed all oil spots with a paint stripper attachment on a drill and then pressure washed the whole floor about 3 times with a concrete soap. Last was a straight wash with just water, and then let it totally dry. A floor sander is a great idea, but I’d probably still pressure wash it after.
we are getting our garage mudjacked before I start prepping it. all of the pro's have told me sanding is the way to go. so i probably do that and then wash it a few times.

thanks for the info :salute: