Done with Fleabay

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
Selym
Name: Myles

Re: Done with Fleabay

Post by Selym » Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:04 am

Does eBay require for sellers to provide their SSN?

demer03
Current Forecast: Vintage Doxa
Name: Mike

Post by demer03 » Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:28 am

Selym wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:04 am
Not sure. I refused
Old Michigan steams like a young man's dreams
The islands and bays are for sportsmen

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:29 am

sierra11b wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:57 pm
The lesson learned was 1) don’t ship usps international, 2) if you insist do not use registered mail even though it claims to be the most secure method; it’s only a secure as the postal system in the country, and 3) establish so the buyer assumes risk — never did this with Mike but I know he would have been good for it if we had. But the agreement is only worth the buyer’s integrity
no in the US is no-contact deliver. so if you pay for signature confirmation they do not have to get it. i recently sent a watch worth over 5k to a customer and they left it on his front porch for 2 days and the tracking was never updated. the only way to do it now is to use fedex and the receiver has to go to the fedex office to pick up the product. it suxs they have to drive to the nearest office but due to the "virus" this is one of the issues with ups and usps. :angryfire:

Steve O.
Name: Uh, Steve

Post by Steve O. » Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:34 pm

Selym wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:04 am
Yes, if you want to sell. I was told it was needed so that they could send me a 1099. A 1099 for a hobby! About the same time, I had called them after I received a notice stating that funds from a watch that I sold wouldn't be released to me until the buyer confirmed receipt. WTF?! The ebay rep I spoke to seemed like a decent guy, but said that was policy. I asked since when? I've never had funds held before. I did everything that I was supposed to do. I shipped the watch within two business days and provided tracking. I then started to tell the rep what a pain in the ass ebay has become. I told him that the site is now even more difficult to navigate, the increased fees are ridiculous, and now this funds hold policy? Uh-uh. He admitted that they were having trouble revamping the site (i.e. making it more complicated), and were receiving complaints about just about everything. I made it clear that if waiting for my money was the new way forward, then I was done with ebay. Not that I expected them to give a damn. Oddly, two days later, the money was in my bank account. Policy, my ass.

I mainly buy on ebay, not sell. Selling there is kind of a last ditch effort for me. Unfortunately, as flawed as they are, they have by far, the largest buying audience. I had two watches that had been languishing on WUS for a couple of months. I raised the price on each to help cover fees, and sold both within three days of listing .
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things." - George Carlin

DenverBuff
Name: Vic

Post by DenverBuff » Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:55 am

I've never sold a watch on EBay, but I've sold a few here and on WUS. And Rule No. 1 for me is no international shipping. None. Zero. It's a total PITA and not worth the hassle.

Not even Canada. I sent a $150 watch to Canada a couple of years ago and accidentally used the wrong shipping service( USPS v UPS - can't remember which one) , and the buyer got tagged with some outrageous import tax that I had to eat because I hit the wrong button on the PayPal site. Totally my fault but damn. Never again.

HapaHapa
Name: Eric

Post by HapaHapa » Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:52 pm

I think the last time I bought or sold on the bay was when a "new" watch looked like it spent time in a rock tumbler. And my refund was reversed by the seller's bank without explanation. And PayPal told me "sorry, their bank reversed the refund". And the seller was here in L.A., leaving me with a bad feeling about some crack-head criminal having my home address.
The Hapa

DoctorC
Name: Greg

Post by DoctorC » Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:06 am

DenverBuff wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:55 am
I've never sold a watch on EBay, but I've sold a few here and on WUS. And Rule No. 1 for me is no international shipping. None. Zero. It's a total PITA and not worth the hassle.

Not even Canada. I sent a $150 watch to Canada a couple of years ago and accidentally used the wrong shipping service( USPS v UPS - can't remember which one) , and the buyer got tagged with some outrageous import tax that I had to eat because I hit the wrong button on the PayPal site. Totally my fault but damn. Never again.
This ^^^^
I sent a watch (orient mako so about $100) to a member here from Denver to Canada.
Full tracking would have cost half the cost of the watch.
Through usps I could track it to Canadian customs.
Through Canada post I could track it from customs to the postal warehouse where it disappeared.
Canada post couldn't help unless I started a claim with usps.
Usps wouldn't help as I didn't pay the extra $30 for international tracking.
I ended up eating the watch and out shipping costs...
I haven't felt up to selling any since.
Greg