the age old argument... mechanical vs quartz

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
Wario406
Name: Mike

Post by Wario406 » Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:18 pm

I woke up this morning in a great mood today and thought "wtf - my G-Shock needs some love" and I threw on my ultra cheap-ultra clean GW-3500B, and I couldnt help but smile. I've ignored it for at least a couple of months and I had a lot of fun to wearing and appreciating it today.

I've been wearing a lot of quartz over the last few weeks. My new Sinn EZM2 Hydro, my Ares SOG, my Casio AMW320R, my Marathon TSAR... and, I LOVE them all! I also recently read some interesting internet fodder articles on the quartz wars and various peoples opinions on QvM.

https://www.thewatchcompany.com/blog/qu ... c-watches/
https://www.montredo.com/the-quartz-cri ... cal-watch/
https://www.watchmaster.com/en/journal/ ... h-industry

I'd have a hard time picking any one of each watch as a favorite, but if someone took my margarita and said they wouldn't give it back until I picked a fav out of my collection - I'd have to pick my 2254.5 that I got here thanks to you mutts. But... I'd be remiss if I didnt say I love that "dark" grab-n-go side of my box too and was wondering what ya'll think about this as you pour your drink on this fine Friday night?!

What's your fav mechanical, what's your fav quartz, and - why?

I love my 2254.5 because it speaks to me. It stands above my other mechs as being that "67 Chevelle". It's dressy, it's sporty, it's a riot to wear, and - it's very much a classic.

I love my Ares SOG because of many of the reasons I love my 2254.5, AND because it's bomb proof. I only have to touch the crown twice a year, and the design and lume just make me grin every time I look at it.

IMG_3957.jpeg
IMG_3494.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It is better to know how to learn than to know.
Dr. Seuss

AtomicTom
Nuclear Personality!!!!
Name: Tom

Re: the age old argument... mechanical vs quartz

Post by AtomicTom » Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:06 am

Some really terrific articles there Mike, thanks so much for posting them up ! :thumbsup: :salute:
I always think about it what it must have been like at the time for so many of
the Swiss watch brands. They must have thought the sky was falling, and in so
many ways, I guess it was. Seemingly out of the blue, mechanical watches, as
well as the companies who made them were in danger. It must have been a
genuine nightmare. And as we know, so many watch companies ended up just
disappearing. ..That's what was so sad about the Quartz Crisis.

But if we can look at a bright side, it did help the industry transform itself.
Where we saw Swiss companies offering more, and more quartz watches at
the same time as mechanical. And saw a lot of the bigger brands help rescue
at least some of the struggling smaller brands. Plus many smaller brands did
end up surviving.

It's just really interesting to think about the Quartz Crisis, and how it came
about. ..I often wonder how things would be today if we didn't have it. :o
Or how different things would be in the industry today.

It's tough to imagine, and to be completely honest with you, it's tough for me
to pick a favorite mechanical, and quartz watch as well. :oops: I've just always
had this strange inability to choose favorites. And in all truthfulness I really
do enjoy each, and every one of my watches. I mean I may really appreciate,
and even prefer mechanical watches. However, I still like quartz as well.
Seriously, it's not just tough to choose a favorite, it's near impossible for me
sir. :grin: ..But it is a fantastic topic !!!

flyskate
Name: Stephen

Post by flyskate » Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:49 pm

Although there are a few really high quality quartz watches made, I just don't warm up to them like I do for mechanical watches. Just 1 or 2 notable exceptions there though, the Breitling Aerospace EVO in titanium, and the Grand Seiko SBGX341. I will own them someday. There is something organic about a mechanical movement, it beats, like it's alive in a sense, something lacking in the quartz movements. Even though they are more accurate, to me they are cold. In many ways, mechanical movements are like us, not perfect, variation in accuracy between movements types and grades, they can run down, and have to be maintained, (more so than just changing a battery), and unlike quartz, I think, less disposable. (although as a watch collector, I've certainly flipped my share of mechanical watches! ) Lol! For me, not perfect, but more lovable!
Stephen

sierra11b
Name: Eric

Post by sierra11b » Sat Jul 30, 2022 5:55 pm

7C46 is another great movement outside of the super quartz.

59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!
Name: David

Post by 59yukon01 » Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:37 pm

^^^This! Love my Tuna and I'll wear it several days in a row, but 8 of my 12 watches are automatics and they do get the most wear. I have a few solar quartz watches I really like as well.

Wario406

Post by Wario406 » Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:48 pm

The spring drive Seiko's all make me drool... would I trade my SMP for one? No. Would I consider trading some others for the right quartz? Yes. I still have the Omega X33 in my sights at some point.
Dr. Seuss

r.palace

Post by r.palace » Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:18 pm

The Aerospace Evo super quartz and Spring Drive Tuna were two bad ass quartz pieces I’ve previously owned and I would love to own again some day.

I prefer auto over quartz at least just for the appreciation of engineering behind the former but some times nothing beats a grab and go battery powered.
ImageImage
Many will register, few will last :htfu:

Zidane
Stevie's Nick
Name: Nick

Post by Zidane » Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:09 pm

Mechanicals have more soul to me, but the ability to grab, go, and low maintenance of the quartz movements make my X-33’s and 2264 keepers.

bedlam
Name: Carl

Post by bedlam » Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:31 pm

r.palace wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:18 pm
The Aerospace Evo super quartz and Spring Drive Tuna were two bad ass quartz pieces I’ve previously owned and I would love to own again some day.

I prefer auto over quartz at least just for the appreciation of engineering behind the former but some times nothing beats a grab and go battery powered.
The Spring Drives are mechanical watches with quartz regulation. Literally they are a mechanical calibre with an electromechanical brake attached.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:39 pm

i like them all. i like grabbing a quartz and just going.

BacoNoir
Name: Roger

Post by BacoNoir » Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:58 pm

I’ve been wearing the AW non stop up here at the ranch. With all the physical work each day, nothing else makes sense. I brought 5 mechanicals with me. I’ve only put one on probably 3 times in 3 1/2 weeks.
www.simplynoble.net
Time Magazine Person of the Year - 2006

Wario406

Post by Wario406 » Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:47 pm

BacoNoir wrote:I’ve been wearing the AW non stop up here at the ranch. With all the physical work each day, nothing else makes sense. I brought 5 mechanicals with me. I’ve only put one on probably 3 times in 3 1/2 weeks.
I get it - but, it’s a wrist computer. It does tell time - but, that’s the only thing that earns it the word watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dr. Seuss

r.palace

Post by r.palace » Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:23 pm

bedlam wrote:
r.palace wrote:

The Spring Drives are mechanical watches with quartz regulation. Literally they are a mechanical calibre with an electromechanical brake attached.
Yes, I’m aware. Still not a traditional automatic Image
ImageImage
Many will register, few will last :htfu:

OrangeSport
Name: Jason

Post by OrangeSport » Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:35 pm

I have 3 quartz watches in my collection. Movement-wise I definitely prefer mechanical to regular quartz. But movements are only part of the overall watch.

I think quartz is great for people who find mechanical watches too much messing about. Some people just don’t want that.

I do have a soft spot for HAQs and even more so for solar powered quartz watches. This is the only one I have at the moment:
DF566224-0513-462F-88B1-36B2FCCD4C0A.jpeg
It has the added bonus of connecting to the atomic clock so it’s always spot on. I like the idea of a watch that will never stop, sort of like the terminator!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bedlam
Name: Carl

Post by bedlam » Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:41 pm

r.palace wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:23 pm
bedlam wrote:
r.palace wrote:

Yes, I’m aware. Still not a traditional automatic Image
Yeah, yeah, but its definitely not a 'badass quartz piece' though.

Bolting a quartz regulator onto a mechanical movement doesn't make it a quartz any more than putting an ECU on a petrol engine makes it an EV.

:thumbsup:

Wario406

Post by Wario406 » Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:05 am

OrangeSport wrote:I have 3 quartz watches in my collection. Movement-wise I definitely prefer mechanical to regular quartz. But movements are only part of the overall watch.

I think quartz is great for people who find mechanical watches too much messing about. Some people just don’t want that.

I do have a soft spot for HAQs and even more so for solar powered quartz watches. This is the only one I have at the moment:
DF566224-0513-462F-88B1-36B2FCCD4C0A.jpeg
It has the added bonus of connecting to the atomic clock so it’s always spot on. I like the idea of a watch that will never stop, sort of like the terminator!
I have that GShock and really like it too.

Dr. Seuss

BacoNoir
Name: Roger

Post by BacoNoir » Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:39 pm

Wario406 wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:47 pm
BacoNoir wrote:I’ve been wearing the AW non stop up here at the ranch. With all the physical work each day, nothing else makes sense. I brought 5 mechanicals with me. I’ve only put one on probably 3 times in 3 1/2 weeks.
I get it - but, it’s a wrist computer. It does tell time - but, that’s the only thing that earns it the word watch.

Agree to disagree. I'll take it over almost any quartz other than my Aerospace. The ticking second hand drive me nuts on quartz, and even more so when it doesn't hit the markers.
www.simplynoble.net
Time Magazine Person of the Year - 2006

Wario406

Post by Wario406 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:24 pm

BacoNoir wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:39 pm
Wario406 wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:47 pm

Agree to disagree. I'll take it over almost any quartz other than my Aerospace. The ticking second hand drive me nuts on quartz, and even more so when it doesn't hit the markers.
I hear what you're saying - but, any apple watch will be useless in 5 years from when it's bought because it can no longer take software updates. Your quartz will still be running tens of years from now. The Apple watch does have some cool features and complications - and, their use as a medical monitor is very powerful. But, I see them as just a part of the continuous investment in the ecosystem. I also find them to be very fragile. I've broke the screen on every one I've had - and I've had three generations of them.

Im sure my definition of a watch is where the rub is coming in. I think a watch is something that should at last one or more lifetimes - not something that becomes useless and is thrown away (or recycled) after 5 years.
Dr. Seuss

hidden by leaves
Name: Anthony

Post by hidden by leaves » Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:47 am

Meh. Fussing about labels. Can someone move this thread to WUS?

Send lawyers, guns and money...

Wario406

Post by Wario406 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:25 am

hidden by leaves wrote:Meh. Fussing about labels. Can someone move this thread to WUS?

You are right! LOL! My humble apologies…

Dr. Seuss