Ebay Selling Question - What Happens Now?

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
ncstate1201
Name: Geoff B

Ebay Selling Question - What Happens Now?

Post by ncstate1201 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:20 am

So someone submitted an offer on a relatively inexpensive watch, I accepted, they paid instantly. I shipped via USPS... they literally never accepted the package, they got a notice (reminder for delivery or something of the sorts from USPS), and now the thing is getting shipped all the way back to me.

I sold returns not accepted, this could be their way of dealing with buyers remorse without even seeing the watch. But given our uncertain times I just hope the guy is ok. I did send him a note about it through ebay and he didn't respond, so even though he is a stranger, I am really hoping for the best for him, I am kind of worried because I know I run to the mailbox when I buy a watch, that is one of the best parts.

Now for the part on my side... I guess I am stuck with paying the shipping fees I already paid (even though that went through ebay, I am assuming it doesn't get reimbursed, at least it is relatively small), I am guessing ebay will refund my seller fees (they should), and do I have to pay for return shipping too? Just a strange situation overall. And do I have setup a return/refund through ebay, usually the buyer does that, but in this case he is unresponsive? I am just really hoping this guy is ok.

OrangeSport
Name: Jason

Re: Ebay Selling Question - What Happens Now?

Post by OrangeSport » Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:07 am

I would just hold the watch and wait to hear. You can't do much more.

If he gets in touch I would likely repost for free, or maybe split the difference..

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:10 am

I agree with Jason. At this point you have the watch and his money (less the shipping fee). I don't think USPS charges you for the return shipping, but you'd have to check their website for that.

I think the best bet is to sit on the watch for a while and make a few more attempts to contact the buyer. I'd use Ebay's services for this as you will want a record of the attempts.

At some point you might have to refund the guy his money, but I am not certain how that process works.

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:19 am

There have been enough horror stories to prevent me from ever selling on eBay again.

tyd450
Name: Tyler

Post by tyd450 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:20 am

I would wait until you get the watch back and then probably just follow the necessary steps to refund through eBay/PayPal and move on. I wouldn't want to hold on to both the watch and his money because that would just open up the possibility of him filing a claim on his end saying he never received the watch after paying for it.

This all assumes that you don't hear anything from him, I guess if he reaches out with an explanation and still wants the watch, I would either ask him to pay for the shipping to send it again or offer a refund.

ncstate1201

Post by ncstate1201 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:36 am

Thanks all for the solid advice... tons of transactions on there just never had this happen

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Post by BBK357 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:29 am

I don’t think you should refund until he responds to you and request one. Only because Ebay is particular about issuing refunds and if you do it early before he request then it may not “register” with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:39 am

hoppyjr wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:19 am
There have been enough horror stories to prevent me from ever selling on eBay again.
I would rather smash my watch with a hammer than dealing with that headache. Or burn it on a grill Pat style.

ncstate1201

Post by ncstate1201 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:24 pm

BBK357 wrote:I don’t think you should refund until he responds to you and request one. Only because Ebay is particular about issuing refunds and if you do it early before he request then it may not “register” with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Excellent point...

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

streetracer101
Name: Mr Shackleford

Post by streetracer101 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:58 pm

Had the same issue years ago. I kept the funds, goods were returned and never heard from the buyer. Since I received the item back and never heard from the buyer, I didn’t file for a credit. Let things pan out and don’t stress it. I ended up donating the sold goods in the end.