Aquis reloaded – my new version

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
colonel
Name: Harold Miller

Aquis reloaded – my new version

Post by colonel » Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:54 am

The Oris Aquis is one of my favourite divers. I have the original Aquis and wrote about it here:
https://www.thedivewatchconnection.com/ ... 10ee385994

What I like about it are the recognisable looks in an ocean of competing diver watches, the super round case design and IMHO the most comfortable design for a large dial watch, especially with smaller wrists.
I recently added the new Aquis to my collection (yes I know, it came out in 2018, I am just a little slow!) and wanted to just talk about the differences with the original.
I think Oris has done a superb job of tweaking a great design further, for comfort and looks, keeping the DNA of the original.
Talking about the case first, Oris has made the case thinner, the lugs slightly thinner, the lug-to-lug smaller whilst increasing the size of the dial by 0.5m to 43.5mm, making the watch more comfortable whilst increasing its presence.
The original 43mm Aquis was 50.5mm lug-to-lug. The new 43.5mm Aquis has a 49.5mm lug to lug. You can see, even on my small 6.7” wrist, the lugs don’t even reach to the edge.
From the front the previous version had a lightly polished ceramic bezel and a very dark grey/black dial. More toolish I would say. The new version has a high polished black bezel with an inky back and polished dial. This is more beautiful and I guess more dressy. On the colour scheme I picked it has orange lume pips, including at 12 o’clock on the bezel, which glows green rather then the blue of the previous version. I think the orange, as well as being a bit more sporty, is clearer to see, and allows the minute pips and bezel minutes in white to be differentiated better.
The new bezel protrudes slightly more then the older one, making it a bit easier to turn.
The hour hand has been slightly thinned and shortened, and the second segment has been moved towards the end. The minute hand has been lengthened, and in line with the hour hand, is now a tapering sword with no bump in the middle.
On the new 43.5mm the etching on the crown is finer and the crown guards are slightly smaller and sharper.

Lastly, the lug screws are now triangular like the crown screws. Previously they were a single slot and therefore more convenient to turn with a conventional screw driver, but looked a big out of place with the crown guard ones, which looked more jewellery like. Note that the latest Aquis 400 movements have introduced an easy release system which no long needs to be screwed off.
The bracelet has seen some quite large changes. It is 1.5 mm smaller at the lug, at 24mm across, and tapers much more sharply to a diminutive 16mm. The buckle and levers are still fully milled, with the excellent twin catch safety system, and still has the divers extension and three micro adjusts, but is proportionally smaller. The buckle has also been smartened up with edge bevelling. The bracelet is also thinner. The effect is a much more refined bracelet which is lighter, but not as hefty and tooly as the original.
In summary, the new 43.5mm Aquis has been made more comfortable, more refined and lighter. Making it the size of choice IMHO for even small wrists.

rockmastermike
Feedback Virtuoso
Name: WDE

Re: Aquis reloaded – my new version

Post by rockmastermike » Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:20 am

looks great on your wrist, the changes, while subtle, make an impression while wearing it. :thumbsup:

spring-diver
Name: Shannon

Post by spring-diver » Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:19 pm

Thanks for the write up. I’ve been a fan of the Aquis for a long time. Since the 2018 update, I think Oris did a great job on all the little refinements. I would love to see a grade 5 Ti with fully brushed finish including the ceramic insert with a black dial.

Shannon
Seiko: SBDB001, SBDX001, SRP777

Sinn: EZM9, T1, T1B, 836 & 857S

:cheers:

tmw
Name: The Enabler

Post by tmw » Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:46 pm

See if you can get a gasgasbones custom Oris strap. The only way to rock it (I have my carsyfort on his nato/Velcro strap).
Stan, don’t you know the first law of physics? Anything that’s fun costs at least eight dollars”
-- Eric Cartman

“To absent friends, lost loves, old gods, and the season of mists; and may each and every one of us always give the devil his due.”
― Neil Gaiman, The Sandman

I bought a cheap watch from a crazy man
Floating down canal
It doesn't use numbers or moving hands
It always just says now
Now you may be thinking that I was had
But this watch is never wrong
And If I have trouble the warranty said
Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On

- Jimmy Buffett

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire
Name: Paul

Post by deepcdvr » Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:23 pm

That’s fantastic

A bit too shiny for me, but an awesome watch - love Oris
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM

ncstate1201
Name: Geoff B

Post by ncstate1201 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:22 am

Gotta stop looking at this

AtomicTom
Nuclear Personality!!!!
Name: Tom

Post by AtomicTom » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:50 am

Very nice Harold, wow, it's something how small changes can have a
big impact like this. :salute:

A lot of times watch brands will just release new models of the the
same model line, and hardly even change one detail. Or will outright
not change anything at all. However, it sounds like Oris never want
to rest on it's laurels, or is content to do the usual. :thumbsup: :clap: It is so
nice to see. Plus what is impressive, is that Oris almost always seems
to do the right thing when it comes to the changes that they do make
right?! You would swear that they must be listening to their fans just
like you, or us. Becasue they always seem to do the right things. ;)

Seems like you have another winner from Oris in the stable there.
Can't thank you enough for sharing this look at it, along with review
with us. ..An OUTSTANDING Oris congrats here to you !!!