watch insurance

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
andrema
Bean Counter Extraordinaire
Name: William Drayton, Jr.

watch insurance

Post by andrema » Thu Dec 23, 2021 2:04 pm

Hey! I am thinking of doing some comparison shopping on watch insurance for my collection. What do you guys currently use? I haven't been in the loop lately, so I don't want to miss any preferred companies. :fro: :shrug:

r.palace

Re: watch insurance

Post by r.palace » Thu Dec 23, 2021 2:10 pm

Timely thread. Thinking about the same.

I’ve heard some folks mention Hodinkee’s insurance but haven’t looked into it in depth.
ImageImage
Many will register, few will last :htfu:

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Thu Dec 23, 2021 2:13 pm

I use State Farm and have a Personal Articles policy as a rider on my homeowners policy. Cost depends on what you have insured, but I believe around $50k is maybe $35/month.

flyskate
Name: Stephen

Post by flyskate » Thu Dec 23, 2021 2:36 pm

Stephen

r.palace

Post by r.palace » Thu Dec 23, 2021 2:42 pm

hoppyjr wrote:I use State Farm and have a Personal Articles policy as a rider on my homeowners policy. Cost depends on what you have insured, but I believe around $50k is maybe $35/month.
My concern w that is a potential theft of a watch screwing up my premium. Rather a homeowners claim be on a roof or dwelling IMO.
ImageImage

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:03 pm

r.palace wrote:
hoppyjr wrote:I use State Farm and have a Personal Articles policy as a rider on my homeowners policy. Cost depends on what you have insured, but I believe around $50k is maybe $35/month.
My concern w that is a potential theft of a watch screwing up my premium. Rather a homeowners claim be on a roof or dwelling IMO.
I doubt that would be an issue, unless you had multiple claims in a short period.

r.palace

watch insurance

Post by r.palace » Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:09 pm

hoppyjr wrote:
r.palace wrote:
I doubt that would be an issue, unless you had multiple claims in a short period.
Depends on the market. In my market, S.FL, any claim is a negative even if legit. I hadn’t made a claim on my homeowners policy since I bought the house over 5 years ago. Made a roof claim for Hurricane Irma and my rates skyrocketed the year after. I’ve worked in the insurance industry in one capacity or another for close to 15 years; carriers hate S. Florida Image

ImageImage

Chocodove
Name: Todd

watch insurance

Post by Chocodove » Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:51 pm

I’ve used Jewelers Mutual for years. Easy and seems to be a decent rate. Was able to insure my Sub for market price painlessly. Never had a claim thankfully, but feedback around the web seems to indicate they’ll take care of you if anything ever happened.

ETA: very easy to remove/add if you flip.
- Todd

OrangeSport
Name: Jason

Post by OrangeSport » Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:04 am

Mine are all covered on the home insurance against theft, damage and loss. Nothing under £15k needs specifically naming, although I am careful to keep receipts and photos, just in case.

Blaine
Name: Blaine

Post by Blaine » Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:53 am

OrangeSport wrote:Mine are all covered on the home insurance against theft, damage and loss. Nothing under £15k needs specifically naming, although I am careful to keep receipts and photos, just in case.
Good point. I found having appraisals added as an addendum to my homeowners policy is helpful and a good paper trail. Though, with the recent surge is pricing, updated appraisals may be necessary. I have to check into Jewelers Mutual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimyritz
Masshole
Name: Mike

Post by jimyritz » Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:33 am

Combination of Home Insurance and Jewelers Mutual..

Captdave
Name: Dave

watch insurance

Post by Captdave » Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:45 am

Like Ed I have a rider on my homeowners policy but, now will be checking into jewelers Mutual. Thanks for the great info guys and a Happy Christmas Eve to all.

Live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse.

SoCal C4S
Name: RJ

Post by SoCal C4S » Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:00 am

Have had a State Farm Personal Articles Policy for a decade. Have $50k worth of coverage, $0 deductible for claims, and it is fairly painless to get going.

Skinny Rogers
Name: Lance

Post by Skinny Rogers » Fri Dec 24, 2021 7:44 pm

Jewelers Mutual for me.

We have the no deductible plan.

Watches and wife’s jewelry.

Very easy and not expensive.

r.palace

Post by r.palace » Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:16 am

Just got a quote from Hodinkee (Chubb Insurance) and Jewelers Mutual.

Quote from JM was about the same as Hodinkee and I was able to include my wife’s rings.

Will more than likely go the JM route.
ImageImage

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:21 am

How are you guys handing appraisals? Every time I’ve looked into it, the appraiser wants me to leave my watches and all documentation for at least a week.

I’m not comfortable with someone having their hands all over my stuff, maybe pulling bracelets off or whatever, so I never do it.

r.palace

watch insurance

Post by r.palace » Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:40 am

JP Chestnut wrote:How are you guys handing appraisals? Every time I’ve looked into it, the appraiser wants me to leave my watches and all documentation for at least a week.

I’m not comfortable with someone having their hands all over my stuff, maybe pulling bracelets off or whatever, so I never do it.
Neither one of the companies I mentioned require an appraisal to start coverage. However, in the unfortunate event you have to file a claim, they would require a detailed receipt or appraisal.

ImageImage

Zidane
Stevie's Nick
Name: Nick

Post by Zidane » Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:43 am

r.palace wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:40 am
JP Chestnut wrote:How are you guys handing appraisals? Every time I’ve looked into it, the appraiser wants me to leave my watches and all documentation for at least a week.

Neither one of the companies I mentioned require an appraisal to start coverage. However, in the unfortunate event you have to file a claim, they would require a detailed receipt or appraisal.
How does that work? If you need to file a claim, theoretically there's not a watch to have appraised at that point. :shrug:

r.palace

Post by r.palace » Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:46 am

Zidane wrote:
r.palace wrote:

How does that work? If you need to file a claim, theoretically there's not a watch to have appraised at that point. :shrug:
Beats me lol. Just reading the fine print Image
ImageImage

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:48 am

Zidane wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:43 am
r.palace wrote:

I think you effectively need to appraise first. Allowing coverage first is just a ruse to collect money and potentially avoid paying out.

r.palace

Post by r.palace » Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:50 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
Zidane wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:43 am
r.palace wrote:

I think you effectively need to appraise first. Allowing coverage first is just a ruse to collect money and potentially avoid paying out.
I don’t disagree.

Can any of JM or Hodinkee dudes chime in?
ImageImage

SoCal C4S

Post by SoCal C4S » Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:54 am

I have my watches appraised online (by Elite Timepieces) before insuring them: send in a bunch of detailed pictures, angles, boxes and paperwork (if present), etc. and pay the fee. A legit appraisal comes back in an email, and I send that over to my State Farm agent and add it to my personal articles policy. Easy day, all around.

r.palace

Post by r.palace » Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:58 am

SoCal C4S wrote:I have my watches appraised online (by Elite Timepieces) before insuring them: send in a bunch of detailed pictures, angles, boxes and paperwork (if present), etc. and pay the fee. A legit appraisal comes back in an email, and I send that over to my State Farm agent and add it to my personal articles policy. Easy day, all around.
Thanks for the heads up :cheers:
ImageImage

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:15 am

SoCal C4S wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:54 am
I have my watches appraised online (by Elite Timepieces) before insuring them: send in a bunch of detailed pictures, angles, boxes and paperwork (if present), etc. and pay the fee. A legit appraisal comes back in an email, and I send that over to my State Farm agent and add it to my personal articles policy. Easy day, all around.
Thanks, bud. That’s what I’m looking for. Can you recall the fee?

SoCal C4S

Post by SoCal C4S » Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:16 am

I believe it’s $40 per watch. Cheaper than having someone do it in person, and usually a 24-hour or less turnaround time.