Name: Hoppy

Re: So, its official now - Tudor x Marine Nationale

Post by hoppyjr » Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:56 am

dnslater wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:47 am
dnslater wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:38 am
So the original Pelagos was 50mm lug to lug and 42mm in diameter, and we all cried out for a smaller version.... and they give us a new Pelagos that is 52mm lug to lug and 42mm.... God Damnit Tudor!

I know it is a little thinner, but still...
Not only is the lug to lug long, but the strap is going to have to go around the full length of the lugs:

Which is going to cause it to flair out even further than it would if it had to go around a fixed spring bar in the usual spot.

I think is a pretty cool watch that will work well for some people, but the niche of people who have a large enough wrist for this watch and who will spend almost $4k for a nato only watch seems kinda small.
Yeah, I would be a buyer at 40mm, but my BB58 blue is safe at these dimensions.
hoppyjr wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:48 am
I’d imagine the L-2-L is the same, but measured a different way with the different style lugs.
Maybe, but then they are still giving us a new Pelagos that is less versatile with similar dimensions as the original. Just strange decision making.

The fixed lug design really lends itself towards a smaller case.
40mm case with 41 bezel, 11mm thick, 20mm lugs, 48-49 lug to lug. Would have been perfection.

jswing
Founder, TDWC MM300 Fan Club
Name: Jeff

Post by jswing » Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:48 pm

Here's the first hands on video I've seen. Interestingly, he says the LTL is 49.9, although I'm not sure how he came up with that measurement. That's probably the visible lug length, with the remainder hidden under the strap? Guy's got a 6.75" wrist, and while it's certainly not small it doesn't look clownish IMO.

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:54 pm

jswing wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:48 pm
Here's the first hands on video I've seen. Interestingly, he says the LTL is 49.9, although I'm not sure how he came up with that measurement. That's probably the visible lug length, with the remainder hidden under the strap? Guy's got a 6.75" wrist, and while it's certainly not small it doesn't look clownish IMO.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TlFZJ_LkzU&t=94s[/youtube]
Good video. I think it looks great. Color is good, design is nice. I think it looks very large on that guy's wrist though.

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:54 pm

Bi-directional bezel.... that's a bit weird.

I'm not saying I don't like it, but I find myself leaning more towards the OG version.

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:02 pm

Ryeguy wrote:Bi-directional bezel.... that's a bit weird.

I'm not saying I don't like it, but I find myself leaning more towards the OG version.
No different that a Sinn EZM1 or 1.1. Great for timing stuff, just not ideal for diving - but that’s what dive computers are for, right?

jswing

Post by jswing » Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:09 pm

JP Chestnut wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:54 pm
jswing wrote:

Good video. I think it looks great. Color is good, design is nice. I think it looks very large on that guy's wrist though.
Shhhh, his wrist is the same size as mine. I've tried on a Pelagos 4 or 5 times, and every time walk away without one based on it's size, so there's a very good chance that will happen again with this one, but for just one day I'm going to pretend Tudor released exactly what I was hoping for. :lol:

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:53 pm

hoppyjr wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:02 pm

No different that a Sinn EZM1 or 1.1. Great for timing stuff, just not ideal for diving - but that’s what dive computers are for, right?
Agreed, but I was thinking this was a dive watch when actually it is more of an underwater navigation aid.

I was like - fully indexed bezel - yeah!
bi-directional bezel - boo!

In any regard, I'll not be diving with a $4K watch. I have plenty of low to mid tier Seiko's that are more than up to the task.

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:59 pm

hoppyjr wrote:

The Tudor has a countdown bezel, which I assume is why they went bi-directional.

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:13 pm

Ryeguy wrote:
hoppyjr wrote:

Agreed, but I was thinking this was a dive watch when actually it is more of an underwater navigation aid.

I was like - fully indexed bezel - yeah!
bi-directional bezel - boo!

In any regard, I'll not be diving with a $4K watch. I have plenty of low to mid tier Seiko's that are more than up to the task.
I see it as a great all-purpose watch with excellent water resistance.

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:30 pm

jswing wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:09 pm
JP Chestnut wrote:
jswing wrote:

Shhhh, his wrist is the same size as mine. I've tried on a Pelagos 4 or 5 times, and every time walk away without one based on it's size, so there's a very good chance that will happen again with this one, but for just one day I'm going to pretend Tudor released exactly what I was hoping for. :lol:
I get it. Everything bigger than my Daytona looks huge on me. :shrug:

streetracer101
Name: Mr Shackleford

Post by streetracer101 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:37 pm

JP Chestnut wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:30 pm
jswing wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
jswing wrote:

It looks big to me too. I have a 6.5" wrist. I used to think the U50 was silly...now I want to try one because every watch 44mm+ I flip.

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:42 pm

streetracer101 wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:37 pm
JP Chestnut wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:30 pm
jswing wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
jswing wrote:

It looks big to me too. I have a 6.5" wrist. I used to think the U50 was silly...now I want to try one because every watch 44mm+ I flip.
I think my wrist might be a little smaller than that, though I'm not sure anymore -- I'm old and fat now.

jswing

Post by jswing » Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:42 pm

Same here. I bumped my limit to 41 for my Sub, and I'm fine with that, but realistically that's probably my limit. I wear an Arnie sometimes (I think you have a tuna) but somehow huge, shrouded Seikos seem different. The truth is I'm disappointed this isn't 40x48. I may pass on it entirely, or (more likely based on previous history) I may buy it, wear it for a week, realize it looks stupid, and flip it.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:48 pm

jswing wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:42 pm
Same here. I bumped my limit to 41 for my Sub, and I'm fine with that, but realistically that's probably my limit. I wear an Arnie sometimes (I think you have a tuna) but somehow huge, shrouded Seikos seem different. The truth is I'm disappointed this isn't 40x48. I may pass on it entirely, or (more likely based on previous history) I may buy it, wear it for a week, realize it looks stupid, and flip it.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk
I do have a Tuna. Somehow the Tuna is less visually jarring on my wrist than my 42mm PO and Speedmaster. I think it's that the Tuna is clearly an outrageous watch by design, so "it looks big" takes a back seat to "WTF is that?" Both my Omegas are probably "too big" for me, but I like them and they're comfortable so the style police can kick rocks.

hoppyjr
HJ

So, its official now - Tudor x Marine Nationale

Post by hoppyjr » Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:12 pm

James Stacey’s hands-on article:

“Hands-On: The Tudor Pelagos FXD Ref. 25707B” via @watchville https://api.watchville.co/v2/posts/65498/click

A photo on Terry’s UTE strap too Image

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:22 pm

It's a very pretty watch. That rubber strap is terrible though. It looks like shit on the watch in the images on Tudor's website.

logan2z
IT Admin
Name: Andrew

Post by logan2z » Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:33 pm

It's a very cool looking watch, but I'm not sure I understand the appeal of the fixed lugs. I know I'm in the minority here, but I think I'd prefer the watch with 'regular' lugs that could accommodate a bracelet and a wider variety of straps.

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:40 pm

I’d have been satisfied with drilled lugs and shoulderless spring bars, but the fixed lugs make me very happy, as this will become my daily nato watch.

A big sell off post is forthcoming….

dukerules

Post by dukerules » Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:44 pm

hoppyjr wrote:James Stacey’s hands-on article:

“Hands-On: The Tudor Pelagos FXD Ref. 25707B” via @watchville https://api.watchville.co/v2/posts/65498/click

A photo on Terry’s UTE strap too Image

James Stacey does great reviews. This one really drives home that this is not a watch I’m interested in buying.

raf42
Fister
Name: Rob

Post by raf42 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:58 pm

I love it. But, the fixed lugs would likely keep me on the sidelines. That, and the blue might be a bit to bright (many pics make it look perfect, but having tried on blue Pelagos, that lighter blue was not for me - this would have to be a significantly darker shade). Regular lugs and a true navy blue color and I'd be all over it.

BlueSky
Name: David

Post by BlueSky » Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:02 pm

Another difference, if my terminology is correct, is the way the chapter ring is not sandwiched over the markers on this one. I prefer the original.

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:05 pm

JP Chestnut wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:48 pm
I do have a Tuna. Somehow the Tuna is less visually jarring on my wrist than my 42mm PO and Speedmaster. I think it's that the Tuna is clearly an outrageous watch by design, so "it looks big" takes a back seat to "WTF is that?" Both my Omegas are probably "too big" for me, but I like them and they're comfortable so the style police can kick rocks.
Tuna is my one big watch too. Agree that it is an exception as it has no pretense of being a daily wearer.

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Post by Chocodove » Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:18 pm

With the expectation/hope this would be 40mm, I was actually considering cashing in on my Sub41 (before the new tax crap, of course), being happy with this as a quirky and interesting daily, and being mostly done. Alas, was not meant to be for this release.
- Todd

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:25 pm

Chocodove wrote:With the expectation/hope this would be 40mm, I was actually considering cashing in on my Sub41 (before the new tax crap, of course), being happy with this as a quirky and interesting daily, and being mostly done. Alas, was not meant to be for this release.
I’ll never sell my Sub41. This would make an excellent companion to it.