Jeep99dad
Grand-père
Name: Brice

Re: Baby Dreadnought polar dial

Post by Jeep99dad » Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:01 am

Seppia wrote:
gonzomantis wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:37 am
No. Eddie doesn’t offer things for sale unless he has them in stock. His pricing is fair, but his customer service isn’t highly regarded.
Jeep99dad wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:37 am
Relax buddy. It’s not even released yet. Good grief. Image
Still there is no watch for sale on his "online watch shop".
Seems exactly the same as Rolex (only without being Rolex).
So I guess he's pulling a Halios, where watches are available for 0.000001 seconds on the site?

good for him if he's successful, but won't work for me :)
I like the watch though!
Not sure what’s on the site on the regular to be honest as I don’t frequent it however I digger emails from them showing availability, new models and when sites will be open for those. I don’t particularly like that process and the site still Seems to be antiquated format but it seems to work for him.
At least he doesn’t take money up front to find new stuff that takes months to get
Merde Alors! Et Vive Les Francais! :)

gonzomantis
Name: Mike

Post by gonzomantis » Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:42 am

Eddie regularly displays information about prototypes and future models in his forum page.

Here is the page for this watch: https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php? ... ught-Polar

Brice is right - he doesn't take money up front for watch purposes. One disadvantage of his system is that he only opens the store about once every week or two, and closes it when he reaches a certain number of orders. That window is usually about 2-5 minutes, due to demand. The offered explanation is that he is a one man shop, and limits the number of orders to what he can process in the interval between shop openings.

pbj204
Name: Paul

Post by pbj204 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:11 pm

JP Chestnut wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:04 pm
I, and I think a lot of the hobby, have moved on from watches like that but a bit of nostalgia is nice to have.
Another DWC Ennebi group buy? I'm in!

gonzomantis
Name: Mike

Post by gonzomantis » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:18 am

Seppia wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:03 am
gonzomantis wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:37 am
No. Eddie doesn’t offer things for sale unless he has them in stock. His pricing is fair, but his customer service isn’t highly regarded.
Jeep99dad wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:37 am
Relax buddy. It’s not even released yet. Good grief. Image
Still there is no watch for sale on his "online watch shop".
Seems exactly the same as Rolex (only without being Rolex).
So I guess he's pulling a Halios, where watches are available for 0.000001 seconds on the site?

good for him if he's successful, but won't work for me :)
I like the watch though!
For sale tomorrow. Act quickly, because the store will likely close within a few minutes of opening.

Axelay2003
Name: Gerard

Post by Axelay2003 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:45 pm

Shit! Why did I even open this post. :banghead:
It's a beautiful world! Gerald.

namor
Name: Seth

Post by namor » Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:52 am

I bought a Baby Dread when it was first released. I had an original Dreadnought way back when a micro was a new and exciting thing. There really wasn't anything else like it on the market and there were only 200 in the world. Plus, Eddie priced it very fairly, and eaxh one was hand adjusted by Dornbluth so it kept superb time. But it was too big for my comfort, and I eventually moved it.

I was excited to get another one sized more rationally...until it arrived. Its a perfectly fine watch, but it has NONE of the vibe that the Dreadnought had, and it wears small the way Eddie's version of the Benrus MKI, the PRS18, does. Its not a shrunk down version of the original.

BTW, I've bought about 6 watches from Eddie, never had the slightest problem with any, and he usually is lightening fast shipping from the UK. I think most of the negativity surrounding him is unmerited, and he doesn't get nearly enough credit for the pioneering he did in our hobby as it relates to the rise of micros and cool project watches. Frankly, I think he is the Anti-Yao!
www.usmcscoutsniper.org - Life Member
“Qualified to deport with denizens of the deep, mermaids, and other inhabitants of the realm of Neptune.”

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:37 pm

namor wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:52 am
I think most of the negativity surrounding him is unmerited, and he doesn't get nearly enough credit for the pioneering he did in our hobby as it relates to the rise of micros and cool project watches. Frankly, I think he is the Anti-Yao!
I do not agree it is unmerited. The crystal feel out of my Gen 1 Everest that was about 13 days old and he told me I abused the watch. He wouldn't even look at the watch. Multiple people posted about this on WUS happening. They were all told by Eddie to buzz off. Brand new watch and I was stuck holding the bag. One of the owners of that had this happen in my local watch group. We didn't even know each other back when this happened.

Not to long ago he posted a customers private info (doxing him) on TZ because the watch owner had contacted Eddie regarding a caseback gasketing hanging out of the case. There are even more threads out there regarding his lack of interest helping out buyers. There is no excuse for this.

I do agree he helped shape/develop microbrands and bring them to the public.

aikiman44
Tiki Extraordinaire
Name: J

Post by aikiman44 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:32 am

I’ll confirm these allegations. I posted over there about how inappropriate it was to post a member’s info.
"We'd better synchronize our watches."

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:50 pm

aikiman44 wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:32 am
I’ll confirm these allegations. I posted over there about how inappropriate it was to post a member’s info.
thanks for being a stand up dude Jay :salute:

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:15 pm

Eddie comes across as a total douche, IMO. I have owned a couple of his watches and they were excellent - the Smiths field watch and his version of the 6105.

aikiman44
Tiki Extraordinaire
Name: J

Post by aikiman44 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:02 pm

The Dreadnoughts were also very well done.
"We'd better synchronize our watches."

gr8sw
Name: Pedro

Post by gr8sw » Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:36 pm

you do have to give the guy credit for producing so many well-received models over the years for a 'one-man show'... after-sales CS is definitely not his strong suit, but his watches are usually priced lower than comparable gear on the market... his recent Caribbean1000 is a real bargain for what it is... I do believe his intention is to make watches that he and his 'friends' will like, at decent prices... but seems easier to buy his stuff 2nd hand?

it absolutely sucks to give warranty customers a hard time, but sometimes we all walk the fine line... lots of scrutiny from social media... he's only human, maybe? :shrug:
‘I don’t worry about a thing, 'cause I know nothing’s gonna be alright’ Mose Allison

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:38 pm

gr8sw wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:36 pm
you do have to give the guy credit for producing so many well-received models over the years for a 'one-man show'... after-sales CS is definitely not his strong suit, but his watches are usually priced lower than comparable gear on the market... his recent Caribbean1000 is a real bargain for what it is... I do believe his intention is to make watches that he and his 'friends' will like, at decent prices... but seems easier to buy his stuff 2nd hand?

it absolutely sucks to give warranty customers a hard time, but sometimes we all walk the fine line... lots of scrutiny from social media... he's only human, maybe? :shrug:
I agree with him producing some good models. Heck I like the Speedbird I got from him, even though the box smelled like a carton of burnt cigarette's. :puke:

He went into business to provide a product/service. When you only want do one of these and not the other then you are a tough person to give money. The guy had blatantly doxed people and called them assholes for asking about warrant issues. How is that okay? And this isn't something new. My first experience happened not to long after WUS came online, and these issues are still currently happening.

I still like a lot of his watches, if not most of them. But I can't give someone my money who picks and chooses whether or not he wants to do warranty claims? :nutkick:

pbj204
Name: Paul

Post by pbj204 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:07 pm

Got mine today. It does wear very small, but it's not bad on my 6.5 inch wrist. It'll make a fun beater, especially with an orange rubber strap.

justsellbrgs
Name: John

Post by justsellbrgs » Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:54 am

very little to do with this model -- but -- if I had to lay $20 on how it works >> Eddie and Roland Kemmner develop the designs. I think Kemmner handles alot of the "assembly" type of work / Eddie handles the sales end... But I also think Kemmner utilizes sources he developed in Asia for all components. ( I had a warranty issue that Eddie handled without issue, but the package was returned to me by Roland)

I have bought from Eddie, and Kemmner (the Kemmner model I had was sloppy)..... sure Roland has experience at Fricker, but these are sourced in Asia (might be based on Fricker prints Roland developed). The thought of "these are Fricker cases" is a bit of a loose reference - sure it's a Fricker design, but doubt they are made in Germany.

Looking at the microbrand evolution, it's like Eddie was 10 years ahead of everyone else...but now he is only a few steps ahead of some, and maybe behind others.
"Go forth, my progeny, grab the world by the balls, squeeze hard and shake vigorously." J. Koch (aka "Swedefreak")

Bradystraps
Name: Todd

Post by Bradystraps » Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:12 am

aikiman44 wrote:
Amen.

I like some of his watches but the guy is a major prick and has poor customer service skills.

Steve O.
Name: Uh, Steve

Post by Steve O. » Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:46 pm

I've never bought directly from Eddie, so I can't speak to his sales or customer service methods. Although, I've read negative things about him more than once. I do have two Timefactors watches howevere, both bought on the secondary market. A Dreadnought Voyager and a Smiths Caribbean. I haven't had any problems with either. The Smiths wears a little small to me, but the Dreadnought is perfect.

"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things." - George Carlin

sierra11b
Name: Eric

Post by sierra11b » Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:36 pm

hoppyjr wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:15 pm
Eddie comes across as a total douche, IMO. I have owned a couple of his watches and they were excellent - the Smiths field watch and his version of the 6105.
Yes. The PRS14 was the best bang for the dollar SM300 period. Should have never sold… smelled like cigarette smoke when it arrived, though.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:18 pm

sierra11b wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:36 pm
smelled like cigarette smoke when it arrived, though.
so did my gen 1 everest. :puke: selling it was a mofo since i had to disclose it smelled like a bar. :crybaby:

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:23 pm

justsellbrgs wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:54 am
The thought of "these are Fricker cases" is a bit of a loose reference - sure it's a Fricker design, but doubt they are made in Germany.

Looking at the microbrand evolution, it's like Eddie was 10 years ahead of everyone else...but now he is only a few steps ahead of some, and maybe behind others.
fricker has been closed for a quite a while, but for the cost they are selling at they couldn't be using fricker anyway. i agree with you, i believe Roland is the middleman. Which is good, I think he does a good job at it.

Eddie was at the top of the game. i completely agree with that. and he does great homages. things are changing rapidly though.

Bradystraps

Post by Bradystraps » Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:37 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:18 pm
sierra11b wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:36 pm
smelled like cigarette smoke when it arrived, though.
so did my gen 1 everest. :puke: selling it was a mofo since i had to disclose it smelled like a bar. :crybaby:
That’s disgusting. And I’m sure a selling deterrent.

justsellbrgs
Name: John

Post by justsellbrgs » Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:20 am

Bradystraps wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:12 am
aikiman44 wrote:
Amen.

I like some of his watches but the guy is a major prick and has poor customer service skills.
Having Todd pop up on TZ-UK was always a fun time..... Eddie and his cronies would get a lathered up and use Todd's name in vain, and call him every name in the book. Ultimately the Ban would come.....good times :lol:
"Go forth, my progeny, grab the world by the balls, squeeze hard and shake vigorously." J. Koch (aka "Swedefreak")

Bradystraps

Post by Bradystraps » Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:08 am

justsellbrgs wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:20 am
Bradystraps wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:12 am
aikiman44 wrote:
Amen.

Having Todd pop up on TZ-UK was always a fun time..... Eddie and his cronies would get a lathered up and use Todd's name in vain, and call him every name in the book. Ultimately the Ban would come.....good times :lol:
🤣

Ahhh, the good old days.
Sharing my thoughts on not caring for the original Dreadnought’s dial certainly didn’t go over well with Platts or his army.

Speaking of which, sounds like this poor chap crossed them as well!

https://www.reddit.com/r/Watches/commen ... fiteering/