Have you ever found a watch at a garage or yard sale?

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
AtomicTom
Nuclear Personality!!!!
Name: Tom

Have you ever found a watch at a garage or yard sale?

Post by AtomicTom » Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:17 am

Was thinking about this lately, and wondering if anyone ever had luck in
finding a watch at a garage sale, or yard sale before. :)

Maybe you were just out having fun one weekend searching around for
something else. Maybe antiques, or something like that. Then all the
sudden you discovered a watch, or even something to do with a watch. :thumbsup:

So have you ever found a watch at a garage sale? Or yard sale out there?

demer03
Current Forecast: Vintage Doxa
Name: Mike

Re: Have you ever found a watch at a garage or yard sale?

Post by demer03 » Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:37 am

I bought a box of watches for 20 bucks at estate sale. Found a Hamilton tank watch in there covered in latex paint. Took an afternoon to clean it and sold it on eBay for $250. It happens.
Old Michigan steams like a young man's dreams
The islands and bays are for sportsmen

Steve O.
Name: Uh, Steve

Post by Steve O. » Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:42 am

Found one of these at a vendor yard sale twenty plus years ago in Juliette, Georgia, if that counts. Juliette is where they filmed Fried Green Tomatoes, and where the Whistle Stop Cafe in the movie is. Paid $25. Everything worked, and it kept good time. Of course, the watch is long gone...

"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things." - George Carlin

HapaHapa
Name: Eric

Post by HapaHapa » Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:39 pm

Steve O. wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:42 am
Found one of these at a vendor yard sale twenty plus years ago in Juliette, Georgia, if that counts. Juliette is where they filmed Fried Green Tomatoes, and where the Whistle Stop Cafe in the movie is. Paid $25. Everything worked, and it kept good time. Of course, the watch is long gone...

There's a bar in Indianapolis called the Whistle Stop (well, at least there was in the mid 90's). Unofficially called the Pisshole Stop.

DaveT
Name: Dave

Post by DaveT » Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:51 pm

Not a yard or garage sale find but I did find this Seiko in a coffee can while helping my father in law clean out his garage a few years ago. It was his father in laws who bought it right before he passed away and it ended up in the coffee can when my mother and father in law moved into their current house over 40 years ago.

A couple of good shakes and it fired right up! It needed a good cleaning but just surface gunk, I don't wear it often but when I do it still runs well and keeps decent time. Got to love old Seikos :grin:
Dave

"Long you live and high you fly and smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry and all you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be"

demer03
Current Forecast: Vintage Doxa
Name: Mike

Post by demer03 » Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:39 pm

Steve O. wrote:

You win
Old Michigan steams like a young man's dreams
The islands and bays are for sportsmen

Steve O.
Name: Uh, Steve

Post by Steve O. » Sat Sep 04, 2021 3:08 pm

demer03 wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:39 pm
Steve O. wrote:

You win
Only if I still had it. I think Dave wins. :grin:
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things." - George Carlin

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:37 am

Tough to find things like this anymore….with eBay and the net, anyone can easily find the value of a thing…

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:10 am

dnslater wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:37 am
Tough to find things like this anymore….with eBay and the net, anyone can easily find the value of a thing…
That’s what I figure. I bet you can still find cool stuff that doesn’t have a lot of monetary value, but the days of finding a red sub or vintage speedmaster or Patek are probably gone.

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:20 am

JBZ wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:10 am
dnslater wrote:
That’s what I figure. I bet you can still find cool stuff that doesn’t have a lot of monetary value, but the days of finding a red sub or vintage speedmaster or Patek are probably gone.
I think they probably ended many years ago -- with the advent of eBay.

ncstate1201
Name: Geoff B

Post by ncstate1201 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:07 am

Yeah I don't have any of these stories...wish I did...

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

AtomicTom
Nuclear Personality!!!!

Post by AtomicTom » Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:08 am

Yowza, you guys have some extraordinary stories with this ! Unbelievable !!! :excited: :headbang:

I was thinking that maybe someone found a nice pocket watch maybe, or
got a great deal on a neat watch, or two. But you guys hit some real home
runs with those treasures Mike, Steve, and Dave !!! :salute: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: They are
just beautiful, not to mention, must have been real surprises when you
found them. :o

I feel like I just may need to go to some garage sales this fall. :grin:

Can’t thank all of you enough for the looks, stories, and just giving your
thoughts on this !!!

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer

Post by JBZ » Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:46 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:20 am
JBZ wrote:
dnslater wrote:
Probably. I just figure it took awhile for older folks who were less familiar with technology to catch on. And those were the folks more likely to sell an old Rolex for less than what it was worth. But everyone knows how to google now.

Henryj
Bubblehead
Name: Old guy

Post by Henryj » Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:26 pm

JBZ wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:46 am
JP Chestnut wrote:
JBZ wrote:
dnslater wrote:

Probably. I just figure it took awhile for older folks who were less familiar with technology to catch on. And those were the folks more likely to sell an old Rolex for less than what it was worth. But everyone knows how to google now.
“It needs a new battery, see it doesn’t work unless you shake it. How about fifty bucks?”
“Punishable by fine” = Legal for a price.”

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer

Post by JBZ » Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:01 pm

Henryj wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:26 pm
JBZ wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:46 am
JP Chestnut wrote:
JBZ wrote:
dnslater wrote:

“It needs a new battery, see it doesn’t work unless you shake it. How about fifty bucks?”
Yeah, or even, “it’s a Rolex. I paid $600 for it 25 years ago. How about $300?”

sierra11b
Name: Eric

Post by sierra11b » Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:05 pm

Yes, multiple, but primarily for the wife. She has about four cool Ernest borel cocktail watches from various estate sales where costume jewelry were involved. Some cool women’s Hamilton’s, early omega women’s gown watch with the faceted acrylic crystal.

About ten years ago I barely missed a JLC Atmos clock in an upper scale estate sale. Sitting inside the garage on the shelf and was literally a couple seconds away from grabbing before someone else swooped-in. He knew what it was, too, so I didn’t even offer to buy it from him.

Another miss about 8yrs ago… when I was still a chef my wife called me and left a voicemail from an estate sale in the same neighborhood while I was working. She had described an oysterquartz to the letter. I got the message 30minutes too late and told her to buy buy buy. The son/estate sale host of the late parent said it was no longer for sale… the original asking price at the time was just a couple dollars. :banghead: From that point forward I just told her to buy if she couldn’t get ahold of me.

I showed her pics of oysterquartz later and she cried. :lol: :doh:

We used to go to estate sales frequently years ago. We picked up the old habit a couple months ago and hit this house which had some remarkable copper wares. While not watches, we walked away with about $500 worth of ornate copper wares and cool fixtures for $50 because the lady was quick to part with it all.

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:32 am

Only thing time related I found at a yard sale was a Hanhart stop watch not worth much. Had better luck at flea markets. Steve you should of held on to that chronograph.

jax
Name: Jax

Post by jax » Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:55 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
JBZ wrote:
dnslater wrote:
And grey market dealers

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:58 am

jax wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:55 am
JP Chestnut wrote:
JBZ wrote:
dnslater wrote:
And grey market dealers
What the hell is up with that video? It reminds me of that fat actor all dressed up like a lumberjack looking at the camera dramatically

jax
Name: Jax

Post by jax » Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:16 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:58 am

What the hell is up with that video? It reminds me of that fat actor all dressed up like a lumberjack looking at the camera dramatically
Lol true!

Last edited by jax on Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

AtomicTom
Nuclear Personality!!!!

Post by AtomicTom » Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:18 am

sierra11b wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:05 pm
Yes, multiple, but primarily for the wife. She has about four cool Ernest borel cocktail watches from various estate sales where costume jewelry were involved. Some cool women’s Hamilton’s, early omega women’s gown watch with the faceted acrylic crystal.

About ten years ago I barely missed a JLC Atmos clock in an upper scale estate sale. Sitting inside the garage on the shelf and was literally a couple seconds away from grabbing before someone else swooped-in. He knew what it was, too, so I didn’t even offer to buy it from him.

Another miss about 8yrs ago… when I was still a chef my wife called me and left a voicemail from an estate sale in the same neighborhood while I was working. She had described an oysterquartz to the letter. I got the message 30minutes too late and told her to buy buy buy. The son/estate sale host of the late parent said it was no longer for sale… the original asking price at the time was just a couple dollars. :banghead: From that point forward I just told her to buy if she couldn’t get ahold of me.

I showed her pics of oysterquartz later and she cried. :lol: :doh:

We used to go to estate sales frequently years ago. We picked up the old habit a couple months ago and hit this house which had some remarkable copper wares. While not watches, we walked away with about $500 worth of ornate copper wares and cool fixtures for $50 because the lady was quick to part with it all.
River Rat wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:32 am
Only thing time related I found at a yard sale was a Hanhart stop watch not worth much. Had better luck at flea markets. Steve you should of held on to that chronograph.
Wow, well that is just THE best guys, the both of you at least had some
luck finding something. :) :) :clap: That stop watch sounds wonderful sir,
plus you never even see Hanahart watches at all out there. :o Very nice !
And Eric, it sounds like you are an expert on finding neat things out there
as well. Holy cow ! :salute: Both that clock, as well as watch would have been
amazing to see, and all of the other things you have picked up sound out
of this world cool as well ! :clap:

All these stories make me want to venture out to a garage sale, or two
even more now in the next couple months. ;)

Thanks so so much for chiming in everyone !!!
Last edited by AtomicTom on Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:20 am, edited 2 times in total.