Timepiece Gentleman

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
Selym
Name: Myles

Re: Timepiece Gentleman

Post by Selym » Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:28 pm

If it’s a stunt, they’ve obviously hired Nathan Fielder as a marketing consultant. 😆

r.palace

Post by r.palace » Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:56 am

Selym wrote:If it’s a stunt, they’ve obviously hired Nathan Fielder as a marketing consultant. Image
Image Id love to see that.
ImageImage
Many will register, few will last :htfu:

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:03 am

Here's a local news report with an interview with their lawyer. Not much additional info, but the only other things I've been able to find beyond the original article is a few Archie Luxury videos where he rants and raves about them (and I just can't watch him).

https://cw33.com/morning-after/timepiec ... goes-dark/

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:29 am

JBZ wrote:Here's a local news report with an interview with their lawyer. Not much additional info, but the only other things I've been able to find beyond the original article is a few Archie Luxury videos where he rants and raves about them (and I just can't watch him).

No doubt they paid “Archie” for his endorsement. The guy is a whore for $$

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Post by Chocodove » Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:32 am

hoppyjr wrote:
JBZ wrote:Here's a local news report with an interview with their lawyer. Not much additional info, but the only other things I've been able to find beyond the original article is a few Archie Luxury videos where he rants and raves about them (and I just can't watch him).

I actually think he got pissed they wouldn’t buy a promo or whatever, so he started ranting about them.
- Todd

JDC222
Demander of Intro Threads
Name: Dave

Post by JDC222 » Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:40 am

Chocodove wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:19 am
It's pretty stupid to essentially "steal" all those consignment watches considering that many of the owners surely know the serial numbers, etc. It's a lot of stuff to illicitly unload in one way or another, if that is what they actually plan on doing. I don't put anything past anyone these days, especially YouTube "celebrities".
There are plenty of places on this planet that they can sell the stolen watches, without questions or concerns about the origin. :cussing:
Whisky has killed more men than bullets, but most men would rather be full of whisky than bullets.
Winston Churchill.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer

Post by JBZ » Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:05 am

Chocodove wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:32 am
hoppyjr wrote:

I actually think he got pissed they wouldn’t buy a promo or whatever, so he started ranting about them.
Yeah, something about them offering to buy some ad space on his channel but never coming through. It’s so hard to tell with Archie. Beyond the yelling, he’s extremely repetitive and self-centered. He never gets to the point and his story details are always changing slightly. It makes it hard to figure out exactly what his issue with them was (plus, I can only make it through about 5 minutes of his videos, and that’s on a good day).

Henryj
Bubblehead
Name: Old guy

Post by Henryj » Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:16 am

I listened to the interview with the lawyer. Here’s what I took away from it.

First, his statement “Like so many of my clients, there’s a rush to judgment…” To me, that sounds like he deals with bottom feeders, not business law.

Second, he didn’t make any substantive statements, just generalities about his client’s intent. He said nothing that could actually be checked.

Finally, he makes the excuse that his client is away from the business because he’s “giving back to the community”. Michael Kobold w/o as many frequent liar miles.

Just my humble opinion, but the lawyer didn’t give me a warm fuzzy at all. His comment about his clients being either the dumbest criminals or the smartest businessmen? Based on general observation of humanity, the odds are not in favor of “smartest businessmen”.

To be fair, they might be playing a game just to hype things up. But, if I was a betting man, I’d guess they started out with the best of intentions. Once the money started coming in, it could have been a simple case of not knowing what to do next. “Call Rolex and Omega, tell them we want Subs and Seamasters below wholesale because we have $2 million dollars to play with.” “I did. They laughed at me.”
If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer

Post by JBZ » Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:58 am

Henryj wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:16 am

First, his statement “Like so many of my clients, there’s a rush to judgment…” To me, that sounds like he deals with bottom feeders, not business law.

Second, he didn’t make any substantive statements, just generalities about his client’s intent. He said nothing that could actually be checked.

Finally, he makes the excuse that his client is away from the business because he’s “giving back to the community”. Michael Kobold w/o as many frequent liar miles.

Just my humble opinion, but the lawyer didn’t give me a warm fuzzy at all. His comment about his clients being either the dumbest criminals or the smartest businessmen? Based on general observation of humanity, the odds are not in favor of “smartest businessmen”.

To be fair, they might be playing a game just to hype things up. But, if I was a betting man, I’d guess they started out with the best of intentions. Once the money started coming in, it could have been a simple case of not knowing what to do next. “Call Rolex and Omega, tell them we want Subs and Seamasters below wholesale because we have $2 million dollars to play with.” “I did. They laughed at me.”
I agree with you about the lawyer, Henry. Of course I have no idea about his other clients, and lawyers often have to try to make lemonade from lemons, but it sounds like these particular clients haven't given him a lot to work with. My guess is he honestly has no idea where they are or why they've done what they've done. If he did, like the reporter said post-interview, he would have provided some sort of explanation, even if he couldn't get into specifics (e.g. they had a landlord dispute, one of their sellers reneged on a deal and they're dealing with that, etc.). But all he said that was even close to verifiable was that "some" clients are having no trouble getting in touch with the principals. But even that's pretty hard to confirm.

On your last point, you may be right, but if the stories to this point are to be believed they had plenty of watches on consignment that they could have sold. Even though the bulk of that money would have gone back to the sellers, I'm sure they made a nice fee from each sale. It's looking more and more like they just took off. I have a hard time seeing how this is some sort of master stroke of marketing to gin up interest in the business. All it's doing is upsetting investors and consignors and making everyone else wary of ever doing business with them.

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:28 pm

JBZ wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:58 am
Henryj wrote:

I have a hard time seeing how this is some sort of master stroke of marketing to gin up interest in the business. All it's doing is upsetting investors and consignors and making everyone else wary of ever doing business with them.
If it's all an attempt at marketing, then it's up there with Kobold's "I'm a secret agent fighting super villians in Nepal and that's why I couldn't get those fire trucks over there. Just wait for my 18 part documentary!"

gwells
Name: Greg

Post by gwells » Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:22 pm

honestly, looking at the pictures of those guys, their pics, i'm not thinking, "these are the guys i want to invest with."

and that car... yeesh. just fucking tacky.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer

Post by JBZ » Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:48 pm

JP Chestnut wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:28 pm
JBZ wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:58 am
Henryj wrote:

I have a hard time seeing how this is some sort of master stroke of marketing to gin up interest in the business. All it's doing is upsetting investors and consignors and making everyone else wary of ever doing business with them.
If it's all an attempt at marketing, then it's up there with Kobold's "I'm a secret agent fighting super villians in Nepal and that's why I couldn't get those fire trucks over there. Just wait for my 18 part documentary!"
Except Kobold's stuff is totally true - duh.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer

Post by JBZ » Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:51 pm

I looked up the attorney. He's a criminal defense lawyer, not a business lawyer. So the TPG guys are obviously worried about...something.

gwells

Post by gwells » Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:52 pm

well, one of them is an ex-con, so maybe that was just his original criminal defense lawyer.

demer03
Current Forecast: Vintage Doxa
Name: Mike

Post by demer03 » Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:17 pm

Buy smart….buy WU-Mart
Old Michigan steams like a young man's dreams
The islands and bays are for sportsmen

BlueSky
Name: David

Post by BlueSky » Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:27 pm

gwells wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:22 pm
honestly, looking at the pictures of those guys, their pics, i'm not thinking, "these are the guys i want to invest with."

and that car... yeesh. just fucking tacky.

Was it George Carlin that said within 10 seconds it should be clear if someone is full of S*** or not?

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Timepiece Gentleman

Post by hoppyjr » Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:13 pm

Aaaaaaand….. a really poorly executed publicity stunt?

“Breaking News: The Timepiece Gentleman is Back. They Didn't Vanish, They Were Just Giving Back to the Community.” via @watchville https://api.watchville.co/v2/posts/62072/click

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Post by Chocodove » Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:37 am

Rather anticlimactic if you ask me.
- Todd

mfxr
Name: MattF

Post by mfxr » Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:54 am

Well there you go. A PR stunt, not a scam.
I guess they got plenty of coverage which was probably the goal. Add a bit of a charity spin and they should come out looking like good guys.
I guess I am too cynical to view this as genuine altruism, but I suppose the charities will benefit so that is not a bad thing.

I get the feeling that the PR/YouTube/Image part of this business is the driver, with the watches just being the content medium almost.

gwells

Post by gwells » Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:14 am

i don't need to watch the video to say they don't come off as good guys. it's shitty business to blow off your customer base like that. not that i knew who they were, but i'd never do business with them now that i do.

Abmw

Post by Abmw » Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:52 am

Who in the world would want to do business with these guys after this dumb ass stunt? If I had watches on consignment with them I would request to get them back asap.
"My balls was hot" - Derrick Lewis

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer

Post by JBZ » Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:03 am

If it takes you an hour (of edited video no less) to explain why everything was all a big misunderstanding, then I don't believe your explanation.

Doesn't really matter to me - I had never heard of these guys until this story broke. But I know I'll never do business with them.

mfxr
Name: MattF

Post by mfxr » Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:36 am

They have pulled the video now - weird.
I am sure Archie Luxury can explain it to everyone :lol:

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:34 pm

If they had any of my shitty watches and pulled this stunt they would be getting kicked in the nutz

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:43 pm

The Crimepiece Gentleman.