Name: Jacob

Re: Amazon Alexa PSA

Post by JP Chestnut » Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:07 am

I’m so sick of all this tech shit.

Panerai7
Name: Art

Post by Panerai7 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:26 am

I think everyone have already kind of assumed that all of those “always on” listening devices are spyware. I have Siri disabled but I don’t know for sure if that bitch is really disabled :lol:

BlueSky
Name: David

Post by BlueSky » Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:42 am

I read about this earlier and just disabled it...thanks for the reminder.

AtomicTom
Nuclear Personality!!!!
Name: Tom

Post by AtomicTom » Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:57 am

:shock: Yes, thanks for the heads up Kelly ! :salute:

It's crazy how fast everything seems to be happening like this. Almost is like
all of this was planned a long time ago, or something right?! ..And now, like
some crazy dream, or sci-fi movie, it's slowly but surely coming true. :shock:

I'm just hoping it truly can be turned off like David said.

In any case, thank you very much for the report !!!

59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!

Post by 59yukon01 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:01 pm

All the more reason to loath and not use Amazon, or anything Amazon related, as, mentioned in the article. I don't anyway.

It's bad enough that I was searching for gun safes today on my work laptop at home, and gun safe ads popped up on my wife's Facebook feed.

I don't have a FB account so I know they invade my privacy using our IP address. F*CK Big Tech!

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:31 pm

59yukon01 wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:01 pm
All the more reason to loath and not use Amazon, or anything Amazon related, as, mentioned in the article. I don't anyway.

It's bad enough that I was searching for gun safes today on my work laptop at home, and gun safe ads popped up on my wife's Facebook feed.

I don't have a FB account so I know they invade my privacy using our IP address. F*CK Big Tech!
And if anyone thinks that's the extent of the spying, I'm sure this guy
would like a word with you.

59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!

Post by 59yukon01 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:57 pm

JP Chestnut wrote:
59yukon01 wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:01 pm

And if anyone thinks that's the extent of the spying, I'm sure this guy
would like a word with you.
Yep...Image

BlueSky

Post by BlueSky » Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:09 pm

You guys think (some) tech will be broken up? Lots to think about and whether you agree or not, it'll probably happen sooner than later. Regardless, some would say they have pissed in their proverbial soup.

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:58 pm

BlueSky wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:09 pm
You guys think (some) tech will be broken up? Lots to think about and whether you agree or not, it'll probably happen sooner than later. Regardless, some would say they have pissed in their proverbial soup.
No. I don’t think so. They lobby both sides too effectively. Trump could have pushed it through as a last minute FU but either he got talked out of it, or the GOP in Congress wouldn’t have gone along with it. That was the last best chance.

BlueSky

Post by BlueSky » Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:59 pm

JP Chestnut wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:58 pm
BlueSky wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:09 pm
No. I don’t think so. They lobby both sides too effectively. Trump could have pushed it through as a last minute FU but either he got talked out of it, or the GOP in Congress wouldn’t have gone along with it. That was the last best chance.
You may very well be right and my sooner was not to imply very soon. I'm not as informed as I could be, but a lot of people are just pissed off with their overreach. Overreach that has consequences. Some legislators have a keen interest/desire to do something and lobbies are certainly formidable, but who knows. Talks and so forth may not go anywhere now and may later and both sides will have significant legs to stand on. Should be an interesting issue to keep our eyes on going forward.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:10 pm

i don't let any of those bitches in my house

rockmastermike
Feedback Virtuoso
Name: WDE

Post by rockmastermike » Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:15 pm

we just went in our Ring apps on our phones and disabled sidewalk.....
we don't need to worry about spying, we give info about ourselves freely

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:05 pm

Can anyone here articulate for me why you feel your privacy is so important?

I’m not saying it isn’t. I just don’t think many people can articulate why they believe it is, besides who they’ve been told to trust and not trust. And so the end result is sweeping, blanket statements and weird conclusions.

That article didn’t even actually state any specific reason to be concerned about privacy. The piece reads more sensationalist, like most “articles” these days.

Security vulnerabilities are more obviously concerning, sure. But security and privacy are different things and important for different reasons.
:htfu:

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Amazon Alexa PSA

Post by BBK357 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:17 pm

matt.wu wrote:Can anyone here articulate for me why you feel your privacy is so important?

I’m not saying it isn’t. I just don’t think many people can articulate why they believe it is, besides who they’ve been told to trust and not trust. And so the end result is sweeping, blanket statements and weird conclusions.

That article didn’t even actually state any specific reason to be concerned about privacy. The piece reads more sensationalist, like most “articles” these days.

Security vulnerabilities are more obviously concerning, sure. But security and privacy are different things and important for different reasons.
Lol
So many reasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:28 pm

matt.wu wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:05 pm

You either get it or you don't. Privacy is a constitutional right so its importance needn't be articulated.

https://www.uscourts.gov/about-federal- ... the%20law.
Searches and seizures inside a home without a warrant are presumptively unreasonable.
Payton v. New York, 445 U.S. 573 (1980).

However, there are some exceptions. A warrantless search may be lawful:

If an officer is given consent to search; Davis v. United States, 328 U.S. 582 (1946)
If the search is incident to a lawful arrest; United States v. Robinson, 414 U.S. 218 (1973)
If there is probable cause to search and exigent circumstances; Payton v. New York, 445 U.S. 573 (1980)
If the items are in plain view; Maryland v. Macon, 472 U.S. 463 (1985).

HapaHapa
Name: Eric

Post by HapaHapa » Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:29 pm

matt.wu wrote:

Well, as long as they can’t see your pecker I guess it’s ok.
The Hapa

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:46 pm

I told you, I don't necessarily disagree. I just don't think anyone actually knows and can articulate what they're getting their panties in a twist about. And I don't think people truly understand privacy vs. security vs. what they're already willingly giving up. It always gets boiled down to "big tech = bad", and I think that's insufficient.

Until you understand what you actually care about, your anger will be weaponized for someone else's good.
:htfu:

bedlam
Name: Carl

Post by bedlam » Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:19 pm

matt.wu wrote:
Privacy is related to control over my relationships to the community and therefore my security.

I choose what you know about me so that I can maintain the relationship with you that I want to have. You accessing my information should only occur for reasons that I agree are worthwhile to improve my life or my relationship with you.

Transactions of my information for a benefit should be made in the open and in good faith by both parties. The provision of my information to a third party I never transacted with should follow that same principles - be open, in good faith, and of benefit to me.

If you are not following these principles then you are not trustworthy IMO and I don't want you to have my information.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:22 am

matt.wu wrote:

Like a lot of people have said, I think the issue is that my business is my business and, even if my business is pretty innocuous, it's none of anyone else's business unless I choose for it to be.

But the difference here is that we're not talking about privacy from government (and hopefully without getting too political, a lot of people decrying "big tech" were very gung ho about the Patriot Act in the wake of 9/11). Where government is involved, we're always talking about a trade-off between privacy and security. I imagine just about everyone here would agree that it may be worth giving up a little privacy in order to have better security. The question is whether and how much we can trust the government not to abuse that power once they have it (I'm of the general opinion that we can't, but that doesn't mean the solution is to completely hamstring government's ability to investigate when it's truly warranted).

But in this case we're talking about privacy from private companies. Private companies that we've invited onto our computers and phones and into our homes. Private companies to which we as a society have ceded too much power because they also provide us with significant, until recently only dreamed about benefits.

And to me the issue there is so insidious because to all of the companies that we can access without paying, we're the product. Companies like facebook have algorithms that track our likes and dislikes, and direct us to information and refine our tastes without us even realizing it on a day-to-day basis. And while that may have innocuous results (like directing us to certain retail items we've shown an interest in), it's much more problematic when it directs us to dubious information sources that only reaffirm what we already believe.

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:02 am

People have obviously expounded sufficiently on this question, but to Jeff’s point, you can’t disentangle corporate intrusion from government intrusion. These huge tech companies are so enmeshed in government operations (look at amazons defense contracts with cloud computing) that the private/gov distinction hardly matters. Not to mention who sits on the boards of these companies.

The other issue is that information is valuable. When companies take your privacy away without explicit consent, it’s a form of theft. Compounding that, these shit heads can’t even safeguard your data from malicious actors.

Asking “please explain why is privacy important” is almost definition sea lioning.

59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!

Post by 59yukon01 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:26 am

One just has to Google "China's credit score system" and ask yourself is this the direction we're heading with all this data collection, invasion of privacy, and yes Big Tech censorship.

Hopefully not, but after what's happened in the last year I'm not too sure anymore.

Last edited by 59yukon01 on Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Post by BBK357 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:49 am

Honestly the first thing I thought of when Wu asked why do we care about privacy was China’s social score program and the drones that fly around the cities catching people doing “unacceptable” things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:24 pm

matt.wu wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:46 pm
I told you, I don't necessarily disagree. I just don't think anyone actually knows and can articulate what they're getting their panties in a twist about. And I don't think people truly understand privacy vs. security vs. what they're already willingly giving up. It always gets boiled down to "big tech = bad", and I think that's insufficient.

Until you understand what you actually care about, your anger will be weaponized for someone else's good.
Definitely worth asking critical thought questions. Kind of like why do people cover their license plates when they sell their cars on Craigslist, despite driving around all day with their license plates exposed. Maybe good reasons. Maybe not.

BlueSky

Post by BlueSky » Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:28 pm

Any thoughts on "surveillance capitalism" ?