Post by hoppyjr » Thu May 27, 2021 11:34 am

dnslater wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 6:12 am
flyskate wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 5:34 am
BacoNoir wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 4:23 pm
tattoo chef wrote:I’m the odd man out here. I’m loving black watches these days and ceramic cases do look great. I actually don’t mind the bezel, if I’m being honest, I like the look of bezels because it makes a watch taller and adds more dimension, but I don’t use it to time anything.
I like the cleaner dial as well. The price I don’t care for at all though. But that is ceramic case prices it seems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I like it too, but do wish it was thinner. The blacked out bezel is nice looking IMHO, but I don’t dive anymore.
I doubt this will ever be used as a diver. Actually, it nice to see a watch designed more for it's intended use, ie, Fashion diver, suitable for casual wear and some pool duty on vacation.
It's a fashion watch. There a millions of those. Most just don't cost $4500.
Most Omega, Rolex, AP, Patek, etc... watches aren't used as tool watches, so plenty cost more than $4,500. I'm not a fan of the watch, but see no issues with the price for an in-house ceramic watch with a movement that is arguably as good or better than you get in a Rolex sub that is twice the price (70 hour PR, 15,000 gauss magnetic resistance, METAS rating, silicon balance spring, free sprung balance wheel, etc....

If they scale this down to the BB58 line in the future it could be very special.
They can certainly make the 41mm versions thinner, and this would help. A thinner version would also mean thinner lugs, and something like the Ranger lugs with drilled holes would be perfect. Then I’d be onboard.

dnslater
Name: Nick

Re: Another Tudor Announcement 5/25

Post by dnslater » Fri May 28, 2021 4:52 am

hoppyjr wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 11:34 am

They can certainly make the 41mm versions thinner, and this would help. A thinner version would also mean thinner lugs, and something like the Ranger lugs with drilled holes would be perfect. Then I’d be onboard.
Yeah, I find it odd that after all of the accolades that the 58 line gets due to it's thinness and we arability, they would go back to more 14mm Black Bays, especially given than this case requires all new tooling, etc... due to material. Maybe ceramic is just trickier to make thin.

I don't understand why they are continuing to develop both movement sizes. Just stick with improving the smaller 58 movement with METAS, GMT, etc.... and abandon the larger movement.

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Fri May 28, 2021 5:36 am

Because fashion watch guys like big thick watches since they’re more in your face.

jswing
Founder, TDWC MM300 Fan Club
Name: Jeff

Post by jswing » Fri May 28, 2021 5:44 am

It's not terrible looking. Not of interest to me, and wouldn't be even if they had done it in the 58 case. I honestly can't see them offering anything I would prefer over my 58. One thing I will never understand is any manufacturer offering a dive watch on leather. Yeah, I get that it's a leather/rubber hybrid, but it's still leather. At least pretend your dive watch is intended to get wet.
Last edited by jswing on Fri May 28, 2021 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

flyskate
Name: Stephen

Post by flyskate » Fri May 28, 2021 11:20 am

So, who's going to be first to get one! :cheers: :lol:
Stephen

Panerai7
Name: Art

Post by Panerai7 » Fri May 28, 2021 11:53 am

jswing wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 5:44 am
It's not terrible looking. Not of interest to me, and wouldn't be even if they had done it in the 58 case. I honestly can't see them offering anything I would prefer over my 58. One thing I will never understand is any manufacturer offering a dive watch on leather. Yeah, I get that it's a leather/rubber hybrid, but it's still leather. At least pretend your dive watch is intended to get wet.
Lol! Pretend like JLC? :lol:

Jeep99dad
Grand-père
Name: Brice

Post by Jeep99dad » Fri May 28, 2021 5:57 pm

jswing wrote:It's not terrible looking. Not of interest to me, and wouldn't be even if they had done it in the 58 case. I honestly can't see them offering anything I would prefer over my 58. One thing I will never understand is any manufacturer offering a dive watch on leather. Yeah, I get that it's a leather/rubber hybrid, but it's still leather. At least pretend your dive watch is intended to get wet.
It also comes with their textile strap you can also swim with though.
Merde Alors! Et Vive Les Francais! :)

Jeep99dad
Grand-père

Post by Jeep99dad » Fri May 28, 2021 5:58 pm

Also to my surprise the midcase is thinner than on the regular BB 41mm diver

jswing

Post by jswing » Sun May 30, 2021 5:52 am

Jeep99dad wrote:
jswing wrote:It's not terrible looking. Not of interest to me, and wouldn't be even if they had done it in the 58 case. I honestly can't see them offering anything I would prefer over my 58. One thing I will never understand is any manufacturer offering a dive watch on leather. Yeah, I get that it's a leather/rubber hybrid, but it's still leather. At least pretend your dive watch is intended to get wet.
That's true. Leather on divers is just a personal pet peeve. Don't get me wrong, I love Tudor, to the point I bought another BB58 (blue) yesterday on complete impulse at my local AD. Oddly, my SA was saying she was disappointed with this new ceramic release, but she absolutely loves the new silver and gold BB58s.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

TSD
Name: Tom

Post by TSD » Sun May 30, 2021 7:14 am

jswing wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 5:52 am
Oddly, my SA was saying she was disappointed with this new ceramic release, but she absolutely loves the new silver and gold BB58s.
Did the AD have the gold BB58? Salesman at my local AD said gold will never see the display case - special order only.

Jeep99dad
Grand-père

Post by Jeep99dad » Sun May 30, 2021 7:18 am

jswing wrote:
Jeep99dad wrote:
That's true. Leather on divers is just a personal pet peeve. Don't get me wrong, I love Tudor, to the point I bought another BB58 (blue) yesterday on complete impulse at my local AD. Oddly, my SA was saying she was disappointed with this new ceramic release, but she absolutely loves the new silver and gold BB58s.

Doubt this will be used as a divewatch ImageI liked the silver one a lot more than I expected.

I was surprised how thinner the ceramic one is vs the BB41 in steel.
Not my pics

Vs the smaller silver BB

Again va steel BB 41

jswing

Post by jswing » Sun May 30, 2021 7:24 am

TSD wrote:
jswing wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 5:52 am
Oddly, my SA was saying she was disappointed with this new ceramic release, but she absolutely loves the new silver and gold BB58s.
Did the AD have the gold BB58? Salesman at my local AD said gold will never see the display case - special order only.
She showed me a pic of the gold one on her wrist, but it had since been sold. I felt like she was actually prodding me to buy one, but I was pretty clear that I wasn't a gold guy. I think both the gold and silver are really good looking watches, but not for me.

jswing

Post by jswing » Sun May 30, 2021 7:27 am

Jeep99dad wrote:
jswing wrote:
Jeep99dad wrote:

Doubt this will be used as a divewatch ImageI liked the silver one a lot more than I expected.

Not my pics

Vs the smaller silver BB

Again va steel BB 41
That's significantly thinner! My issue with my prior 41 BBs was always the thickness more than diameter. Those thick slab sides were too much for me, but that ceramic has a much nicer profile.

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Sun May 30, 2021 7:52 am

Jeep99dad wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 7:18 am
jswing wrote:
Jeep99dad wrote:

Not my pics
That case looks so much better. The lower edge of the midcase has some curvature and it looks like a chamfer as well.

Henryj
Bubblehead
Name: Old guy

Post by Henryj » Sun May 30, 2021 9:13 am

If they could replicate that case profile in steel, it’d bring new life to the BB lineup. And to be fair, the METAS certification on the movement is impressive. Flame suit on - I see no reason to buy Rolex other than the name at this point. At least not since Tudor went to in house movements.
If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Sun May 30, 2021 9:16 am

Henryj wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 9:13 am
If they could replicate that case profile in steel, it’d bring new life to the BB lineup. And to be fair, the METAS certification on the movement is impressive. Flame suit on - I see no reason to buy Rolex other than the name at this point. At least not since Tudor went to in house movements.
The BB clasp lacks even a rudimentary on the fly adjustment. That’s one reason.

Regarding METAS. I’ve never once in 20 years of collecting had a watch get magnetized. To me, it’s the sort of pointless gee whiz stuff that omega always brags about.

Joeprez
Wants to see pics of your wife
Name: Joe

Post by Joeprez » Sun May 30, 2021 11:00 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
Henryj wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 9:13 am
The BB clasp lacks even a rudimentary on the fly adjustment. That’s one reason.

Regarding METAS. I’ve never once in 20 years of collecting had a watch get magnetized. To me, it’s the sort of pointless gee whiz stuff that omega always brags about.
I agree with Henry. I’ve had watched magnetized. On top of that, only watch I’ve ever had to send for warranty work was my Explorer II Polar (issue with the date/gmt hand). I still want a 5 digit Pepsi someday, but if you want a modern watch, Omega and Tudor are the ones to buy.

But agree with Jacob on the clasp, at this point all watches north of $2,000 should have an adjustable clasp. I’ve never tried a Glidelock but the Omega one is very good.

Omega / Tudor / Rolex / Sinn / Doxa / Seiko

dukerules

Another Tudor Announcement 5/25

Post by dukerules » Sun May 30, 2021 11:05 am

No one mentions this, but the BB58 case is the nicest case in the Rolex/Tudor family. And I prefer aluminum bezel inserts to ceramic bezels. No easy adjustment functionality on the Tudor bracelets is annoying.

Jeep99dad
Grand-père

Post by Jeep99dad » Sun May 30, 2021 11:15 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
Jeep99dad wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 7:18 am
jswing wrote:
Jeep99dad wrote:

Not my pics
That case looks so much better. The lower edge of the midcase has some curvature and it looks like a chamfer as well.
They use that lower bevel on the new BB cases it seems. Like newer Chrono and GMT I think. It does help give the impression of a thinner midcase.

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Sun May 30, 2021 11:19 am

To keep this positive, one of the big knocks on the BB bracelet (58 and regular) is the lack of removable links on the short side.

I was looking into it, and apparently you can pull off the link that appears to be attached to the clasp. It's held on with a spring bar under neither the fliplock. So you take the fliplock off, pop out the spring bar, separate the claps blades from the "attached" link, unscrew that link, and then you can fit the blades to the bracelet's last permanent link. That gets you a short side length that's about what it is on a modern Rolex bracelet.

Joeprez
Wants to see pics of your wife
Name: Joe

Post by Joeprez » Sun May 30, 2021 11:39 am

Thanks Jacob, I will try that.

Omega / Tudor / Rolex / Sinn / Doxa / Seiko

TSD

Post by TSD » Sun May 30, 2021 12:14 pm

dukerules wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 11:05 am
No one mentions this, but the BB58 case is the nicest case in the Rolex/Tudor family. And I prefer aluminum bezel inserts to ceramic bezels. No easy adjustment functionality on the Tudor bracelets is annoying.
Agreed. The BB58s look amazing, right up to the point I try them on. Then the reality of the small thin case hits. I would really like the blue, but can’t get past how it wears on me. Same dilemma as a Daytona.

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Sun May 30, 2021 12:20 pm

TSD wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 12:14 pm
dukerules wrote:
Agreed. The BB58s look amazing, right up to the point I try them on. Then the reality of the small thin case hits. I would really like the blue, but can’t get past how it wears on me. Same dilemma as a Daytona.
If it wears like a Daytona, I’d love it.

TSD

Post by TSD » Sun May 30, 2021 1:41 pm

JP Chestnut wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 12:20 pm
TSD wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 12:14 pm
dukerules wrote:
If it wears like a Daytona, I’d love it.
It wears exactly like a Daytona on me. You’ll love it.

dinexus
Name: Zach

Post by dinexus » Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:03 am

I still think it's hilarious that it appeared as though Tudor had a Marine Nationale collab watch in the works, and then when *Yema* (of all people) beat 'em to the punch, they had to scramble to release something else as the teasers were already out there, and this is where we landed.