A sobering number

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
andy tims
Name: Andy Tims

A sobering number

Post by andy tims » Thu May 13, 2021 10:36 pm

I just did a little tot up & the total value of watches I currently own (26) + the value of watches I've sold (137) since 2005 = £328,000 :oops:

I'm sure it's much larger than that for some on here.
Last edited by andy tims on Thu May 13, 2021 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy

flyskate
Name: Stephen

Re: A sobering number

Post by flyskate » Thu May 13, 2021 10:50 pm

That is sobering! That's almost a quarter of the cost of my 3 ex wives!! I should have stayed with watches! Lol!
Stephen

stonehead887
Name: Jeremy

Post by stonehead887 » Fri May 14, 2021 12:25 am

andy tims wrote:I just did a little tot up & the total value of watches I currently own (26) + the value of watches I've sold (137) since 2005 = £328,000 :oops:

Would that be retail or used? I did that a few months ago, on retail if I had to buy it all again. As far as I could calculate, was £42.000

...potential retirement pot....

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Fri May 14, 2021 3:06 am

andy tims wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 10:36 pm
I just did a little tot up & the total value of watches I currently own (26) + the value of watches I've sold (137) since 2005 = £328,000 :oops:

That is Brice and Ed's Pelagos purchases alone.

andy tims
Name: Andy Tims

Post by andy tims » Fri May 14, 2021 4:51 am

stonehead887 wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 12:25 am
Would that be retail or used?
Almost all used.
Andy

mattcantwin
mattcreatestonsofwatchrelateddrama

Post by mattcantwin » Fri May 14, 2021 5:26 am

Years ago I kept a list of all the watches I’ve owned.

I felt a lot better when I tossed it.

That’s quite a total, Andy; sobering indeed.

rockmastermike
Feedback Virtuoso
Name: WDE

Post by rockmastermike » Fri May 14, 2021 5:32 am

Interesting, that’s a cool and/or troubling exercise

DEMO

Post by DEMO » Fri May 14, 2021 5:44 am

Yes, that is a sobering number when you look at the total figure.

I don't even want to know what my number is. I have kept a log of every watch I've purchased since december of 2005 when I started keeping track. The log has the manufacturer, name of the watch, serial number (if it has one), where/who I purchased it from, date of purchase and the price I paid. I don't what to know what the total is. The last entry was #292. Of course, I have sold a lot of watches over the years too.

....... and I have 5 more coming in over the next several months. :shifty:

You have to remember, this is a fun hobby. ;)

HapaHapa
Name: Eric

Post by HapaHapa » Fri May 14, 2021 6:42 am

I did this exercise and decided I had too many watches. The rough value was double my first guess, although not enough to buy even one of Zach’s couch cushion finds.

This thread doesn’t belong in the main forum.

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Fri May 14, 2021 7:11 am

andy tims wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 10:36 pm

I’m surprised it’s not higher. 150 watches is a lot and you’ve had some very very nice ones come and go.

mattcantwin
mattcreatestonsofwatchrelateddrama

Post by mattcantwin » Fri May 14, 2021 8:21 am

Another sobering number is the thousands of dollars spent on shipping.

gwells
Name: Greg

Post by gwells » Fri May 14, 2021 8:25 am

most of you guys shame my numbers. and i'm ok with that :).

my biggest shame is the pile of micros that i don't wear any more that i haven't sold cuz i just hate the selling process.

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Fri May 14, 2021 8:40 am

gwells wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 8:25 am
my biggest shame is the pile of micros that i don't wear any more that i haven't sold cuz i just hate the selling process.
Unless they're weird/terrible I think you could price them cheap for an easy/quick sale on here.

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Fri May 14, 2021 8:41 am

It's not so bad when you realize that you're double-counting a lot of that money, since you're selling to buy the next one.

What is more painful is, in today's hyped market, realizing what you COULD have gotten today for watches you sold cheaply in the past :).

Or, as Matt said, amount spent simply on shipping.
:htfu:

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Fri May 14, 2021 8:48 am

Yeah, I'm about to list a bunch I don't wear anymore as well. I think it was Chris who pointed out it made no sense to hang onto a watch you could get a couple hundred for if you don't wear it. Average watches do not rise in value just sitting in the back of the watch box.

I also hate the selling process which has helped me procrastinate on this effort, but I will get it done.

As for the watch hobby cost, I wouldn't be too worried about it. If you can afford it, and get enjoyment out of it, then I don't see the harm.

Go find yourself a golf enthusiast and ask how much they have spent on greens fee's and equipment over the past 16 years. You'll feel better about yourself!

BlueSky
Name: David

Post by BlueSky » Fri May 14, 2021 8:58 am

gwells wrote:

I've never sold anything, watches or otherwise, for that very reason. Regarding the dollars spent and such, I've never had a problem spending money on something I enjoy, and I think that's a good way to look at it.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Fri May 14, 2021 9:00 am

matt.wu wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 8:41 am
It's not so bad when you realize that you're double-counting a lot of that money, since you're selling to buy the next one.

What is more painful is, in today's hyped market, realizing what you COULD have gotten today for watches you sold cheaply in the past :).

Yeah. The Daytonas that came and went about five or six years ago hurt. Not that I didn't get a good deal on the sales at the time, but...

AtomicTom
Nuclear Personality!!!!
Name: Tom

Post by AtomicTom » Fri May 14, 2021 9:02 am

:o That is something Andy, and yes, a little more than me, or a lot more like you said. :oops:

But honestly am not sure how sobering it is. ..Sounds pretty extraordinary to me ! :)
Hope you keep on having fun, and that you don't even think about any numbers sir. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer

Post by JBZ » Fri May 14, 2021 9:07 am

Ryeguy wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 8:48 am
Yeah, I'm about to list a bunch I don't wear anymore as well. I think it was Chris who pointed out it made no sense to hang onto a watch you could get a couple hundred for if you don't wear it. Average watches do not rise in value just sitting in the back of the watch box.

I also hate the selling process which has helped me procrastinate on this effort, but I will get it done.

As for the watch hobby cost, I wouldn't be too worried about it. If you can afford it, and get enjoyment out of it, then I don't see the harm.

Go find yourself a golf enthusiast and ask how much they have spent on greens fee's and equipment over the past 16 years. You'll feel better about yourself!
I feel the same. I don't begrudge anyone the size of their collection, but I've found that when I own several watches, most of them don't get worn. I suppose if I had the money to own ten Pateks or APs, I might fell differently. I've found a two watch collection to be the best fit for me, and I only really want two because of my (mostly imagined) worry that one will break down so I want something else to wear while it's getting serviced.

Regarding money, I try not to think about it. I know I've lost more than I've made, but I've gotten to temporarily own some pretty nice watches along the way, so it's been fun.

I also hate the selling process, so I'm trying to get off that train.

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Fri May 14, 2021 9:07 am

JBZ wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 9:00 am
matt.wu wrote:

Yeah. The Daytonas that came and went about five or six years ago hurt. Not that I didn't get a good deal on the sales at the time, but...
I’m surprised you didn’t like the Daytona. I think it’s the perfect watch. Was it your need of a date?

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer

Post by JBZ » Fri May 14, 2021 9:11 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 9:07 am
JBZ wrote:
matt.wu wrote:

I’m surprised you didn’t like the Daytona. I think it’s the perfect watch. Was it your need of a date?
Yup. Other than that it's the right size for me and looks great. And the tech on the 4130 is very cool. It's not the most legible watch I've ever owned, but that was a minor quibble given everything else.

I suppose the only other thing was that I prefer having two "pretty nice" watches versus one "really nice" (read expensive) watch. But if there was a date option, I probably would have kept one.

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Fri May 14, 2021 9:29 am

JBZ wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 9:11 am
JP Chestnut wrote:
JBZ wrote:
matt.wu wrote:

Yup. Other than that it's the right size for me and looks great. And the tech on the 4130 is very cool. It's not the most legible watch I've ever owned, but that was a minor quibble given everything else.

I suppose the only other thing was that I prefer having two "pretty nice" watches versus one "really nice" (read expensive) watch. But if there was a date option, I probably would have kept one.
That makes sense. I have a strong preference for ND watches since I almost always have to start a watch from dead when I wear it and never take the time to set the date. I think my ideal three watch (I can't do two) setup would by my white daytona, my 14060m, and an explorer 1 of some sort.

smellody
Name: Christopher

Post by smellody » Fri May 14, 2021 9:32 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 9:29 am
JBZ wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
JBZ wrote:
matt.wu wrote:

That makes sense. I have a strong preference for ND watches since I almost always have to start a watch from dead when I wear it and never take the time to set the date. I think my ideal three watch (I can't do two) setup would by my white daytona, my 14060m, and an explorer 1 of some sort.
That is a winning trifecta!

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer

Post by JBZ » Fri May 14, 2021 10:12 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 9:29 am
JBZ wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
JBZ wrote:
matt.wu wrote:

I've sold/traded some pretty nice watches (including all three of those) over the date issue. As I've said before, I blame mental illness.

unsub073
Name: chris

Post by unsub073 » Fri May 14, 2021 10:26 am

gwells wrote:

Yeap. That is my problem as well. I keep saying that I am going to get rid of them to fund something better, and here I sit with them still around. :banghead: