Synchron 70’s Military Homage

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
Steve O.
Name: Uh, Steve

Re: Synchron 70’s Military Homage

Post by Steve O. » Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:37 am

If you just can't wait, there's a couple for sale over on WUS for $1,300. + :grin: GTFO!
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things." - George Carlin

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:14 am

Steve O. wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:37 am
If you just can't wait, there's a couple for sale over on WUS for $1,300. + :grin: GTFO!
Crazy.... I'd rather wait 2 months and save $300.

Then again, I'm sure someone will buy one. What's the old saying - "a fool and their money are soon parted"

ds760476
Name: Devon

Post by ds760476 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:03 am

Dang, I should have WUS-gouged on my flip. :-)

aikiman44
Tiki Extraordinaire
Name: J

Post by aikiman44 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:34 pm

Several have sold at that price.
"We'd better synchronize our watches."

Steve O.

Post by Steve O. » Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:41 pm

aikiman44 wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:34 pm
Several have sold at that price.
Supply and demand. Depends on how bad you want it.

mattcantwin
mattcreatestonsofwatchrelateddrama

Post by mattcantwin » Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:09 pm

Despite "all this", I am looking forward to see what Synchron releases next.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:21 pm

aikiman44 wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:48 am
It seems like a fair offering.
It does for sure

pete26
Name: Peter Lind

Post by pete26 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:38 pm

I'm afraid I fanned some flames in the WUS thread. Just posted my thought on the Doxa issues and Rick Marei, particularly when Flying Doctor stated that Rick was never an employee of Doxa, which is plain crap. His title was Marketing Manager Doxa SA.

I am still waiting to see pics of both the Doxa manufacture and the new Synchron one. Does anyone remember the feud between Rick and that other employee who asked for a raise and copped crap from both Rick and the Jenny family?

pete26

Post by pete26 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:46 pm

DEMO wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:00 pm
Mine arrived yesterday morning. So far I am extremely happy with it.

Here's a few preliminary down-n-dirty cell phone pics I shot on the Tropic strap. I really like this new Synchron Military. So much character, I've been waiting 20 years for a re-edition of one of these. I can't stop looking at the dial design. The whole watch really has a cool vintage vibe successfully executed. Oh and BTW, the white dial center is an eggshell creamy "vintage" white color. Nice detail!

The watches come with three straps, Tropic and two Synchron Natos. A couple of guys said they also received Isofranes with theirs but that is an anomaly.

Aluminum tube package

Are Doxa and Synchron using the same factory in China?

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:52 pm

tattoo chef wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:55 pm
How many are waiting? 33? And they shipped all others so far?
And they offered to refund and give a future 10% discount or an isofrane if you wait?

That doesn’t sound like Oliver at all nor does it sound like they are scamming anyone.

The factory was probably making them in batches and there was a delay.
This wasn’t a 6 month preorder either. Some got there watches a week after order.

You wanna see a scam? Google Hamtun H3-KS backers been waiting since November but original campaign was in April. No end in sight apparently either as the owner has personal issues and depression or some shit and dealing with a sick mom, or so that is the excuse. Either way the campaign made $265,000, but I don’t think anyone has received their watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Don I honestly do not believe Hamtun and Oliver started out as a scam.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:57 pm

pete26 wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:38 pm
I'm afraid I fanned some flames in the WUS thread. Just posted my thought on the Doxa issues and Rick Marei, particularly when Flying Doctor stated that Rick was never an employee of Doxa, which is plain crap. His title was Marketing Manager Doxa SA.

I am still waiting to see pics of both the Doxa manufacture and the new Synchron one. Does anyone remember the feud between Rick and that other employee who asked for a raise and copped crap from both Rick and the Jenny family?
Some like to forget. The Rick Marei era was not as positive as some claim it was. And the flydoc is just his sidekick shill.

That employee you speak of I believe is still on the forums.

pete26

Post by pete26 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:11 am

toxicavenger wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:57 pm
pete26 wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:38 pm

Some like to forget. The Rick Marei era was not as positive as some claim it was. And the flydoc is just his sidekick shill.

That employee you speak of I believe is still on the forums.
That's right John Vargas, Flying Doctor is calling me out on what my agenda is on the Doxa forum no doubt comparing the Synchron to the Doxa fake prototype.

John Vargas actually was the guy who blew the Chinese manufacture whistle when he was being bagged by the Jenny family and Rick Marei.

demer03
Current Forecast: Vintage Doxa
Name: Mike

Post by demer03 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:52 am

Making the rounds still, I see. Opinions vary.
Old Michigan steams like a young man's dreams
The islands and bays are for sportsmen

Ryeguy

Post by Ryeguy » Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:04 am

@ Pete, I’m sorry, but I don’t see the connection between the old accusations that Doxa subs were made in China and this new Synchron offering.

I’d think it was much more likely that the Synchron watch offering was made in the same facilities as Aquastar than Doxa. Are you alleging Aquastar are also made in China?

I do agree with the sentiment that Rick seems to be bent on “out-Doxa’ing Doxa”. If that is in fact true, then I’d think we, the consumer, will benefit. I’m actually looking forward to seeing what they release next.

From my perspective, the Synchron Military represents a pretty good value proposition at $990.

pete26

Post by pete26 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:42 am

Ryeguy wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:04 am
@ Pete, I’m sorry, but I don’t see the connection between the old accusations that Doxa subs were made in China and this new Synchron offering.

I’d think it was much more likely that the Synchron watch offering was made in the same facilities as Aquastar than Doxa. Are you alleging Aquastar are also made in China?

I do agree with the sentiment that Rick seems to be bent on “out-Doxa’ing Doxa”. If that is in fact true, then I’d think we, the consumer, will benefit. I’m actually looking forward to seeing what they release next.

From my perspective, the Synchron Military represents a pretty good value proposition at $990.
Synchron were part of DOXA and part of the same scam as DOXA, I don't mind the watch but are we saying now that Synchron is Swiss made cos it don't say so on the watch. I also don't buy the blurb on the Aqustar website. Has anyone seen the Aquastar, DOXA and Synchron facilities or are they all still playing the secrecy game?

Sorry Chris having followed Rick's shenanigans for many years and have seen the way he treats customers, so no thanks not buying the whole thing, and what's with the misaligned markers?

Ryeguy

Post by Ryeguy » Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:18 am

I don’t think the Synchron is Swiss made nor do I think there were claims made that it was. I think the claim is it was made / assembled in Germany, but at $990, I honestly don’t really care. I’m more concerned about the quality of the components, machining, and assembly than the nationality of the workers.

By all accounts, the Synchron Military seems to be a well made watch.

Maybe I’ll be proven to be wrong, but I am wishing Rick the best of luck with his new endeavors. If he can produce decent quality watches at reasonable prices, with good customer service, then I’m all for it.

aikiman44
Tiki Extraordinaire
Name: J

Post by aikiman44 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:39 am

I think most owners, aside from the flurry of flippers with any new offering, are happy with the quality of the Army.
"We'd better synchronize our watches."

pete26

Post by pete26 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:30 pm

Ryeguy wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:18 am
I don’t think the Synchron is Swiss made nor do I think there were claims made that it was. I think the claim is it was made / assembled in Germany, but at $990, I honestly don’t really care. I’m more concerned about the quality of the components, machining, and assembly than the nationality of the workers.

Maybe I’ll be proven to be wrong, but I am wishing Rick the best of luck with his new endeavors. If he can produce decent quality watches at reasonable prices, with good customer service, then I’m all for it.
I'm not questioning the quality other than the misaligned markers but I thought ETA were no longer providing movements outside the Swatch group, even Sinn, Breitling, Fortis and Oris now source their movements from Sellita or trying to produce in-house and from the Kenissi group, jointly made by Tudor and Chanel.

Good luck with your Synchron but not or me. I m pretty much over homage watches.

Ryeguy

Post by Ryeguy » Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:52 pm

pete26 wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:30 pm
Ryeguy wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:18 am

I'm not questioning the quality other than the misaligned markers but I thought ETA were no longer providing movements outside the Swatch group, even Sinn, Breitling, Fortis and Oris now source their movements from Sellita or trying to produce in-house and from the Kenissi group, jointly made by Tudor and Chanel.

Good luck with your Synchron but not or me. I m pretty much over homage watches.
There are still a ton of watches outside of Swatch still using ETA movements. I think Squale and Damasko still use ETA, for example.

As for homage watches, I think there are nuances to be considered. I have no interest in Sub clones, but a re-pop of some obscure reference can be intriguing, especially if it includes some unique/ modern enhancements.

This is one of the reasons I have been such a supporter of Dan at OWC, but I have to admit, the Soprod A10 he selected has been a fickle movement, requiring two trips back to Australia for correction (it was over oiled from the factory and ultimately Daz had to disassemble, clean, reassemble and properly oil it before it ran well. Been perfect ever sense - Soprod’s fault, not OWC’s - Dan has been 100% behind his product).

If Rick stands behind his Synchron brand watches as well as Dan at OWC, I think the WIS community will be better for it. I’m keeping my fingers crossed this is the case. Time will tell.

bedlam
Name: Carl

Post by bedlam » Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:05 pm

Just reading this thread now.

They actually put 'Military' on the dial rather than 'Army'. Cringe.

Not a fan of copy watches and wouldn't go anywhere near the Synchron circus even if you paid me.

justsellbrgs
Name: John

Post by justsellbrgs » Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:20 am

pete26 wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:42 am
Ryeguy wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:04 am

Synchron were part of DOXA and part of the same scam as DOXA, I don't mind the watch but are we saying now that Synchron is Swiss made cos it don't say so on the watch. I also don't buy the blurb on the Aqustar website. Has anyone seen the Aquastar, DOXA and Synchron facilities or are they all still playing the secrecy game?

Sorry Chris having followed Rick's shenanigans for many years and have seen the way he treats customers, so no thanks not buying the whole thing, and what's with the misaligned markers?
I consider all to be made in China unless paperwork can be shown otherwise. Then again I have to lean a different way based on what comes across my desk day to day -------- I just sold a $3800 bearing to a guy who is exporting the bearing to Russia. The bearing was made in Milan Italy -- but that's just where the factory is. Lots of product can be made in Asia, and "repackaged" elsewhere. To secure the order I had to show proof.....hmmm. I had to wire $275 to the Milan Chamber of Commerce and have a city official visit and provide formal documentation the product was made in the facility I claimed.
"Go forth, my progeny, grab the world by the balls, squeeze hard and shake vigorously." J. Koch (aka "Swedefreak")

Steve O.

Post by Steve O. » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:22 am

That's interesting John. Of course I know nothing about your business, but it sounds like your customer wanted exactly what they were paying for. The same can be applied to watches.

tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>
Name: Don

Post by tattoo chef » Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:52 pm

Steve O. wrote:That's interesting John. Of course I know nothing about your business, but it sounds like your customer wanted exactly what they were paying for. The same can be applied to watches.
Unfortunately the watch industry is still sneaky and Swiss Made has as many loopholes as the cheese.
Countless brands start out in China and then make their way to Germany and Switzerland.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

justsellbrgs
Name: John

Post by justsellbrgs » Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:00 pm

Steve O. wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:22 am
That's interesting John. Of course I know nothing about your business, but it sounds like your customer wanted exactly what they were paying for. The same can be applied to watches.
exactly Steve.... it boils down to too much is being offered without clarification. Several have "manufacturing" in Germany, Austria, Italy, Czech Rep, etc.....when in fact the raw or semi finished is done in Asia, and finishing and/or labeling is done in the Western plant. Like anything, people are stretching the truth too far and leaving true country of origin unclear..... certain industries and applications need specifics for safety and insurance purposes.

to make the concept as basic as possible --- 90% of people on here may not understand a bearing, but that same % have heard of Timken. yes they manufacture in Canton, OH......but many bearings, big and small, are made Romania, Korea, Turkey.....and in China with a Timken label.
"Go forth, my progeny, grab the world by the balls, squeeze hard and shake vigorously." J. Koch (aka "Swedefreak")

Ryeguy

Post by Ryeguy » Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:17 am

I think the difference here is the watch industry has promoted the idea that a Swiss Made label is worth a significant price premium, yet as Don accurately points out, the rules associated with applying that designation are so loose they are almost meaningless.

A lot of industries play this game, but the watch industry has made an art form of purposefully obscuring the true country of manufacture in order to justify a price point.

All that said, I still don’t see the connection of this topic to the Synchron offering. It is not Swiss Made and Synchron never claimed it to be.

My understanding is Synchron claims it was made in Germany.

Now we can debate what “made in Germany” means as there isn’t a firm definition as far as I know like there is with the “made in the USA” label. My guess is it was assembled in Germany from globally sourced components.

Bottom line for me is this Synchron Military seems to be a well made $990 dollar watch. If Synchron was charging Doxa prices (i.e. $2,500 for the 300) I might be more concerned with the justification of that price point, but at 1/3 that price, I’m satisfied with the numerous positive owner reports.