date change

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
poppydog
aka Nelldog
Name: Steve

date change

Post by poppydog » Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:23 am

Does anyone know what may be going on in a movement when the date changes around 6, rather than 12? My Bremont S500 is doing this. I suspect it may have done so from new as I've never set the date and never do on my watches. I've not worn it for a week or so and only noticed it today after setting the time and the hands passed 6. Any thoughts?
Regards

Steve

pbj204
Name: Paul

Re: date change

Post by pbj204 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:01 pm

The movement is probably fine. They could have just put on the hands before adjusting the date.

You have to turn the crown until the date changes before attaching the hands (all pointing to 12). If you forget, the hands will still line up but the date can change whenever.

poppydog
aka Nelldog

Post by poppydog » Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:43 pm

pbj204 wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:01 pm
The movement is probably fine. They could have just put on the hands before adjusting the date.

You have to turn the crown until the date changes before attaching the hands (all pointing to 12). If you forget, the hands will still line up but the date can change whenever.
Thanks Paul, never occurred to me it could be that simple :cheers: I've contacted Bremont about returning it.
Regards

Steve

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:28 pm

Steve if you have not had this issue in the past then you might have something going on with your movement.

poppydog
aka Nelldog

Post by poppydog » Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:49 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:28 pm
Steve if you have not had this issue in the past then you might have something going on with your movement.
Thanks Terry. I honestly don't know since I've never bothered with the date and never noticed when it changed when setting the time. I'm going to send it back anyway. I raised this point on the alt1tude forum: there seem to be quite a few Bremonts for sale where there is a picture of a handwritten note from Bremont referencing a warranty repair. This is the second one I've had to return, and one guy said he's had 7 and 4 have had warranty work done. I don't know if it's more noticeable because they produce fewer watches, or whether there's a higher-than-normal ratio that have issues :shrug:
Regards

Steve

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:37 am

poppydog wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:49 pm
toxicavenger wrote:
Thanks Terry. I honestly don't know since I've never bothered with the date and never noticed when it changed when setting the time. I'm going to send it back anyway. I raised this point on the alt1tude forum: there seem to be quite a few Bremonts for sale where there is a picture of a handwritten note from Bremont referencing a warranty repair. This is the second one I've had to return, and one guy said he's had 7 and 4 have had warranty work done. I don't know if it's more noticeable because they produce fewer watches, or whether there's a higher-than-normal ratio that have issues :shrug:
7 out of 4 does not sound good. that blows. if anything being such a small brand and a higher price point I would expect top notch qc. i have heard they have a really good warranty. so that is a positive. good luck

poppydog
aka Nelldog

Post by poppydog » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:55 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:37 am
poppydog wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:49 pm
toxicavenger wrote:
7 out of 4 does not sound good. that blows. if anything being such a small brand and a higher price point I would expect top notch qc. i have heard they have a really good warranty. so that is a positive. good luck
Thanks Terry. Yeah, their CS and warranty are very good, and everyone says how things were put right but it does appear to be an issue. Another guy has 5 and 3 have had to go back. Despite the good CS it easy to see how people may lose confidence in the brand, and I'm pretty much there myself.
Regards

Steve

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:43 am

Damn that sucks. With all those returns they have to hemorrhaging money. I know one thing if it was I would totally be trying to restructure things to fix the issue.

Good luck with it. If they don't help you then let me know and I will see what I can do.

poppydog
aka Nelldog

Post by poppydog » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:11 am

toxicavenger wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:43 am
Damn that sucks. With all those returns they have to hemorrhaging money. I know one thing if it was I would totally be trying to restructure things to fix the issue.

Good luck with it. If they don't help you then let me know and I will see what I can do.
Thanks mate, appreciate that.
Regards

Steve

poppydog
aka Nelldog

Post by poppydog » Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:59 pm

Update: got an email yesterday from Bremont's diagnostic team saying it's being repaired under warranty, but that it "was evident that upon receipt, that the rapid date change was used within the restricted hours of 8pm and 2am" causing damage to the date wheel. Not sure whether it's just my interpretation, but that sounds a bit like an accusation. It may well have happened, but it wasn't me. I've emailed back re-affirming I've never bothered with the date and had never set it before I noticed it was wrong. We'll see what happens next, although at least it's being repaired.
Regards

Steve

blkgsl
Herro!!!
Name: blkgsl

Post by blkgsl » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:48 pm

poppydog wrote:Update: got an email yesterday from Bremont's diagnostic team saying it's being repaired under warranty, but that it "was evident that upon receipt, that the rapid date change was used within the restricted hours of 8pm and 2am" causing damage to the date wheel. Not sure whether it's just my interpretation, but that sounds a bit like an accusation. It may well have happened, but it wasn't me. I've emailed back re-affirming I've never bothered with the date and had never set it before I noticed it was wrong. We'll see what happens next, although at least it's being repaired.
Couple things -

1) the s500 has an instant change date using a basic eta 28xx movement, it’s not a slow rollover date a la 775x. Changing the date between 8 and 2 on the 28xx series should not permanently damage the date change mechanism anyway (it may cause the spring tension to release, thus skipping a “cycle” of date change)

2) even if the above was incorrect, and there was permanent damage the mechanism from changing date in the forbidden window, the date wheel won’t subsequently advance consistently @ 6 rather than 12. It’ll simply get stuck and fail to advance altogether

My opinion here is the hands were simply installed incorrectly, perhaps with the movement upside down. I’m surprised the manufacturer would even put up a fight here - the fix is 10 minutes for any trained watchmaker.

CarloDWC
Name: Carlo

Post by CarloDWC » Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:05 am

blkgsl wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:48 pm
poppydog wrote:Update: got an email yesterday from Bremont's diagnostic team saying it's being repaired under warranty, but that it "was evident that upon receipt, that the rapid date change was used within the restricted hours of 8pm and 2am" causing damage to the date wheel. Not sure whether it's just my interpretation, but that sounds a bit like an accusation. It may well have happened, but it wasn't me. I've emailed back re-affirming I've never bothered with the date and had never set it before I noticed it was wrong. We'll see what happens next, although at least it's being repaired.
Couple things -

1) the s500 has an instant change date using a basic eta 28xx movement, it’s not a slow rollover date a la 775x. Changing the date between 8 and 2 on the 28xx series should not permanently damage the date change mechanism anyway (it may cause the spring tension to release, thus skipping a “cycle” of date change)

2) even if the above was incorrect, and there was permanent damage the mechanism from changing date in the forbidden window, the date wheel won’t subsequently advance consistently @ 6 rather than 12. It’ll simply get stuck and fail to advance altogether

My opinion here is the hands were simply installed incorrectly, perhaps with the movement upside down. I’m surprised the manufacturer would even put up a fight here - the fix is 10 minutes for any trained watchmaker.
I think they are just trying to be right and justify the fact that it was a mistake. I agree that if the mechanism was damaged it seems strange that the date change would happen at 6 rather then 12... Maybe he can ask what "damaged" means? the parts in question are small so they could damage easily but all I could think of is missing teeth on some cogs... which would not make the date change at a different time. :scratch:

I am still baffled by the fact that some movement still have the "no date change zone" too. It surely would be a good idea to figure out a way to make it more fool proof. Most people don't even know this fact... :shrug:

logan2z
IT Admin
Name: Andrew

Post by logan2z » Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:57 am

poppydog wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:59 pm
Update: got an email yesterday from Bremont's diagnostic team saying it's being repaired under warranty, but that it "was evident that upon receipt, that the rapid date change was used within the restricted hours of 8pm and 2am" causing damage to the date wheel. Not sure whether it's just my interpretation, but that sounds a bit like an accusation. It may well have happened, but it wasn't me. I've emailed back re-affirming I've never bothered with the date and had never set it before I noticed it was wrong. We'll see what happens next, although at least it's being repaired.
It is a little odd that Bremont would say something like that if they're going to fix it under warranty anyway. I guess they wanted you to know they were doing you a 'favor' :shrug:

I wouldn't personally get into it with them, I'd just say 'thanks' and enjoy the repaired watch.

blkgsl
Herro!!!

Post by blkgsl » Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:37 am

Yeah, agreed; don't get into it, but take a mental note you're probably better off going with an independent watchmaker (e.g. Terry) if not covered under warranty.

poppydog
aka Nelldog

Post by poppydog » Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:46 am

Thanks fellas, appreciate your input, and yes, I don't get the link between the slow-date and it changing at the wrong time. I'm not going to make an issue of it, but I have replied and made the point that I'd never changed the date, as well as asking about the time the date changes as they didn't address that in the "diagnosis".

Thanks again guys, I'll add updates when I get it back.
Regards

Steve

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:31 pm

bull*cough*shit

if the date lever was damaged due to changing the date during those hours it would not make the date change 12 hours off from normal. that is a CYA reply. maybe someone in the front office came up with that reply and they are not aware of the bs being spread by it.

time to cut some losses. sorry to hear you had to deal with this

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:58 pm

Agree with everyone that their explanation is BS. But they’re fixing it under warranty, so my thought is just accept their passive-aggressive “you broke it but we’ll fix it” position.

poppydog
aka Nelldog

Post by poppydog » Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:16 am

Email from Bremont CS today:

"I have to apologise . . . our initial diagnosis . . . was not correct. When our watchmaker opened up the watch he had noted a faulty calendar driving wheel"

I respect their openness over this. Hopefully, they're fast-tracking repair.
Regards

Steve

blkgsl
Herro!!!

Post by blkgsl » Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:53 am

poppydog wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:16 am

"I have to apologise . . . our initial diagnosis . . . was not correct. When our watchmaker opened up the watch he had noted a faulty calendar driving wheel"

There ya go :).

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Post by BBK357 » Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:57 pm

blkgsl wrote:
poppydog wrote:

Zack irl
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

blkgsl
Herro!!!

Post by blkgsl » Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:10 pm

BBK357 wrote:
blkgsl wrote:
poppydog wrote:

Zack irl
Lmao

jeckyll
Honorary Assistant Jr. Hall Monitor in Training
Name: Björn

Post by jeckyll » Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:59 pm

BBK357 wrote:
blkgsl wrote:
poppydog wrote:

Zack irl
That's just silly, his picture is in his avatar.

Looks nothing like that watchmaker...
We all have the same enemy. The enemy is the tyranny of the dull mind. - - Tom Robbins