New Benrus Type I

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
logan2z
IT Admin
Name: Andrew

Re: New Benrus Type I

Post by logan2z » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:00 pm

^^ Saw that, great response from the manufacturer.

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Post by Chocodove » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:17 pm

It’s an excellent response and now makes me more likely to get one.
- Todd

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:20 pm

Weird, at this cost point they didn't eliminate the ghost date setting. I remember not too long ago micro brands being roasted over this, and there were watches under $1,000.

logan2z
IT Admin

Post by logan2z » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:25 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:20 pm
Weird, at this cost point they didn't eliminate the ghost date setting. I remember not too long ago micro brands being roasted over this, and there were watches under $1,000.
Definitely would have been better if they'd removed it. I'm pretty sure that Stowa removes it on their no-date watches. But I've owned a watch with a ghost date and it didn't bug me too much.

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Post by BBK357 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:27 pm

toxicavenger wrote:Weird, at this cost point they didn't eliminate the ghost date setting. I remember not too long ago micro brands being roasted over this, and there were watches under $1,000.
My Paradive has it and it’s so dumb. It does cheapen the watch for sure.

That being said I do want to try the new Benrus
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:28 pm

logan2z wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:25 pm
toxicavenger wrote:
Definitely would have been better if they'd removed it. I'm pretty sure that Stowa removes it on their no-date watches. But I've owned a watch with a ghost date and it didn't bug me too much.
Honestly it doesn't bug me at all. But at one time people here were saying they wouldn't buy a watch with that attribute. For this price point it's something that should not be there. For example If Monta did this on their release they would have been grilled even more than they were.

Selym
Name: Myles

Post by Selym » Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:08 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:28 pm
logan2z wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:
Honestly it doesn't bug me at all. But at one time people here were saying they wouldn't buy a watch with that attribute. For this price point it's something that should not be there. For example If Monta did this on their release they would have been grilled even more than they were.
I see it as a feature. If you decide you want to switch to a dial with a date aperture, you're good to go. :thumbsup:

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:21 pm

Selym wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:08 pm
toxicavenger wrote:
logan2z wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:
I see it as a feature. If you decide you want to switch to a dial with a date aperture, you're good to go. :thumbsup:
hahahaha :monkeypiss:

streetracer101
Name: Mr Shackleford

Post by streetracer101 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:08 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
logan2z wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:
Agreed, but watch nerds are a fickle group. I thought the response on MWR was excellent. It goes to show that so much more goes into the design of these than what often meets the eye. I want one, but not at retail. My guess is that these will find permanent homes and never leave (unless one lands at Hop's place).

streetracer101

Post by streetracer101 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:13 pm

Side note. These haven't sold out, so this made me laugh:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Benrus-Type-1- ... SwRVJfrKWm
I appreciate the NIB comment with a hairy wrist shot pic.

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:23 pm

streetracer101 wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:
logan2z wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:
Agreed, but watch nerds are a fickle group. I thought the response on MWR was excellent. It goes to show that so much more goes into the design of these than what often meets the eye. I want one, but not at retail. My guess is that these will find permanent homes and never leave (unless one lands at Hop's place).
Mine isn’t going anywhere.

jtbenson
Name: jason

Post by jtbenson » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:29 pm

I will just add that I reached out to Darius with a few concerns after receiving my shipment from ‘dinkee today.
He replied directly via email addressing all my questions/concerns directly.
Extremely content with his responses.
I invited him to come here and join this discussion.

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:00 pm

logan2z wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:
People bitched about it on the U1-Pro. Removing it would have added about $100 to the price. Sinn didn’t have no-date movements in stock, obviously. When the price is getting higher than you’d like, sacrifices must be made. That was a choice I’ll defend any day.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

sierra11b
Name: Eric

Post by sierra11b » Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:48 am

hoppyjr wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:23 pm
streetracer101 wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:
logan2z wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:

Sure! :roll:

spring-diver
Name: Shannon

Post by spring-diver » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:46 am

hoppyjr wrote:
streetracer101 wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:
logan2z wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:

Congrats buddy ImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Seiko: SBDB001, SBDX001, SRP777

Sinn: EZM9, T1, T1B, 836 & 857S

:cheers:

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:31 am

streetracer101 wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:13 pm
Side note. These haven't sold out, so this made me laugh:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Benrus-Type-1- ... SwRVJfrKWm
I appreciate the NIB comment with a hairy wrist shot pic.
they stole hodinkee's pics also. pretty shitty

BBK357
Ban Jacobs

Post by BBK357 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:01 am

hoppyjr wrote:
streetracer101 wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:
logan2z wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:

And if history is correct——— it may live in Ohio.

DEATH FROM ABOVE

BBK357
Ban Jacobs

Post by BBK357 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:01 am

CGSshorty wrote:
logan2z wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:
People bitched about it on the U1-Pro. Removing it would have added about $100 to the price. Sinn didn’t have no-date movements in stock, obviously. When the price is getting higher than you’d like, sacrifices must be made. That was a choice I’ll defend any day.
That makes sense.
I’d rather pay $100 less and have the ghost date then.

DEATH FROM ABOVE

logan2z
IT Admin

Post by logan2z » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:31 am

CGSshorty wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:00 pm
logan2z wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:
Just to clarify the term 'ghost date', are we talking about removing the date mechanism from the movement but retaining the date setting position of the crown, or is the date mechanism left in place as well? I don't think I'd mind the 'ghost' position on the crown, but I don't think I'd like to hear the date clicking over in my no-date watch.

Possibly showing my ignorance about movement design here, maybe it's all or nothing.

R@cerx
Name: David

Post by R@cerx » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:44 am

BBK357 wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:01 am
CGSshorty wrote:
logan2z wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:
That makes sense.

They could have made up the cost of making this change to the movement by selling these themselves.

TSD
Name: Tom

Post by TSD » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:46 am

logan2z wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:31 am
Just to clarify the term 'ghost date', are we talking about removing the date mechanism from the movement but retaining the date setting position of the crown, or is the date mechanism left in place as well? I don't think I'd mind the 'ghost' position on the crown, but I don't think I'd like to hear the date clicking over in my no-date watch.
The U1 Pro is my only experience with this, but its just a 'ghost' position on the crown. There's no noise and nothing going on when the crown's in that position.

BBK357
Ban Jacobs

Post by BBK357 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:09 pm

TSD wrote:
logan2z wrote:
The U1 Pro is my only experience with this, but its just a 'ghost' position on the crown. There's no noise and nothing going on when the crown's in that position.

Oh yes- that’s not bad at all. And I don’t remember my u1p having the click with the date.

Now my paradong totally has the date function still working inside. That I what I don’t like- healing a click at midnight and it’s a no date

DEATH FROM ABOVE

dukerules

Post by dukerules » Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:59 pm

TSD wrote:
logan2z wrote:
Yep. Theoretically this should bother me, but it doesn’t in the slightest.

streetracer101

Post by streetracer101 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:11 pm

R@cerx wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:44 am
BBK357 wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:01 am
CGSshorty wrote:
logan2z wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:
That makes sense.

They could have made up the cost of making this change to the movement by selling these themselves.
If they haven't sold out a small production # with the help of Hoodwinked, they probably wouldn't move many pieces at all without them.

streetracer101

Post by streetracer101 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:12 pm

hoppyjr wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:23 pm
streetracer101 wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:
logan2z wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:

Shoot me a txt when you change your mind.