Name: Mike

Re: All the Presidents’ Watches

Post by jimyritz » Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:31 am

Wonder where Putin got the money for those watches :think: :think:

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:48 am

jimyritz wrote:Wonder where Putin got the money for those watches :think: :think:
He saves money by not buying shirts.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:01 am

jimyritz wrote:Wonder where Putin got the money for those watches :think: :think:
In completely legitimate ways, no doubt.

Panerai7
Name: Art

Post by Panerai7 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:11 am

Hahaha, I love how Clinton wore his maid's Timex to make the Dems feel good and win poor votes and then after the charade was over he slapped on his JLC NSA. :lol:

dnslater

Post by dnslater » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:50 am

Panerai7 wrote:Hahaha, I love how Clinton wore his maid's Timex to make the Dems feel good and win poor votes and then after the charade was over he slapped on his JLC NSA. :lol:
Don't think he was that wealthy before being president. Makes a shitload on books and speaking engagements now.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer

Post by JBZ » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:57 am

dnslater wrote:
Panerai7 wrote:Hahaha, I love how Clinton wore his maid's Timex to make the Dems feel good and win poor votes and then after the charade was over he slapped on his JLC NSA. :lol:
Don't think he was that wealthy before being president. Makes a shitload on books and speaking engagements now.
Lots of modern presidents have gone "cheap" when it comes to things like watches. Their perception is it plays better in public. They usually also try to buy American whenever they can (Bush, Sr. and Clinton both wore suits from American clothier J. Press).

And it's definitely true Clinton's wealth increased massively after he left the White House.
Last edited by JBZ on Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Panerai7

Post by Panerai7 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:02 am

Right, so did Putin's wealth, it's not the point
Even before he became a president he could have afforded a JLC NSA or anything better than Timex. It's like Jeff said he was playing the public with it.

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:05 am

It's marketing, and it shouldn't be a surprise.
:htfu:

jimyritz
Masshole
Name: Mike

Post by jimyritz » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:11 am

Panerai7 wrote:Right, so did Putin's wealth, it's not the point
Even before he became a president he could have afforded a JLC NSA or anything better than Timex. It's like Jeff said he was playing the public with it.
----------

Very true but not necessarily $700,000 worth of watches...Once he succeeded Yeltsin he was able to leverage his power: His salary is around $180,000 and still talks about "humble means"...

from the web:maybe true maybe not.... :shrug:

Putin allegedly has used his power to build large secret ownership stakes several multi-billion dollar commodity firms. His most vocal critics assert that Putin has leveraged his power to acquire a 4.5% ownership stake in natural gas producer Gazprom, a 37% stake in oil company Surgutneftegas and 50% stake in Swiss oil-trader Gunvor. Gazprom alone does over $150 billion in revenue annually, Guvnor does $80 billion and Surgutneftegas over $20 billion. Using their most recent market capitalizations, Putin's combined ownership stakes would give him a personal net worth of $70 billion!

Panerai7

Post by Panerai7 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:15 am

I agree Putin's worth is based on his cut of selling Russian natural resources.
I was just talking about Clinton's Timex and whom he was fooling with it on his wrist.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:16 am

Panerai7 wrote:Right, so did Putin's wealth, it's not the point
He made pretty good in Arkansas before he became president, he had a ton of "contributors" to help him with his agenda's.

dnslater

Post by dnslater » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:20 am

matt.wu wrote:It's marketing, and it shouldn't be a surprise.
True, Why you see a lot of Timex plastic watches on politician's arms when they are in DC.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:22 am

dnslater wrote:
matt.wu wrote:It's marketing, and it shouldn't be a surprise.
True, Why you see a lot of Timex plastic watches on politician's arms when they are in DC.
But not on the Lobbyists :mrgreen:

Grahamcombat
Name: Graham

Post by Grahamcombat » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:01 am

Our current President told me once, when he was just Senator Obama, that he wouldn't take the complimentary upgrade to First Class on United Airlines so that when he was speaking and campaigning he could say, "I've never even flown first class."

Later on, as President, I reminded him of that comment while talking about Air Force One and he said, "this upgrade is better."

"A man of the people", he said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hazmatman
DWC Tribal Council
Name: Der Brummbär

Post by hazmatman » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:16 am

JBZ wrote:
In completely legitimate ways, no doubt.
He probably has lots of friends, who helped him "build" his collection; just like Bill Clinton.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer

Post by JBZ » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:20 am

Grahamcombat wrote:Our current President told me once, when he was just Senator Obama, that he wouldn't take the complimentary upgrade to First Class on United Airlines so that when he was speaking and campaigning he could say, "I've never even flown first class."

Later on, as President, I reminded him of that comment while talking about Air Force One and he said, "this upgrade is better."

Yeah, Obama definitely shouldn't fly around on Air Force One (or tell jokes). So different from every other president. Maybe he should bike to events.

dnslater

Post by dnslater » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:06 am

Grahamcombat wrote:Our current President told me once,............I reminded him......

Namedropper.

sierra11b
Name: Eric

Post by sierra11b » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:26 am

If I were a second term President I would take off my Shinola or Timex, throw it into the crowd during inauguration, strap on my Patek and yell, "Suckers!"

As I recall this is what Clinton did toward the end of his second term once he got watch fever.

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Post by Chocodove » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:29 am

They'd all prefer to wear MKII's since they are built in the USA, but unfortunately they are never delivered before their terms are up.
- Todd

sierra11b
Name: Eric

Post by sierra11b » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:33 am

Chocodove wrote:They'd all prefer to wear MKII's since they are built in the USA, but unfortunately they are never delivered before their terms are up.
:rimshot: :lol:

dnslater

Post by dnslater » Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:14 pm

Happy bidding, appropriately "Made in the USA" while being $29.95. Imagine that. Why is Weiss so expensive?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Donald-Trump-wa ... SwZ8ZW~IyN

R@cerx
Name: David

Post by R@cerx » Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:45 pm

^
That watch is crap.

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:02 pm

One thing that article is wrong is what pocket watch President Lincoln had a US made Waltham Wm. Ellery model what a average working man can afford in those days. Not from Tiffany. Wonder were else the writer is wrong.

hazmatman
DWC Tribal Council
Name: Der Brummbär

Post by hazmatman » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:14 pm

JBZ wrote:
Grahamcombat wrote:Our current President told me once, when he was just Senator Obama, that he wouldn't take the complimentary upgrade to First Class on United Airlines so that when he was speaking and campaigning he could say, "I've never even flown first class."

Yeah, Obama definitely shouldn't fly around on Air Force One (or tell jokes). So different from every other president. Maybe he should bike to events.
I sense angst. Sarcasm. Why? Graham just relayed a story.

It sounds like a reasonable story. Smart move, never take upgrade and thus can state with veracity he never flew first class. Later he admits he likes flying in AF1. Completely plausible that anyone who pursued and won that office might do such a thing - regardless of the little letter after their name...(D) or (R).

I never read anything else into it.

And this is why I posted hotties with gun pictures in Wayne's gun thread. Guess I need to do the same here. OK, Hotties with watches. Go time. Guess it was bound to happen in a thread with the word "President" in it.