What's next?

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
Torrid
Name: Heath

Re: What's next?

Post by Torrid » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:43 am

For me I get attacks of reason from time to time. When I first got into buying multiple watches I was buying a watch about once a month. I then went to just having one or two watches at a time with no one watch costing more than $600. I am content now as the Tuna I have isn't what I would consider expensive, but it was enough to keep me from wanting to spend more money.

I feel too frugal for this site when I see the WRUW threads.

marchone
Capt. Obvious
Name: Wayne

Post by marchone » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:57 am

Torrid wrote:I feel too frugal for this site when I see the WRUW threads.
+1
only accurate watches are interesting

thequietstorm
Name: Drew

Post by thequietstorm » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:50 am

Nevermind I effed this post up. See later post.
Last edited by thequietstorm on Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

foodle

Post by foodle » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:12 am

JP Chestnut wrote: I've been struggling with this lately. My list of future acquisitions is getting more and more expensive:
IWC 3711 on bracelet
IWC 3705
Rolex Sea Dweller 16600
Rolex SS Daytona
Oh yeah, ceramic IWC Flieger! It's been on my list for a long time, although I'm not sure how I feel about the brittleness of the ceramic.

I've considered getting a 3706 and doing a PVD/DLC treatment instead.
Those watches are all in the $6,000-$10,000 range and I'm not sure how I feel about moving into the five digit watch club. Consequently, I'm seriously thinking about picking up my first Sinn (a $2,000 EZM1) to see if I can still enjoy somewhat reasonably priced watches. Basically, I want to test if my enjoyment of a watch depends on how much I spend on it (an idea I don't like), or if I enjoy my watches due to their intrinsic qualities.
$2k EZM1?!?!? Typo?

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:24 am

foodle wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote: I've been struggling with this lately. My list of future acquisitions is getting more and more expensive:
IWC 3711 on bracelet
IWC 3705
Rolex Sea Dweller 16600
Rolex SS Daytona
Oh yeah, ceramic IWC Flieger! It's been on my list for a long time, although I'm not sure how I feel about the brittleness of the ceramic.

I've considered getting a 3706 and doing a PVD/DLC treatment instead.
Those watches are all in the $6,000-$10,000 range and I'm not sure how I feel about moving into the five digit watch club. Consequently, I'm seriously thinking about picking up my first Sinn (a $2,000 EZM1) to see if I can still enjoy somewhat reasonably priced watches. Basically, I want to test if my enjoyment of a watch depends on how much I spend on it (an idea I don't like), or if I enjoy my watches due to their intrinsic qualities.
$2k EZM1?!?!? Typo?
Typo indeed. It should have been an EZM 3. I seriously considered the nice EZM1 that was for sale on here, but it didn't really fit the "more affordable" parameters of my experiment. I'm trying to find out if Sinn will make me a tegimented non-destro EZM3. If so, I think that's the my next purchase. If not, I might take a gamble on the U1 fitting my wrist and order the fully tegimented version.

I'm not super worried about the ceramic case. I figure if a 3705 has survived this long I'm not likely to break it.

foodle

Post by foodle » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:42 am

JP Chestnut wrote: Typo indeed. It should have been an EZM 3. I seriously considered the nice EZM1 that was for sale on here, but it didn't really fit the "more affordable" parameters of my experiment. I'm trying to find out if Sinn will make me a tegimented non-destro EZM3. If so, I think that's the my next purchase. If not, I might take a gamble on the U1 fitting my wrist and order the fully tegimented version.
EZM1 prices have been coming down lately. They sell in the $4k range now, instead of the $5k range. You could pick up a Bape version for cheap :mrgreen:

For the non-destro EZM3, you would need to flip the dial and swap the date ring. Should be do-able after market. Obviously, Sinn is the only one who can do the tegimenting for you. Used EZM3 on rubber should be pretty cheap (<$1200 range).

I wear a U1-T on my 6.75-7" wrist. It wears more like a 42mm than the 44mm listed size.

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:51 am

foodle wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote: Typo indeed. It should have been an EZM 3. I seriously considered the nice EZM1 that was for sale on here, but it didn't really fit the "more affordable" parameters of my experiment. I'm trying to find out if Sinn will make me a tegimented non-destro EZM3. If so, I think that's the my next purchase. If not, I might take a gamble on the U1 fitting my wrist and order the fully tegimented version.
EZM1 prices have been coming down lately. They sell in the $4k range now, instead of the $5k range. You could pick up a Bape version for cheap :mrgreen:

For the non-destro EZM3, you would need to flip the dial and swap the date ring. Should be do-able after market. Obviously, Sinn is the only one who can do the tegimenting for you. Used EZM3 on rubber should be pretty cheap (<$1200 range).

I wear a U1-T on my 6.75-7" wrist. It wears more like a 42mm than the 44mm listed size.
Thanks for the information. My wrist is under 6.5" (and not overly flat) so I think the U1 would either be too larger, or just barely OK. For example my Speedmaster Pro fits fine in lug to lug length, but the end links could be slightly shorter. Can you tell me how far the bracelet on the U1 extends from the case when you hold the watch by the head? If the bracelet is free to articulate (like a Rolex bracelet) and drops straight down, it might work for me. If the bracelet is somewhat rigid (like at APRO or IWC GST cased watches) I doubt it would work.

Having a small wrist isn't any fun when searching for modern sports watches.

thequietstorm
Name: Drew

Post by thequietstorm » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:36 am

Torrid wrote:For me I get attacks of reason from time to time. When I first got into buying multiple watches I was buying a watch about once a month. I then went to just having one or two watches at a time with no one watch costing more than $600. I am content now as the Tuna I have isn't what I would consider expensive, but it was enough to keep me from wanting to spend more money.

I feel too frugal for this site when I see the WRUW threads.
I too once thought this. But I say eff it. My two watches on my radar are cheap. I've come to the conclusion I'm not an automatic guy. At least my last experience was not a success. I beat my watches too much and get overly concerned with them as autos (I know buy a dive watch).

Anyways. Eventually I will get a winder and have a mostly auto collection. Until then ill be a quartz or hand wind guy. My personal goal is to complete my ideal collection with cheaper versions until I'm really in a position financially to make major purchases on watches (with twins and my wife's wish list this will be some time).

Eventually my ideal collection will consist of a field, a diver, type A and B fliegers, a cockpit watch, and possibly a dress watch if I ever get to that point in my life. Ideally brands like Stowa, Laco, Bell &Ross, Resco, and come to mind. I know these aren't Rolex or anything too far above $1k, but at this point in my life it's difficult to justify spending more than that on a watch. I'm sure that will change as not long ago it was difficult to fathom spending more than $200. But for now ill stick with the affordable ones.

So my next two are the Trintec Zulu 03, I know it's an auto but wanted one for a while. Just looks not as bulky as what I've seen for cockpit watches. May end up sticking with this one for a long while. And the other is the Aristo quartz type A flieger. Although I may consider pjs watches as I like their diamond shaped crown.

For those uneasy about posting their <$500 or less watches, you are in good company and many of us would like to see what less expensive watches you are interested in.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

foodle

Post by foodle » Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:39 pm

thequietstorm wrote:
Torrid wrote: I feel too frugal for this site when I see the WRUW threads.
I too once thought this. But I say eff it. My two watches on my radar are cheap. I've come to the conclusion I'm not an automatic guy. At least my last experience was not a success. I beat my watches too much and get overly concerned with them as autos (I know buy a dive watch).

Anyways. Eventually I will get a winder and have a mostly auto collection. Until then ill be a quartz or hand wind guy. My personal goal is to complete my ideal collection with cheaper versions until I'm really in a position financially to make major purchases on watches (with twins and my wife's wish list this will be some time).
I really don't think there's much (or any) snobbery around here regarding "cheap" watches (remember we're still talking >$500 which most people would consider insanely expensive for a watch) versus more expensive ones. There are some great watches at these price points, including lots of Seiko models people are drooling over. Also remember that many watches that are considered expensive now, weren't always that way (even adjusting for inflation). I bought my EZM1's for $1200 each new from ADs in Germany, and now they go for quite a bit more used.

As for the plan for filling in with cheaper watches until you can afford the ones you really want, it's a viable plan, but might be more expensive in the end than just slowly buying the ones you really want. The upside is that you'll actually have your full spread of watches (albeit lower priced models of the ones you really want). This discussion is pretty hashed out in the "grails" thread from a few days ago.

foodle

Post by foodle » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:10 pm

JP Chestnut wrote:My wrist is under 6.5" (and not overly flat) so I think the U1 would either be too larger, or just barely OK.
At a wrist circumference less than 6.5", I'm going to say that the U1 is probably too big. It has a lug-to-lug dimension of 51mm. I believe the bracelet can go straight down, but it probably won't look that good (I have it on Sinn rubber, so I'm not 100% sure on this). I'm lucky to have relatively flat wrists, so despite the somewhat small circumference, I can pull off a 44-45mm watch depending on the case shape.

On the plus side, the EZM3 should be a good fit at 40mm. You might even take advantage of your smaller wrist and see if a U200 (37mm case) works.

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Post by Chocodove » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:49 pm

I'm tapped for at least a few months and I'm going to enjoy the SubC for a while before I restart the collection.

However, I'm curious for:

U1
I need a watch that will take a a lot of abuse for when I don't wear the Sub. This seems like it will fit the bill.

750t GMT
I had a 5000t and I kinda liked it. Doxa appeals to me for some reason and this is one I'd like to try. I think the Caribbean version of this watch is gorgeous.

Aquatimer 3568
Sold mine chasing the sub but I wouldn't mind another, but this time the black dial.

Seiko???
Fighting the urge to get a Sumo to scratch the one watch itch for a while and I'd like to see what the MM300 is all about one day as well.
- Todd

john wilson
Name: supercalifragilistic

Post by john wilson » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:04 pm

DMB wrote:I'm content with what I have, but I could see trading off the Bond SMP chrono and getting another Speedmaster. Part of me still wants another DOXA, and every time I look at those cheap Seiko divers I think about ordering one. I've had several and they are fun watches that scratch the itch and can be flipped easily.
O.K.Maybe....I kind of miss the chrono.
"Remove booger hook from bang button until ready to make holes." Albert Einstein

ImageImage

bottom of the ninth
Name: Trent

Post by bottom of the ninth » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:34 pm

I'm pretty happy with what I have but I'm looking forward to the new SAS and maybe a Panerai 285 next year. Will see what happens... :shrug:
"Baseball? It's just a game-as simple as a ball and bat. Yet, as complex as the American spirit it symbolizes. It's a sport, business- and sometimes even religion."
Ernie Harwell

smellody
Name: Christopher

Post by smellody » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:15 pm

Only looking for two:
Black Bay

spring-diver
Name: Shannon

Post by spring-diver » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:59 pm

Seiko's on the brain :excited:

Thanks to Drew's killer photos :cheers: Seiko SBDB005 SD Land Master :thumbsup:

Hopefully sometime in 2014 Seiko will release a "SBDB009" SD Tuna... W/O the golden TiNi coating.

Cheers
Shannon
Seiko: SBDB001, SBDX001, SRP777

Sinn: EZM9, T1, T1B, 836 & 857S

:cheers:

hazmatman
DWC Tribal Council
Name: Der Brummbär

Post by hazmatman » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:22 am

Here is where all my watch money is going for the foreseeable future...

Oh, and I do need a few of this... ;)

:roll:

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:37 am

hazmatman wrote:Here is where all my watch money is going for the foreseeable future...

As I new parent I can say with certainty that the cost of having children is overstated. I thought it would cost a fortune after listening to all my friends with children, but it hasn't been bad so far (my daughter is 4.5 months). Also, check with your insurance company. Ours provided that particular breast pump for free.

hazmatman
DWC Tribal Council
Name: Der Brummbär

Post by hazmatman » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:10 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
hazmatman wrote:Here is where all my watch money is going for the foreseeable future...

As I new parent I can say with certainty that the cost of having children is overstated. I thought it would cost a fortune after listening to all my friends with children, but it hasn't been bad so far (my daughter is 4.5 months). Also, check with your insurance company. Ours provided that particular breast pump for free.
Would they provide that tall brunette woman to walk around my house supplying the milk? The wife might like that...or not :lol:

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:22 am

hazmatman wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:

Would they provide that tall brunette woman to walk around my house supplying the milk? The wife might like that...or not :lol:
Judging by the looks of that one, I don't think she would yield much milk. Seriously though, check with insurance before you spend the $300-$500 on a pump.

rain_maker
Name: Fred

Post by rain_maker » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:00 pm

I think I'm changing my mind after looking back thru a few posts. Maybe this one...
(borrowed from Brice)

Or a Wu mod...

Damn you enablers!

lilhoody
Black Darin
Name: BD

Post by lilhoody » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:56 pm

One more for my list...a green Milguass. Sorry Barry, I'm glad I entertain.
"Men are ruled by toys"
Napoleon Bonaparte

koda240
Hot Legs!
Name: David

Post by koda240 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:59 pm

lilhoody wrote:One more for my list...a green Milguass. Sorry Barry, I'm glad I entertain.
YES! This one is high in my list. Never considered it until a buddy of mine got it and it's way cooler in person. Really stunning watch.

Dixan

Post by Dixan » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:33 am

koda240 wrote:
lilhoody wrote:One more for my list...a green Milguass. Sorry Barry, I'm glad I entertain.
YES! This one is high in my list. Never considered it until a buddy of mine got it and it's way cooler in person. Really stunning watch.
I never considered the Milgauss until my buddy's new knock-out wife stole his and strapped it on, halfway up her arm, when we were in Vegas. Suddenly, I took notice of it for the very first time. :lol:

giosdad

Post by giosdad » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:50 am

foodle wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:My wrist is under 6.5" (and not overly flat) so I think the U1 would either be too larger, or just barely OK.
At a wrist circumference less than 6.5", I'm going to say that the U1 is probably too big. It has a lug-to-lug dimension of 51mm. I believe the bracelet can go straight down, but it probably won't look that good (I have it on Sinn rubber, so I'm not 100% sure on this). I'm lucky to have relatively flat wrists, so despite the somewhat small circumference, I can pull off a 44-45mm watch depending on the case shape.

On the plus side, the EZM3 should be a good fit at 40mm. You might even take advantage of your smaller wrist and see if a U200 (37mm case) works.

I think you have to be comfortable with what you can wear to your to your own eye.

My wrist is 6.5 inches though I think it is "flat" and the 44mm Sinn's looks fine to me. The 51mm lug to lug is short for today's standards on a 44mm watch and the bracelet will come straight down.

Here are two 44mm variants

U1 W

UX

and the 18mm thick U1000S

Last edited by giosdad on Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards
Barry

giosdad

Post by giosdad » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:53 am

I love it.... :thumbsup:

Your continuing list and the Milgauss I got from the Master a few weeks ago. I just need to take some decent pictures of it.
Regards
Barry