Wrong Movements Installed in Unimatic U1?

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
Post Reply
User avatar
CGSshorty
Admin
Posts: 30982
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:18 pm
Location: Boynton Beach, FL

Wrong Movements Installed in Unimatic U1?

Post by CGSshorty » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:32 pm

Interesting video posted by Jake from Dagaz. I wonder if they are all like this.

"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

User avatar
manitoujoe
Posts: 3008
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:37 pm
Name: Mark
Location: Louisville, KY

Re: Wrong Movements Installed in Unimatic U1?

Post by manitoujoe » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:07 pm

Jesus. This would make me sick. Great catch.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Some people just have a way with words, and other people … oh … not have way.

Steve Martin

User avatar
manitoujoe
Posts: 3008
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:37 pm
Name: Mark
Location: Louisville, KY

Wrong Movements Installed in Unimatic U1?

Post by manitoujoe » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:07 pm

Dp
Some people just have a way with words, and other people … oh … not have way.

Steve Martin

User avatar
mfxr
Posts: 1562
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:19 am
Name: MattF
Location: Australia

Re: Wrong Movements Installed in Unimatic U1?

Post by mfxr » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:08 pm

Damn. That's interesting.
I haven't had any issues with the 3 models I have had (still have 1)
Makes me curious about having a look inside though.

I will interested to see what (if anything) Unimatic has to say about this.. :think:

User avatar
manitoujoe
Posts: 3008
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:37 pm
Name: Mark
Location: Louisville, KY

Re: Wrong Movements Installed in Unimatic U1?

Post by manitoujoe » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:30 pm

Yeah something is shady AF
Some people just have a way with words, and other people … oh … not have way.

Steve Martin

User avatar
manitoujoe
Posts: 3008
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:37 pm
Name: Mark
Location: Louisville, KY

Wrong Movements Installed in Unimatic U1?

Post by manitoujoe » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:30 pm

Dp AF
Last edited by manitoujoe on Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some people just have a way with words, and other people … oh … not have way.

Steve Martin

User avatar
mfxr
Posts: 1562
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:19 am
Name: MattF
Location: Australia

Re: Wrong Movements Installed in Unimatic U1?

Post by mfxr » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:50 pm

I will speculate:
They designed and prototyped the case/watch with the Miyota movement in mind.
For whatever reason (cost, availability, whatever) they had to go with the Seiko NH35. Obviously this caused fit issues with the case, and the easiest (not best) solution was to come up with that extra plastic spacer ring that seems to work ok for most of the watches.

The caseback 21800 bph typo was a minor but silly mistake to top it off (maybe born from the movement choice swap-over fiasco)

I am going to email Unimatic when I get a chance, see what they say.

I also just tagged them in the Dagaz Facebook post on the subject. :popcorn:

User avatar
Ryeguy
Posts: 3024
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:03 pm
Name: Chris
Location: Rye

Re: Wrong Movements Installed in Unimatic U1?

Post by Ryeguy » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:05 am

Well, based upon this I think we can conclude with some confidence that the watch really was made in Italy.

User avatar
Ryeguy
Posts: 3024
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:03 pm
Name: Chris
Location: Rye

Re: Wrong Movements Installed in Unimatic U1?

Post by Ryeguy » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:07 am

I wonder if the dial feet for a Seiko movement are the same as for the Miyota? I suspect not. I also suspect the hands are different due to differing pinion sizes.

If my suspicions are correct, this would mean Unimatic had the cases machined first, then their Miyota supplier flaked so they had to reverse engineer in the Seiko movement with a new dial and handset. It was probably a scramble and therefore that crap plastic spacer was used.

You might be able to swap in the Miyota movement aftermarket, and even use the Unimatic dial by clipping off the dial feet and using those little sticker things, but I think you'd have to swap in replacement Miyota hands.

It is weird that Jake says he will have to return this watch unfixed to his client. Just looking at his web store, it seems he has all the parts necessary to correct this situation.

User avatar
Ryeguy
Posts: 3024
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:03 pm
Name: Chris
Location: Rye

Re: Wrong Movements Installed in Unimatic U1?

Post by Ryeguy » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:08 am

PS- love the crying baby in the background just as the video starts. Too funny....

User avatar
ericf4
(TBD) Penis
Posts: 14651
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:04 am
Contact:

Re: Wrong Movements Installed in Unimatic U1?

Post by ericf4 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:13 am

Talk about sloppy ass watches....damn

User avatar
pbj204
Posts: 1415
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:47 am
Name: Paul
Location: New York

Re: Wrong Movements Installed in Unimatic U1?

Post by pbj204 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:13 am

Interesting video. Unimatic should be embarrassed.

AtomicTom
Nuclear Personality!!!!
Posts: 8840
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:59 am
Name: Tom

Re: Wrong Movements Installed in Unimatic U1?

Post by AtomicTom » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:22 am

Now that is weird Chris ! ..Definitely makes you wonder about all the rest of
the watches, but even other watches from tons of other brands over the years
sir. :? Really was a terrific find by Jake, and thank YOU for posting about it ! :thumbsup:

User avatar
tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>
Posts: 4525
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:03 pm
Name: Don

Re: Wrong Movements Installed in Unimatic U1?

Post by tattoo chef » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:37 am

Ryeguy wrote:I wonder if the dial feet for a Seiko movement are the same as for the Miyota? I suspect not. I also suspect the hands are different due to differing pinion sizes.

If my suspicions are correct, this would mean Unimatic had the cases machined first, then their Miyota supplier flaked so they had to reverse engineer in the Seiko movement with a new dial and handset. It was probably a scramble and therefore that crap plastic spacer was used.

You might be able to swap in the Miyota movement aftermarket, and even use the Unimatic dial by clipping off the dial feet and using those little sticker things, but I think you'd have to swap in replacement Miyota hands.

It is weird that Jake says he will have to return this watch unfixed to his client. Just looking at his web store, it seems he has all the parts necessary to correct this situation.
Maybe the client doesn’t want to pay for the repair as now it’s a little more complicated. Personally I would want my money back from the company as that is complete shit for a $700 watch.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User avatar
Axelay2003
Posts: 5249
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:03 am
Name: Gerard
Location: City of Oranges, FL

Re: Wrong Movements Installed in Unimatic U1?

Post by Axelay2003 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:23 am

Damn. This isn’t good. I have the white dial U1 DW still brand new from last year and was thinking of putting it up for sale.
It's a beautiful world! Gerald.
ImageImage

User avatar
Joeprez
Wants to see pics of your wife
Posts: 10493
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:36 am
Name: Joe
Location: Puerto Rico

Re: Wrong Movements Installed in Unimatic U1?

Post by Joeprez » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:28 am

Haven't been able to watch the video... what is the issue here, a plastic holder for the movement?
Image

Image

Omega / Rolex / Sinn / Oris / Seiko / Citizen / G Shock

User avatar
CGSshorty
Admin
Posts: 30982
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:18 pm
Location: Boynton Beach, FL

Re: Wrong Movements Installed in Unimatic U1?

Post by CGSshorty » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:48 am

Joeprez wrote:Haven't been able to watch the video... what is the issue here, a plastic holder for the movement?
The movement and holder are too small for the case, which appears to have been designed to accept a different movement. The whole assembly moves around inside the case when the crown is pulled.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

User avatar
Heuerville
Posts: 4691
Joined: Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:09 am
Name: Stewart
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Wrong Movements Installed in Unimatic U1?

Post by Heuerville » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:15 am

Wow, that's disgraceful.
Stewart - Heuerville & Heuerville Straps
http://heuerville.wordpress.com/heuerville-straps/
"SOB get me a drink"

User avatar
Ryeguy
Posts: 3024
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:03 pm
Name: Chris
Location: Rye

Re: Wrong Movements Installed in Unimatic U1?

Post by Ryeguy » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:17 am

tattoo chef wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:37 am
Ryeguy wrote:I wonder if the dial feet for a Seiko movement are the same as for the Miyota? I suspect not. I also suspect the hands are different due to differing pinion sizes.

If my suspicions are correct, this would mean Unimatic had the cases machined first, then their Miyota supplier flaked so they had to reverse engineer in the Seiko movement with a new dial and handset. It was probably a scramble and therefore that crap plastic spacer was used.

You might be able to swap in the Miyota movement aftermarket, and even use the Unimatic dial by clipping off the dial feet and using those little sticker things, but I think you'd have to swap in replacement Miyota hands.

It is weird that Jake says he will have to return this watch unfixed to his client. Just looking at his web store, it seems he has all the parts necessary to correct this situation.
Maybe the client doesn’t want to pay for the repair as now it’s a little more complicated. Personally I would want my money back from the company as that is complete shit for a $700 watch.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Absolutely for sure. If this were my watch new from Unimatic, it would never have gotten to Jake. It would've been on its way back to Italy for a refund as soon as I saw the dial swim around in the case.

Given the watch is with Jake, I'm guessing the watch is no longer returnable. This is why I thought about the possibility for a fix. Figure $60 for the movement, plus $30 for the handset, plus maybe $200 for the service to swap things over. I'm not certain how much an Unimatic costs, but I think for about $300 you could make it kinda "right" (except for the dial dots used to mount the dial - those are kind of ghetto).

User avatar
logan2z
IT Admin
Posts: 9946
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:08 am
Name: Andrew
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

Re: Wrong Movements Installed in Unimatic U1?

Post by logan2z » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:22 am

Micros :rolleyes:

User avatar
tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>
Posts: 4525
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:03 pm
Name: Don

Re: Wrong Movements Installed in Unimatic U1?

Post by tattoo chef » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:24 am

Ryeguy wrote:
Absolutely for sure. If this were my watch new from Unimatic, it would never have gotten to Jake. It would've been on its way back to Italy for a refund as soon as I saw the dial swim around in the case.

Given the watch is with Jake, I'm guessing the watch is no longer returnable. This is why I thought about the possibility for a fix. Figure $60 for the movement, plus $30 for the handset, plus maybe $200 for the service to swap things over. I'm not certain how much an Unimatic costs, but I think for about $300 you could make it kinda "right" (except for the dial dots used to mount the dial - those are kind of ghetto).
The Unimatic is $600 USD (more if you live in Europe and have to pay VAT), so $300 to “fix” what never should have been, now you’re $900 (or more) in for a pretty obscure microbrand.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
Ryeguy
Posts: 3024
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:03 pm
Name: Chris
Location: Rye

Re: Wrong Movements Installed in Unimatic U1?

Post by Ryeguy » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:25 am

A bit sad too as I think these are actually pretty decent looking watches.

User avatar
streetracer101
Posts: 8265
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:41 pm
Name: Mr Shackleford

Re: Wrong Movements Installed in Unimatic U1?

Post by streetracer101 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:27 am

Looks like Unimatic took a play out of the Crepas playbook.

User avatar
smalls
Posts: 5051
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:02 am
Name: Matt
Location: South Carolina

Re: Wrong Movements Installed in Unimatic U1?

Post by smalls » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:56 am

I know there are exceptions to the rule but this is why I generally stay away from micros.

User avatar
tmw
Posts: 2629
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:10 pm
Name: The Enabler
Location: Philly

Re: Wrong Movements Installed in Unimatic U1?

Post by tmw » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:05 pm

Wow. Just Wow.

that is going to be a shit show.
“To absent friends, lost loves, old gods, and the season of mists; and may each and every one of us always give the devil his due.”
― Neil Gaiman, The Sandman

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], ericf4, gwells, santamonica, shaneotool, Steve O. and 43 guests