Any 6139 owners here?

Discussion of Seiko watches
sierra11b
Name: Eric

Re: Any 6139 owners here?

Post by sierra11b » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:32 pm

toxicavenger wrote:If it was me I would send it to Duarte @ http://www.newatchworks.com/ or ABC watch werks. Spencer was almost a year behind on repairs last I checked.
You are correct on the wait.

I may have to give this some thought. I know the 6139 can by a finicky one... Do you know if those you mentioned have first hand experience, Terry? I know I could rely on ABC for most anything else but the 6139 service seems to be a niche market.
Last edited by sierra11b on Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sierra11b

Post by sierra11b » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:33 pm

BSears wrote:Nice! Was that per your WTB there or did you find one for sale?
WTB thread. I got two bites and the one prior to this was the box set I wasn't willing to consider.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:36 pm

sierra11b wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:If it was me I would send it to Duarte @ http://www.newatchworks.com/ or ABC watch werks. Spencer was almost a year behind on repairs last I checked.
You are correct on the wait.

I may have to give this some thought. I know the 6139 can by a finicky one... Do you know if those you mentioned have first hand experience, Terry? I know I could rely on ABC for most anything else but the 6139 service seems to be a niche market.
What do you need done to it? If it needs servicing then it would be ABC, IWW and then Spencer just because of wait times. Now just the crystal to be changed and new gaskets I would check with Duarte.

sierra11b

Post by sierra11b » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:48 pm

It's in good working order but running slow.

I know IWW no longer accepts Asian chronos so I may need to drop ABC an email to see what they say. Spencer gives the warm and fuzzy but because his wait times are so long, I'd be inclined to go with ABC if I knew they had the proper replacement parts. A year+ is a long time to wait but it wouldn't be the first for me and I do have some watches to keep me occupied in the meantime.

I've worked with ABC before and they seemed very meticulous in upfront quotes to give me the impression they would tell me upfront if they couldn't confidently service the 6139B.

sierra11b

Post by sierra11b » Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:09 pm

Watch came today and it's in great all original shape. Case is fat showing no signs of polish and everything works well. It is losing considerable time and needs a new crystal so I sent it off to John @ Time Essential today for a full service, new crystal, all new gaskets. Bezel insert is a bit off but I think that's because the bezel was bumped at some point as there's a tiny flat on the bezel's 9o'clock side.

John @ Pasadena seems legit in the vintage Seiko dept. and said he'd likely have it back to me within a month which is great and a LOT sooner than the others. Spencer was very helpful but man a year+ is a long time to wait with no real guarantees on time or a timeline. I'd be afraid of constant delays, him returning the watch due to massive back logs, me growing impatient with potential delays, or me simply loosing all interest and becoming resentful of the watch.

I may be taking a chance knowing the 6139 is a finicky and unique movement, but part of me thinks a lot of vintage Seiko enthusiasts make these older movements seem impossible to service but for the very small group of individuals they praise. I hope I'm not wrong but think it'll be alright knowing all functions of the watch are in good order and it just needs a good cleaning…

Also spoke with Stewart for a chestnut oiled rally strap for this one! :rock:
https://heuerville.wordpress.com/heuerv ... nut-oiled/

I'll post some pics when it comes back.
Last edited by sierra11b on Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kfalk
Old Chub
Name: Kelly

Post by kfalk » Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:17 pm

Cool, Eric. That gonna look killer on Stewart's strap.

sierra11b

Post by sierra11b » Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:36 pm

kfalk wrote:Cool, Eric. That gonna look killer on Stewart's strap.
Thanks, Kelly! I'm pretty excited about this one! :headbang:

Funny how going "backwards" in collecting can still be equally rewarding. Normally the 6139 is a gateway drug for this sick hobby of ours, but I find myself as excited as a $10K watch incoming.

I've always thought the Seiko fanboys were pretty smart in their collecting approach... Although I'd be hard pressed to part with my 116600 or the likes, there's something to be said about a solid collection of vintage Seikos which, for the most part anyway, won't break the bank compared to one or more BIG purchases.

That being said, you start to realize why most take-up amateur watch making as a hobby to reduce potential service overhead. It's pretty cool... Except when you consider most of these guys spare parts caches make the hobby economically unfeasible and downright greedy. :rolleyes: Maybe someday when I don't have a rambunctious 3yr old I'll roll-up my selves and give it a go! :think:

brianmcclure191
Name: brian

Post by brianmcclure191 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:54 am

Cannop wrote:I have one or two :)

appealing pieces...just wish to have one :mrgreen:

3cGT
Name: Rob

Post by 3cGT » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:50 am

Great colors in the Pogue

:cheers:

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:46 am

sierra11b wrote:Watch came today and it's in great all original shape. Case is fat showing no signs of polish and everything works well. It is losing considerable time and needs a new crystal so I sent it off to John @ Time Essential today for a full service, new crystal, all new gaskets. Bezel insert is a bit off but I think that's because the bezel was bumped at some point as there's a tiny flat on the bezel's 9o'clock side.

John @ Pasadena seems legit in the vintage Seiko dept. and said he'd likely have it back to me within a month which is great and a LOT sooner than the others. Spencer was very helpful but man a year+ is a long time to wait with no real guarantees on time or a timeline. I'd be afraid of constant delays, him returning the watch due to massive back logs, me growing impatient with potential delays, or me simply loosing all interest and becoming resentful of the watch.

I may be taking a chance knowing the 6139 is a finicky and unique movement, but part of me thinks a lot of vintage Seiko enthusiasts make these older movements seem impossible to service but for the very small group of individuals they praise. I hope I'm not wrong but think it'll be alright knowing all functions of the watch are in good order and it just needs a good cleaning…

John does good work and Cesar has been dealing with him for a while now. Let us know when you get it back.

sierra11b

Post by sierra11b » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:14 am

toxicavenger wrote:
sierra11b wrote:Watch came today and it's in great all original shape. Case is fat showing no signs of polish and everything works well. It is losing considerable time and needs a new crystal so I sent it off to John @ Time Essential today for a full service, new crystal, all new gaskets. Bezel insert is a bit off but I think that's because the bezel was bumped at some point as there's a tiny flat on the bezel's 9o'clock side.

John does good work and Cesar has been dealing with him for a while now. Let us know when you get it back.
Will do although it'll just be with spring bars when I get a pic but it should be very soon.

sierra11b

Post by sierra11b » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:27 am

Got it this morning and it's great! John @ Time essentials said it's keeping great time at -5 seconds a day with the chrono running.

Replaced the crystal (NOS which I provided), full service, replaced the gaskets which needed it, pressure test, and realigned the bezel. Only part needing replacing was the pallet fork. Said everything else is in great working order. I asked him not to touch the case as it was untouched and still has the proper brush strokes... couple small dings but totally livable. Not bad for just under two bills for a month turnaround.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:22 pm

sierra11b wrote:Got it this morning and it's great! John @ Time essentials said it's keeping great time at -5 seconds a day with the chrono running.

Replaced the crystal (NOS which I provided), full service, replaced the gaskets which needed it, pressure test, and realigned the bezel. Only part needing replacing was the pallet fork. Said everything else is in great working order. I asked him not to touch the case as it was untouched and still has the proper brush strokes... couple small dings but totally livable. Not bad for just under two bills for a month turnaround.
Nice :clap: :clap:

jswing
Founder, TDWC MM300 Fan Club
Name: Jeff

Post by jswing » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:00 pm

Excellent! And cheap for a chrono service.

sierra11b

Post by sierra11b » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:18 pm

Thanks fellas!

It really is a fun watch! Can't wait to get it on the chestnut Heureville... It's going to look sweet I can tell... Hopefully my SARB017 deployant works.

sierra11b

Post by sierra11b » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:07 pm

Having 6139 withdrawals...

A small hiccup prompted me to send it back and it should be back no later than Friday (I hope). Not an indication of Jon and his service, but more of an oversight he was happy to fix immediately.

Basically, when you run the chrono the register hand was catching the bottom of the hour hand ONLY when the register happened to be around the 5-7minute mark and the hour hand around 5 o'clock. Perfect storm situation in that I plan to keep the chrono running because of the clutch wheel.

340pd
Name: Patrick O'Malley

Post by 340pd » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:39 pm

unnamed.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Here lies the body of Mary McGee,
Died at the age of a hundred and three,
For fifteen years, she kept her virginity…...Not a bad record for this vicinity.
Capt. Quint.

franco60

Post by franco60 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:08 pm

Mines a 6139-6005 models. Love the bumps and bruises. I prefer 100% original over minty and questionable. I also have 2 original bracelets that fit to 7.25 inch wrists. They're getting few and far between.

BSears
The Grumpy Global Mod
Name: Mr. Dibs
Location: Big Blue Nation, Land of the Free-Home of the Brave

Post by BSears » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:25 am

Outstanding. :clap:

I dig the Pogue on a NATO. :think:
You give respect, you'll get respect - you just don't know your place.

Ramonv
Name: RamonV

Post by Ramonv » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:21 pm

Some around here

james80
Name: James

Post by james80 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:44 pm

Love a black dial 6139!

Ramonv
Name: RamonV

Post by Ramonv » Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:20 pm

BSears
The Grumpy Global Mod
Name: Mr. Dibs
Location: Big Blue Nation, Land of the Free-Home of the Brave

Post by BSears » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:06 am

Nice lineup and great pics, Ramon!
You give respect, you'll get respect - you just don't know your place.

james80
Name: James

Post by james80 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:39 pm

Nice!!!