Any 6139 owners here?

Discussion of Seiko watches
sierra11b
Name: Eric

Any 6139 owners here?

Post by sierra11b » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:20 pm

Every once in awhile I start looking at Pogues being a longtime aviation and space buff but something always comes first.

My friend has one in decent shape and it's a damn cool watch (bracelet is meh), but I am always reluctant on longevity/service, and the very real possibility of frankens. Nice ones typically sell faster than I can brush-up on what collectors look for. :rolleyes:

Anyone got one they're looking to part with or where to look? :o

At any rate, I'd love to see what everyone here has... :cheers:

jswing
Founder, TDWC MM300 Fan Club
Name: Jeff

Re: Any 6139 owners here?

Post by jswing » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:55 am

I had one very briefly. Briefly because I sold it off to a friend to buy something else.. The one I bought was all original and had just been serviced by one of the top Seiko guys, so I was comfortable buying it. After researching, it really wasn't too hard to tell the real ones from the frankens. Here's a good guide:

http://www.thewatchsite.com/12-referenc ... guide.html

jln319
Name: -jeff

Post by jln319 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:55 am

Like you, I've been looking at these for a long time. I never seem to buy one. Maybe because I realize I would probably not wear it and it would end up in the collection box... When I was in the AF back in the early 70's I was stationed in God forsaken North Dakota. The yellow faced 6139 was all the rage with the guys in my shop. Seemed everyone but me had one. Some guys bought them in SEA but the BX usually had them. I went to buy one but ended up with a 6117 navigator. I think it was around 65 bucks. I still have it. Right before I left ND I went back to the BX to buy a 6139 and ended up with a 6105. Don't know why but some strange power keeps me from buying one...
Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right. Henry Ford.

sierra11b

Post by sierra11b » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:08 am

jln319 wrote:Like you, I've been looking at these for a long time. I never seem to buy one. Maybe because I realize I would probably not wear it and it would end up in the collection box...
Maybe so.

It would be hard for a 6139-6002 to win on wrist time these days but if the price was right on an original example, I'd likely give it a shot.

T.R.
TRTV!
Name: Tommy Tutone

Post by T.R. » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:33 am

Shit. This watch is super fun to wear. Tough little bastard, too. I'm not a big chrono guy; my gig is dive watches. However, I do dig the hell out of this watch. (Seiko nut) This is one is dated 1974 as per the case back. It reads "Water Resist" on the dial making it an earlier model, but not one of the first. The first models had a notch in the case above the crown. The bracelet is a bit more "rare" than the H link as normally seen. Great bracelet if you like vintage.

Cool functions as it relates to:
Inner dive bezel
Day/Date
And... the way you set the day itself. I had to google it to figure it out after I received it.
I dig the applied indices and the applied surrounds.

Last edited by T.R. on Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
unixshrk wrote: I'll put it on a nice NATO for you. :shifty:

DaveT
Name: Dave

Post by DaveT » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:05 pm

Eric,

I have to agree with what TR said about the watch being fun to wear, I really enjoy it and it has some very cool features for a watch made almost 40 years ago.

I always wanted one too and shared your concerns about picking up a "franken" version, I dont know enough about them to spot one so I just let Jeff buy it and then grabbed it from him when he sold it :lol:

No issues for me with the size (my wrist is 7.25)

I have the tapered H link bracelet and it has all the links from what I understand so no problem with the fit and i still have a couple of adjustment holes available on the clasp just in case I pork up :)

The lume is weak, there are a few scratches on the crystal and couple of dings on the case but its running great and I really enjoy wearing it.

Good luck with your hunt!
Last edited by DaveT on Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave

"Long you live and high you fly and smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry and all you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be"

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Post by BBK357 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:21 pm

T.R. wrote:Shit. This watch is super fun to wear. Tough little bastard, too. I'm not a big chrono guy; my gig is dive watches. However, I do dig the hell out of this watch. (Seiko nut) This is one of the original models as denoted by the "Water Resist" printed on the dial. The bracelet is a bit more "rare" than the H link as normally seen. Great bracelet if you like vintage.

Inner dive bezel
Day/Date
And... the way you set the day itself. I had to google it to figure it out after I received it.

:hump:
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

jswing

Post by jswing » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:51 pm

DaveT wrote:Eric,

I have to agree with what TR said about the watch being fun to wear, I really enjoy it and it has some very cool features for a watch made almost 40 years ago.

I always wanted too and shared your concerns about picking up a "franken" version, I dont know enough about them to spot one so I just let Jeff buy it and then grabbed it from him when he sold it :lol:

No issues for me with the size (my wrist is 7.25)

I have the tapered H link bracelet and it has all the links from what I understand so no problem with the fit and i still have a couple of adjustment holes available on the clasp just in case I pork up :)

The lume is weak, there are a few scratches on the crystal and couple of dings on the case but its running great and I really enjoy wearing it.

Good luck with your hunt!
Why is there always the assumption that I'll sell my watches? :shrug: :lol:

CesarG
Mexican
Name: Cesar

Post by CesarG » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:25 pm

BBK357 wrote:
T.R. wrote:Shit. This watch is super fun to wear. Tough little bastard, too. I'm not a big chrono guy; my gig is dive watches. However, I do dig the hell out of this watch. (Seiko nut) This is one of the original models as denoted by the "Water Resist" printed on the dial. The bracelet is a bit more "rare" than the H link as normally seen. Great bracelet if you like vintage.

Inner dive bezel
Day/Date

jln319

Post by jln319 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:36 pm

Damn, you guys have some great looking 6139's. When I do look at them I never find any in that shape...

jswing

Post by jswing » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:42 pm

CesarG wrote:
BBK357 wrote:

Inner dive bezel
Day/Date

That's disturbing.

BBK357
Ban Jacobs

Post by BBK357 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:01 pm

CesarG wrote:
BBK357 wrote:

Inner dive bezel
Day/Date

Don't get me started on the ones I wish I kept
DEATH FROM ABOVE

JDC222
Demander of Intro Threads
Name: Dave

Post by JDC222 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:44 pm

This was mine...cool watch!

Whisky has killed more men than bullets, but most men would rather be full of whisky than bullets.
Winston Churchill.

sierra11b

Post by sierra11b » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:47 pm

T.R. wrote: Image
Love that ad.

BSears
The Grumpy Global Mod
Name: Mr. Dibs
Location: Big Blue Nation, Land of the Free-Home of the Brave

Post by BSears » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:08 am

Had this one a while. Got it off the bay. It was beat all to hell. Crystal was the worst. I didn't realize it was acrylic. I got a replacement (Seiko glass actually) from a guy in Australia. After holding it for another 2 years I finally sent it to Jay (I think that's right) and had him install it and refinish the case ever so slightly. Satisfied with the results and don't wear this enough. Great watch. I was amazed how well the dial looked with a new crystal installed! I'll post up before pics later. Here's one from today.

You give respect, you'll get respect - you just don't know your place.

Cannop
Name: Duncan

Post by Cannop » Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:54 am

I have one or two :)

sierra11b

Post by sierra11b » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:28 am

Wow those look great! Any reason one pogue has a significantly darker dial than the other?

BSears
The Grumpy Global Mod

Post by BSears » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:39 pm

Cannop wrote:I have one or two :)

Dude killer first post! Love those Pogues. Lucky as shit to have 2 of those. ;) welcome to DWC. Feel free to post up more.

BSears
The Grumpy Global Mod

Post by BSears » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:02 pm

Can't leave out my Pogue. This one carries significance for a lot of reasons for me personally and is one I will not sell, except to the previous owner ;)

BBK357
Ban Jacobs

Post by BBK357 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:54 pm

BSears wrote:Can't leave out my Pogue. This one carries significance for a lot of reasons for me personally and is one I will not sell, except to the previous owner ;)

I'll take it
[SMIRKING FACE]
DEATH FROM ABOVE

jln319

Post by jln319 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:15 pm

Shit, now you guys have me wanting one again...

sierra11b

Post by sierra11b » Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:10 pm

BSears wrote:Can't leave out my Pogue. This one carries significance for a lot of reasons for me personally and is one I will not sell, except to the previous owner ;)

What a looker! I can see why you wouldn't want to sell.

T.R.
TRTV!
Name: Tommy Tutone

Post by T.R. » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:27 pm

Cannop wrote:I have one or two :)

Shit man... I am glad I looked back at this thread. Sweet photo. Love that silver dialed model. #gottahaveonenow

:thumbsup: :cheers:
unixshrk wrote: I'll put it on a nice NATO for you. :shifty:

BSears
The Grumpy Global Mod

Post by BSears » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:34 pm

You rarely see those silver dialed version come up for sale. At least I haven't. Not in a long time. :think:

jeckyll
Honorary Assistant Jr. Hall Monitor in Training
Name: Björn

Post by jeckyll » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:51 pm

BSears wrote:You rarely see those silver dialed version come up for sale. At least I haven't. Not in a long time. :think:
You should sell me one of yours and hunt down a silver one ;)
We all have the same enemy. The enemy is the tyranny of the dull mind. - - Tom Robbins