Non-functional HEV

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
Panerai7
Name: Art

Re: Non-functional HEV

Post by Panerai7 » Thu May 22, 2014 8:36 am

When the time comes for my DSSD to be serviced I'm sending it to Rolex.
This is exhausting :)

demer03
Current Forecast: Vintage Doxa
Name: Mike

Post by demer03 » Thu May 22, 2014 8:37 am

JP Chestnut wrote:Off topic: on my last visit to his shop I took a look at some of the watches he recently polished and I was shocked at how good they looked given that he doesn't have a lapping machine. He's extremely talented.
Dom does extremely good work. I've had 5 or 6 watches done by him and I am very satisfied. Expensive....but you get what you pay for.

If Jack @ IWW could double his output I'd be exclusive to him at the quality of work to cost ratio.
Old Michigan steams like a young man's dreams
The islands and bays are for sportsmen

Torrid
Name: Heath

Post by Torrid » Thu May 22, 2014 8:49 am

I think the only answer here is wear an SKX007 and throw out the old one and buy a new one every five years. :lol:

foodle

Post by foodle » Thu May 22, 2014 8:54 am

Torrid wrote:I think the only answer here is wear an SKX007 and throw out the old one and buy a new one every five years. :lol:
That's actually a pretty decent plan :thumbsup:

FlyPenFly
Name: Off, Jerk

Post by FlyPenFly » Thu May 22, 2014 11:22 am

I believe Bremont actually does batch testing. But not 100% sure on that.

I do recall that Bremont S500 cases really fail around 2000m in testers.

BSears
The Grumpy Global Mod
Name: Mr. Dibs
Location: Big Blue Nation, Land of the Free-Home of the Brave

Post by BSears » Thu May 22, 2014 3:07 pm

demer03 wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:Off topic: on my last visit to his shop I took a look at some of the watches he recently polished and I was shocked at how good they looked given that he doesn't have a lapping machine. He's extremely talented.
Dom does extremely good work. I've had 5 or 6 watches done by him and I am very satisfied. Expensive....but you get what you pay for.

If Jack @ IWW could double his output I'd be exclusive to him at the quality of work to cost ratio.
Ever since Dom serviced my father in law's Rolex DJ last year (damn that watch looked brand new when it came back) he has been and will be my go-to guy for servicing anything above a standard ETA or vintage Seiko. I sent him my Omega Bond a while back and that thing runs like a champ and keeps impeccable time. Good communication too. Mike, thanks for recommending him!
You give respect, you'll get respect - you just don't know your place.

demer03
Current Forecast: Vintage Doxa
Name: Mike

Post by demer03 » Thu May 22, 2014 3:56 pm

Cool Brad! He's a nice guy too.
Old Michigan steams like a young man's dreams
The islands and bays are for sportsmen

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Thu May 22, 2014 4:13 pm

I know Edvi at ABC Watch Works pressure tested my watch and a U1 I sent to them.

Jack @IWW has pressure tested a ton of watches for me including a Rolex E2. I really don't care as long as they pass a 30m test.

jeckyll
Honorary Assistant Jr. Hall Monitor in Training
Name: Björn

Post by jeckyll » Thu May 22, 2014 4:51 pm

Jcp311 wrote:Are HEV's useless? Mostly...I've seen blog posts here and there about mixed gas surface diving becoming more "popular." I doubt however that even among rec divers it will ever become a thing.

That said if a dive watch micro or not has an HEV it should work.
hoppyjr wrote:I agree, if a watch has a valve it ought to work.

I'd think mixed gas diving wouldn't require the use of an HEV, unless the diver was really deep and spending time in a bell - but I'm no expert.

Diving with He mixes doesn't necessitate using a watch with an HEV, but a bell does. Guys I know diving He mixes complete their deco before leaving the water (none wear dive watches ;) ).

Commercial diving is a different story.
We all have the same enemy. The enemy is the tyranny of the dull mind. - - Tom Robbins

scurfa
Name: Paul

Post by scurfa » Fri May 23, 2014 2:12 pm

Panerai7 wrote:When the time comes for my DSSD to be serviced I'm sending it to Rolex.
This is exhausting :)
you send you DSSD to rolex and they send it to comex nuclear for testing! So I'm led to believe!

namor
Name: Seth

Post by namor » Wed May 28, 2014 1:27 pm

from A Blog to Watch:

Dive watches receive a separate treatment all together. After being air pressure tested, Rolex proceeds to test the water resistance of each and every Rolex Submariner and Deep Sea watch in actual water. This type of test is much less common. Submariner watches are placed in large tubes that are filled with water to ensure that they are water resistant to 300 meters. The test is extremely complex because Rolex employs a complex system for testing if water entered the case.

After the watches exit the tank, they are heated up and a drop of cold water is placed on the crystal to see if condensation forms. An optical sensor then scans them for trace amounts of water. Less than one in a thousand watches fail the test. The story is much more intense for Deep-Sea watches. Rolex co-developed a special high-pressure water tank with COMEX to depth test each Deep-Sea watch. The pressure tank looks like something from a science fiction movie. Imagine something that looks like a several ton Gatling gun. This machine takes well over an hour and measures each watch to a pressure equivalent to 12,000 meters deep.
www.usmcscoutsniper.org - Life Member
“Qualified to deport with denizens of the deep, mermaids, and other inhabitants of the realm of Neptune.”

Panerai7
Name: Art

Post by Panerai7 » Wed May 28, 2014 1:41 pm

That's right, DSSD FTMFW!

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Post by BBK357 » Wed May 28, 2014 5:47 pm

namor wrote:from A Blog to Watch:

Dive watches receive a separate treatment all together. After being air pressure tested, Rolex proceeds to test the water resistance of each and every Rolex Submariner and Deep Sea watch in actual water. This type of test is much less common. Submariner watches are placed in large tubes that are filled with water to ensure that they are water resistant to 300 meters. The test is extremely complex because Rolex employs a complex system for testing if water entered the case.

After the watches exit the tank, they are heated up and a drop of cold water is placed on the crystal to see if condensation forms. An optical sensor then scans them for trace amounts of water. Less than one in a thousand watches fail the test. The story is much more intense for Deep-Sea watches. Rolex co-developed a special high-pressure water tank with COMEX to depth test each Deep-Sea watch. The pressure tank looks like something from a science fiction movie. Imagine something that looks like a several ton Gatling gun. This machine takes well over an hour and measures each watch to a pressure equivalent to 12,000 meters deep.
Wow this is really cool.
This is why I like Rolex.
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak: