Name: HeadDIK

Re: Caution on this eBay Kobold

Post by toxicavenger » Tue May 07, 2013 6:00 am

demer03 wrote:
zepp21 wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:
demer03 wrote:
zepp21 wrote:
demer03 wrote:Hey, it's hand crafted Sherpa goodness....

(Trying here, fellas)
Try again. No excuse for this...even from a Chinese made Doxa :banplz:
Look at the sig, baby....pure Swiss history.
I don't think he said that directly to you. :thumbsup: You are just use to the banter I think. :think: :bananastoner:
:thumbsup:
It's just fun to bitch-slap the kid once and a while :grin:

Besides, that's been long debunked, but dipshits (others, not you) keep perpetuating it....including putting it in their signatures.
hey :scratch: I thought I was one of the head "dipshits" :shrug:

zepp21
Name: Alex

Post by zepp21 » Tue May 07, 2013 6:03 am

demer03 wrote:
zepp21 wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:
demer03 wrote:
zepp21 wrote:
demer03 wrote:Hey, it's hand crafted Sherpa goodness....

(Trying here, fellas)
Try again. No excuse for this...even from a Chinese made Doxa :banplz:
Look at the sig, baby....pure Swiss history.
I don't think he said that directly to you. :thumbsup: You are just use to the banter I think. :think: :bananastoner:
:thumbsup:
It's just fun to bitch-slap the kid once and a while :grin:

Besides, that's been long debunked, but dipshits (others, not you) keep perpetuating it....including putting it in their signatures.
Hey Gramps, can you put your teeth in and say it again? Couldn't understand ya.

demer03
Current Forecast: Vintage Doxa
Name: Mike

Post by demer03 » Tue May 07, 2013 6:07 am

And no Terry....there is one thing busting each others balls like you do, but it's another for some of these haters who vehemently spout BS for some unknown reason....keyboard Ninja's I suspect. They think they are some kind of moral "watch police"...who knows.
Old Michigan steams like a young man's dreams
The islands and bays are for sportsmen

Fitz
Name: John

Post by Fitz » Tue May 07, 2013 6:11 am

Wow, this makes me appreciate the attention that went into my SAS and Korsbek. Hopefully they stay the course and don't circle down the drain like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rolex/ Seiko/ Marathon/ Bathys/ G-Shock

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Tue May 07, 2013 6:17 am

streetracer101 wrote:
kfalk wrote:Wow. That is simply atrocious. Wonder why the original purchaser didn't send it straight back to Kobold? Should have never made it through the Invicta-esque QC.
ironically, he picked it up in person and said he didn't notice anything wrong with it :shrug:
to be an ignorant watch buyer again..would save me lots of headaches
I'm wondering if this is BS. Guy paid full pricer retail for a watch just to turn around and try to sell it 3 weeks later at a significant discount? Maybe he got flack from Kobold's CS and just decided to try and cut his losses. Either way, inexcusable for him not to list these issues on the resale.

Also, the lug hole in one of the pictures looks damaged (oval shaped). Is that accurate? Caused by the warped spring bar or already like that?

Too bad. Would love to see some more quality watches coming from American companies. Based on this admittedly small sample size, seems like Kobold has slipped mightily from what it once was.

Seth
Guy who shoots guns

Post by Seth » Tue May 07, 2013 6:20 am

I'm not one to defend Mike, but I wonder if this is the whole story. I get the sense that this is the whole story. The bracelet clearly isn't original.... Or doesn't look like anything I've ever seen come out of their shop.

I'm betting this is something somebody hacked together.

t20569cald
Founder and Owner of Ægir Instruments

Post by t20569cald » Tue May 07, 2013 6:25 am

Seth wrote:I'm not one to defend Mike, but I wonder if this is the whole story. I get the sense that this is the whole story. The bracelet clearly isn't original.... Or doesn't look like anything I've ever seen come out of their shop.

Don't suppose you or anyone knows what bezel internals they use?
I have a feeling that was an easy fix, as I have had the issue myself with the Fricker internal design.

The rest, not so much
Rome wasn't built in a day, but i wasn't on that job!

http://www.aegirinstruments.com

jswing
Founder, TDWC MM300 Fan Club
Name: Jeff

Post by jswing » Tue May 07, 2013 6:25 am

I have to say I really liked Kobolds. Until I got one. It was a mess. Seemed like it was a Frankenwatch pieced together from mismatched parts. Bezel problems, finish issues, tons of dust under the crystal, crown issues, mismatched lume. just everything about it sucked. I had to return it. I told myself it must be an isolated incident, but now I'm not so sure.

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Tue May 07, 2013 6:34 am

Seth wrote:I'm not one to defend Mike, but I wonder if this is the whole story. I get the sense that this is the whole story. The bracelet clearly isn't original.... Or doesn't look like anything I've ever seen come out of their shop.

There may be more to the story, but that is definitely the new Kobold bracelet.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

streetracer101
Name: Mr Shackleford

Post by streetracer101 » Tue May 07, 2013 6:43 am

Seth,
Kobold came out with new bracelets earlier this year. They now have 3 flavors of bracelet to chose from. The bracelets, like the cases, are made in house.
The watch came with an invoice for $4000. He received the standard 15-20% discount.
As for the bezel, if it was an isolated instance it would've been no big deal. But, like in Ed's case, the sum of little issues amounted to a bigger issue.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Tue May 07, 2013 6:58 am

hell if the cases and bracelet's are all made in house then his house must be leaning some

craniotes
Thread Pooper
Name: Ad Rock

Post by craniotes » Tue May 07, 2013 7:06 am

Jeep99dad wrote:Wow. I had a seal and the inverted triangle was tilted to one side! :(
That was a mistake on Fricker's part in the first batch of SEALs, and all the bezels were replaced under warranty when a second batch was milled.

As for the watch in the original post, that bracelet looks off to me. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the SMG-1 come with the standard 5-link Fricker bracelet? Seems to me that the seller tried to fit a round peg in a square hole, here. Now, the bezel... That's easily remedied, so I'm not sure that I'd rake Kobold over the coals for that, particularly when you have no idea how the watch was treated prior to delivery. Same goes for the crown, which was probably stripped.

Regards,
Adam

EDIT: I see now that Kobold is pushing an Oyster-type bracelet. If this is indeed OEM, well... Damn. Not cool, Mike.
CAPT. THREAD POOPER

drster
Name: mark

Post by drster » Tue May 07, 2013 7:22 am

Kobold has never been very good at QC imo. They have used various suppliers for parts. Sloppy bezels and ones that don't line up are more the norm from what I've seen. And I've probably sold 15 to 20. All those little problems except the crown could be fixed with a little sanding stick and bezel adjustment. Shouldn't come like that but if the price is right ...

unixshrk
This. Truth.
Name: Chris

Post by unixshrk » Tue May 07, 2013 7:39 am

He must have seen you guys talking about it, or someone made an offer on it.
He ended the listing.

streetracer101
Name: Mr Shackleford

Post by streetracer101 » Tue May 07, 2013 7:46 am

unixshrk wrote:He must have seen you guys talking about it, or someone made an offer on it.
He ended the listing.
He offered to have it repaired when I sent it back.
I decided (as you already knew Chris) that I'd be disappointed regardless of the outcome.
When I returned it, I told him if he fixed the issues he could probably get $3000-3500 for it.
It baffled me that he didn't fix the issues when he said he lived 1 mile from kobold and could have it refinished to new condition, but just chose to relist it.

unixshrk
This. Truth.
Name: Chris

Post by unixshrk » Tue May 07, 2013 7:55 am

streetracer101 wrote:
unixshrk wrote:He must have seen you guys talking about it, or someone made an offer on it.
He ended the listing.
He offered to have it repaired when I sent it back.
I decided (as you already knew Chris) that I'd be disappointed regardless of the outcome.
When I returned it, I told him if he fixed the issues he could probably get $3000-3500 for it.
It baffled me that he didn't fix the issues when he said he lived 1 mile from kobold and could have it refinished to new condition, but just chose to relist it.

Yes, full agreement.

He ended it this morning again. A reseller probably bought it.

GGD

Post by GGD » Tue May 07, 2013 8:02 am

That's disappointing on the sellers behalf.... thanks for the heads-up because I had my eye on that one.

Never had a single QC or CS issue with KWC and my AD TAC still rocks despite my best attempts to treat it with absolutely no respect for it's welfare :grin:

T.R.
TRTV!
Name: Tommy Tutone

Post by T.R. » Tue May 07, 2013 8:15 am

The Kobold website makes me want to :scream:

Just went there and could not find a pic or an offering of the new oyster bracelet as pictured and as Adam noted. Could not find a pic of the SMG 1, but did find their listing of the SMG X. The SMG X noted a 5 year warranty on all defects, thus this watch should be returned directly to Kobold to have each and every issue addressed. If the original buyer who bought this watch in 2013, as per the ebay listing, cannot tend to this then we know he f'd up something trying to fit something on the watch that did not fit, etc.

I do love my Seal. It's an awesome watch and keeps superb time. It is likely one of my favorite watches. But I find it very odd how many folks have absolutely no issues, yet others have very serious issues upon receiving their watches like my friend Jeff Swing. I know he was fired up to get his watch and he could not send it back fast enough.

Thank you for the original post. Good thread here.

I hope you find another more suitable Kobold watch.

:cheers:
unixshrk wrote: I'll put it on a nice NATO for you. :shifty:

Axelay2003
Name: Gerard

Post by Axelay2003 » Tue May 07, 2013 10:43 am

That was some BS right there. I'm glad you got your money back.
It's a beautiful world! Gerald.

Seth
Guy who shoots guns

Post by Seth » Tue May 07, 2013 10:46 am

Wow. Well........... No fucking excuse.

Vern
Name: Vern

Post by Vern » Tue May 07, 2013 9:25 pm

I had good luck with my SOA, an Arctic Diver, and my current AD destro. It's odd to me that someone doesn't handle the watches in the house before they leave and catch these problems. These aren't minor, nit picky details. Seems weird.
Sinn UX
Korsbek Ocean Explorer
Kobold AD (fully polished)
Ball Spacemaster X-lume
DWP (14 nib, 85 worn by g/f)
Eterna KonTiki Diver
UTS 2000m Pacific Horizon Blue
Seiko Kinetic
Seiko Tuna
Sinn UX GSG9
Orient OS300 White face

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Tue May 07, 2013 9:57 pm

Vern wrote:....... It's odd to me that someone doesn't handle the watches in the house before they leave and catch these problems. These aren't minor, nit picky details. Seems weird.
I agree, apparently there is ZERO quality control. The AD I owned a few years ago was fine, so this appears to be a recent change.

Sent using Tapatalk

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Tue May 07, 2013 10:16 pm

The 3 old models (SOA, AD, Seal) I had were nice as well.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Wed May 08, 2013 5:04 am

I think before they said something along the lines that if their QC guy is out of town then sometimes a watch doesn't get looked at.

marchone
Capt. Obvious
Name: Wayne

Post by marchone » Wed May 08, 2013 7:51 am

toxicavenger wrote:I think before they said something along the lines that if their QC guy is out of town then sometimes a watch doesn't get looked at.
That's insane at any price point much less what MK charges. I haven't so far and will likely never risk it. The stories are legion. There are too many reputable manufactures out there to throw caution to the wind.
only accurate watches are interesting