Aquastar!!

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
PGERRITY
Name: Pat

Re: Aquastar!!

Post by PGERRITY » Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:24 am

I love this, but just like the Doxa T-Graph reissue it’s way over priced for me. Super frustrating. And on their site the movement is listed as a “high end Swiss manufacture caliber...”. Ok so what’s the movement? And that much on a strap? I’m not crazy about the trend of $3k-$4k being the new spot for reissues. Maybe I’m wrong, I just don’t see the value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>
Name: Don

Post by tattoo chef » Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:00 am

PGERRITY wrote:I love this, but just like the Doxa T-Graph reissue it’s way over priced for me. Super frustrating. And on their site the movement is listed as a “high end Swiss manufacture caliber...”. Ok so what’s the movement? And that much on a strap? I’m not crazy about the trend of $3k-$4k being the new spot for reissues. Maybe I’m wrong, I just don’t see the value.

Its tricky. Set the price too low, then it will be hard to raise it later.
Set it too high, and people may not buy.

Also it lists the movement as -

“Swiss Manufacture automatic movement, custom manufactured for the Deepstar by La Joux-Perret”

SoCal C4S
Name: RJ

Post by SoCal C4S » Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:39 am

I got the pre-buy email, looked it over, and said no when I saw the price. Might get one when they start to pop up after they start shipping, but my guess is these end up in the $1800 range on the gray market.

dinexus
Name: Zach

Post by dinexus » Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:57 pm

PGERRITY wrote:I love this, but just like the Doxa T-Graph reissue it’s way over priced for me. Super frustrating. And on their site the movement is listed as a “high end Swiss manufacture caliber...”. Ok so what’s the movement? And that much on a strap? I’m not crazy about the trend of $3k-$4k being the new spot for reissues. Maybe I’m wrong, I just don’t see the value.

It’s a La Joux-Perret movement, apparently custom for this reference. Lotta folks are keen to see the movement tho, and I’m one of them. Pretty great choice for this watch though, I think. Neat upgrade from a Valijoux.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:27 pm

the price is crazy for a new brand/rebirth. i hope they have better service than doxa.

ugly watch. but it might rock in person.
Last edited by toxicavenger on Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:28 pm

dinexus wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:57 pm

It’s a La Joux-Perret movement, apparently custom for this reference. Lotta folks are keen to see the movement tho, and I’m one of them. Pretty great choice for this watch though, I think. Neat upgrade from a Valijoux.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
isn't it a modded 7750? :scratch:

aikiman44
Tiki Extraordinaire
Name: J

Post by aikiman44 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:38 am

“ Speaking of that self-winding movement, Aquastar turned to Swiss manufacture, LaJoux-Perret for a column wheel bi-compax chronograph motor that boasts 55 hours of power reserve, bi-directional winding and, thankfully, no ghost date position to its crown. It is a worthy movement for such an iconic re-issue, and its pusher action during chronograph use is predictably smooth and responsive. Timekeeping is impressive too. The example I wore only needed resetting once after daily wear for over two months. The movement is modestly decorated and finished with a skeletonized rotor sporting the famous star logo of Aquastar.”
"We'd better synchronize our watches."

PGERRITY
Name: Pat

Post by PGERRITY » Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:50 am

aikiman44 wrote:“ Speaking of that self-winding movement, Aquastar turned to Swiss manufacture, LaJoux-Perret for a column wheel bi-compax chronograph motor that boasts 55 hours of power reserve, bi-directional winding and, thankfully, no ghost date position to its crown. It is a worthy movement for such an iconic re-issue, and its pusher action during chronograph use is predictably smooth and responsive. Timekeeping is impressive too. The example I wore only needed resetting once after daily wear for over two months. The movement is modestly decorated and finished with a skeletonized rotor sporting the famous star logo of Aquastar.”
Nice! Thanks ImageImage

dukerules

Post by dukerules » Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:58 am

Don't love the looks of this one, but that movement is intriguing. Hard to find column wheel chronos in this price range.

demer03
Current Forecast: Vintage Doxa
Name: Mike

Post by demer03 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:08 am

toxicavenger wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:27 pm
the price is crazy for a new brand/rebirth. i hope they have better service than doxa.

ugly watch. but it might rock in person.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. It’s true to the original and I think it’s gorgeous. There’s something for everyone out there.
Old Michigan steams like a young man's dreams
The islands and bays are for sportsmen

kempoman

Post by kempoman » Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:04 pm

It's also high time for Aquadive to launch dive chrono. BS500 is a good wearable size if they ever planned one.
Watch collector since 1989

Ronbo710
Name: Ronald Edward Harris

Post by Ronbo710 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:43 pm

ImageJust got my original 1000M "Big Ben" back from servicing yesterday. They no longer make the parts for the one hour timer but it keeps time like my SD :)

aikiman44
Tiki Extraordinaire
Name: J

Post by aikiman44 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:49 pm

That is one cool Aquastar.
"We'd better synchronize our watches."

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:54 pm

Ronbo710 wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:43 pm
ImageJust got my original 1000M "Big Ben" back from servicing yesterday. They no longer make the parts for the one hour timer but it keeps time like my SD :)
the timer on them suck and are a absolute bitch to get right. :banghead:

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:30 am

toxicavenger wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:54 pm
Ronbo710 wrote:
Mine worked perfect all depends who works on it. Mine worked perfect after I got it serviced.

DEMO

Post by DEMO » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:52 am

Ronbo710 wrote:
If they ever remake the Benthos I would be in in a heartbeat.

tmw
Name: The Enabler

Post by tmw » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:01 am

Why do I keep thinking of ordering the aquastar?

I am sure the new benthos will be coming. The challenge is the movement, but sinn basically did similar with the EZM1 and others that yse the centerhand chrono. The new benthos is what I really want - as didnt want to deal with the vintage.

Its only a matter of time, and will be expensive, which will be no suprise.
Stan, don’t you know the first law of physics? Anything that’s fun costs at least eight dollars”
-- Eric Cartman

“To absent friends, lost loves, old gods, and the season of mists; and may each and every one of us always give the devil his due.”
― Neil Gaiman, The Sandman

I bought a cheap watch from a crazy man
Floating down canal
It doesn't use numbers or moving hands
It always just says now
Now you may be thinking that I was had
But this watch is never wrong
And If I have trouble the warranty said
Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On

- Jimmy Buffett

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:08 am

River Rat wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:30 am
toxicavenger wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:54 pm
Ronbo710 wrote:
Mine worked perfect all depends who works on it. Mine worked perfect after I got it serviced.
but when there is a problem with them you can't get parts to fix them.

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:33 am

Some times like the case of the Glycine airman and the hacking wire a watchmaker weak in there skill screws up the parts and no replacement parts. The timer in these are a little different than a chronograph but I bet what happens with the Airman happens to the Benthos. Why I send certain vintage watches for service to different watchmakers due to there skill and knowledge to certain brands. Like the Airman to Nevada Watch repair some to Jack and some military chronographs and vintage issued watches to Classicwatch since he specializes in them. Each watchmaker good for certain watches. Like Nevada watch repair had the hacking wire parts made for replacement parts he brought my Airman hacking wire back to life. Some times you learn the hard way like my Hanhart 417 I sent it for service to a guy who specializes in vintage Heuer chronographs it worked fine for a while then one of the pushers got stuck should of sent it to classicwatch now it will cost me another 700 buck for classicwatch to reservice it when I feel like spending the money. It's all about the right watchmaker for the right job. The watchmaker knew his Heuer's but Hanhart's were out of his wheelhouse funny mine was the last Hanhart he would touch knew another member of another forum who ask the same watchmaker to service his 417 he would not touch it but classicwatch did plus classicwatch specializes in sales and service of issued watches.

demer03
Current Forecast: Vintage Doxa
Name: Mike

Post by demer03 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:52 am

tmw wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:01 am
Why do I keep thinking of ordering the aquastar?

I am sure the new benthos will be coming. The challenge is the movement, but sinn basically did similar with the EZM1 and others that yse the centerhand chrono. The new benthos is what I really want - as didnt want to deal with the vintage.

Its only a matter of time, and will be expensive, which will be no suprise.
Me too. I'll shed the Certina and likely jump on a black one.
Old Michigan steams like a young man's dreams
The islands and bays are for sportsmen

DEMO

Post by DEMO » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:42 am

The Aquastar website says first batch of Gray, Blue and Black dials are sold out. Next batch will be ready in January.

They seem popular. :shrug:

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:30 am

DEMO wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:42 am
The Aquastar website says first batch of Gray, Blue and Black dials are sold out. Next batch will be ready in January.

They seem popular. :shrug:
a popular blog is pushing them. they can sell anything :mrgreen:

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:31 am

River Rat wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:33 am
Some times like the case of the Glycine airman and the hacking wire a watchmaker weak in there skill screws up the parts and no replacement parts. The timer in these are a little different than a chronograph but I bet what happens with the Airman happens to the Benthos. Why I send certain vintage watches for service to different watchmakers due to there skill and knowledge to certain brands. Like the Airman to Nevada Watch repair some to Jack and some military chronographs and vintage issued watches to Classicwatch since he specializes in them. Each watchmaker good for certain watches. Like Nevada watch repair had the hacking wire parts made for replacement parts he brought my Airman hacking wire back to life. Some times you learn the hard way like my Hanhart 417 I sent it for service to a guy who specializes in vintage Heuer chronographs it worked fine for a while then one of the pushers got stuck should of sent it to classicwatch now it will cost me another 700 buck for classicwatch to reservice it when I feel like spending the money. It's all about the right watchmaker for the right job. The watchmaker knew his Heuer's but Hanhart's were out of his wheelhouse funny mine was the last Hanhart he would touch knew another member of another forum who ask the same watchmaker to service his 417 he would not touch it but classicwatch did plus classicwatch specializes in sales and service of issued watches.
so like I said that equate's to being a pain in the ass. :mrgreen:

tmw
Name: The Enabler

Post by tmw » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:54 am

toxicavenger wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:31 am
River Rat wrote:
Terry. Exactly.

Why I never bought a benthos in the past. Vintage can be a royal pima.

My extent of vintage is 6105s/6309s.
Stan, don’t you know the first law of physics? Anything that’s fun costs at least eight dollars”
-- Eric Cartman

“To absent friends, lost loves, old gods, and the season of mists; and may each and every one of us always give the devil his due.”
― Neil Gaiman, The Sandman

I bought a cheap watch from a crazy man
Floating down canal
It doesn't use numbers or moving hands
It always just says now
Now you may be thinking that I was had
But this watch is never wrong
And If I have trouble the warranty said
Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On

- Jimmy Buffett

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:39 am

tmw wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:54 am
toxicavenger wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:31 am
River Rat wrote:
Terry. Exactly.

Why I never bought a benthos in the past. Vintage can be a royal pima.

My extent of vintage is 6105s/6309s.
You been a collector about as long as me ever think of the opportunity's you missed on a lot of vintage watches. You being a 6105 collector you seen the price jump the times of getting a 6105 for 350.00 is long over. Think I got my Benthos for 500 a Tudor Snowflake for 2000 a Benrus type II class A issued diver for a 1000 a Seiko 6105 for 350 it did need a little work they all double or more in price do you feel you missed the boat on some that were once cheaper and now out of your price range just because you were scared and did not want to do the work. Even with the amount I got into that 417 even with the 700 service I know coming up I am still a 1000 ahead in what I got in it if I sold it at a NAWCC reginal were people sell there vintage watches some one wanted to buy it off my wrist . Did not buy them as a investment bought them because I liked them. But do buy less these days due to the price increase on these unless I get a deal lucky now if I find a few a year that not selling at a crazy price glad I was into vintage watches before others thought the same way and kind of screwed it up for me I guess cost and demand only so many vintage watches. Did good because I bought them at the right time I remember when a lot of members here went crazy over the vintage Tudor subs a lot of snowflakes when they were cheap but most here are flippers you flip them then miss it years later and want to buy another but now with prices crazy you cant justify buying one since it double in price or more what you remember them going for years ago the same way I think if I sold one it would be gone for ever.