Biking: beginner tips?

Discuss your favorite music, TV shows & movies, cars and sports here.
justsellbrgs
Name: John

Re: Biking: beginner tips?

Post by justsellbrgs » Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:59 pm

CGSshorty wrote:Nice. Now take that fender off.
Already did. My wife is gonna ride it for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Go forth, my progeny, grab the world by the balls, squeeze hard and shake vigorously." J. Koch (aka "Swedefreak")

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Post by BBK357 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:58 pm

justsellbrgs wrote:
CGSshorty wrote:Nice. Now take that fender off.
Already did. My wife is gonna ride it for now.

That’s what a... never mind

DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

BBK357
Ban Jacobs

Post by BBK357 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:59 pm

justsellbrgs wrote:Stumbled into a nice deal on this....couldn’t pass it up.

Damn that’s awesome!

Did you find a good used one?

I’m loving mine. So glad I went for it.

DEATH FROM ABOVE

BBK357
Ban Jacobs

Post by BBK357 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:21 pm

Update:

I have been on my bike every day off I’ve had since I started- 4 days a week. So glad I’m in the habit. I just worked a stretch and I’m excited to get on it tomorrow afternoon.

- Strava app is great. Very accurate and I like that it saves my rides and I can look at it in map form.

- I bought a cheap 4 bike rack on amazon. Installed it last week and it’s fantastic. My bike doesn’t really move while I drive. The straps do seem like it’s made out of cheap nylon material. I actually have some good thick nylons straps that I can try and replace them with down the road if they break.
This is the one I got, Allen sports deluxe locking:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0792V7HB5?ps ... asin_title

There is a YouTube video for instructions. Best part is the chicks rack that’s putting it together.

- handlebars. I think I would appreciate a different grip.
After researching and going to suggested whatbars.com, I’m pretty settled on Koga Satori Denham bars. They are made in small orders and you have to pre order from a shop in the UK.
I talked to sales rep via email and he’s been great. Cost about $115.
The only other bar I was considering was a Jones H bar.
I just like the ergos on the Denham.

https://www.cyclesense.co.uk/products.php?show=26689

I think I’ll need a little rise with them as well. I’ll have my bike shop install them.

https://cycletraveloverload.com/best-bi ... d-to-know/

- paint: I found out my ogre is powder coated and not painted. I’ve put a lot of scratches on it because of the lack of kickstand. I had an issue with the front derailleur getting knocked out of place. Took me a few good sessions to get it in the spot so it could shift properly with the chain. Anyway, if fell over a few times when working on it.
Surly suggest using a light touch up model paint or nail polish.
So army green nail polish is on its way.

- the stock seat made by WTB was murdering my perineum. I found out this is not uncommon for this seat:

“A dick in the butt...”

Very accurate. I actually felt that my butt sit bones were bruised last week.

I showed a buddy of mine at work the seat. He said it’s designed to wreck your prostate with the peak on the front- and i agree:

I switched to the padded geriatric seat from my dads trek and it actually feels good, I can ride with no padded shorts now. It’s a temporary fix as I think the gel is pretty worn out and I shift around.

My plan is to try one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Fizik-Fizi-k-Arg ... th=1&psc=1

Last edited by BBK357 on Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DEATH FROM ABOVE

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:59 pm

This thread is full of win.

hobbit712
Name: Steve

Post by hobbit712 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:43 am

I picked up a very similar bike rack from Sam's on clearance a few years ago. Same brand....but rubber style straps instead. It suits my need just fine. It can get a little crowded if you try to put a few bike on there though.

I'm looking to get back on the bike this week after my crash. Ribs are feeling a lot better. My bike has been lonely after a tune up and new chain installed.
https://watchidiotsavants3.godaddysites.com/
instagram @watchidiotsavants

Chase after the dream, don't chase after the money

apnk
Supergluing Miscreant
Name: Juan

Post by apnk » Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:37 pm

Those Surly's look awesome guys! Here's my Canyon Grail on the beginning of a night ride. Since I got it I've added a new Raceface XC carbon seatpost, WTB Volt Ti seat, and Spank Vibrocore bars. Weighs in at 20.75 lbs which is crazy since most carbon gravel bikes start at that weight.

justsellbrgs
Name: John

Post by justsellbrgs » Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:55 pm

Benjy -- Surly doesn;t clear coat their bikes.... hence the scratches and decal rubs,... look to clear coat --- and find a shop that will put frame saver on/in it... if you are like me, riding later in the year will pick up road shit (salt, etc)....

and yes, I got a great deal on that Ogre --- local guy I know is a certified bike shop mechanic and was looking to sell..... he posted it up at a stupid low number for a 2020 and I told him - done. (he needed the money for a Midnight Special frame)

just ordered a Yakima Dr Tray (open box) at a discount.... the Kuat hang rack I have is great for one bike, shit for 2..... and a hang rack for my full suspension is a wrestling match.
"Go forth, my progeny, grab the world by the balls, squeeze hard and shake vigorously." J. Koch (aka "Swedefreak")

TLgdeL
Name: Gee Deez

Post by TLgdeL » Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:00 pm

apnk wrote:Those Surly's look awesome guys! Here's my Canyon Grail on the beginning of a night ride. Since I got it I've added a new Raceface XC carbon seatpost, WTB Volt Ti seat, and Spank Vibrocore bars. Weighs in at 20.75 lbs which is crazy since most carbon gravel bikes start at that weight.

I've been waiting for the notification that these are back in stock. I want a new bike baaaaaaad.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Image Image

BBK357
Ban Jacobs

Post by BBK357 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:49 pm

apnk wrote:Those Surly's look awesome guys! Here's my Canyon Grail on the beginning of a night ride. Since I got it I've added a new Raceface XC carbon seatpost, WTB Volt Ti seat, and Spank Vibrocore bars. Weighs in at 20.75 lbs which is crazy since most carbon gravel bikes start at that weight.

Wow that is incredible? An all carbon bike? 20lb?? Damn

DEATH FROM ABOVE

BBK357
Ban Jacobs

Post by BBK357 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:56 pm

hobbit712 wrote:I picked up a very similar bike rack from Sam's on clearance a few years ago. Same brand....but rubber style straps instead. It suits my need just fine. It can get a little crowded if you try to put a few bike on there though.

I'm looking to get back on the bike this week after my crash. Ribs are feeling a lot better. My bike has been lonely after a tune up and new chain installed.
Yes- but did the instructional video include a solid Ohio 7 with big tatties??

Glad your ribs are healed!

DEATH FROM ABOVE

apnk
Supergluing Miscreant
Name: Juan

Post by apnk » Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:57 pm

BBK357 wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:49 pm
Wow that is incredible? An all carbon bike? 20lb?? Damn

Mine is the aluminum version at 20lbs. Most aluminumn gravel bikes weigh in at 22+

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:00 am

BBK357 wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:21 pm

please don't use the extensions on those bars. they will put even more pressure on ur balls when fully stretched out.

here are the origin bars i have on one of my bikes
and the upright stem

it is a super comfy setup

BBK357
Ban Jacobs

Post by BBK357 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:33 am

toxicavenger wrote:
BBK357 wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:21 pm

please don't use the extensions on those bars. they will put even more pressure on ur balls when fully stretched out.

here are the origin bars i have on one of my bikes
and the upright stem

it is a super comfy setup
Not an extension- just a little rise is what I was thinking

DEATH FROM ABOVE

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:40 pm

BBK357 wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:33 am
I think I said it wrong. What I meant to say is the extension on these handle bars circled in yellow you do not want to use. they will extend you farther and put more pressure on ur little ding-ding
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Selym
Name: Myles

Post by Selym » Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:12 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:40 pm
BBK357 wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:33 am
I think I said it wrong. What I meant to say is the extension on these handle bars circled in yellow you do not want to use. they will extend you farther and put more pressure on ur little ding-ding
Those are extensions? I thought they were passenger seats. :shrug:

BBK357
Ban Jacobs

Post by BBK357 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:51 am

Update:

Ok so I finally got a new saddle as I have been riding on the Serfas RX thick gel padding.

I did a lot of research and I decided on the Fizik Argo Tempo R3 in 160mm.

I’ve been on 3 short rides in padded shorts from 5-10mi each as I can’t go much longer....

I’m super disappointed as I don’t think it’s working out for me. As soon as I sat on it I felt discomfort- no big deal. But today for my third ride with it, I feel like my left side sit bone is bruised (not balls or prostate, not my ding ding, it’s totally the ass bones). I can barely put pressure on it.
I’m going to try one more ride tomorrow.

If this doesn’t work out I’m not sure what to do besides try a Brooks leather saddle.
I guess I can always go back to the super padded Serfas seat I was using.

DEATH FROM ABOVE

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:06 pm

BBK357 wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:51 am
Update:

Ok so I finally got a new saddle as I have been riding on the Serfas RX thick gel padding.

I’ve been on 3 short rides in padded shorts from 5-10mi each as I can’t go much longer....

I’m super disappointed as I don’t think it’s working out for me. As soon as I sat on it I felt discomfort- no big deal. But today for my third ride with it, I feel like my left side sit bone is bruised (not balls or prostate, not my ding ding, it’s totally the ass bones). I can barely put pressure on it.

If this doesn’t work out I’m not sure what to do besides try a Brooks leather saddle.

I think give yourself time to adjust to it, and give yourself longer breaks in-between rides in the beginning (i.e. let your ass recover fully before sitting on it again).

Big clunky seats on bikes will force you to ride one way, which your body adapted to over the last couple months. You gotta unlearn some sub-optimal mechanics and build up better ones.
:htfu:

BacoNoir
Name: Roger

Post by BacoNoir » Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:08 pm

Give it a few more rides. Each spring it takes me 4-6 rides to adjust.
www.simplynoble.net
Time Magazine Person of the Year - 2006

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:39 am

Ben, did you untuck before you went for your ride?
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

james80
Name: James

Post by james80 » Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:31 am

Awesome Surly

I just lost the very long well thought out reply I spent the last hour typing, so now you you'll get the short angry version

Glad to see another on of us on a bike, riding's awesome and the only thing that's helped me keep my shit togeather for the last two years. Also lost 40lbs (but gained back a covid 10!).

Saddles are very individual and you need to know the size and shape of you sit bones, take a look at the links below to know more about your sit bones than you ever wanted to know

https://www.sq-lab.com/en/ergonomics/sq ... bone-pain/

https://sqlab-usa.com/pages/free-sqlab-ft-kit

Avoid padded seats but do get padded shorts, expect some pain as your causif ('cause if it wasn't there I'd have a vag) gets used to the abuse. I ride 70-80 miles a week (heading for 2500 this year), mostly 20 mile plus mixed road and trail rides on an MTB, on road rides I get discomfort around mile 20 but I think this is unavoidable. For the type of riding you're doing I'd leave the sadddle flat, the angle changes the pressure points and would normally be adjusted to suit riding style (nose slight up for climbing, slightly down for downhill) and not fit, get comforatable on the bike then angle it to suit what your doing. My bike is set up quite aggressivly with the bars 2.5" lower than the saddle and I keep mine completly flat.

Have someone ride behind you and check if your hips are rocking, if they are then your saddle is probably too high and will be causing more chaffing and bruising.

What's your name on Strava? this is me: https://www.strava.com/athletes/6141395

@apnk love the Canyon, I'd like one for road rides and hill training but won't do lycra!

@Joeprez you're strava's private bro and you won't accept me :crybaby:

And just becuase we're talking bike's here's where most of my watch collection went, 24lb with pedals:

Joeprez
Wants to see pics of your wife
Name: Joe

Post by Joeprez » Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:39 am

james80 wrote:Awesome Surly

I just lost the very long well thought out reply I spent the last hour typing, so now you you'll get the short angry version

Glad to see another on of us on a bike, riding's awesome and the only thing that's helped me keep my shit togeather for the last two years. Also lost 40lbs (but gained back a covid 10!).

Saddles are very individual and you need to know the size and shape of you sit bones, take a look at the links below to know more about your sit bones than you ever wanted to know

https://www.sq-lab.com/en/ergonomics/sq ... bone-pain/

https://sqlab-usa.com/pages/free-sqlab-ft-kit

Avoid padded seats but do get padded shorts, expect some pain as your causif ('cause if it wasn't there I'd have a vag) gets used to the abuse. I ride 70-80 miles a week (heading for 2500 this year), mostly 20 mile plus mixed road and trail rides on an MTB, on road rides I get discomfort around mile 20 but I think this is unavoidable. For the type of riding you're doing I'd leave the sadddle flat, the angle changes the pressure points and would normally be adjusted to suit riding style (nose slight up for climbing, slightly down for downhill) and not fit, get comforatable on the bike then angle it to suit what your doing. My bike is set up quite aggressivly with the bars 2.5" lower than the saddle and I keep mine completly flat.

Have someone ride behind you and check if your hips are rocking, if they are then your saddle is probably too high and will be causing more chaffing and bruising.

What's your name on Strava? this is me: https://www.strava.com/athletes/6141395

@apnk love the Canyon, I'd like one for road rides and hill training but won't do lycra!

@Joeprez you're strava's private bro and you won't accept me :crybaby:

And just becuase we're talking bike's here's where most of my watch collection went, 24lb with pedals:
Accepted!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Omega / Tudor / Rolex / Sinn / Doxa / Seiko

HapaHapa
Name: Eric

Post by HapaHapa » Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:22 pm

james80 wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:31 am
Hate when this happens. Even worse when it’s a job application and the thing locks up or won’t submit and then you have to type/fix the whole thing, on the iPad screen keyboard. iPad keyboard is on my “when employed” purchase list.

BBK357
Ban Jacobs

Post by BBK357 » Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:13 pm

CGSshorty wrote:Ben, did you untuck before you went for your ride?
Yes I did. But I left my little blue sparkly plug in. Maybe that’s why??

DEATH FROM ABOVE

BBK357
Ban Jacobs

Post by BBK357 » Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:17 pm

BacoNoir wrote:Give it a few more rides. Each spring it takes me 4-6 rides to adjust.
matt.wu wrote:
BBK357 wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:51 am
Update:

I think give yourself time to adjust to it, and give yourself longer breaks in-between rides in the beginning (i.e. let your ass recover fully before sitting on it again).

Big clunky seats on bikes will force you to ride one way, which your body adapted to over the last couple months. You gotta unlearn some sub-optimal mechanics and build up better ones.

Ok just went 12 miles on it today- well over an hour as it was city streets then the gravel side of the bike path.
It was actually better today! So excited.
One thing I noticed is that this seat is super thin compared to the gel seat I had on it. I think I actually need to raise my seat up an inch as I feel like my knees are now coming higher than they should.

I’m working this weekend but I’ll be back on it Monday. Really hope this seat works out.
But plan B is a Brooks b17
DEATH FROM ABOVE