Lockdown Survival - what are you doing?

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
Brimstone
Name: Eric

Re: Lockdown Survival - what are you doing?

Post by Brimstone » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:12 pm

Joeprez wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:59 pm

I'm not sure I'll like running, but I would like to try being able to run a 5k a couple times a week. Is that too much? (I did run a 5k last week and that fucked up my knee lol). If it doesn't stick (either because I don't like it or because my body wont let me), I will keep biking and doing low impact cardio on a machine.

I remember Drew told me diet was like 70% to 80%, the rest was exercise.

I miss that guy, should hit him up on IG.
I used to be quite the running addict. I would run at least 45 miles /72 km a week. I haven't been that intense about it in about 5 years. I still run around 10 miles a week, but spend more time in the weight room. I think that mix of weights and cardio is a better approach for me. I would agree that diet is the biggest factor for staying lean. I am quite obsessive about eating a high protein diet with good vegetables and keeping my carb intake low. I went completely off the diet last week in Puerto Rico. It seemed like you guys had a bakery every ten feet down there so the diet part may be harder there. :lol:

Joeprez
Wants to see pics of your wife
Name: Joe

Post by Joeprez » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:20 pm

Brimstone wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:12 pm
Joeprez wrote:

I'm not sure I'll like running, but I would like to try being able to run a 5k a couple times a week. Is that too much? (I did run a 5k last week and that fucked up my knee lol). If it doesn't stick (either because I don't like it or because my body wont let me), I will keep biking and doing low impact cardio on a machine.

I used to be quite the running addict. I would run at least 45 miles /72 km a week. I haven't been that intense about it in about 5 years. I still run around 10 miles a week, but spend more time in the weight room. I think that mix of weights and cardio is a better approach for me. I would agree that diet is the biggest factor for staying lean. I am quite obsessive about eating a high protein diet with good vegetables and keeping my carb intake low. I went completely off the diet last week in Puerto Rico. It seemed like you guys had a bakery every ten feet down there so the diet part may be harder there. :lol:
LOL, yes... difficult to stay lean here with all the fried food (mofongo, tostones) and the rice and beans.

Omega / Tudor / Rolex / Sinn / Doxa / Seiko

59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!
Name: David

Post by 59yukon01 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:22 pm

Normally I run on a treadmill M-W-F. At 60 I feel I'm just beating my body if I do more. The other days I'm usually walking my dog though.

I've taken several weeks off since I messed my lower back up and it needed to heal.

Part of the issue above was exacerbated by my shoes being worn out. Can't stress enough the importance of good shoes, especially for us older guys.

Just bought a pair of Asics Kayano 26 MX's.

gwells
Name: Greg

Post by gwells » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:32 pm

it will probably sound weird to most of you guys, but i dropped 25 lbs doing hot, vinyasa yoga 3 times a week, and probably firmed up a few muscles i the process, since after i stopped, i didn't gain weight, but my pants got a little tighter, so probably lost more like 30-35lbs of fat. it's actually a lot more physical than most people realize. one breath, one pose. a lot of planks. the place i did it was both vinyasa yoga and crossfit. i used to see the crossfit guys come take a yoga class and walk away at the end saying it was a harder workout than they expected.

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Post by BBK357 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:06 pm

I’m down about 30lb total from January from intermittent fasting. Or just skipping a meal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!
Name: David

Post by 59yukon01 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:08 pm

gwells wrote:it will probably sound weird to most of you guys, but i dropped 25 lbs doing hot, vinyasa yoga 3 times a week, and probably firmed up a few muscles i the process, since after i stopped, i didn't gain weight, but my pants got a little tighter, so probably lost more like 30-35lbs of fat. it's actually a lot more physical than most people realize. one breath, one pose. a lot of planks. the place i did it was both vinyasa yoga and crossfit. i used to see the crossfit guys come take a yoga class and walk away at the end saying it was a harder workout than they expected.
Funny you say that. My wife and I used to go to the gym 4-5 days a week for a long time. I did cardio and most of the weight machines.

She did cardio and classes. One was core and more which she talked me into trying. One lady was a Pilates instructor in her 40's. The next day I had sore muscles in places I didn't even know existed. Slow, controlled, methodical, poses, stances, & stretches, hence the core workout.

Loved her class, but she was only there one night a week. I didn't like the class when she wasn't there though. Too much bouncing around type stuff.
Last edited by 59yukon01 on Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BBK357
Ban Jacobs

Post by BBK357 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:08 pm

When it rains.....

Poor kid. Broke her arm a few months ago.
Now this.
Was on a trampoline. No falling off or anything. Said it was spring load from being double jumped. Tibia, only 3 weeks in this and then a Velcro splint for 2 more.

DEATH FROM ABOVE

gonzomantis
Name: Mike

Post by gonzomantis » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:45 pm

BBK357 wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:08 pm
When it rains.....

Now this.
Was on a trampoline. No falling off or anything. Said it was spring load from being double jumped. Tibia, only 3 weeks in this and then a Velcro splint for 2 more.

Total bummer. When I was a kid I broke my leg. A few days later we were painting in class (kindergarten), and the teacher had newspapers on the floor. My crutch slipped on the paper, and I bashed my head on the corner of the table. After getting some stitches the bleeding stopped...

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:11 pm

Awww - poor kiddo. Sucks to have that happen at all, but even worse in this hot summer when she'd rather be in a pool or running through a sprinkler.

Ryeguy

Post by Ryeguy » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:42 pm

JBZ wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:06 pm
Joeprez wrote:
JBZ wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:34 am

Agree on all of this, but my body and brain never took to running - I really tried for about 2 years. I wish it did - you can run just about anywhere, and the running community as a whole is a good group.

But definitely good to combine cardio with some weights (I've had to adapt to lighter weights and more reps as I've gotten older). And diet is important. Exercise is great and has a ton of benefits, but you'll never burn as many calories as you can eat.

Chris is probably a better source, but my experience was that doing a 5K even 3 times a week (once I built myself up to it) was fine. It was when I tried to go much beyond that (training for a 10k) that my body told me to go fuck myself. And I just found running to be painfully boring. But everyone's different - my wife loves running - it's her main form of exercise and she's been doing it for years.
I think running is a lot like weight training. What is really heavy for me is probably really light for a power lifter, and what is light for me might be really heavy for someone else. To me, it is all about effort. You've got to be pushing yourself a bit and not just mailing it in.

I run about 25 miles per week. I do 3 relatively quick 5-6 mile (depends on which loop I choose) runs during the week, then an "LSD" run (long, slow, distance) on the weekend of about 10 miles. Sometimes I only do 7 on the weekend, sometimes I'll do 13 or 15. It really depends on the weather, my mood, and what agenda my wife has planned for us.

If you ever get a desire to train for a race, I like the Hal Higdon programs (there are ton of options - this just happens to be one I liked). Here is a link to his novice 1 marathon training guide: https://www.halhigdon.com/training-prog ... -marathon/

FWIW, I am not a skinny little guy. My marathon weight is about 190#. Normal walking around weight is 195# and I'm 6'1". When it comes to running I'm more "Clydesdale" than "gazelle", but I run my own race at my own pace (or, to be more honest, I follow a cute ponytail until my heart explodes).

For weight training, I'm a fan of the old school P90X routines. They are pretty basic, but they work.

Ultimately, I think the real trick is to find a routine you can make into a habit that fits into your life. With all the travel I do (well, did and maybe will again), I found running and P90X to be portable enough to allow me to keep up my routine even while on the road. It's just the road food that kills me.

Just my $.02. What works for me may be different than what works for you.

gwells

Post by gwells » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:44 pm

coming out of a 5 day staycation and back to work tomorrow.

2 books read. a guitar engraved. 3 little faery doors made on the laser cutter for my mom (visiting her next weekend). office cleaned up. helped the wife make a rosewood box on the laser cutter for her dad and a couple of leather mini plague masks. 7.5lb boston butt smoked up on the kamado today. and when i was in the grocery store yesterday, there was a 10lb bag of leg quarters reduced for quick sale to $2.99, so i made a shitload of bone broth in the pressure cooker. not a leg meat fan for eating, but $0.30/lb for chicken made it a no brainer for me to make broth. can't get wings that cheap. will end up with 18 bags in the freezer w/2 cups each for less than $15 (bought some carrots and onions, too). deep, golden, gelatinous goodness.

oh, and some just general "nudge" time to recharge (hence the two books read). hopefully enough to recharge the batteries, i'm going to get hit hard tomorrow morning when i go back.

gwells

Post by gwells » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:46 pm

59yukon01 wrote:
Funny you say that. My wife and I used to go to the gym 4-5 days a week for a long time. I did cardio and most of the weight machines.

She did cardio and classes. One was core and more which she talked me into trying. One lady was a Pilates instructor in her 40's. The next day I had sore muscles in places I didn't even know existed. Slow, controlled, methodical, poses, stances, & stretches, hence the core workout.

Loved her class, but she was only there one night a week. I didn't like the class when she wasn't there though. Too much bouncing around type stuff.
for that kind of stuff, the right instructor is really important. i knew which teachers ran me through the stuff i liked the most. i was in yoga for the work, not for the new age cleansing the mind stuff. sometimes i had to learn to tune that stuff out, but i had my favorite teachers who worked us hard and didn't focus on that part too much. i always tried to do the "power hour" classes instead of the longer ones because i knew they focused on getting right to it and powering through.

i wish my shoulders didn't turn to shit after i went back to playing goalie. there's so much i couldn't possibly do on either of them in yoga now. at least not until i get my shoulder replacement. :(

Steve O.
Name: Uh, Steve

Post by Steve O. » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:50 pm

May have let myself go lately...

"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things." - George Carlin

BBK357
Ban Jacobs

Post by BBK357 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:25 pm

gonzomantis wrote:
BBK357 wrote:
When it rains.....

Now this.

Total bummer. When I was a kid I broke my leg. A few days later we were painting in class (kindergarten), and the teacher had newspapers on the floor. My crutch slipped on the paper, and I bashed my head on the corner of the table. After getting some stitches the bleeding stopped...
Damn that is horrible! Literal Insult to injury.

DEATH FROM ABOVE

BacoNoir
Name: Roger

Post by BacoNoir » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:39 pm

Hiked about 5 miles today (out and back) from Echo Lake to Idaho Springs reservoir all between about 10,300 and 10,800 feet above sea level. Only got for to fish for about 30 minutes before the weather turned but caught two small rainbow trout. I’m beat. Time for some Advil, alcohol and steak.

ImageImageImageImageImage
www.simplynoble.net
Time Magazine Person of the Year - 2006

Captdave
Name: Dave

Post by Captdave » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:48 pm

Great looking walk.

Live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse.

poppydog
aka Nelldog
Name: Steve

Post by poppydog » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:18 pm

Bought Oliver a plate carrier for his birthday; he know thinks he's Ross Edgley :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards

Steve

Joeprez

Post by Joeprez » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:52 am

Yeap, very cool Roger!

Selym
Name: Myles

Post by Selym » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:43 am

poppydog wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:18 pm
Bought Oliver a plate carrier for his birthday; he know thinks he's Ross Edgley :lol:
Body armor? Is he in the military? :scratch:

Joeprez

Post by Joeprez » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:10 am

Had a pretty cool weekend, starting with stand up paddling Saturday morning. I'm really enjoying kayaking and now this.

Question, anyone has any experience with inflatable stand up paddles? I dont have the space at home for a rigid one. I'll probably just keep renting for now ($15 for an hour for the paddleboard, or a membership of $50 monthly for 6 hours of paddle rides, so $8.34 per hour), but if we really get into it, I wanna know my options. Another option I have is get a used, rigid board and pay for storage space in the Marina ($65 per month).

Ryeguy

Post by Ryeguy » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:26 pm

poppydog wrote:
If he really wants to be like Ross Edgley, it sounds like you should've bought him a 100 lb tree (from reading Ross' Wiki page).

SoCal C4S
Name: RJ

Post by SoCal C4S » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:55 pm

Selym wrote:
poppydog wrote:
Probably for CrossFit.

Selym
Name: Myles

Post by Selym » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:22 pm

SoCal C4S wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:55 pm
Selym wrote:
poppydog wrote:
Probably for CrossFit.
I learned something new today. Thanks! :thumbsup:

gwells

Post by gwells » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:46 pm

i made a bee hotel on Saturday (and a little bit Sunday morning). it was a gift for my mom, but i'm going to make another one for our house next weekend.
350dfe04cc5fd1ed388cde7f38771a2bec92af2e.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:12 pm

gwells wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:46 pm
i made a bee hotel on Saturday (and a little bit Sunday morning). it was a gift for my mom, but i'm going to make another one for our house next weekend.

350dfe04cc5fd1ed388cde7f38771a2bec92af2e.jpg
we have a few of these. aren't you suppose to face them south west for the black bee's to use it?