Bike TLC

Discuss your favorite music, TV shows & movies, cars and sports here.
CGSshorty
Admin

Re: Bike TLC

Post by CGSshorty » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:21 am

dnslater wrote:
CGSshorty wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:58 am
JDC222 wrote:
CGSshorty wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:34 pm
Now I want one of these:
ImageImageImage
Surly makes some cool bikes! I think the Pugsley would be fun too!

I see a lot of people on fat bikes, but I don’t really get the point of it where I live. They certainly look great, though.
I rented a Pugsly at a ski resort in Colorado a few winters ago and it was a blast riding on groomed snowy cross country trails.
No chance of that here. It does look fun, though.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

abuemily
Name: Michael

Post by abuemily » Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:51 pm

gamecock111 wrote:
abuemily wrote:
CGSshorty wrote:
SoCal C4S wrote:I also have a Cannondale 29 hardtail. Love it!

That’s a beauty. I’ve been looking at the Trek Marlin 6. I really don’t need anything more high performance than that.
If you can find a dealer, look at the Giant Talon instead—we sell both at our shop, and for the same or less money you get better level components.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What you do recommend for n+1. I have a trek stache for mtb. I love the bike, but thinking about another for light trail and road work.
Get a gravel bike. I’d recommend either the Giant Revolt or the Trek Checkpoint. Again, the Giant comes in a bit cheaper, but I have ridden and like both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Wed May 13, 2020 4:50 am

I ordered a Surly Karate Monkey last night. I kept going back to that, and I got a good deal, so I’m happy.
David St. Hubbins

hobbit712
Name: Steve

Post by hobbit712 » Wed May 13, 2020 5:51 am

CGSshorty wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 4:50 am
I ordered a Surly Karate Monkey last night. I kept going back to that, and I got a good deal, so I’m happy.
Pics or it didn't happen! LOL

Which one did you get? Toxic Tangerine?

Steel frame correct? Looks pretty similar to my Dragonslayer except for the wheel size.
https://watchidiotsavants3.godaddysites.com/
instagram @watchidiotsavants

Chase after the dream, don't chase after the money

four20
Name: erik

Post by four20 » Wed May 13, 2020 6:43 am

CGSshorty wrote:

how hard is the sand down there? i generally like 4"+ for beach riding, but YMMV

hobbit712

Post by hobbit712 » Wed May 13, 2020 6:47 am

No beach riding for me. Surprisingly there are a number of good trails around my neck of the woods. No elevation but some built up mounds of dirt! LOL

four20

Post by four20 » Wed May 13, 2020 7:03 am

I posted this on the Instaface, but I'll share here, too. Got a Park Tool PCS-10.2 home stand from my folks for my upcoming birthday. The only way you can get a better stand is to buy the shop stand (for more than 2x the price). It's not the most compact when folded up (might not fit in your Prius trunk :bird: ) but mine will spend most of it's life in the basement shop I'm building. Nicely powder coated teardrop shaped tubes (prevents rotation), a small tool tray and an easy to use clamp. $200 pretty much everywhere is cheaper than a few trips to the shop for tune ups. Between me and my kids, we've got 4 bikes and I'm contemplating another hardtail :shh:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Wed May 13, 2020 7:06 am

hobbit712 wrote:
CGSshorty wrote:

Steel frame correct? Looks pretty similar to my Dragonslayer except for the wheel size.
I bought an all black one with rigid fork.
David St. Hubbins

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Wed May 13, 2020 7:30 am

four20 wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 7:03 am
I posted this on the Instaface, but I'll share here, too. Got a Park Tool PCS-10.2 home stand from my folks for my upcoming birthday. The only way you can get a better stand is to buy the shop stand (for more than 2x the price). It's not the most compact when folded up (might not fit in your Prius trunk :bird: ) but mine will spend most of it's life in the basement shop I'm building. Nicely powder coated teardrop shaped tubes (prevents rotation), a small tool tray and an easy to use clamp. $200 pretty much everywhere is cheaper than a few trips to the shop for tune ups. Between me and my kids, we've got 4 bikes and I'm contemplating another hardtail :shh:
Sweet. $200 ain't bad for a nice stand. We are a 6 bike family (my son and I each have two bikes, one road, one MT) plus my wife's and daughter's. We have trails off our neighborhood and my son is out there every day exploring. (My mother was actually surprised when she asked me where he was and I said I had no idea - out on the trails somewhere.)

It looks like they are going to open the beaches back up for surfing here, but with very limited parking. I just picked up a couple of the board racks for the bikes (internet images, but similar idea):

I've wanted to get these for a while since seeing them on HI. I figure this parking restriction is a good excuse.

four20

Post by four20 » Wed May 13, 2020 7:32 am

Ryeguy wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 7:30 am
four20 wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 7:03 am
Sweet. $200 ain't bad for a nice stand. We are a 6 bike family (my son and I each have two bikes, one road, one MT) plus my wife's and daughter's. We have trails off our neighborhood and my son is out there every day exploring. (My mother was actually surprised when she asked me where he was and I said I had no idea - out on the trails somewhere.)

It looks like they are going to open the beaches back up for surfing here, but with very limited parking. I just picked up a couple of the board racks for the bikes (internet images, but similar idea):

I've wanted to get these for a while since seeing them on HI. I figure this parking restriction is a good excuse.
don't forget a good lock :cheers:

also, did your number change?

Ryeguy

Post by Ryeguy » Wed May 13, 2020 8:00 am

Yeah - good point on the lock. I've got a couple that are at best rated "helping honest people stay honest". I should probably invest in something a bit more rugged.

Re: the number - nope, still the same. I'll shoot you a text now.

four20

Post by four20 » Wed May 13, 2020 8:05 am

Ryeguy wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 8:00 am
Yeah - good point on the lock. I've got a couple that are at best rated "helping honest people stay honest". I should probably invest in something a bit more rugged.

especially after they watch you walk into the surf with your board....

i got your txt, but did you get my return..?

Ryeguy

Post by Ryeguy » Wed May 13, 2020 8:34 am

four20 wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 8:05 am
Ryeguy wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 8:00 am

especially after they watch you walk into the surf with your board....

i got your txt, but did you get my return..?
Received - sorry. Phone on silent. Response sent.

hobbit712

Post by hobbit712 » Wed May 13, 2020 8:37 am

CGSshorty wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 7:06 am
hobbit712 wrote:
CGSshorty wrote:

I bought an all black one with rigid fork.
Sweet! :rock:

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Fri May 15, 2020 8:04 pm

four20 wrote:
CGSshorty wrote:

how hard is the sand down there? i generally like 4"+ for beach riding, but YMMV
Forgot to answer this. The sand near me is soft and very deep. I don’t think it would be easy to ride on.
David St. Hubbins

amckiwi
Name: Stu

Post by amckiwi » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:50 pm

79A3BAB9-8A7C-4388-87DF-AEEC0A1DC1BF.jpeg
Parked in the Melbourne CBD
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

demer03
Current Forecast: Vintage Doxa
Name: Mike

Post by demer03 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:48 am

Wife and I hadn’t used our bikes in years. Old knee and back injuries for me and the car accident in ‘05 for her. We took the plunge on two class one E bikes last week and are having a blast. We live at the base of a steep hill/dune, and taking that to downtown was tough. These are great for giving a boost when needed.

No power needed 90% of the time and it feels great spending an hour or so biking all over town in the evening.

Tough to part with that money, but worth it so far.
Old Michigan steams like a young man's dreams
The islands and bays are for sportsmen

hobbit712

Post by hobbit712 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:22 am

demer03 wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:48 am
Wife and I hadn’t used our bikes in years. Old knee and back injuries for me and the car accident in ‘05 for her. We took the plunge on two class one E bikes last week and are having a blast. We live at the base of a steep hill/dune, and taking that to downtown was tough. These are great for giving a boost when needed.

No power needed 90% of the time and it feels great spending an hour or so biking all over town in the evening.

Great stuff. Have fun.

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:51 am

demer03 wrote:Wife and I hadn’t used our bikes in years. Old knee and back injuries for me and the car accident in ‘05 for her. We took the plunge on two class one E bikes last week and are having a blast. We live at the base of a steep hill/dune, and taking that to downtown was tough. These are great for giving a boost when needed.

That’s great, Mike. Those are very popular down here. There’s a place in town that rents them and takes people on guided rides along the coast.
David St. Hubbins

BacoNoir
Name: Roger

Post by BacoNoir » Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:28 pm

demer03 wrote:Wife and I hadn’t used our bikes in years. Old knee and back injuries for me and the car accident in ‘05 for her. We took the plunge on two class one E bikes last week and are having a blast. We live at the base of a steep hill/dune, and taking that to downtown was tough. These are great for giving a boost when needed.

I bought one for commuting right before the pandemic and love it. I’m riding further when I take it out and still getting a decent workout. I can get my heart rate up by keeping the assist level down. Hope you enjoy some great miles/rides on it and the fresh air it brings.
www.simplynoble.net
Time Magazine Person of the Year - 2006

demer03
Current Forecast: Vintage Doxa
Name: Mike

Post by demer03 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:31 pm

BacoNoir wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:28 pm

I bought one for commuting right before the pandemic and love it. I’m riding further when I take it out and still getting a decent workout. I can get my heart rate up by keeping the assist level down. Hope you enjoy some great miles/rides on it and the fresh air it brings.
Absolutely. 7-10 mile ride each night.

Best money I’ve spent in a while.
Old Michigan steams like a young man's dreams
The islands and bays are for sportsmen

Mr_Pacman
Name: James

Post by Mr_Pacman » Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:42 pm

Just sold my "Drink More Water" piss yellow Surly Steamroller on craigslist today as I rarely rode it. Bought myself a gravel bike last year and ride that one all over the place. Doing around 30km/day for exercise and will ride it to work once we fire back up again.

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:35 pm

I’m not quite sure what to make of the gravel bike craze. Maybe it’s because I’ve never liked drop bars. A lot of them look like 90’s mountain bikes.
David St. Hubbins

Mr_Pacman
Name: James

Post by Mr_Pacman » Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:37 pm

CGSshorty wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:35 pm
I’m not quite sure what to make of the gravel bike craze. Maybe it’s because I’ve never liked drop bars. A lot of them look like 90’s mountain bikes.
It's pretty much what they are. An old school mountain bike with drop bars. I find them to be very versatile and does the role of multiple bikes quite well. You can ride pavement and rough road without any issues and they have a riding position that is more relaxed than a road bike but slightly more aggressive than a modern mountain bike.

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:26 pm

I wouldn’t mind having one of these Ritchey’s.Image
David St. Hubbins