More WUS Shenanigans...

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
Steve O.
Name: Uh, Steve

More WUS Shenanigans...

Post by Steve O. » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:21 pm

Yes, I used the word shenanigans. :grin: I don't know how else to describe my dealings with two seperate people on WUS today. Not mad, just amused. I'll say up front that I am bored today (really bored, but am working some and stuck at the house), so it's my own fault for posting a couple of things for sale over there.

Around noon I sold a watch. After receiving the funds, I PM'd the guy that I would ship tomorow, and this is the response that I got - "Shipping today would be better... but I can wait another day. Really? This isn't Amazon dude.

Then, a little while ago, I got a PM from a guy wanting to buy one of two Isofrane STYLE straps I have for sale for $19.50. A couple of minutes later, he PMs stating "Disregard previous. Not interested. Isofrane style." When was the last time you saw a genuine Isofrane for under twenty bucks? The word "STYLE" was right there in the header.

Anyway, no biggie, no rant, just sometimes wonder what people are thinking. Did I mention that I'm bored, and really don't feel like working?
Last edited by Steve O. on Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things." - George Carlin

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Re: More WUS Shenanigans...

Post by hoppyjr » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:22 pm

People are assholes.

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:23 pm

Lowest common denominator over there. I wish everything would sell here on DWC, but we’re a pretty small group.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Post by Chocodove » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:39 pm

I (thankfully) am usually pretty lucky over there. One yahoo at Bladeforums though, got so damn angry that I didn't sell him a knife since not once in three negligibly intelligible PM's did he actually say "I'll take it". HOW DARE YOU.
- Todd

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:42 pm

Chocodove wrote:I (thankfully) am usually pretty lucky over there. One yahoo at Bladeforums though, got so damn angry that I didn't sell him a knife since not once in three negligibly intelligible PM's did he actually say "I'll take it". HOW DARE YOU.
Wait… That little bitch Greta tried to buy a knife from you?

CesarG
Mexican
Name: Cesar

Post by CesarG » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:44 pm

WUS is the Reddit of watch forums.

gr8sw
Name: Pedro

Post by gr8sw » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:47 pm

you're too thin-skinned (besides being really bored) Steve :htfu: :lol:

but yes, no shortage of asshats out there :scratch:
‘I don’t worry about a thing, 'cause I know nothing’s gonna be alright’ Mose Allison

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Post by Chocodove » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:48 pm

hoppyjr wrote:
Chocodove wrote:I (thankfully) am usually pretty lucky over there. One yahoo at Bladeforums though, got so damn angry that I didn't sell him a knife since not once in three negligibly intelligible PM's did he actually say "I'll take it". HOW DARE YOU.
Wait… That little bitch Greta tried to buy a knife from you?
Hahaha
- Todd

ChuckW
Name: Chuck

Post by ChuckW » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:59 pm

Last night, I received an inquiry about an Isofrane I have for sale, "Does it have a vanilla smell?" I answered truthfully, "A little, not much." The guy wasn't a newbie, so he should've known better. A better answer would've been, "Duh, yeah!"
No, it's not Tourettes.

mattcantwin
mattcreatestonsofwatchrelateddrama

Post by mattcantwin » Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:15 pm

That's pretty mild for shenanigans over there.

Steve O.

Post by Steve O. » Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:20 pm

gr8sw wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:47 pm
you're too thin-skinned (besides being really bored) Steve :htfu: :lol:

but yes, no shortage of asshats out there :scratch:
Could be. As I said though, just bored and thought I'd relate my experiences. ;) Maybe this reply makes me thin skinned. :shrug:

sierra11b
Name: Eric

Post by sierra11b » Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:41 pm

Give it a good coating of from-under cheese before you box.

And my suggestion is exactly why I try to be a cordial as possible once the transaction is complete.

djh1201
Name: David H.

Post by djh1201 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:54 pm

I had a couple straps up for sale over there last week. This asshole messaged me and said that if I offered to sell them to him at a REALLY discounted price from what I was asking, MAYBE he would take them.... We're talking $40 and $50 straps here.

WTF is wrong with people? It's getting to the point that I don't want to buy anything anymore unless I know I can probably sell it here... :scream:

SoCal C4S
Name: RJ

Post by SoCal C4S » Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:38 pm

I only list on WUS If it doesn’t sell here at a significantly lower price in the first couple of days. Like others here, I’ve had fairly good luck and experiences there, but it isn’t my first (or second) choice when selling.

Steve O.

Post by Steve O. » Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:12 pm

While I'd much rather sell here, truth is I've had much more success on WUS, headaches and all.

SoCal C4S

Post by SoCal C4S » Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:13 pm

Steve O. wrote:While I'd much rather sell here, truth is I've had much more success on WUS, headaches and all.
The pool of buyers is deeper. This place is basically Sinns, Seikos and a Panerai or Rolex, here and there. If you aren’t selling one of those, it likely won’t sell here.

BacoNoir
Name: Roger

Post by BacoNoir » Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:55 pm

sierra11b wrote:Give it a good coating of from-under cheese before you box.

And my suggestion is exactly why I try to be a cordial as possible once the transaction is complete.
Or a nice pubic hair in the bracelet!
www.simplynoble.net
Time Magazine Person of the Year - 2006

BacoNoir

Post by BacoNoir » Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:00 pm

Steve O. wrote:Around noon I sold a watch. After receiving the funds, I PM'd the guy that I would ship tomorow, and this is the response that I got - "Shipping today would be better... but I can wait another day. Really? This isn't Amazon dude.
This is a bit unrealistic, BUT knowing the buyer pool over there, once we start talking about payment, I tell them when I can ship as part of the “can you verify you will be home/work to sign for the package” discussion.
www.simplynoble.net

Henryj
Bubblehead
Name: Old guy

Post by Henryj » Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:06 pm

BacoNoir wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:00 pm
Steve O. wrote:Around noon I sold a watch. After receiving the funds, I PM'd the guy that I would ship tomorow, and this is the response that I got - "Shipping today would be better... but I can wait another day. Really? This isn't Amazon dude.
This is a bit unrealistic, BUT knowing the buyer pool over there, once we start talking about payment, I tell them when I can ship as part of the “can you verify you will be home/work to sign for the package” discussion.
I’m guessing this makes me a bit of a dick when I sell on WUS, but I don’t believe I ever asked a buyer to verify he’d be home to accept delivery. Typically, I’ll tell a buyer he has three days from delivery to return if that’s part of the deal. I do this to set a limit on how long I’ll let money sit in paypal before I feel free to use it. I don’t spend money from a sale until I get the “happy, thank you” email. I’ve always used the email tracking feature of USPS, and if I don’t hear anything from a buyer, the 72 hour clock starts the minute USPS shows delivered.
If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.

Jcp311
Name: Jeremy

Post by Jcp311 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:04 pm

It's gotten worse over the last few years. Many of the theme forums are just gigantic 500 page circle jerks for micro brands (a ronda movement and yellow dial SO COOL!!!!). Literally so few are posting original stuff anymore.

Not to mention the used market is soft. So the "deeper pool" of buyers isn't as deep it seems anymore. I've gotten to the point where I think facebook and even eBay are better bets in some cases.
Way too many watches

BacoNoir

Post by BacoNoir » Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:46 am

Henryj wrote:
BacoNoir wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:00 pm
I’m guessing this makes me a bit of a dick when I sell on WUS, but I don’t believe I ever asked a buyer to verify he’d be home to accept delivery. Typically, I’ll tell a buyer he has three days from delivery to return if that’s part of the deal. I do this to set a limit on how long I’ll let money sit in paypal before I feel free to use it. I don’t spend money from a sale until I get the “happy, thank you” email. I’ve always used the email tracking feature of USPS, and if I don’t hear anything from a buyer, the 72 hour clock starts the minute USPS shows delivered.
I guess I should have clarified that these are expensive watches that I shipped FedEx overnight. I’ve sold some Helsons, Marathons, Casios, etc over there and just used Priority Mail.
www.simplynoble.net

SoCal C4S

Post by SoCal C4S » Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:40 am

If the watch is more than a couple of grand, I always use FedEx Overnight through CGI.

blueradish
Name: blueradish

Post by blueradish » Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:50 pm

I would seriously have to bite my tongue if I received those responses. I tell my wife everyday the world is mostly made of stupid people.

hoppes-no9
Name: Dan

Post by hoppes-no9 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:48 am

99% of people on this planet are either idiots, assholes, or both.

The other 1% hang out here.

Jeep99dad
Grand-père
Name: Brice

Post by Jeep99dad » Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:13 am

Doesn’t really seem like a big deal. I mean we know there are a lot of people there and like in any big groups, you’ll have the entitled ones (seems like the first of your two cases), the Aholes, picky and OCD guys, cheapos, etc... we know it. It’s like that across everything we do not just watch forums. Not surprising. Why bother about this kinda of small stuff.
The second guy probably liked at your ad too fast and missed the word Style at first, thought he was getting the deal of the century
Also I saw a couple of threads there about the state of sales during this Covid-19 period.... how much more difficult it is to sell, and how it’d drive prices down, they could get a deal.... it’s clear many were excited to take advantage of the situation to negotiate even harder and take advantage of those in a bind needing to sell stuff quick.
So people on used watch sale forums were already expecting deals before now they want you to give stuff away
Merde Alors! Et Vive Les Francais! :)