real-world experience of MM

Discussion of Seiko watches
poppydog
aka Nelldog
Name: Steve

Post by poppydog » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:32 am

Okay, so I'm still very much undecided (and that indecision may lose me the opportunity to buy an SLA023J1) but I'd rather that than buy on impulse and regret it.

I've seen one from a UK AD at 20% off, and I know several people here have owned the precursor, and wondered what the real-world experiences are. For example, wearability, strap choices, general quality, as well as diving with it. I've read reviews, and seen nothing negative aside from some minor criticisms of the bracelet.

Given the current global situation, I may simply just forget it. Or not. I may be just bored :shrug: either way, I'm interested in what folks have to say.

Thanks in advance.
Regards

Steve

poppydog
aka Nelldog

Re: real-world experience of MM

Post by poppydog » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:35 am

Forgot to add the AD in case anyone else is interested, they currently have two in stock. They also had the SLA035, but that's gone now.
https://www.francisandgaye.co.uk/seiko- ... 3J1-p31544
Regards

Steve

mfxr
Name: MattF

Post by mfxr » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:12 am

I have an SBDX017.
I did not expect to wear it on the bracelet much, but I actually like it more than I thought I would.

I have never worn it on the original rubber strap, but really liked wearing on the Crafter Blue deployant rubber strap https://www.crafterblue.com/product-pag ... strap-cb03 ( assuming it fits the newer models also?)

My main problem is that it is a bit too tall/chunky to wear everyday to my office job. Long sleeves don't work that well with it.
Quality and finish are very nice, almost too nice (makes me think twice about wearing in more active situations, for fear of marking the beautiful polish, bezel etc)
That's just me though, obviously it could take a beating as it is built like a tank.

The SLA023J1 blue looks great I think :thumbsup:

poppydog
aka Nelldog

Post by poppydog » Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:03 am

Thanks fellas; I doubt I'd notice the +/- and I'm used to the thickness of my Seawolf and Bremont Supermarine. I know this is going to seem bad, but part of my indecision is that I've simply never spent that much on a Seiko. I've had two or three over the years and they've been great, and this is (kind of / sort of) meant to be my last new purchase: I'm retiring at the end of April (but still returning to the same place part-time) and want a new watch to mark it.

Thanks again.
Regards

Steve

dukerules

Post by dukerules » Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:28 am

It's a great watch. Really beautiful, oozes class, and has great heritage. The movement is excellent, but of course unregulated. Wears really well on a variety of rubber straps. My main issues were the following:
1) Wears very tall. Combined with the smallish dial, this makes for a bit of an awkward watch to wear day in and day out.
2) The dial is too small proportionally to the case size for me.
3) Does not play nicely with NATOs, as it's just too tall. I put this one as its own issue, as this is what ultimately made me sell the watch.

All that said, I came very close to buying the SLA021 about a year ago.
Last edited by dukerules on Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Post by Chocodove » Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:00 am

I’ve owned two of the 017’s and not much to add to what has already been said. They wear very well for their size, but yes they are extremely tall (to me). Classic look and the case is a work of art. Timekeeping was adequate on both of mine, around +7-10 seconds/day of I recall correctly. They rock on isofranes IMO.

I’ll probably get one of the newer versions at some point to check out the “upgrades”, but definitely not a watch I could wear daily due to the height.

ETA: The much cheaper MM200 is an excellent alternative and wears so much better for me. Not as nice a watch for sure, but then again the newer MM300’s are pushing $2.5k at this point (or at least last time I checked).
- Todd

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:25 am

I agree with all the prior comments, although I didn’t wear mine on bracelet. It’s absolutely fantastic on Isofrane, but too top heavy for comfortable nato strap wear (at least it was when I tried it). I’ve considered owning another but try to stick to no-date stuff now.

On that new 023 I like all the improvements except one; the bezel is only lumed to 20 min. Seems odd, I’d do it all or none.

TSD
Name: Tom

Post by TSD » Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:56 am

Seppia wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:58 am
On the other hand, Wayne had a very accurate one and did not mind the tallness: I think it’s still his go-to watch today.
Love hearing this! Chef Wayne’s got my old 001. It was a serial from the end of the production run, so probably a MEMS movement. +5spd all day everyday. It was a great one.

Steve, any generation of MM is going to wear well (especially on rubber). It’s not overly tall or top heavy so long as you’re expecting less of a Seamaster feel and more of a PloProf. I would’ve kept mine if I hadn’t always wanted the original 6159. Definitely go for it!

Henryj
Bubblehead
Name: Old guy

Post by Henryj » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:54 am

I’ve owned the 001 version twice, both times I sold it because I fell victim to SOS (shiny object syndrome). It’s a great watch, but it is a bit chunky. It’s comfortable on a fairly stiff canvas strap or the bracelet. I never tried it on rubber. I won’t get into the “it’s a $2000 Seiko” thing, either you get past that to appreciate what it is, or you don’t. Here are my thoughts on it from 2013. Re-reading this makes me want one again.
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=23806&p=415962#p415962
If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.

59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!
Name: David

Post by 59yukon01 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:44 am

I've had the 001 for 3 years now. Absolutely love it worn on the Crafter Blue. Maybe it's my wrist shape, but while it's a little taller than my other watches, I've never thought it too tall.

Selym
Name: Myles

Post by Selym » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:17 am

When I first got mine going on ten years ago, I wore it daily for months. That’s saying something for a fickle watch geek.

Sure, it’s tall and kind of clunky, but you get used to it quickly.

I’m lucky; mine is an excellent timekeeper. I tracked it over the course of a month, and it was gaining 1-2 seconds per day.

All that said, I think these are a better value second hand. I think I paid US$1500 for mine in next-to-new condition (10 years ago). It’s definitely worth that price.

sierra11b
Name: Eric

Post by sierra11b » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:21 am

I should have kept my (3ea) 001 or 012.

Sure it was slightly top heavy but in hindsight it was part of the charm of the watch. I convinced myself it was the predecessor to the DSSD fitting somewhere between it and the 16600.

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Post by BBK357 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:54 pm

I LOVED my seiko MM300. Perfect in bracelet but floppy on NATO. Nice on the right rubber strap too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

dukerules

Post by dukerules » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:23 pm

Now I want one again. It won't stick around, but still.

Be aware that the lume material on the 001 (and possibly the 017, I don't know) was hand applied, and thus was very uneven--I liked that quirk, but some may not.

Also agree that the MM200, while really not comparable in some ways, is a reasonable facsimile for a lot less money, and wears really well, too (I've made it my Seiko beater, and absolutely love it).

spring-diver
Name: Shannon

Post by spring-diver » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:10 pm

I still have mine. I’ll probably keep it forever Image

My buddy took this photo the other day...fn amazing shot Image

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk
Seiko: SBDB001, SBDX001, SRP777

Sinn: EZM9, T1, T1B, 836 & 857S

:cheers:

Torrid
Name: Heath

Post by Torrid » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:32 pm

I should have kept mine. I got frustrated when it had movement issues and I didn’t want to deal with it after having issues with two Seikos before it. I should have gotten it fixed instead of selling it cheap.

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:56 pm

My 001 was my first “grail” and I still love it (despite owning more expensive pieces). I wear it often and it’ll never leave my collection. I’m actually collecting spare replacement parts for it just to ensure I can keep it running years and decades from now. It’s the only watch in my collection I’ve even thought about doing this for.

Yes, it is a bit top heavy and tall, but it is also a purpose built tool diver that just happens to look a bit dressy. It is the watch equivalent of a heavyweight boxer in a three piece suit.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:53 pm

I have owned the 001 four times. I still love it. It wore to tall for me. Getting parts suck. Japan only service last I checked.

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:00 pm

toxicavenger wrote:I have owned the 001 four times. I still love it. It wore to tall for me. Getting parts suck. Japan only service last I checked.
.....but what if he wanted a Triplock crown?

;-)

poppydog
aka Nelldog

Post by poppydog » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:09 pm

Thanks guys, really appreciate everyone's input. I do want one, but still undecided, and were it not for the current situation I'd make the effort to get out and look at the different versions in person (I've never seen one). Currently as of this post, I've found ADs that have the 023, 021 and the 035 in stock: they each look great which doesn't help with my indecision. The 035 looks great, but am not sure about the glossiness of the dlc. So, I'm still thinking and looking.

Terry, I think the UK boutique has a service centre, though I don't know if they can service this one.

Cheers fellas :cheers:
Regards

Steve

BBK357
Ban Jacobs

Post by BBK357 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:01 am

I LOVE the 035 Ninja Tuna.

The shroud is not as shiny as you think.
The bezel def has a shine to it, but check out this thread where I showed mine after a $50 bead blasted bezel job.;

viewtopic.php?t=52884

It wears great and while I like the old Tuna hands better, the new hands work pretty nicely on the all black case.

Man. All this Tuna talk has me wanting another 035 or a classic Darth... the Darth wears very well on the wrist thanks to its lack of lugs.

DEATH FROM ABOVE

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:36 am

I agree Ben, but I believe he’s referring to this 035

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:02 am

hoppyjr wrote:I agree Ben, but I believe he’s referring to this 035

I really want one of these.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

BBK357
Ban Jacobs

Post by BBK357 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:59 am

Lol - damn.

Ok disregard the above post. I got mixed up with the wtb tuna thread.

DEATH FROM ABOVE

aikiman44
Tiki Extraordinaire
Name: J

Post by aikiman44 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:39 am

CGSshorty wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:02 am

I really want one of these.