Global slow down...

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
93 Turbo
Name: Jules

Global slow down...

Post by 93 Turbo » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:00 pm

Now focus has turned from current Rolex SS sport's releases to toilet paper, is this the correction required to realign supply & demand and the crazy grey prices being realised?

I've been tracking a few a Tudor Pelagos watches on a sales forum here in AUS. A 2 liner listed for $3,000.00 AUS, just South of $2K US, & a Pelagos Blue Lesst than 3 months old at $5K AUS.

Ordinarily these would have sold in a few days, but there still available after a good week.

While these examples are not a true indication of any adjustment, it will be interesting to see how this plays out over the coming weeks/months.
Strength is = 2 or > than "tipping over a so- called smart car plastered in “Coexist” bumper stickers".

Pat McNamara.

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Re: Global slow down...

Post by hoppyjr » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:37 pm

I have three cases of Costco toilet paper and 5 large bottles of hand sanitizer. I’m willing to trade all this bounty for a stainless Daytona. Would also consider an Explorer with cash my way.

93 Turbo
Name: Jules

Post by 93 Turbo » Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:11 am

hoppyjr wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:37 pm
I have three cases of Costco toilet paper and 5 large bottles of hand sanitizer. I’m willing to trade all this bounty for a stainless Daytona. Would also consider an Explorer with cash my way.
Careful mate I'd be holding onto that stuff...
Strength is = 2 or > than "tipping over a so- called smart car plastered in “Coexist” bumper stickers".

Pat McNamara.

stonehead887
Name: Jeremy

Post by stonehead887 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:51 am

On a very cynical note, I do think the information about coronavirus is seriously overblown. As always it's about money and I cant help thinking this is about realigning global markets.

And of course if the new commodity is bog paper, I am happy to trade some of mine for a Rolex....at least that will last longer in water than toilet paper....

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

snootydog
Jagermaster
Name: Andy

Post by snootydog » Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:37 am

If I'm hauling a container with a high value load, I have a placard to hold up to any police car wanting to stop me saying I won't stop, any genuine police will recognise this card. I'm now thinking a container full of toilet rolls comes under the high value load category too :lol:
It's a crazy crazy world :boxing:
Andy :uj:

caesarmascetti

Post by caesarmascetti » Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:32 am

The death rate will continue to drop and more and more cases are diagnosed with the testing kits. I would not at all be surprised when this is all said and down if they don't find that thousands have had with little or mild symptoms. IMO this is so much hype over nothing more than the FLU

caesarmascetti

Post by caesarmascetti » Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:32 am

The death rate will continue to drop and more and more cases are diagnosed with the testing kits. I would not at all be surprised when this is all said and down if they don't find that thousands have had with little or mild symptoms. IMO this is so much hype over nothing more than the FLU

HapaHapa
Name: Eric

Post by HapaHapa » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:07 am

snootydog wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:37 am
If I'm hauling a container with a high value load, I have a placard to hold up to any police car wanting to stop me saying I won't stop, any genuine police will recognise this card. I'm now thinking a container full of toilet rolls comes under the high value load category too :lol:
Do high value loads get shot by the top earning p$rn stars?
The Hapa

snootydog
Jagermaster
Name: Andy

Post by snootydog » Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:53 am

HapaHapa wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:07 am
snootydog wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:37 am
Do high value loads get shot by the top earning p$rn stars?
:roll: :roll:
Andy :uj:

59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!
Name: David

Post by 59yukon01 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:16 am

Of course this Coronavirus crap has been completely hyped, and no question more so because of it being an election year.

You never hear of this much panic over the flu, not even with these numbers below.

I'm beginning to think if gullibility/stupidity was a deadly disease half the people in the world would be dead already

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/pr ... ecfaa9.jpg[/IMG]Image

Selym
Name: Myles

Post by Selym » Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:27 am

caesarmascetti wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:32 am
I hope you're right, but data suggests that this is more virulent than the flu, and lands more people in the ICU than flu. The real danger is running out of hospital beds.

Things don't look so good in China, South Korea, Iran, and Italy.
Last edited by Selym on Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:04 pm

Selym wrote:
caesarmascetti wrote:
I hope you're right, but data suggests that this is more virulent than the flu, and lands more people in the ICU than flu. The real danger is running out of hospital beds.

Things don't look so good in China, South Korea, and Italy.
:1:

I do think it’s hyped up for sure, but it’s likely just as foolish to be dismissive.
:htfu:

caesarmascetti

Post by caesarmascetti » Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:15 pm

matt.wu wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:04 pm
Selym wrote:
caesarmascetti wrote:

I do think it’s hyped up for sure, but it’s likely just as foolish to be dismissive.

Absolutely Matt, again like the flu, take precautions wash your hands avoid touching your eyes, if you have a compromised immune system, pulmonary disorders, are older and frail in general you must be very careful, but healthy individuals have very little to worry about.

caesarmascetti

Post by caesarmascetti » Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:19 pm

Selym wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:27 am
caesarmascetti wrote:

The data is not complete as the testing has been only for those that have fallen ill. From what I've heard/read approx 80% will manifest very mild symptoms like a cold, or even be asymptomatic, again if there were a way to test I think you'd find thousands upon thousands of people have had it and mistook it for a cold or the flu.

Selym
Name: Myles

Post by Selym » Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:39 pm

caesarmascetti wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:19 pm
Selym wrote:
caesarmascetti wrote:

The data is not complete as the testing has been only for those that have fallen ill. From what I've heard/read approx 80% will manifest very mild symptoms like a cold, or even be asymptomatic, again if there were a way to test I think you'd find thousands upon thousands of people have had it and mistook it for a cold or the flu.
I hear you, but they don't typically quarantine large parts of nations for the cold and flu. :shrug:

caesarmascetti

Post by caesarmascetti » Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:39 pm

Selym wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:39 pm
caesarmascetti wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:19 pm
Selym wrote:
caesarmascetti wrote:

I hear you, but they don't typically quarantine large parts of nations for the cold and flu. :shrug:
Correct I would imagine if there was a vaccine for this like there is the flu, they wouldn't quarantine anyone

caesarmascetti

Post by caesarmascetti » Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:46 pm

Seppia wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:11 pm
same

a few reasons why the numbers are sku'd and will come down:

1) Only people that manifested symptoms and mostly severe symptoms went to hospital or doctors. SO we have no way of knowing how many people actually contracted it and were very light symptoms like a cold, or were completely asymptomatic. We're told that the people that were actually subjected to tests that tested positive 80% of them had very light or were asymptomatic. So many thousands of cases could be out there we don't even know about because they were light or asymptomatic. This alone would lower the death rate significantly.

2) in the highest death rate brackets, how many of those people had underlying conditions, respiratory conditions other immuno disorders? In the US I believe all the deaths had underlying conditions or were frail and old. The graph does not relate this info

The death toll skews old even more strongly. Overall, China CDC found, 2.3% of confirmed cases died. But the fatality rate was 14.8% in people 80 or older, likely reflecting the presence of other diseases, a weaker immune system, or simply worse overall health. By contrast, the fatality rate was 1.3% in 50-somethings, 0.4% in 40-somethings, and 0.2% in people 10 to 39.
Last edited by caesarmascetti on Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:49 pm

matt.wu wrote:
Selym wrote:
caesarmascetti wrote:

This. It’s not time to panic. This isn’t airborne Ebola. But it is time to be concerned. I worry about my parents and especially my FIL who’s in an assisted living facility. By all accounts, this thing can do a number on older people and people with compromised immune systems.

caesarmascetti

Post by caesarmascetti » Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:51 pm

JBZ wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:49 pm
matt.wu wrote:
Selym wrote:
caesarmascetti wrote:

This. It’s not time to panic. This isn’t airborne Ebola. But it is time to be concerned. I worry about my parents and especially my FIL who’s in an assisted living facility. By all accounts, this thing can do a number on older people and people with compromised immune systems.
Yes elderly and people with other underlying health issue need to be very careful.

dinexus
Name: Zach

Post by dinexus » Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:07 pm

The graph doesn't also relate the information where a person's smoking habit/history was taken into account.

caesarmascetti

Post by caesarmascetti » Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:10 pm

out of the total people that have died, how many were compromised with other health issues?

I think my point is still accurate, if you a healthy person with no underlying issues and are not elderly or frail you have very little to fear from this virus. If on the other hand you have other health conditions which have compromised your immune system or are old and frail you should be very careful. IMO the sheer panic we are seeing is just not justified. I will be interested in seeing how this evolves when we see the final analysis and numbers I still maintain the death rate will decline not increase as more cases are diagnosed especially among otherwise healthy people

"The death rate is likely to change further as more cases are confirmed, though experts predict that the percentage of deaths will decrease in the longer term since milder cases of COVID-19 are probably going undiagnosed." From the article below:

https://www.sciencealert.com/covid-19-s ... hould-drop

from the same article:

About 80 percent of COVID-19 cases are mild, the research showed, and experts think many mild cases haven't been reported because some people aren't going to the doctor or hospitals for treatment.

caesarmascetti

Post by caesarmascetti » Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:27 pm

Seppia wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:56 pm
caesarmascetti wrote:
Seppia wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:11 pm
same

a few reasons why the numbers are sku'd and will come down:

1) Only people that manifested symptoms and mostly severe symptoms went to hospital or doctors. SO we have no way of knowing how many people actually contracted it and were very light symptoms like a cold, or were completely asymptomatic. We're told that the people that were actually subjected to tests that tested positive 80% of them had very light or were asymptomatic. So many thousands of cases could be out there we don't even know about because they were light or asymptomatic. This alone would lower the death rate significantly.

2) in the highest death rate brackets, how many of those people had underlying conditions, respiratory conditions other immuno disorders? In the US I believe all the deaths had underlying conditions or were frail and old. The graph does not relate this info

The death toll skews old even more strongly. Overall, China CDC found, 2.3% of confirmed cases died. But the fatality rate was 14.8% in people 80 or older, likely reflecting the presence of other diseases, a weaker immune system, or simply worse overall health. By contrast, the fatality rate was 1.3% in 50-somethings, 0.4% in 40-somethings, and 0.2% in people 10 to 39.
1 not true at all. South Korea and Italy, just to cite the most glaring examples, have been running widespread tests for a while now (unlike the USA that is somewhat in denial)

2 the graph I posted is an apples to apples comparison.
So while it’s not the Black Death, saying “it’s just like the flu” is clearly wrong.
out of the total people that have died, how many were compromised with other health issues?

I think my point is still accurate, if you a healthy person with no underlying issues and are not elderly or frail you have very little to fear from this virus. If on the other hand you have other health conditions which have compromised your immune system or are old and frail you should be very careful. IMO the sheer panic we are seeing is just not justified. I will be interested in seeing how this evolves when we see the final analysis and numbers I still maintain the death rate will decline not increase as more cases are diagnosed especially among otherwise healthy people

"The death rate is likely to change further as more cases are confirmed, though experts predict that the percentage of deaths will decrease in the longer term since milder cases of COVID-19 are probably going undiagnosed." From the article below:

https://www.sciencealert.com/covid-19-s ... hould-drop

from the same article:

About 80 percent of COVID-19 cases are mild, the research showed, and experts think many mild cases haven't been reported because some people aren't going to the doctor or hospitals for treatment.

Also, the US acted in the end of Jan restricting travel from China https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/31/busi ... virus.html far before most nations did. While perhaps the testing kits were not issued as quickly as possible restricting travel from ground zero of the outbreak most likely helped prevent even more cases. Perhaps if more countries would have acted this quickly the spread would have been slower

JDC222
Demander of Intro Threads
Name: Dave

Post by JDC222 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:36 pm

hoppyjr wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:37 pm
Apparently much of the toilet paper being purchased here, Costco, Save-On etc is being shipped to China, by the purchasers. :shrug:
Whisky has killed more men than bullets, but most men would rather be full of whisky than bullets.
Winston Churchill.

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Post by BBK357 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:08 pm

caesarmascetti wrote:out of the total people that have died, how many were compromised with other health issues?

Same thing with the Flu data.
How many flu deaths are people with compromised immune systems and underlying health issues?
I understand your point- but I also think you’re downplaying this virus. Is it hard to believe that this virus is more deadly than the flu? Why?

And please Jesus- don’t mention it’s an election year- anyone please.
I voted for the almighty trump, and will prob do it again. stop making this virus political. Stop watching the national news and check into your local news once a week.

Are the USA death rates skewed? Of course- testing in the USA is shit right now, and only the very sick are tested. Besides China, N Korea, and Iran, I would not be denying the facts about this virus in other countries. As a healthcare worker, I am very disappointed in the lack of preparedness in this country for any type of outbreak. Please search the article for the nurse who took care of a usa Coronavirus patient, and after she was ill, she requested a test and was told “no, you don’t fit the requirements for who gets tested”. So fuck her and her family, right?

Am I saying go out and buy all the TP, hand sanitizer and beer? Well it’s the USA so go ahead. And throw a case of ammo in your cart while you’re at it.

I went to Walmart the other day for ceiling fan lightbulbs. I installed two new “eco friendly” fan/lights two years ago, LED bulb life stated to be 12 years. 4 out of 8 dead in 2 years. Anyway- I walk into my local Walmart, and right past the greeter, to the left was Clorox spray, antibacterial wipes, and hand sanitizer. And to the right was giant plastic jars of cheese balls and bud light. I’m not joking.
They are totally banking on panic buyers. but it has not hit my area yet.

I hope it’s not bad- but why not prepare, at least a little. Turn off Fox, CNN, msnbc for a week. I think it would do the country some good.
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

streetracer101
Name: Mr Shackleford

Post by streetracer101 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:13 pm

BBK357 wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:08 pm
caesarmascetti wrote:out of the total people that have died, how many were compromised with other health issues?

Same thing with the Flu data.
How many flu deaths are people with compromised immune systems and underlying health issues?
I understand your point- but I also think you’re downplaying this virus. Is it hard to believe that this virus is more deadly than the flu? Why?

And please Jesus- don’t mention it’s an election year- anyone please.
I voted for the almighty trump, and will prob do it again. stop making this virus political. Stop watching the national news and check into your local news once a week.

Are the USA death rates skewed? Of course- testing in the USA is shit right now, and only the very sick are tested. Besides China, N Korea, and Iran, I would not be denying the facts about this virus in other countries. As a healthcare worker, I am very disappointed in the lack of preparedness in this country for any type of outbreak. Please search the article for the nurse who took care of a usa Coronavirus patient, and after she was ill, she requested a test and was told “no, you don’t fit the requirements for who gets tested”. So fuck her and her family, right?

Am I saying go out and buy all the TP, hand sanitizer and beer? Well it’s the USA so go ahead. And throw a case of ammo in your cart while you’re at it.

I went to Walmart the other day for ceiling fan lightbulbs. I installed two new “eco friendly” fan/lights two years ago, LED bulb life stated to be 12 years. 4 out of 8 dead in 2 years. Anyway- I walk into my local Walmart, and right past the greeter, to the left was Clorox spray, antibacterial wipes, and hand sanitizer. And to the right was giant plastic jars of cheese balls and bud light. I’m not joking.
They are totally banking on panic buyers. but it has not hit my area yet.

I hope it’s not bad- but why not prepare, at least a little. Turn off Fox, CNN, msnbc for a week. I think it would do the country some good.
You should've bought the lot of hand sanitizer. People are selling the 39oz bottles for $50 on eBay. I'd cash in on the stupidity. People forget that washing their hands with soap and water is just as effective as alcohol based hand sanitizer.