Hattori NH36?

Discussion of Seiko watches
toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Hattori NH36?

Post by toxicavenger » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:17 pm

Is it really made by Seiko or is it just a replacement movement made by another company?

abuemily
Name: Michael

Re: Hattori NH36?

Post by abuemily » Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:06 pm

My understanding is that it is just an unbranded 4R36. I’ve been known to be wrong, however.

four20
Name: erik

Post by four20 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:29 am

After doing a search, it appears SII may be rebranding itself as Hattori

Sent from my Note8 using Tapatalk

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:52 am

four20 wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:29 am

I can not find a definite answer that it is Seiko

four20

Post by four20 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:57 am

toxicavenger wrote:
four20 wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:29 am

I can not find a definite answer that it is Seiko
I thought I saw a Hattori/ SII listing somewhere on a NH35 movt

four20

Post by four20 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:02 am

I had another look. Both Jules Borel and Esslinger are selling Hattori NH35 and Esslinger says Japan assy. If I remember correctly, SII had shops in Japan, China and Malaysia. Maybe JP assembly gets a Hattori label..?

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:38 pm

four20 wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:02 am
I had another look. Both Jules Borel and Esslinger are selling Hattori NH35 and Esslinger says Japan assy. If I remember correctly, SII had shops in Japan, China and Malaysia. Maybe JP assembly gets a Hattori label..?

No idea. Weird that it would not be cut and dry on whether or not Seiko actually makes them.

CarloDWC
Name: Carlo

Post by CarloDWC » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:37 am

Hattori is the original name of the founder of Seiko. I have seen that some places like Cousins UK for example, have their part number named from what seems to be an Hattori catalog or something like that:

https://www.cousinsuk.com/category/filt ... ment-parts

I can only assume that some parts of the company still uses that name for their catalogs or at least some of the parts.

four20

Post by four20 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:47 am

CarloDWC wrote:Hattori is the original name of the founder of Seiko. I have seen that some places like Cousins UK for example, have their part number named from what seems to be an Hattori catalog or something like that:

I can only assume that some parts of the company still uses that name for their catalogs or at least some of the parts.
Not discounting at all what you're saying Carlo, but I just assumed everyone knew that lol

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:35 pm

four20 wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:47 am
CarloDWC wrote:Hattori is the original name of the founder of Seiko. I have seen that some places like Cousins UK for example, have their part number named from what seems to be an Hattori catalog or something like that:

Not discounting at all what you're saying Carlo, but I just assumed everyone knew that lol

I guess part of my confusion is I can not order it directly from Seiko. I can only find it online at aftermarket parts companies. Some say Seiko / Hattori and some say Hattori. When I order them from my supplier they do not say Seiko at all on them. It makes it seem like they are maybe made by another company as a replacement, not exactly by Seiko.

Does that make sense? :think:

four20

Post by four20 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:04 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
four20 wrote:

I guess part of my confusion is I can not order it directly from Seiko. I can only find it online at aftermarket parts companies. Some say Seiko / Hattori and some say Hattori. When I order them from my supplier they do not say Seiko at all on them. It makes it seem like they are maybe made by another company as a replacement, not exactly by Seiko.

Are you on good terms with Jake? At one time he had contacts inside SII in HK. He might be able to shed some light

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:05 pm

four20 wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:04 pm
toxicavenger wrote:
four20 wrote:

Are you on good terms with Jake? At one time he had contacts inside SII in HK. He might be able to shed some light

No not really. I was with Noah. I guess it isn't really a big deal. Just weird that a movement so many blogs tend to label as a Seiko product I can not buy directly from Seiko. :scratch:

CarloDWC

Post by CarloDWC » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:11 am

toxicavenger wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:35 pm
four20 wrote:

Yes Terry, I think the problem is that Seiko as a company has certain set up lines to sell parts to. I never bought directly myself but definitely used other companies, or people. Maybe it's a matter to get set up as a distributor or something.

I have seen that the following can get at least some parts although I don't know how or where from, I bought from them and I received actual Seiko parts in proper packaging.

Cousins UK
Part Plaza
Duarte
Rob at Monster watch EU
OttoFrei
Esslinger
Chrono24

They don't all have all the parts but they do have some. It depends on what you need one of them might be an option.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:16 pm

CarloDWC wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:11 am
toxicavenger wrote:
four20 wrote:

Yes Terry, I think the problem is that Seiko as a company has certain set up lines to sell parts to. I never bought directly myself but definitely used other companies, or people. Maybe it's a matter to get set up as a distributor or something.

I have seen that the following can get at least some parts although I don't know how or where from, I bought from them and I received actual Seiko parts in proper packaging.

Cousins UK
Part Plaza
Duarte
Rob at Monster watch EU
OttoFrei
Esslinger
Chrono24

They don't all have all the parts but they do have some. It depends on what you need one of them might be an option.
Thanks for the info. The people you mention about also have a Seiko parts account like my watchmaker does. So I can get some Seiko parts from Seiko. I was just wondering why that the Hattori movement is such a mystery. Seiko does not seem claim ownership of it and I can not order one from Seiko. Getting one is not an issue, lack of info was. :thumbsup:

CarloDWC

Post by CarloDWC » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:33 am

toxicavenger wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:16 pm
CarloDWC wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:11 am
toxicavenger wrote:
four20 wrote:

Cousins UK
Part Plaza
Duarte
Rob at Monster watch EU
OttoFrei
Esslinger
Chrono24

Thanks for the info. The people you mention about also have a Seiko parts account like my watchmaker does. So I can get some Seiko parts from Seiko. I was just wondering why that the Hattori movement is such a mystery. Seiko does not seem claim ownership of it and I can not order one from Seiko. Getting one is not an issue, lack of info was. :thumbsup:
I don't know but I think that maybe there are two sub-divisions, one for Seiko branded watches and parts for repair and one for Seiko parts used for other brands. the NH36 is after all a movement NOT using in Seiko watches. Seiko watches use Seiko Branded movement, even if they are made in the same physical factory.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:36 am

CarloDWC wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:33 am
I don't know but I think that maybe there are two sub-divisions, one for Seiko branded watches and parts for repair and one for Seiko parts used for other brands. the NH36 is after all a movement NOT using in Seiko watches. Seiko watches use Seiko Branded movement, even if they are made in the same physical factory.
The NE15 also doesn't have any Seiko labeling.

I agree there might be two different divisions, the lack info seems weird though. And there is no way I can tell someone that a movement is from Seiko without actually knowing if the info is correct. :salute:

Thanks for the feedback :thumbsup:

CarloDWC

Post by CarloDWC » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:30 am

toxicavenger wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:36 am
CarloDWC wrote:

I agree there might be two different divisions, the lack info seems weird though. And there is no way I can tell someone that a movement is from Seiko without actually knowing if the info is correct. :salute:

Hey Terry, here is a bit more data on the branding and names for these movements.

https://calibercorner.com/seiko-caliber-nh35a/

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:00 am

CarloDWC wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:30 am
toxicavenger wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:36 am
CarloDWC wrote:

Hey Terry, here is a bit more data on the branding and names for these movements.

https://calibercorner.com/seiko-caliber-nh35a/
Thanks for the info. :salute: