Resco Patriot: Thoughts and Photos of the Grey Dial/SS

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
homathetes
Name: Andrew

Resco Patriot: Thoughts and Photos of the Grey Dial/SS

Post by homathetes » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:13 pm

Hello Dwc'ers! I'm grateful for the warm welcome I'm receiving in the main forum, and have been asked to posted my thoughts on my Resco Patriot. I've posted on this topic on WUS already, but rather than just reposting here, I decided to take some more pics and add fresh thoughts...but there is some crossover :bootyshake: . Also, I've had the watch for little over a week, so this is all $.02, as I'm still on teh honeymoon.

The carefully designed case and painted dial are the highlights of this watch, in short.
The Patriot's case is milled, and generally modern in dive watch design, with it's best features distinctly utilitarian. It has fairly short lugs, despite appearing long due I think to the outside line of the lugs. The inside line of the lugs curve inward on the sides, creating a nice curve when viewed directly from under the lugs. The short lugs could be a problem for fat straps (haven't tried), but this watch is for natos. This is due of course to the cut nato channels in the side of the case and a recessed caseback.

On my 7 inch wrist it wears tall, but thanks to the careful design elements mentioned, the watch is balanced, noticeably more so than the microbrew ~44mm divers I've owned (LM-6 and Helson SD for example), as well as the more similarly sized UTS 500m. Because of the cnc'ed case and amagnetic cage (which consist of an amagnetic dial & back plate and cylinder good for 80000 A/m), the watch is heavy, but not wildly so, and I've found can be worn all day without my wrist getting worn out. The 20mm lug size looks better on the watch IRL, and because the watch dosn't flop at all, isn't a problem in my book.
The bezel has Marathon-like wide notches. They are very grippable without being total overkill. The 120 click bezel has a firm metallic click. It compares the closest in feel to my old Breitling SO Pro, which of course was only a 60 clicker, so on the Resco the ratchets are shorter. The bezel turns easily but not loosely, more easily than the Helson SD and waaay easier than my Bluering (which is so tight I think it's a flaw of construction). The feel does not oust the UTS 500m for having the best feeling bezel action of the 'brews I've handeled.

The #'s on the bezel are deeply engraved and crisp. It's a clean look which dovetails IMO with the indices on the dial and the recesses on the bezel. Hate as people do the choice of a countdown bezel, I've come to think it plays a significant role in tying the design together. :think: The huge lume dot looks great and again ties the bezel design more firmly to the dial, but I am concerned that when it falls out some time in the distant future it will really be a gaping hole. Hopefully LT and Resco will be around for that fix. :pray:
The crown is nicely machined, obviously grippable, and is complimented by some handsome looking crown-protector casework. I wish the trident on the crown was engraved deeper as the #'s on the bezel are. It threads soundly and with no wobble (), but I have found that the Benarus Moray I and my Breits both had a smoother, finer feel. When winding the movement, there are clicks in the distinctive Slav manner which is kinda cool. :geek:
The finishing on the case is top-notch amongst the 'brews I've owned, and dare I say, even comparable to the all brushed Breits I've had in the past. All the edges are crisp without being too sharp (another problem with my LM-6) For an example of nice finishing, the outside of the bezel notches are slightly more polished and horizontally brushed vs. the inside of the notches which are vertically brushed (poorly captured above). The brushing, however, is not as deep or rich as the Omegas I've owned. the finish on my 2254.50 was amongst the best I've seen (for watches under 1.5k).

The lugs have hex bars, which I initially wasn't fired up about...but they are growing on me. I've found it's noticeably easier to remove the bars stably, lowering the risk of annoying lug scratches. I changes straps all the time, so this could be a big deal in the long run. Also, since I posted the above pic of the wabi'd screws on WUS, Resco got in touch and offered to send some fresh ones scotch free...nice! :lol:
The crystal has a tall dome and the bezel is steeped inline with the curve: a nice Koboldian touch. You are probably thinking this doesn't look like a double AR coated crystal-- and you're absolutely right! The first thing I did with this watch was remove the outer AR coating which was sadly already awfully scratched. Here's a pre-removal pic:
I think it looks better now! :roll: The dial is less clouded, the grey color comes out better (it really looked purplish to me before), and, surprisingly, the lume seems a bit more perky (perhaps the initial charge is simply more noticeable with a clearer crystal). There is indeed more reflection on the crystal but it is more than manageable with the inner AR and better than the alternative. I hear that Resco is stocking single side coated crystals, and for someone buying new, I'd recommend it.
:koolaid: alert: I love the dial. Totally readable, printed very crisply. The famous Lum-Tec uber thick lume lives up to it's fanfare and it's frankly gorgeous IMO. Its so thick as to almost appear domed and is a bit glossy. I chose the grey dial because I think the grey color balances the very loud large Brand/Model text and huge indices. For some reason the look on the whole seems to blend better to me with this color combination and the ss case. It will certainly present some challenges as far as strap selection goes, but after having a ton of black dialed divers, I think it will be fun. The grey is various shades in different lights, and still a bit purplish when the AR is visible (occasionally). One quibble: the depth rating does not appear perfectly centered under "Patriot," which is either my imagination, or a genuine mistake. Here is a lume shot:
Basically I think it's a Lum-Tec blend of bgw9, which is pretty but not a bright as C3 SL. While I like the hour and minute hands design and size wise, I do wonder why they had to be a different color than the dial (they are Lt's version c3 SL I think). The trident second hand is cool in my book, but I wish there was lume on the second hand (which clicks at a even but slow 18000 bpm), I don't see why that couldn't have been done. All and all, it stays lumed for a long time with the amount applied, but it's not blinding.

Final thoughts/questions: I've not discussed the Slava 2427 movement choice (http://www.christophlorenz.de/watch/mov ... 7.php?l=en), because good info is out there. Rob of Resco has argued extensively on WUS that this movement is more robust that ETA alternatives. The Patriot is accordingly a no-date because the function is apparently the movement's weakness. Personally I buy it, and don't mind the movement at all (it will surely be the only diver I will have running one). Of course, on the downside, the movement is a plain as they come and is a low beat mover.

One good question I don't know the answer to is the source of the cases. Of course, if design and finish all check off, then the question is somewhat esoteric; nevertheless if it turned out to be a Frickers or Swiss case, I'm sure that would be an added factor to the oft-disputed value quotient. Giving a similar quality of finishing to what I've seen on the Kobold AD, and Resco's know connection to Kobold, I wonder if the case is sourced from the same place? :think:

The CS from Resco has lastly been outstanding. They have been friendly and encouraging since I first got in touch, When I let Resco know I had found one used, they were enthusiastic and congratulatory and said they are happy to help if the watch ever needs repairs, offered a discount on straps, and even to swap dials for cheap if I ever wanted.

And lastly: I think it's totally badass to have a watch built and tested in CA! :headbang: I hope the resurrection of USA watchmaking is further precipitated by these small companies.

So there you go, thanks for reading!

smalls
Name: Matt

Re: Resco Patriot: Thoughts and Photos of the Grey Dial/SS

Post by smalls » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:19 pm

Thanks for the write up Andrew. Those Resco's are sweet looking pieces. Been debating on one for the past few days.

manitoujoe
Name: Mark

Post by manitoujoe » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:08 pm

Wow. This is my favorite version seen so far. Really nice. Love it.
Some people just have a way with words, and other people … oh … not have way.

Steve Martin

cali kid
Unabomber impersonator
Name: Trevor

Post by cali kid » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:27 pm

Great review, thank you :cheers: Cant wait until Donna has the Resco and to hear her thoughts on how the watch compares to her Kobold! :salute:
Image Image Image
Trevor

GregNYC
Name: Greg

Post by GregNYC » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:29 pm

Thanks for all the time and care you took for this review. It's got me thinking!!!!!

dshap
Favorite shirt size: Schmedium.
Name: David

Post by dshap » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:00 pm

Thanks for the great review :thumbsup:

That watch sounds really nice, but I didn't realize it didn't have an ETA movement. The case and dial are great looking.
-David

SCM64
Global Mod/Sinn fanboy

Post by SCM64 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:08 pm

Excellent write up and nice pics also. Love the vertical brushing in the case (ala IWC). :cheers:
Steven

Sexually Desirable RockStar Moderator

Tragic

Post by Tragic » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:23 pm

A good looking watch and very capable review. :thumbsup:
Any theories how/why the outer AR coating scratched so badly so quickly?

moishlashen
Name: Leu Sanis

Post by moishlashen » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:35 pm

This watch has me looking long and hard at it with the whole USA connection. Definately dig that. Its a cool piece no doubt and perfect candidate for my so called "beater" watch-yanno the one I mow the lawn in, bike in, work out in etc. Nice size also-I've been liking the non-huge watches so 42mm is perfect and I like some height on a smaller watch.

The slower beat movements are typically workhorses that last forever-Like the 6309 which also runs at same beat rate. All in all I'm going to be keeping my eyes peeled for one to pop up on sales corner.

Great review also. :salute:

edit: oops 6309 runs at 21600

"I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude."

dichro chrono

Post by dichro chrono » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:42 pm

Thanks for the detailed review!! :thumbsup:

The grey dial is just awesome! It needs to be an option on more watches. Also, I love the assembled in the states factor.

But.. I gotta say.. for $1365 I'd be F'n pissed by the scratches in the AR/crystal! :cussing: There's not much in the features of this watch to dictate such a high price tag, so you'd think a good chunk of that would go toward QC. I wonder how that would've happened.

Was there any kind of protection on the crystal/case when it arrived?

homathetes

Post by homathetes » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:53 pm

I got the watch used so the scratches are from a previous owner (who didn't disclose the scratches in the WUS sales post :bs: ). Fortunately I paid $850 out the door so the price was right. I'm pretty sure QC is careful on Resco's end as only 300 Patriots are going to be released this run. The watch came in a nice UK made Pelican case (no pics sorry) and was plenty protected.
dichro chrono wrote:Thanks for the detailed review!! :thumbsup:

The grey dial is just awesome! It needs to be an option on more watches. Also, I love the assembled in the states factor.

But.. I gotta say.. for $1365 I'd be F'n pissed by the scratches in the AR/crystal! :cussing: There's not much in the features of this watch to dictate such a high price tag, so you'd think a good chunk of that would go toward QC. I wonder how that would've happened.

Was there any kind of protection on the crystal/case when it arrived?

dichro chrono

Post by dichro chrono » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:58 pm

Gotcha! In that case.. nice grab!!! :clap:

That's right around where they should be priced.

:cheers:

caesarmascetti

Post by caesarmascetti » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:04 pm

seems they've switched to inner A/R only according to their spec's:

RDP09S-BL
Case
Surgical Grade 316L Stainless Steel
Brushed Finish
Inner case made from non-ferrous material (cylinder, back plate, dial plate) for Anti-magnetism.

Movement
RW-2427 Automatic Self Winding
27 Jewels
Integrated shock resistance system
Glucydur Balance
Three Arm Integrated shock protection
40+ hour power reserve
Twin Barrel Mainspring
18,000 beats per hour

Functions
Hours, Minutes, Seconds
12 hour bezel for a second time zone and use as an elapsed timer

Dimensions
42 mm Diameter bezel end to bezel end 50 mm lug end to lug end 20 mm lug width (width between lugs / strap width) 13 mm height overall
Crystal Extra thick Sapphire (scratch-proof), domed, blue tint anti-reflective coating (inside only)

Crown
Screw-locked, signed.

Bezel
120-clicks, rotating, unidirectional (counter-clockwise) bezel with12 hr GMT feature.

Case back
Stainless steel, engraved and screw locked with double O-rings.

Straps
Each watch comes with 1 custom nylon strap with beefy buckle (Desert Green, Brown, Royal Blue, Grey or Black). 1 Exotic skin strap of your choice (Buffalo, Tan Gator, Brown Gator or Black Gator) and also 1 Black Kevlar-Style Composite Professional Divers Strap. Stainless steel and/or PVD hardware option for nylon and exotic skin straps. Included with straps is a wrench to change out straps. Upon checkout, our customer service center will contact you for your strap options.

Each Patriot will be delivered in a sturdy pelican style box that includes the Patriot watch, straps, strap changing wrench, founders pin and warranty card.

Ratings
Water Resistant 200 meters (660 ft with crown screwed down); anti-magnetic (80,000 a/m); shock resistant; pressure-proof to 100 atmospheres.

YOHOHO
Dirty Closet Hinderer Whore
Name: Josh

Post by YOHOHO » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:54 pm

Thanks for the review! I really like that .... I wish I would have pulled the trigger on the pre order... Congrats!

slivver71
Ashy Little Guy
Name: Cisco Kid

Post by slivver71 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:05 pm

great pics man! i need one of those in the future...
My present team:
1. My Family
2. Breitling Ti Chrono Avenger
3. Seiko Green Willard
4. Orient Triton

demer03
Current Forecast: Vintage Doxa
Name: Mike

Post by demer03 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:12 pm

Nice solid piece! Thank you for the write up.
Old Michigan steams like a young man's dreams
The islands and bays are for sportsmen

sinner
Closet Baller
Name: Sum Ting Wong

Post by sinner » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:48 pm

Nice review. Great pics. Love the lume shot. Glad you got it at a good price (though I'd have been pissed about the scratches in the outer AR - seems that it came off without a hitch, though). How accurate has the watch been for you?

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:38 pm

Great review and I have looked at the Resco plenty of times but I need a watch with a date window. Also pricing is a big concern for me since it needs to be price around 750-900 mark IMO. Now I don't think the watch has many ties with Kobold, I think Lumtec was the one who helped make this watch. :thumbsup: But Smitty doesn't want to reveal to much on where his parts come from. :scratch:

If they put a Top Grade ETA movt. in this watch I think more people would have purchased them.

Oh and your pics kick ass bro! :love:

GGD

Post by GGD » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:43 am

Great review Andy!! Your pics are AWESOME :clap:

I'm seriously hanging out for my Patriot to arrive.... just checked the tracking & it seems as though my Patriot is enjoying a little R&R in Hawaii on it's way Down Under :lol:

homathetes

Post by homathetes » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:30 am

Thanks Don! It should be a nice compliment to your AD Tac! I would love to hear your thoughts and some comparo pics when it arrives :drool:
GGD wrote:Great review Andy!! Your pics are AWESOME :clap:

I'm seriously hanging out for my Patriot to arrive.... just checked the tracking & it seems as though my Patriot is enjoying a little R&R in Hawaii on it's way Down Under :lol:

Seth
Guy who shoots guns

Post by Seth » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:29 pm

Here's what I found RE: Resco. This was posted on Wuss last year. Based on what Chris Weigand lets on to, we can assume that Resco is also "globally sourced"
From Chris about Lum Tec:
Are all the components manufactured in various parts of the world? Yes. Components are from Switzerland, Germany, Hong Kong, USA, Russia, and Japan.

Are any components manufactured in the USA? Yes. Coatings, platings, some seals, some straps, round bezels, and some dials we make by hand here. We also do some movement finishing and prototyping (CNC) here as well.

RESCO Watch. An introduction.

Hello WUS Dive Watch forum. I guess I should have introduced myself PRIOR to having my banners posted up. I did not mean to have such a lag time between my banners and introduction. Here are a few things about myself and my company:

I was raised in Western Washington State and got into clocks and watches after my father gave me a Chelsea 24hr submarine clock, I was 10. It was broken and my father and I fixed it as a father son project. I was hooked ever since. I joined the US Navy at 18 and went to BUD/s thereafter. Spent years as a door kicker and then filled an instructor role. I will be going back to a Team soon after my first run of watches comes out and will have to deal with the logistical nightmare of shipping my watches while on assignment....Don't worry, I have a plan!

I had been interested in starting my own watch company for many years but had little time in my busy "non-watch related" schedule to do so. Enter Mike Kobold. I have known Mike for a long time. Every time we would hang out and or train for his Everest Expedition he would push me to get off my lazy butt and get going on my company, I finally folded. I had a small window of time and with a measure of Mike's mentorship, I was able to get this far somewhat on my own. I sold a portion of my sizable watch collection against my will and put some money into production. No outside investors.

The design is 100% RESCO. No off the shelf or stock cases. I worked closely with Chris Wiegand of Lum Tec watches in the design and manufacture of my cases. I toured his facility and was quite impressed with the quality of work his company was able to provide in regard to cases and dial lume. And Chris is a heck of a nice guy to boot.

I read some questions and concerns about the movement that I would like to address. YES, the movement is a Slava S-2427. Since, as some of you super sleuth smart guys have noticed, the dial is lacking the date feature that would normally be present on the 2427. I have chosen to have that part removed to simplify things. These movements are vintage NOS movements were chosen over an ETA-28XX after EXTENSIVE field testing in some pretty bumpy environments. I found that the only way I was able to stop the beat was to actually TRY and break the watch. In a nutshell, A RESCO Patriot prototype has been through every Phase of Navy SEAL training, to include Hellweek and came out ticking away. As we speak that same prototype is being vetted in the advanced training blocks at the Advanced Team level. It is scratched to hell but I'm not losing any sleep over the durability.....It'll be fine; the Patriot can take care of its self. I don't know of ANY OTHER company that can say this about their watches. But then again, I don't know of any other SEALs that design, build and test their products in an actual operational environment.

So, when you add up the cost to import, clean, assemble, modify and adjust an otherwise perfectly tough movement....I may as well opted for the ETA 28XX for a few dollars more (and I almost did!). But then I stepped back and looked at my objective. The S-2427 fit the bill. Not that I am saying my movement is far superior when it comes to beat, looks or sustained accuracy it has more of the attributes that I was requiring and held as a priority. Such as durability, dependability and longevity in regards to service intervals. As one of you pointed out, this little movement has tenacity and will function like an AK-47. I was not trying to be deceptive by calling it a RW-2427 when it was based S-2427......watch companies do it all the time when they modify ETAs. I will be changing my verbiage and adding more on why this movement was selected. The take away from this paragraph is that a great deal of thought and testing went into the movement selection. Hopefully that thought and testing will be reflected in the wearer’s movement servicing bills down the road.

Yes... to some my watch will look like a Kobold Arctic Diver. And to others it will look A LOT like the AD. I have always been a huge fan of Mike's work and would be full of BS if I said I was not influenced by the designs of his watches. Just like Mike was influenced by Helmut Sinn and Helmut Sinn was influenced by the cockpit clocks in his aircraft. That aircraft clock designer was influenced by......bla.....bla....bla.....SUNDIAL....bla...bl a...CAVEMAN STARING AT THE SUN.
Mike is fully aware of the status of my company (he was instrumental in helping me get started...). And I have even aided in the design of some of HIS upcoming models. I don't think he minds if my watch has subtle differences to his great design like: The bezel notches, the angled lugs the enlarged indices and triangle 12 0'clock marker. Let's not forget about the enlarged crown, crown lugs and substantial size difference. Oh wait....those are different. But I still managed to capture the essence of what I liked about Mike's design and made it fit my unique company's needs.

I hope I have answered some of your questions without pissing too many people off in the process. If I have offended anyone, please feel free to let me know. I have a tendency to get right to the root of an issue with the grace of a 800 lb water buffalo and I ALWAYS put my foot in my mouth and say the wrong thing to the wrong people at the wrong time...it's uncanny. On the flipside, I have VERY thick skin.

Take aways:

1.Bio.....................................Check!

2.Movement...........................Check!

3.Similar to the AD...................Check!

4.Testing and Vetting...............Check!

5.Thick Skin............................Check! X2

6.Enjoy talking about my watch and hearing your thoughts on my company..............................Check!

Thank you for your time and I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

R.E. Smith
RESCO Instruments

homathetes

Post by homathetes » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:56 pm

Good post! I've PM'ed Rob at Resco to see if I can get more details on the case. :think:

T.R.
TRTV!
Name: Tommy Tutone

Post by T.R. » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:48 pm

Great looking watch.
Very TOUGH.

Great photos, and a great review.

My U1 has hex screws in the links. I love the way the hex head wrench does not slip out of place and cause scratches. Kudos to RESCO for this set up in the spring bar area.

:thumbsup:
unixshrk wrote: I'll put it on a nice NATO for you. :shifty:

dukerules

Post by dukerules » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:11 pm

The more I see, the more I like.

bloozy
Name: The Lorax

Post by bloozy » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:16 pm

A great review by the OP and a good looking watch

I have a question that may be a bit off topic.

You removed the outer AR coating. Did you do this yourself? In the time I have spent in this hobby I have heard several people detail their experiences and methods of removing the outer coating. Would you mind sharing your method with us too? Thanks.

Cheers!
Regards, Leo

No tick without its tock.

Collection:
Omega Planet Ocean 45.5, Quantum of Solace LE
{some others}