Timeless in Texas

Discussion of Omega watches.
hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Timeless in Texas

Post by hoppyjr » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:12 pm

I had a strange experience with someone there just now. I was checking on a Seamaster for price & availability, and spoke to a guy with what sounded like a New York accent. I didn’t get his name.

He quoted me MSRP when I asked for his best price on the piece in question. When I asked again he offered 8% discount. I’m not sure what changed but they used to offer much better pricing. It certainly sounds like they don’t want my business.

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Re: Timeless in Texas

Post by matt.wu » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:25 pm

Discounts definitely vary depending on what you're inquiring about. Case in point, Rolex.
:htfu:

the_time_cop
Name: Ariel

Post by the_time_cop » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:58 pm

Want me to ask Toppers?

hoppyjr
HJ

Timeless in Texas

Post by hoppyjr » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:23 pm

matt.wu wrote:Discounts definitely vary depending on what you're inquiring about. Case in point, Rolex.
I do understand that, but this was a regular production Omega that is commonly discounted. The entire interaction was unlike my experiences there in the past.

the_time_cop wrote:Want me to ask Toppers?
Already done, but thanks. Rob is always the best.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:28 pm

Haven’t AD Omega prices gotten tighter since they’ve started selling through their own boutiques?

pbj204
Name: Paul

Post by pbj204 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:36 pm

Not too long ago 20-30% was possible. Jomashop still has plenty of popular Omegas at >30% off MSRP.

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Post by Chocodove » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:53 pm

I almost bought a brand new PO 8900 for around $4.3k from Joma last night. They list on eBay as well, which currently has 0% for 24 months with PP credit on purchases over $600. Say what you will about credit, but I’ll take someone else’s money at 0% for two years all day long.
- Todd

gr8sw
Name: Pedro

Post by gr8sw » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:17 pm

maybe you talked to the wrong salesperson, or the guy was a mook noob? :lol:

there's always Hoodwinkee now who's an official Omega AD... sure to be deals there :roll:
‘I don’t worry about a thing, 'cause I know nothing’s gonna be alright’ Mose Allison

logan2z
IT Admin
Name: Andrew

Post by logan2z » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:50 pm

gr8sw wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:17 pm
there's always Hoodwinkee now who's an official Omega AD... sure to be deals there :roll:
I think the days of ADs and their discounts are numbered. Online and boutique-only sales are the future. Have you noticed that many new watches from the big brands can only be purchased online at their e-commerce sites?

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:01 pm

logan2z wrote:
gr8sw wrote:
I think the days of ADs and their discounts are numbered. Online and boutique-only sales are the future. Have you noticed that many new watches from the big brands can only be purchased online at their e-commerce sites?
Likely this will become the norm.

It’s not so much the pricing, but the approach that was off-putting. The price certainly wasn’t acceptable, but the “well tell me what you want to pay” kind of approach reminded me of a car dealership, circa 1990.

blkgsl
Herro!!!
Name: blkgsl

Post by blkgsl » Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:38 pm

logan2z wrote:
gr8sw wrote:
Yep. And the higher the price, the quicker they will move to this model. A controlled experience is quickly becoming the definition of a luxury experience.

hidden by leaves
Name: Anthony

Post by hidden by leaves » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:01 am

logan2z wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:50 pm
gr8sw wrote:
But how will I get my "I can pay cash" discount then??? :scratch:

Send lawyers, guns and money...

BacoNoir
Name: Roger

Post by BacoNoir » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:55 am

I’ve visited the store three times in person and established a personal relationship there. Now I can call and tell them what I want and what I think the market price is and they accept or counter.

I don’t think the days of establishing personal relationships is dead yet.
www.simplynoble.net
Time Magazine Person of the Year - 2006

abuemily
Name: Michael

Post by abuemily » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:20 pm

I’ve purchased 3 watches from them over the past few years, and when I bought the Tudor GMT this year (granted, high demand watch) I wasn’t offered any kind of break—on it or extra straps. Wasn’t really bothered by it, but I don’t think I’ll make any effort to purchase from them in the future, as I can do better at a local shop. I’d enquired recently about a couple of different, less popular models and was quoted MSRP. My previous experiences made me feel like I had a personal relationship. Not anymore.

What was of more concern to me, however, was a recent experience with my wife’s nephew: he was looking for an anniversary present for his wife—A Nomos Club—and I put him in contact with Anna. She said she could get the watch, but had to pay up front, which he did. 3 weeks later she wrote him to say they couldn’t get the watch and offered a different model. 2 weeks later she informed him that they could not get that watch either. Then went silent. He finally contacted them to say he wanted his money back. My personal opinion is one doesn’t ask for money up front without knowing the watch is available. He eventually did get a refund, but not the best CS I’ve ever seen. I think perhaps they have outgrown the need for CS they used to have.

abuemily
Name: Michael

Post by abuemily » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:13 pm

Seppia wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:39 pm
Tangent:

I had a similar experience while trying to buy a handwound Nomos club with two separate vendors (one in Europe, one in Hong Kong).

Maybe it’s just that Nomos is low on stock on this particular sku and it’s hard getting one.
I completely understand that, it was demanding payment up front and THEN looking for the watch. I can understand not ordering it unless it’s paid for in advance. And the lengthy delays and poor communication. I felt bad because I recommended Timeless (and ultimately he found the watch locally, but had to wait for a refund in order to purchase it).

I don’t want to turn this into a Timeless bash, but it appears with success has come less of a focus on happy customers. In my own case, I have been looking to purchase another Tudor, but I will no longer go to Timeless with my request.

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:33 am

abuemily wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:13 pm
Seppia wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:39 pm
Tangent:

I had a similar experience while trying to buy a handwound Nomos club with two separate vendors (one in Europe, one in Hong Kong).

Maybe it’s just that Nomos is low on stock on this particular sku and it’s hard getting one.
I completely understand that, it was demanding payment up front and THEN looking for the watch. I can understand not ordering it unless it’s paid for in advance. And the lengthy delays and poor communication. I felt bad because I recommended Timeless (and ultimately he found the watch locally, but had to wait for a refund in order to purchase it).

I don’t want to turn this into a Timeless bash, but it appears with success has come less of a focus on happy customers. In my own case, I have been looking to purchase another Tudor, but I will no longer go to Timeless with my request.
I agree with you on this. If the model was a special order, then I could see asking for a deposit ($500 or similar). If the model was just a hard to acquire, but normally stocked model, then a deposit shouldn’t be required at all (unless the buyer wished to absolutely secure the watch).

Requiring 100% prepay sounds more like the actions of a micro than an established retailer.

If the model proved unavailable, the the deposit should be immediately offered for return.