Strapcode Expandable Clasp Review

Discussion of straps and bracelets.
Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Strapcode Expandable Clasp Review

Post by Ryeguy » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:20 am

The discussion on Sinn clasps earlier got me thinking about trying one of those expanding clasps, so I thought I’d put a little review out for anyone else interested.

I bought the 18mm version for my 20mm BC300 strap that I run on my Squale 50 ATMOS.

Installing the clasp was no problem. Strapcode includes spring bars for the clasp ends.

The clasp appears well made and the engine turning is a nice finishing touch.

The clasp is LONG though. The stock / basic flip lock clasp on the BC 300 strap is about 30mm in length. The Strapcode clasp is about 45mm in length.

My wrist is about 7 inches in diameter and I had to cut the BC 300 to its shortest length. The Squale 50 ATMOS has a fairly short lug to lug measurement of about 49mm. I’m not certain I could run this clasp and strap combo on a watch with a lug to lug of greater than 50mm. I would definitely not recommend this clasp for anyone with a wrist less than 7 inches.

Here are some photos.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

four20
Name: erik

Re: Strapcode Expandable Clasp Review

Post by four20 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:31 am

That looks enormous lol

Sent from my Note8 using Tapatalk

Ryeguy

Post by Ryeguy » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:56 am

four20 wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:31 am
That looks enormous lol

Sent from my Note8 using Tapatalk
That's what she said :dance:

It is $62.99 worth of awesomeness!!! :gayumbrella:

In all honesty, the clasp length really isn't noticeable on the wrist.

The main difference between this and say the MM300 clasp is the MM300 hides the extension bulk under the clasp and within the fold out hinged joint. While you end up with a "normal" looking flip lock in the MM300, in both cases you still end up with a long non-flexible section of metal under the wrist. I don't think there really is a way to hide these kinds of ratcheting extensions.

Between the two, however, I prefer the Seiko solution.

I don't regret buying it, but I'm also not going to run out and purchase another.

I tend to wear my watches under my wetsuit cuff when surfing in the summer months (so I don't smash them on the board) and in the winter months when I wear the watch outside the wetsuit I prefer the security of a NATO. I'm not even certain I could extend this clasp enough to fit over a 5mm winter suit, and certainly not enough to fit over a 5mm suit combined with the cuff of my mittens or gloves.

So, in summary, I think this clasp is better than those fixed length fold out extensions, but worse than the Seiko MM300 extension, and fairly pointless for actual diving use where a rubber "accordion" style strap would likely be more effective. If your wrist swells quite a bit, I could see the value, but otherwise it is a $62 conversation piece.

Ryeguy

Post by Ryeguy » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:10 am

Just to add, according to a old review I found on WUS, the Rolex Glidelock clasp is also 45mm in length, so the same as this Strapcode. It just goes to show there really is no "free lunch" in the expanding clasp game.

Another point regarding my observation of the clasp length being not really noticeable is even the basic stock flip lock clasp from the BC300 strap is 43mm long when closed (including the folded bit that is under the strap).

Very little of this Strapcode clasp extends under the wrist when closed, so there is little difference in how the clasps feel.

Now I'm curious as to the length of the Tudor Pelagos clasp. I'd bet it is also around 45mm in length.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:43 am

A lot of microbrands are using this exact style of clasp on their watches. I dislike them quite a bit. I have a 7 1/4 wrist and they fell like I am wearing a wheel balance weight on the bottom of my wrist.

1954Selmer
Name: RC

Post by 1954Selmer » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:57 am

That looks like super quality for $63.00. Thanks for posting.

Ryeguy

Post by Ryeguy » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:59 am

toxicavenger wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:43 am
A lot of microbrands are using this exact style of clasp on their watches. I dislike them quite a bit. I have a 7 1/4 wrist and they fell like I am wearing a wheel balance weight on the bottom of my wrist.
The only micro I have experienced with a similar clasp was Helson on their Sharkmaster 300, but that clasp was definitely different (although it functioned in a similar manner). The Helson version of the clasp actually offered three micro adjustment spring bar positions in addition to the expansion area, so in that regard it was arguably a better design.

I was lucky and got a good fit with this one as it has no micro adjustment holes.

As for the size, again, all expanding clasps like this seem to be about the same size at 45mm in length - Rolex, Sinn, Strapcode, etc. If you don't like one, you probably won't like any of them.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:25 pm

Ryeguy wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:59 am
toxicavenger wrote:
The only micro I have experienced with a similar clasp was Helson on their Sharkmaster 300, but that clasp was definitely different (although it functioned in a similar manner). The Helson version of the clasp actually offered three micro adjustment spring bar positions in addition to the expansion area, so in that regard it was arguably a better design.

I was lucky and got a good fit with this one as it has no micro adjustment holes.

As for the size, again, all expanding clasps like this seem to be about the same size at 45mm in length - Rolex, Sinn, Strapcode, etc. If you don't like one, you probably won't like any of them.
its one of the new hot things the wis crowd is asking for. that with lumed crowns, and limed sapphire bezels. :crybaby:

Ryeguy

Post by Ryeguy » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:34 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:25 pm
Ryeguy wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:

its one of the new hot things the wis crowd is asking for. that with lumed crowns, and limed sapphire bezels. :crybaby:
FWIW, I think the Rolex version is the most elegant and the MM300 version the most practical / easy to use. The are all still long clasps though.

I thought lumed sapphire bezel inserts looked good until I saw Lex had his fail on his Borealis due to water getting under the sapphire. I know he dives quite a bit, but it goes to show nothing is perfectly sealed if soaked long enough.
Last edited by Ryeguy on Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:37 pm

Ryeguy wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:34 pm
toxicavenger wrote:
Ryeguy wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:

FWIW, I think the Rolex version is the most elegant and the MM300 version the most practical / easy to use. The are all still a long clasps though.

I thought lumed sapphire bezel inserts looked good until I saw Lex had his fail on his Borealis due to water getting under the sapphire. I know he dives quite a bit, but it goes to show nothing is perfectly sealed if soaked long enough.
for me it is the excessive glare when used at night with all of the lume and the thought of chipping the sapphire. the crown also adds to the glare and makes a watch illegible in a quick glance

mfxr
Name: MattF

Post by mfxr » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:42 pm

It is like the Doxa 5000t clasp.
I bought one with the Crafter Blue MM300 strap, but I found that where the strap connects to the clasp on one side, it would pivot almost in a perpendicular way rather than feeding out of the clasp in a linear way, so I found it did not work at all for me with this strap. I guess it would depend on the stiffness of the strap, size of wrist etc. It felt pretty solidly constructed though.

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire
Name: Paul

Post by deepcdvr » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:29 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:37 pm
Ryeguy wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:34 pm
toxicavenger wrote:
Ryeguy wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:

FWIW, I think the Rolex version is the most elegant and the MM300 version the most practical / easy to use. The are all still a long clasps though.

for me it is the excessive glare when used at night with all of the lume and the thought of chipping the sapphire. the crown also adds to the glare and makes a watch illegible in a quick glance
Aluminum > sapphire bezel every day :thumbsup:
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:04 pm

deepcdvr wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:29 pm
same here. we are a small majority though. all of the trendy kids want sapphire.

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire
Name: Paul

Post by deepcdvr » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:58 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:04 pm
deepcdvr wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:29 pm
same here. we are a small majority though. all of the trendy kids want sapphire.
Yeah, I understand the sapphire craze - I used to marvel at my sub-c’s - it’s bad ass technology that is really beautiful and basically scratch proof. My issue is that I would never actually do anything that might cause trauma to the watch for fear of having to dump a zillion bucks into a replacement and the bezels are just too blingy for me; I like a matte finish.

What do I know, tho.. I’m not a real WIS :shrug:
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM