INCOMING!!! Longines Czech Aviators "Tartarugone" WWII Watch.

A place to discuss vintage watches.
WatchTimes
Name: Jeremy

Post by WatchTimes » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:29 am

OK
Hope this is ok as it is not a dive watch but a Pilots watch.
Longines Czech Aviators "Tartarugone" WWII Watch.

This is the rarest of the three series. It is the second series which was only run briefly
The first series had the 15.94 movement with enamel dials, the second series used the 15.26 with enamel dials and the third series was the 15.68 with metal dials. The second series was a short run as they realized the enamel dials were delicate and the 15.26 was fairly ornate and gold plated. Due to the recession and cost.
When IWC released the Vintage Pilot I really fell for it but I did not LOVE how it fit my smaller wrist for the price point. I figured at that price I should consider something vintage, while I would not wear the IWC or a vintage a lot Id be more accepting of the size with something that actually had history. I had a hard time, most watches from that era are smaller than I like. So I just kept looking on occasion to see if there was anything unique that grabbed me and I found this! Some call it the Panerai of Aviators watches due to its size in the era it was produced. Anyway I searched and searched for one that I liked, that was original and with a good enamel dial. I lucked into this beautiful example which looks like its never been polished! All the #s on the case, movement etc match! Anyway I will post some pics when it gets here! Till then these are the pics the seller had taken.
I am really excited to get it!
I have always leaned more towards the tool watches in my personal collection but most have been from my lifetime (mid 70's through current) but recently there are certain pieces from the 60's that have REALLY started to grab my interest, there were some AMAZING dive watches that came out then especially with the bakelite bezels!
This is the oldest piece I have which will actually be worn in rotation but there was just something special about this!
PS due to the lugs, the case shape I anticipate this wearing better than the IWC Vintage Pilot on smaller wrists.
Longines1.jpg
Longines2.jpg
Longines3.jpg
Longines4.jpg
Longines5.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

aikiman44
Tiki Extraordinaire
Name: J

Re: INCOMING!!! Longines Czech Aviators "Tartarugone" WWII Watch.

Post by aikiman44 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:09 am

Absolutely beautiful.
"We'd better synchronize our watches."

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:11 am

Nice! River Rat Mike has one of these. Great watch and great size for vintage.
:htfu:

WatchTimes

Post by WatchTimes » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:17 am

Thanks Matt! It's always interesting looking back and seeing how our taste and collections evolve!
My problem is I rarely ever sell anything from the collection LOL
BUT
I do have a few Marathon's, a Ball and a Linde W I think I am ready to let go soon LOL!

Here is a pic of what I am wearing today... I know you like a clean non cyclops crystal like I do. I had a Daytona crystal installed on this by my watchmaker about 11 years ago now. My wife bought me this for an engagement present, she said I needed to pick one watch I would never sell. I went with the polar exp II as its the least Rolex looking Rolex due to white dial (moreso mine without cyclops) so I can wear it crappy places and not worry as much and the GMT is a GREAT feature!

Now time to go enjoy a Padron Imperial Maduro :)
L%BgwcO7SkaavVyhxmAofQ.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gr8sw
Name: Pedro

Post by gr8sw » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:50 pm

great looking piece :thumbsup: wear it & enjoy :cheers:
‘I don’t worry about a thing, 'cause I know nothing’s gonna be alright’ Mose Allison

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire
Name: Paul

Post by deepcdvr » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:35 pm

That’s awesome - classic

Congrats!
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM

matt.wu
Wu

Post by matt.wu » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:56 pm

WatchTimes wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:17 am
Thanks Matt! It's always interesting looking back and seeing how our taste and collections evolve!
BUT
I do have a few Marathon's, a Ball and a Linde W I think I am ready to let go soon LOL!

Here is a pic of what I am wearing today... I know you like a clean non cyclops crystal like I do. I had a Daytona crystal installed on this by my watchmaker about 11 years ago now. My wife bought me this for an engagement present, she said I needed to pick one watch I would never sell. I went with the polar exp II as its the least Rolex looking Rolex due to white dial (moreso mine without cyclops) so I can wear it crappy places and not worry as much and the GMT is a GREAT feature!

I had a very similar one some time ago, but I went one step further with the mod (had the GMT hand painted). I shouldn't have sold this one.

unixshrk
This. Truth.
Name: Chris

Post by unixshrk » Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:05 am

matt.wu wrote:
WatchTimes wrote:
BUT

I had a very similar one some time ago, but I went one step further with the mod (had the GMT hand painted). I shouldn't have sold this one.

That was a fantastic mod.

r.palace

Post by r.palace » Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:29 am

matt.wu wrote:
WatchTimes wrote:
BUT

Now time to go enjoy a Padron Imperial Maduro Image

That looks great, M@. Who performed the mod?
ImageImage
Many will register, few will last :htfu:

matt.wu
Wu

Post by matt.wu » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:20 am

^ It was Jack @ IWW. He did a really great job with the paint application on the hand - it looks almost like it could be an OEM part.

r.palace

Post by r.palace » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:24 am

matt.wu wrote:^ It was Jack @ IWW. He did a really great job with the paint application on the hand - it looks almost like it could be an OEM part.
Yes it does. Looks very well done.

The non cyclops GMT, blasted SD bezel, and this orange GMT hand are how all of those watches should have come from the factory

:cheers:
ImageImage
Many will register, few will last :htfu:

matt.wu
Wu

Re: INCOMING!!! Longines Czech Aviators

Post by matt.wu » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:25 am

r.palace wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:24 am
matt.wu wrote:^ It was Jack @ IWW. He did a really great job with the paint application on the hand - it looks almost like it could be an OEM part.
Yes it does. Looks very well done.

The non cyclops GMT, blasted SD bezel, and this orange GMT hand are how all of those watches should have come from the factory

:cheers:
:love:

Someone who gets me!

WatchTimes

Post by WatchTimes » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:26 am

Oh man!
I may need to get another hand, get it painted and installed!
I always like to keep my OEM parts :)

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:33 am

Congrats these are nice watches they made three versions with three different movements and two different dials porcelain and the last version metal. Some even had different stick type hands. You can contact Longines and get info on yours like year manufactured and what country it was sent to for sale. Here is mine made in 1946 the last year it was issued to the Czech air force. Now if you look at the back of the case you can see how they made the case it was pressed to form the case just look at the lugs you can see the metal pressed together kind of cool.
Czech air force pilots badge.
Last edited by River Rat on Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

WatchTimes

Post by WatchTimes » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:37 am

Just got the following email from Longines he original serial number 5'730'8** identifies a stainless steel wristwatch. It is fitted with a Longines manually wound mechanical movement, caliber 15.26 and was invoiced on 22 December 1938 to the company Guth, which was at that time our agent for Czech Republic.