HELP! Can't Identify This Watch!

A place to discuss vintage watches.
mg49
Name: Michael R Greco

HELP! Can't Identify This Watch!

Post by mg49 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:10 pm

I can't seem to find much info at all on this watch. The serial number is 5Y23 8a69 a4 and while I have seen others like it through a Google search, I can't figure out what the five stars on the face mean. I wasn't sure if it was some kind of military issued piece for officers or something, but that's a total guess. Any help is appreciated!!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire
Name: Paul

Re: HELP! Can't Identify This Watch!

Post by deepcdvr » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:41 pm

No offense to the OP but this is the third post today - from people who just signed up - asking about something they can’t find on google..

Good luck
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM

HapaHapa
Name: Eric

Post by HapaHapa » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:36 pm

It’s a basic Seiko quartz style. Probably just a custom face made as a company gift.
The Hapa

mg49

Post by mg49 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:28 am

Haha! Wow, maybe the most unwelcoming forum I’ve ever seen. Good lord!

mg49

Post by mg49 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:31 am

HapaHapa wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:36 pm
It’s a basic Seiko quartz style. Probably just a custom face made as a company gift.
Thank you, I appreciate the insight. :)

mg49

Post by mg49 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:35 am

hoppyjr wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:46 pm
That looks like a Seiko.

Common sense would say “send an email to Seiko with a photo and ask them, since they were the ones that manufactured it. “

You’re welcome.
I thought common sense might say “ask a community of like-minded experts, because it might be a welcoming community of people sharing their passion and not a snark factory of people who try to act superior on the internet”

;)

59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!
Name: David

Post by 59yukon01 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:48 am

Probably the best place to get an answer on old Seikos is this site.

https://www.thewatchsite.com/

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:36 am

It looks an awful lot like the quartz Seiko my parents bought me when I was in high school, minus the stars, and mine had a plain bezel. I wore the hell out of that watch for years.

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Post by Chocodove » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:42 am

Jeez, the welcome wagon is extra salty today

- Todd

CesarG
Mexican
Name: Cesar

Post by CesarG » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:51 am

Upvoted :D

mg49

Post by mg49 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:20 am

This is honestly hysterical. I like how I’m being told to harden the f*ck up by a bunch of dudes on a watch forum for asking a perfectly benign question. And I DID do a Google search and came up empty which is why I came here. Ok, I’ll be good from here. Stay hard guys, stay hard. Hahahahahahahahahaa!!!!

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:58 am

What the fuck is wrong with some of you? I honestly don’t know how many times I have to ask you to cut this shit out. If you can’t or won’t help, just ignore it.
I promise I will get rid of any bad men who dare post on our forum.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

mg49

Post by mg49 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:52 am

59yukon01 wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:48 am
Probably the best place to get an answer on old Seikos is this site.

https://www.thewatchsite.com/
Thank you, I appreciate the help. :grin:

CarloDWC
Name: Carlo

Post by CarloDWC » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:52 pm

Henryj
Bubblehead
Name: Old guy

Post by Henryj » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:46 pm

HapaHapa wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:36 pm
That’s what I was thinking. The last U.S. five star was Omar Bradley, who died in 1981. I kinda doubt anyone would set up a pretty ordinary Seiko quartz gold tone watch from Seiko’s “look like a Rolex” years as a gift to him. That said, it’ll probably run for another 30 years or so as long as you keep it in batteries.
If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.

andrema
Bean Counter Extraordinaire
Name: William Drayton, Jr.

Post by andrema » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:03 pm

This is the last that we will see of the OP. It was just a join to find info kind of deal.

But the advice given is solid, SCWF is where they will let you know for sure. It looks like a promotional item to me, but I am just an asswipe.

pbj204

Post by pbj204 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:52 pm

I think Nike made it, but later had to recall it due to complaints.

Henryj
Bubblehead
Name: Old guy

Post by Henryj » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:58 pm

andrema wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:03 pm
This is the last that we will see of the OP. It was just a join to find info kind of deal.
Probably, and we’ll never know if that’s a good thing or bad. Of course, I started joining watch forums to find information, way back when. We have unwritten rules and expectations here that all us old hands know. We expect new guys to know our customs and expectations, and whack them when they mis-step without telling them why. Intro threads? Yeah, I know that now but I didn’t when I first started visiting forums. New guys might be new to watch forums, or forums in general, not just DWC. Oh, and I don’t think “Show us your wife’s/girlfriend’s/daughter’s tits” is how you ask for an intro. But that’s just me.
If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.

Captdave
Name: Dave

Post by Captdave » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:07 pm

mg49 wrote:
hoppyjr wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:46 pm
That looks like a Seiko.

Common sense would say “send an email to Seiko with a photo and ask them, since they were the ones that manufactured it. “

You’re welcome.
I thought common sense might say “ask a community of like-minded experts, because it might be a welcoming community of people sharing their passion and not a snark factory of people who try to act superior on the internet”

;)
Hoppy is superior both on and off the Internet Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse.

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire

Post by deepcdvr » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:41 pm

I think some of this drama is directed at me and I’ve always welcomed new members and can’t stand it when our usual “welcome wagon” piles on to new guys.. I didn’t mean to piss the dude off at all, it just struck me funny that we had three within a matter of hours looking for stuff they couldn’t find on the internet. Certainly no offense intended.
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:16 pm

deepcdvr wrote:I think some of this drama is directed at me and I’ve always welcomed new members and can’t stand it when our usual “welcome wagon” piles on to new guys.. I didn’t mean to piss the dude off at all, it just struck me funny that we had three within a matter of hours looking for stuff they couldn’t find on the internet. Certainly no offense intended.
My post wasn’t directed at you, Paul. You actually had a legitimate point.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:10 am

Henryj wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:58 pm
andrema wrote:
Probably, and we’ll never know if that’s a good thing or bad. Of course, I started joining watch forums to find information, way back when. We have unwritten rules and expectations here that all us old hands know. We expect new guys to know our customs and expectations, and whack them when they mis-step without telling them why. Intro threads? Yeah, I know that now but I didn’t when I first started visiting forums. New guys might be new to watch forums, or forums in general, not just DWC. Oh, and I don’t think “Show us your wife’s/girlfriend’s/daughter’s tits” is how you ask for an intro. But that’s just me.
I agree. My first post on a watch forum 10+ years ago was to ask a somewhat stupid question about info on a cheap Citizen Eagle 7 auto that I bought on ebay. My first Automatic and a "huge" spend for me on a watch at $65. Luckily the members at that forum were helpful and welcoming....

Althought had I received a HTFU response and moved on to other hobbies, it would have saved me thousands of $$ over the years so maybe we just did the OP a favor!

unsub073
Name: chris

Post by unsub073 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:53 am

Henryj wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:58 pm
andrema wrote:

The dine and dash approach to forums seems weird to me. You would think someone would spend a little of bit time lurking to get a feel for the place before they decided it was worth their time to join and ask a random question.

gwells
Name: Greg

Post by gwells » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:21 am

i don't disagree on that. but instead of automatically driving them away, we can always just ask for an introduction.

Bradley_Goodchil

Post by Bradley_Goodchil » Sun May 24, 2020 7:38 am

Well the five stars has a meaning but it escapes me for the moment!
Six stars is a Chinese emblem on their flag!
But as Seiko is Japanese I go with military, I personally have a few vintage Chinese and one vintage Seiko but you could try the Old Seiko forum over at WUS.

Sent from my HMA-L09 using Tapatalk