Seriously...come on

Discuss your favorite music, TV shows & movies, cars and sports here.
andrema
Bean Counter Extraordinaire
Name: William Drayton, Jr.

Seriously...come on

Post by andrema » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:40 pm

How are these this expensive?

I mean, they are sort of neat looking, but still...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Re: Seriously...come on

Post by hoppyjr » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:43 pm

Have you priced a Rubicon Unlimited lately? Equally insane, but a nice ride.

demer03
Current Forecast: Vintage Doxa
Name: Mike

Post by demer03 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:45 pm

I was in until they sent me the pre-order...

Nope
Old Michigan steams like a young man's dreams
The islands and bays are for sportsmen

tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>
Name: Don

Post by tattoo chef » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:55 pm

Car pricing is crazy these days in general. Fully loaded Ford St Explorer $60,000.
And I love vehicles that start at $25,000 but fully loaded whatever trim, $40,000...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

andrema
Bean Counter Extraordinaire
Name: William Drayton, Jr.

Post by andrema » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:04 pm

I don’t know, we paid a bit over that for our newest MDX Advance. I would never have guessed that price.

TSD
Name: Tom

Post by TSD » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:25 pm

I test drove the Rubicon truck and was expecting to be wowed. Underwhelming, especially at that price.

HapaHapa
Name: Eric

Post by HapaHapa » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:00 pm

F all the price increases. My next one will probably be used.
The Hapa

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:05 pm

TSD wrote:I test drove the Rubicon truck and was expecting to be wowed. Underwhelming, especially at that price.
As much as I love the Jeep, I’d probably buy a Tacoma TRD Pro or Colorado ZR2 and pocket the difference.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

spring-diver
Name: Shannon

Post by spring-diver » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:29 pm

New car/truck pricing is like coastal California real estate, f****** crazy. Unfortunately it’s only going to get worse.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk
Seiko: SBDB001, SBDX001, SRP777

Sinn: EZM9, T1, T1B, 836 & 857S

:cheers:

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire
Name: Paul

Post by deepcdvr » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:39 pm

TSD wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:25 pm
I test drove the Rubicon truck and was expecting to be wowed. Underwhelming, especially at that price.
So did I

I have a Tacoma and thought my truck is waaaaay better and 25k cheaper

I can’t take the roof or doors off tho... :think:

The gladiators are not getting good comparative reviews, but they will sell a ton of them
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM

1954Selmer
Name: RC

Post by 1954Selmer » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:20 pm

For many humans, a vehicle creates identity and the sense of individualism. The manufacturer knows it, so they price the vehicles accordingly..

BacoNoir
Name: Roger

Post by BacoNoir » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:47 pm

1954Selmer wrote:For many humans, a vehicle creates identity and the sense of individualism. The manufacturer knows it, so they price the vehicles accordingly..
Yeah, we have family that spends a lot on new vehicles every few years and they think I’m insane for buying watches. I’ve made money over the years, and we know that 99% of cars are highly depreciable assets.
www.simplynoble.net
Time Magazine Person of the Year - 2006

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:07 am

deepcdvr wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:39 pm
TSD wrote:
So did I

The gladiators are not getting good comparative reviews, but they will sell a ton of them
My first car was a Jeep and I’ve owned many of them over the years, but $60k+ for that Gladiator is nuts. I’d rather buy an old Scrambler and renovate it. I’d end up with just as cool a rig for probably 30% the cost.

Regarding the Tacoma, you absolutely can take the roof and doors off. It’s just that you can only do it once (with a Sawzall). :grin:

Tacoma’s are great (I’ve owned mine for 8 years). There is great aftermarket support so, like Jeeps, you can modify it any way you’d like. The Tacoma forums are full of great information and are nearly as bad a money pit as watch forums.

Negatives I’ve experienced include the frame is prone to rusting (to the point Toyota offers a frame replacement program covering up to 12 years from date of service) and the paint isn’t the best. My 17 inch Sport rims look awful due to the factory paint peeling off.

FWIW, Wet Okole seat covers work very well in the Tacoma.

hobbit712
Name: Steve

Post by hobbit712 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:48 am

Crazy price and pretty ugly IMO. If they did a 2 door version it would get my interest bit more.

Jalopnik did a Photoshop version of a 2 door.

https://watchidiotsavants3.godaddysites.com/
instagram @watchidiotsavants

Chase after the dream, don't chase after the money

Ryeguy

Post by Ryeguy » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:42 am

I do like that photoshop 2 door version, but then again I also liked that aftermarket company who sold a pickup conversion kit for Wranglers years ago. The photoshop looks almost identical to that old modification.

The more I think about it, he more I’d probably think about buying a Gladiator if money was no object. It is a cool looking little truck.

But in reality, it isn’t all that practical. He 5’ bed is too short for a surfboard or SUP (unless they offer an extension that I didn’t see). I also prefer the plastic composite bed of the Tacoma that won’t rust when I pile my wetsuit and beach stuff in it. I’d certainly want to see how strong that tailgate is before I started ramping up a motorcycle.

The ability to lose the doors and top is cool, but here in New England, I’d want a hard top for the winter months. I remember the PITA it was to remove my Jeep hardtop years ago (torx bolts and heavy, plus having to store it someplace it wouldn’t get damaged). If you have power windows, to remove the doors you’d also be disconnecting a wiring harness. I’d imagine that would be a wear prone item.

Running a Bimini top is an option, but then you’d get to experience the full “pickup truck blues” of everything you own being either wet or stolen.

Ultimately, I think the Gladiator would make a very cool third car for someone who wanted that look and could afford a stable of cars. Kind of akin to Rolex’s pricing strategy change for their Subs, I think Jeep is aware of their target market and their pricing strategy reflects it.

The number of people who go off roading in their new $50-60k Jeep are probably the same as the number of people who buy a Rolex Sub for actual diving.

Selym
Name: Myles

Post by Selym » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:37 am

I saw three of them at the last Mass Cruisers Cruise Night. Meh. They'd make more sense with two doors, a longer bed, and a lower price.

Torrid
Name: Heath

Post by Torrid » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:07 am

I think all trucks in general are nuts price wise. Felt that way when I got my current one but I felt good enough about the deal. I see myself driving what I got for a long time.

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire
Name: Paul

Post by deepcdvr » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:08 pm

Ryeguy wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:07 am
deepcdvr wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:39 pm
TSD wrote:
So did I

My first car was a Jeep and I’ve owned many of them over the years, but $60k+ for that Gladiator is nuts. I’d rather buy an old Scrambler and renovate it. I’d end up with just as cool a rig for probably 30% the cost.

Regarding the Tacoma, you absolutely can take the roof and doors off. It’s just that you can only do it once (with a Sawzall). :grin:

Tacoma’s are great (I’ve owned mine for 8 years). There is great aftermarket support so, like Jeeps, you can modify it any way you’d like. The Tacoma forums are full of great information and are nearly as bad a money pit as watch forums.

Negatives I’ve experienced include the frame is prone to rusting (to the point Toyota offers a frame replacement program covering up to 12 years from date of service) and the paint isn’t the best. My 17 inch Sport rims look awful due to the factory paint peeling off.

FWIW, Wet Okole seat covers work very well in the Tacoma.
Yeah the Tacoma forums can kill your wallet fast..

I have a new (2018) so maybe the paint will hold up

I traded in a Nissan Titan for the Taco and miss that beast. It still looked fantastic after 15 years of ownership but was just too big for DC traffic and parking under hotels ;(

Taco is fun, rugged and much more nimble but I’m still getting used to the reduced size of a “mid-sized” pick up.
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM

Ryeguy

Post by Ryeguy » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:13 pm

Yeah, I could see a Titan being a PITA in DC.

My biggest gripe with the Taco after nearly 10 years of ownership is the ergonomics. The floor is high for ground clearance, but the roof is low to fit into small garages. That leaves me feeling like I’m sitting on the floor in a bit of a clamshell posture. Then again, I’m 6’1” / 195#, so maybe I’d be equally cramped in any mid sized truck.

The Wet Okole seat covers help. They add a bit of seat height and the neoprene material has held up pretty well.

104k miles with nothing but routine maintenance isn’t bad either, so I guess I can’t bitch too much!

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:25 pm

Selym wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:37 am
I saw three of them at the last Mass Cruisers Cruise Night. Meh. They'd make more sense with two doors, a longer bed, and a lower price.
Most people use them for suburban commuting or family duties so Jeep likely did their homework and the version they are making is the one that will sell.

I think over 70% of Wrangler sales are the 4 door..... and Gladiator buyers aren’t using them for a work truck.

Ryeguy

Post by Ryeguy » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:19 am

dnslater wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:25 pm
Selym wrote:
Most people use them for suburban commuting or family duties so Jeep likely did their homework and the version they are making is the one that will sell.

I think over 70% of Wrangler sales are the 4 door..... and Gladiator buyers aren’t using them for a work truck.
I think this is a very accurate statement. Jeep may make a $35K Gladiator, but you'll likely never find one in a dealership.

You'll only see 4 door Rubicon models at $60K. The furthest off road they'll go is up an unpaved driveway.

Jeep recognizes there is significantly more profit in making luxury vehicles and leverage their history of off-road credibility to market to buyers who want that sporty appearance than in making low cost utility vehicles.

Of all of Rolex's innovations, I think this marketing strategy of turning "utility" into "luxury" is probably one of their most creative and (as demonstrated above) copied. (Rolex executed this strategy back in the early '80's - I can't think of another brand who did this with equal success prior.)

Ford's strategy for the F150, for example, is to catch the entire market. They offer a work truck version and every possible variant all the way up to the Raptor. Jeep is simply going for the top 70%.

streetracer101
Name: Mr Shackleford

Post by streetracer101 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:53 am

Ryeguy wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:19 am
dnslater wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:25 pm
Selym wrote:

I think this is a very accurate statement. Jeep may make a $35K Gladiator, but you'll likely never find one in a dealership.

You'll only see 4 door Rubicon models at $60K. The furthest off road they'll go is up an unpaved driveway.

Jeep recognizes there is significantly more profit in making luxury vehicles and leverage their history of off-road credibility to market to buyers who want that sporty appearance than in making low cost utility vehicles.

Of all of Rolex's innovations, I think this marketing strategy of turning "utility" into "luxury" is probably one of their most creative and (as demonstrated above) copied. (Rolex executed this strategy back in the early '80's - I can't think of another brand who did this with equal success prior.)

Ford's strategy for the F150, for example, is to catch the entire market. They offer a work truck version and every possible variant all the way up to the Raptor. Jeep is simply going for the top 70%.
This depends on your market. Here in Colorado there are tons of Gladiators in lower level trims. Plus, it is easy enough to order one in whatever format you like.
My wife has been considering a new Rubicon, but hasn't quite made up her mind if she wants to pull the trigger. There are dealerships in the US that are selling them for 10% under invoice. Our local market doesn't budge much on price, so I'll probably be ordering one from Idaho and driving it home if she finally makes up her mind on one. I am happy to take a short road trip to save 3 or 4 grand. I've been quoted 44.5k for an invoice price of 51.5k thru Peterson Jeep in ID.
As for the Gladiator, they are hideous. I loved it in concept, but hate it in person. The only way they look good IMO is with a lift and 37's. Jeep probably won't make them in a 2 door. My understanding is that less than 15% of Jeep Wranglers being sold now are in the 2 door trim format. I've grown so used to Unlimited trim Jeeps that the 2 doors look weird when I see them.

goaliechris

Post by goaliechris » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:06 am

Do they still make Rubicons? Don’t see it as an option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:07 am

Everything is expensive now. That’s what happens when you devalue your nation’s currency and make credit free.

Ryeguy

Post by Ryeguy » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:13 am

I’m holding out for Ford to release the new Bronco.