Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
Graeme
Owner - SAS & Míleata
Name: Graeme

SOMA watch marketplace

Post by Graeme » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:31 am

Hi guys,
Just wanted to give you a heads up on a new watch marketplace that is launching this week. It's called SOMA and their website is https://soma.co

A lot of watch brands have signed up including myself with SAS and Mileata.

SOMA is incorporating blockchain into the marketplace but please don't ask me to explain how blockchain works because I haven't a clue :-) :-D

They also have Facebook groups about it for any of you on facebook.

At the moment it is only for watch sellers but I think they will be expanding it later to include strap sellers etc (heads up Terry)

Might be a few good deals when it launches ;-) so worth a look.

Regards Graeme

Image Image

stonehead887
Name: Jeremy

Re: SOMA watch marketplace

Post by stonehead887 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:51 pm

They are also on Instagram

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

logan2z
IT Admin
Name: Andrew

Post by logan2z » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:09 pm

I'd be interested to find out more about how SOMA uses blockchain to authenticate a watch. Vacheron Constantin recently announced that they are using this technology to create digital certificates that prove the authenticity of their watches. I'm not sure how anyone other than the manufacturer of the watch can really do this. I also don't see how blockchain could help with things like movement modifications/repair by unauthorized sources using questionable parts. It seems to me that buying used in such a marketplace would still largely be a crapshoot like it is today. But I'd love to learn more about the ways that they've attempted to address these issues using this technology.

After looking around the site, it appears that the marketplace is dominated by little-known micro-brands from Europe. It'll be interesting to see if they get more mainstream brands involved, although the big ones seem to have already built out their own online channels for selling their watches so I suspect it's unlikely.

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:45 am

SOMA has been a bicycle frame manufacturer with a great reputation. Assume no affiliation?