Name: HeadDIK

Spring Made Premium Nato Strap

Post by toxicavenger » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:34 pm

I just got one in. Here are my thoughts:
https://springmadeshop.com/
1) They don't take paypal on their website :scratch:
2) The shipping is almost $7.50 :scratch:
3) Took 4 days to get here, pretty good shipping
4) I thought the name strap was part of the design. Nope it is just a buckle. :scratch:
5) Buckle tag sticks out from the wrist quite a bit :think: So it grabs on everything
6) Nylon is pretty nice, just like the Toxic Royals XL, really basic but a good weave :thumbsup:
7) Kind of a pain in the ass to make it snug when it works like a tongueless buckle :shrug: So I have to make it really tight and then pull on it to get some slack once i weave the strap thru. :scratch:
8) I am probably doing it wrong. :cheers:

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Re: Spring Made Premium Nato Strap

Post by Ryeguy » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:12 am

Interesting, but it seems like an answer to a non-existing problem.

Does it have the infinite loop design where the entire strap can be shortened to minimize the length of the loose end? I’m guessing no from the picks.

It seems that clasp would be annoying catching on stuff. Do you lift up on the tab to loosen the strap (like on a backpack strap)? In my mind, I would think the tap would orient the other way (pointy end toward the loose tail), but maybe I’m wrong.

I’m also curious on how this strap would work once wet.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:10 am

Ryeguy wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:12 am
Exactly
Does it have the infinite loop design where the entire strap can be shortened to minimize the length of the loose end? I’m guessing no from the picks.
Nope
It seems that clasp would be annoying catching on stuff. Do you lift up on the tab to loosen the strap (like on a backpack strap)? In my mind, I would think the tap would orient the other way (pointy end toward the loose tail), but maybe I’m wrong.
You would think you can lift on the tab to loosen it but the edges of the buckle are to sharp, so they kind of dig/grip into the strap.
I don't think it will. I think it would allow the buckle to lose its grip. I know this company made a killing on kickstart because of this design

Torrid
Name: Heath

Post by Torrid » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:12 am

That design looks thick and clunky which is the opposite of the usual benefits of a NATO strap. Infinite fit is interesting though. Frankly the materials you use and premium hardware without adding bulk is a much better way to improve on a NATO. It's a type of strap that benefits greatly from properly implemented incremental changes rather than trying to re-invent the wheel.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:43 pm

Torrid wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:12 am
That design looks thick and clunky which is the opposite of the usual benefits of a NATO strap. Infinite fit is interesting though. Frankly the materials you use and premium hardware without adding bulk is a much better way to improve on a NATO. It's a type of strap that benefits greatly from properly implemented incremental changes rather than trying to re-invent the wheel.
Agreed. :mrgreen:

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Fri May 17, 2019 8:08 pm

looks cheapest nato copied them now
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SpringMade
Name: Austin

Post by SpringMade » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:32 am

toxicavenger wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:34 pm
I just got one in. Here are my thoughts:
https://springmadeshop.com/
1) They don't take paypal on their website :scratch:
2) The shipping is almost $7.50 :scratch:
3) Took 4 days to get here, pretty good shipping
4) I thought the name strap was part of the design. Nope it is just a buckle. :scratch:
5) Buckle tag sticks out from the wrist quite a bit :think: So it grabs on everything
6) Nylon is pretty nice, just like the Toxic Royals XL, really basic but a good weave :thumbsup:
7) Kind of a pain in the ass to make it snug when it works like a tongueless buckle :shrug: So I have to make it really tight and then pull on it to get some slack once i weave the strap thru. :scratch:
8) I am probably doing it wrong. :cheers:
Hey Guys,

I stumbled into this thread and thought I could respond to some of these thoughts.

1. I didnt know this was an important thing to people, its not difficult to add paypal option to the check out as so I will work on that.
2. yeah, the shipping thing has been on my mind for a while, I'm working on offering different options that are cheaper, but I dont want to give up tracking info.
3. USPS /shrug/
4. not sure
5. huh, I haven't had mine catch on anything really, I wonder if I am positioning it differently, more under my wrist.
6. :)
7. there is definitely a learning curve to it and it took me a short while to where I can do it without thinking now.
8. the whole point was to make a strap that fit better than one hole too loose, or one hole too tight, so if you can get that, then great! if not then its not better then any other nato strap.

I have come to love having the adjust-ability with it and I am always adjusting it for when it gets hot and I want a little more breathing room, so I find it super comfortable.

If there are other questions, or thoughts, or criticism I'm happy to hear it and discuss.

thanks,

Austin

SpringMade

Post by SpringMade » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:35 am

toxicavenger wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 8:08 pm
not sure if I should be mad or flattered....

SpringMade

Post by SpringMade » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:49 am

Ryeguy wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:12 am

The original problem was finding that I was always between comfortable hole sizes on a lot of the straps that I had and it was endlessly frustrating to be too tight or too loose all the time, or it was a good fit in the morning but too tight after lunch etc.... and I think to that end it has worked quite well. I no longer struggle to get it to fit right.

No infinite loop design, just a standard nato strap webbing and a friction fit buckle. I was trying to keep it as simple as possible, and as close to the original, that everyone loves as possible while solving the issue of fit.

I dont find it catching on things, but some have reported that so YMMV, but I think positioning the buckle under the wrist helps to keep it pretty flat and unobtrusive.

you can pull up on the buckle and let some slack out to adjust it just a touch. you can also pinch the webbing and feed just a touch into the buckle to tighten it up ( pics on the website show how to do it springmadeshop.com/fit)

seems to do fine in the water. I work my Seiko turtle body surfing in Hawaii and it stayed snug the whole time. Nylon naturally absorbs a little bit of water but the buckle stayed tight and even trying I couldnt get it to slip off.

- Austin

( sorry for the long response - Ive obviously thought a lot about this :-/ )

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:33 pm

SpringMade wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:32 am
Hey Guys,

I stumbled into this thread and thought I could respond to some of these thoughts.

1. I didnt know this was an important thing to people, its not difficult to add paypal option to the check out as so I will work on that.
Paypal is used by many. If not most buyers.

2. yeah, the shipping thing has been on my mind for a while, I'm working on offering different options that are cheaper, but I dont want to give up tracking info.
There are cheaper options for tracking.

3. USPS /shrug/
I use them all the time. They are definitely hit or miss. But they have the best rates, so all good.

4. not sure
Me either. :crybaby: What I meant to say was with the naming convention I thought the buckle used a spring bar of some kind. It does not.

5. huh, I haven't had mine catch on anything really, I wonder if I am positioning it differently, more under my wrist.
I do not know. I am always working on something. Maybe it is user error.

6. :)
:cheers:

7. there is definitely a learning curve to it and it took me a short while to where I can do it without thinking now.
:salute:

8. the whole point was to make a strap that fit better than one hole too loose, or one hole too tight, so if you can get that, then great! if not then its not better then any other nato strap.
I can definitely see the adjust-ability to get a better fit.

I have come to love having the adjust-ability with it and I am always adjusting it for when it gets hot and I want a little more breathing room, so I find it super comfortable.

Good to hear your thoughts behind it. :thumbsup:

HapaHapa
Name: Eric

Post by HapaHapa » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:40 pm

Great business owner discussion/response. Thank you.
The Hapa

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:10 pm

Looks like the owner of the company's name is Austin Spring, that is why it is called Spring Made. I guess I did not understand that. I have to say that the strap is a good option for sure.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:10 pm

SpringMade wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:35 am
toxicavenger wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 8:08 pm
not sure if I should be mad or flattered....
I do not know. they copy everyone. :banghead:

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:48 pm

These don’t work themselves loose?

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:54 pm

hoppyjr wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:48 pm
You would think it would but I did not have that issue. I think the edges on the buckle keep it from moving.

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:17 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
hoppyjr wrote:
You would think it would but I did not have that issue. I think the edges on the buckle keep it from moving.
Interesting.

SpringMade

Post by SpringMade » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:53 pm

hoppyjr wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:17 pm
toxicavenger wrote:
hoppyjr wrote:
Interesting.
Yeah, It really isn't an issue, in the year and a half that I have been wearing them, I haven't ever noticed any slipping issues. The way that your wrist naturally holds the material is a great position for friction to hold on the material in the buckle.

SpringMade

Post by SpringMade » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:55 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:10 pm
Looks like the owner of the company's name is Austin Spring, that is why it is called Spring Made. I guess I did not understand that. I have to say that the strap is a good option for sure.
Thanks for clarifying, that is the case, Im Austin. And thanks for giving our straps a try. I really appreciate it.

andrema
Bean Counter Extraordinaire
Name: William Drayton, Jr.

Post by andrema » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:16 am

^^^ You do realize that Terry "toxicavenger" owns Toxicnatos, right? If not, he has a badasss business and products. You guys should discuss stuff offline, he's a cool guy.