Watch modding, and now... car modding

Discuss your favorite music, TV shows & movies, cars and sports here.
Bradystraps
Name: Todd

Watch modding, and now... car modding

Post by Bradystraps » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:23 pm

The modding bug has shifted, to a more expensive subject matter... my car.
Upgrading the exhaust on my 335i V55 turbo to the M Performance exhaust with a VRSF catless down pipe. Should give it a bit more of an aggressive growl. :grin: First of the mods I will be doing. I'm staying away from tuning for now to not void my warranty, even though it's fairly easy to overwrite the program... I just don't want the hassle.

Anyone else a car modder? What have you done?

:cheers:
Last edited by Bradystraps on Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TSD
Name: Tom

Re: Watching modding, and now... car modding

Post by TSD » Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:08 pm

Pffft. Too many chipped VWs and Audis to list.

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:12 pm

Removing a catalytic converter will void massive portions of your warranty. If your turbo dies and they can detect the mod, you're SOL.

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:22 pm

JP Chestnut wrote:Removing a catalytic converter will void massive portions of your warranty. If your turbo dies and they can detect the mod, you're SOL.
Not to mention with the HPFP issues they’ve had I wouldn’t modify a modern BMW and give them a reason to deny claims.

Selym
Name: Myles

Post by Selym » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:17 pm

Just do a cat-back exhaust. The guy driving behind you will thank you. Cat-less exhaust systems stink (literally).

sierra11b
Name: Eric

Post by sierra11b » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:56 pm

I used to mod all sorts of friends Subarus and my last Subaru was a ‘05 STi with about 430hp to all four wheels on the dyno. I loved that vehicle and could eat most cars for breakfast on the track. I still find myself turning my head when I hear that throaty-sounding Subaru boxer engine as there’s nothing quite like it.

Used to have one hi-flow cat as the one in the up-pipe was replaced catless. Never failed smog but if it did I had my original exhaust to swap out, or I could just get the hi-flow cat really hot and pass. I knew a couple dudes running straight pipes. Still not nearly as obnoxious as a Harley and sounded great

Today, I own a’11 Toyota Tacoma 5spd with 157000 miles and each service documented by the service center without a single mod. Guess I got it out of my system. :lol:

My point is if I decided to purchase a nice car today I’d leave it the hell alone
Last edited by sierra11b on Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:13 pm

hoppyjr wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:22 pm
JP Chestnut wrote:Removing a catalytic converter will void massive portions of your warranty. If your turbo dies and they can detect the mod, you're SOL.
Not to mention with the HPFP issues they’ve had I wouldn’t modify a modern BMW and give them a reason to deny claims.
Agreed. One bad idea for sure. Always keep the cats on and if anything mod the rest of the exhaust after the cat. You will definitely lose a warranty claim without a cat on your car.

Bradystraps

Post by Bradystraps » Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:16 am

Just realized I only have until September for my CPO so one more good service and then I'm done. I am going to go catted DP with the MPE and tune it after the service.

Joeprez
Wants to see pics of your wife
Name: Joe

Post by Joeprez » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:19 am

Cat back and then spend money on driving lessons and/or track time.

Omega / Tudor / Rolex / Sinn / Doxa / Seiko

amckiwi
Name: Stu

Post by amckiwi » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:06 am

2009 SS Holden Utility L96 6M done nearly 50,000k
Liquid Injection LPG donut tank goes where the spare wheel was
Harrop Ultimate brake package 365mm front disks 6pot calipers rear 340mm 4 pot calipers, braided brake lines
Coil over suspension
Fiberglass hardlid
Projector headlights with xenon lamps
Forged 19 wheels from a later model Holden 19x9 and 19x8
Steering wheel gear knob seat foams from another model, seats covered in Italian leather
Full custom exhaust headers and catback
Over the radiator cold air intake
Aftermarket grill
Full custom dual fuels tune 279rwkw 374rwhp LPG 289rwk 387rw Add 20-30% to get flywheel HP which is what is mots often quoted
Component front speakers and a sub woofer.
I will have forgotten some things

1964 Rambler Classic (owned since 1981)
232 I6 from 1965 Classic
Toyota 5 speed / ford 9 inch replacing the torque tube setup
Ford GT 12 slot wheels
Matador disk brakes on the front
Complete rewire
Redone carpets and recovered seats
Halogen headlights
Alpine stereo 2 amps component speakers int he front 6x9 in parcel shelf 2 sub woofers
Alternator upgraded from 35to 120 amps
Painted in an Alfa red car was a light grey originally

Have always modified my cars usually not cosmetically

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:09 am

sierra11b wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:56 pm
I used to mod all sorts of friends Subarus and my last Subaru was a ‘05 STi with about 430hp to all four wheels on the dyno. I loved that vehicle and could eat most cars for breakfast on the track. I still find myself turning my head when I hear that throaty-sounding Subaru boxer engine as there’s nothing quite like it.

Used to have one hi-flow cat as the one in the up-pipe was replaced catless. Never failed smog but if it did I had my original exhaust to swap out, or I could just get the hi-flow cat really hot and pass. I knew a couple dudes running straight pipes. Still not nearly as obnoxious as a Harley and sounded great

Today, I own a’11 Toyota Tacoma 5spd with 157000 miles and each service documented by the service center without a single mod. Guess I got it out of my system. :lol:

My point is if I decided to purchase a nice car today I’d leave it the hell alone
Funny, I just saw a quote the other day about how a people in the Subaru tuner crowd tend to gravitate towards Toyota trucks after they tire of the scene.

My warranty is up this month on my GTI. Debating getting a stage 1 APR tune. Sounds like a lot of fun, but I value reliability and the car has been great so far. Also, must of my driving is urban and the extra power won't get me much more than wheelspin...... Any my 11 year old has is eyes on the car.....

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:28 am

dnslater wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:09 am
My warranty is up this month on my GTI. Debating getting a stage 1 APR tune. Sounds like a lot of fun, but I value reliability and the car has been great so far. Also, must of my driving is urban and the extra power won't get me much more than wheelspin...... Any my 11 year old has is eyes on the car.....
Ping my buddies at NGP racing and they can tell you the best tune for reliability.

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:56 am

toxicavenger wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:28 am
dnslater wrote:
Ping my buddies at NGP racing and they can tell you the best tune for reliability.
I think APR is pretty safe. I like my 10k service intervals and know that with a tune I should really half this.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:07 am

dnslater wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:56 am
toxicavenger wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:28 am
dnslater wrote:
I think APR is pretty safe. I like my 10k service intervals and know that with a tune I should really half this.
NGP Racing is one of the biggest APR tuners on the East Coast. :salute:

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:32 am

APR are the only ones I trust. I’m thinking of picking up a GTI or Golf R next year. I may buy a used one so I don’t have as much warranty to worry about voiding.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

dukerules

Post by dukerules » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:40 pm

Golf R with a MT and a tune would be ridiculously fun, I would think.

CGSshorty
Admin

Re: Watch modding, and now... car modding

Post by CGSshorty » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:06 pm

dukerules wrote:Golf R with a MT and a tune would be ridiculously fun, I would think.
Mine would have to be DSG. My wife doesn’t drive a manual and she has to be able to drive my car in case of emergency.
You’re right, though.
David St. Hubbins

Bradystraps

Post by Bradystraps » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:06 pm

I'm 3 weeks in with my MPE and it sounds great. I don't even need a catted DP. Just did full brake upgrades as well which look good.
Next up is Bootmod3 Stage 2 93 octane.

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:07 pm

CGSshorty wrote:
dukerules wrote:Golf R with a MT and a tune would be ridiculously fun, I would think.
Mine would have to be DSG. My wife doesn’t drive a manual and she has to be able to drive my car in case of emergency.
You’re right, though.
DSG is faster I believe, but you have to stay on top of those 30k tranny fluid changes.

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:11 pm

hoppyjr wrote:
CGSshorty wrote:
You’re right, though.
DSG is faster I believe, but you have to stay on top of those 30k tranny fluid changes.
My R32 was DSG, so I’m familiar with the upkeep. That’s the one car I really miss, so it seems logical to replace it with something similar. A chipped GTI is a much better value, though.
David St. Hubbins

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:13 pm

CGSshorty wrote:
hoppyjr wrote:
CGSshorty wrote:
You’re right, though.
My R32 was DSG, so I’m familiar with the upkeep. That’s the one car I really miss, so it seems logical to replace it with something similar. A chipped GTI is a much better value, though.
Definitely. DSG GTI + APR, along with maybe new struts & tires. Perfect.

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:15 pm

hoppyjr wrote:
CGSshorty wrote:
hoppyjr wrote:
CGSshorty wrote:
You’re right, though.
Definitely. DSG GTI + APR, along with maybe new struts & tires. Perfect.
It’s Florida. No need for new struts. Just a good set of lowering springs.
David St. Hubbins

dukerules

Post by dukerules » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:16 pm

hoppyjr wrote:
CGSshorty wrote:
You’re right, though.
We have an S-tronic in our A3 and it's actually really nice. Quick and smooth shifts and pretty fun to shift manually.

TSD
Name: Tom

Post by TSD » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:32 pm

dukerules wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:16 pm
hoppyjr wrote:
CGSshorty wrote:
You’re right, though.
We have an S-tronic in our A3 and it's actually really nice. Quick and smooth shifts and pretty fun to shift manually.
My chipped A3 3.2 Quattro quickly overpowered the DSG clutch pack. It was thankfully a stealthy installation that didn’t draw attention during warranty replacement.

dukerules

Post by dukerules » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:43 pm

TSD wrote:
dukerules wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:16 pm
hoppyjr wrote:
CGSshorty wrote:
You’re right, though.
My chipped A3 3.2 Quattro quickly overpowered the DSG clutch pack. It was thankfully a stealthy installation that didn’t draw attention during warranty replacement.
Interesting. I think Audi uses it in the RS3. But the higher torque cars, including the RS5, use a standard automatic. I'm guessing that transmission can't handle a ton of torque. Unlike the Porsche PDK.