Bulgari Octo

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
goaliechris
Name: Chris

Bulgari Octo

Post by goaliechris » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:42 am

In SF today and stopped by Bulgari to finally see these watches in person. Very impressive in the flesh. Light but still wears a little like a larger watch given the diameter. Beautiful in person. I liked the weight of the steel one but the hue of the titanium one. But to be fair, the steel one doesn’t seem substantially heavier.

ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ds760476
Name: Devon

Re: Bulgari Octo

Post by ds760476 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:54 am

That is super cool! I’ll have to act like I fit in at the Bulgari boutique tomorrow and try one on.

unsub073
Name: chris

Post by unsub073 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:00 pm

I have a strange attraction to Bulgari. Those look really good.

Steve O.
Name: Uh, Steve

Post by Steve O. » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:48 pm

unsub073 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:00 pm
I have a strange attraction to Bulgari. Those look really good.
Me too. Have always liked Bulgari, but have never owned one.
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things." - George Carlin

jimyritz
Masshole
Name: Mike

Post by jimyritz » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:59 pm

Dig that model...

spring-diver
Name: Shannon

Post by spring-diver » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:53 pm

Very cool! I really like the Ti version :thumbsup:

:cheers:
Seiko: SBDB001, SBDX001, SRP777

Sinn: EZM9, T1, T1B, 836 & 857S

:cheers:

hoppes-no9
Name: Dan

Post by hoppes-no9 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:07 am

Really nice. Exudes classiness.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:43 am

I know Hodinkee has mixed appeal here, but I usually enjoy their "A Week on the Wrist" write-ups.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/bulga ... tic-review

unsub073
Name: chris

Post by unsub073 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:43 am

JBZ wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:43 am
I know Hodinkee has mixed appeal here, but I usually enjoy their "A Week on the Wrist" write-ups.

Really interesting article especially about all the broken records for size.

AtomicTom
Nuclear Personality!!!!
Name: Tom

Post by AtomicTom » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:36 am

Hey neat Chris, that had to be insanely fun ! :headbang: Never have seen one
of these in person. But now it almost feels as if I have ! :salute: :) Very different,
and you can tell they have to nice, and comfortable on the wrist.

Thanks a ton for the report !!!

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer

Post by JBZ » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:42 am

unsub073 wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:43 am
JBZ wrote:

There's something about super thin watches that I find really cool.

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:48 am

JBZ wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:42 am
unsub073 wrote:
JBZ wrote:

Me too. VC makes some great ultra thins:
https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/the-v ... fect-watch

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer

Post by JBZ » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:14 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:48 am
JBZ wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:42 am
unsub073 wrote:
JBZ wrote:

Me too. VC makes some great ultra thins:
https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/the-v ... fect-watch
Those are nice. This one from AP looks pretty good, too.

https://monochrome-watches.com/audemars ... sihh-2018/

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire
Name: Paul

Post by deepcdvr » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:21 am

JBZ wrote:

Fak - that is one cool watch! I want one now... I won’t be spending 17K on one tho.. :crybaby:
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:25 am

I actually like their finished work on their watches, I just do not like the style.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer

Post by JBZ » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:36 am

deepcdvr wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:21 am
JBZ wrote:

Fak - that is one cool watch! I want one now... I won’t be spending 17K on one tho.. :crybaby:
Whenever I see a really cool watch I can't afford, I just assume that it wouldn't fit my wrist anyways. :lol:

BacoNoir
Name: Roger

Post by BacoNoir » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:49 am

JBZ wrote:

While I've never really paid much attention to the brand, I've always equated them with the LV/Gucci of the watch world. Many of you know how much I like Ti watches, well add in the world's thinnest Chronograph (breaking a 32 year record) at 6.9mm thick, add in a GMT function and an auto movement and I am impressed.

With the price surges on AP RO 15400's lately, I've been thinking of flipping mine and quite a few frugals, and adding a little money to pick up a WG Sub 116619LB (Smurf). I tried one on at a GTG about 6 months ago and was smitten - still am.

With my income and lack of bonuses these days, I had just about given up on getting a PM watch, so the only way to do so was flip. I wasn't willing to do so with the AP RO or BLNR, but the prices of both have gone nuts lately. Now, a PM watch is obtainable if I do some shuffling in the collection with one of my nice pieces and a lot of my frugals. I still can't give up the BLNR, so the AP RO is the only one to consider. While I love it, selling it for nearly double what I paid for it is a rare opportunity in the watch world. Most of us are lucky to make a little and more often, take a loss when our tastes change over time.

So now, back to the point. With the Bvlgaria I still wouldn't have a PM watch, but I would keep the Genta look in my collection and have a very unique piece. Still the WG Sub is calling my name and I love the heft and shade of blue. Probably still going for the Smurf, but this gives me some pause to think, because I could swap, not have to sell anything else and still put some money back in the watch fund account.
www.simplynoble.net
Time Magazine Person of the Year - 2006

dinexus
Name: Zach

Post by dinexus » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:46 pm

Actual batman watch.

jlswatch
Name: John Schneider

Post by jlswatch » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:14 pm

I'm 75% dive watches but I've always been attracted to this watch.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire
Name: Paul

Post by deepcdvr » Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:01 am

BacoNoir wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:49 am
JBZ wrote:

While I've never really paid much attention to the brand, I've always equated them with the LV/Gucci of the watch world. Many of you know how much I like Ti watches, well add in the world's thinnest Chronograph (breaking a 32 year record) at 6.9mm thick, add in a GMT function and an auto movement and I am impressed.

With the price surges on AP RO 15400's lately, I've been thinking of flipping mine and quite a few frugals, and adding a little money to pick up a WG Sub 116619LB (Smurf). I tried one on at a GTG about 6 months ago and was smitten - still am.

With my income and lack of bonuses these days, I had just about given up on getting a PM watch, so the only way to do so was flip. I wasn't willing to do so with the AP RO or BLNR, but the prices of both have gone nuts lately. Now, a PM watch is obtainable if I do some shuffling in the collection with one of my nice pieces and a lot of my frugals. I still can't give up the BLNR, so the AP RO is the only one to consider. While I love it, selling it for nearly double what I paid for it is a rare opportunity in the watch world. Most of us are lucky to make a little and more often, take a loss when our tastes change over time.

So now, back to the point. With the Bvlgaria I still wouldn't have a PM watch, but I would keep the Genta look in my collection and have a very unique piece. Still the WG Sub is calling my name and I love the heft and shade of blue. Probably still going for the Smurf, but this gives me some pause to think, because I could swap, not have to sell anything else and still put some money back in the watch fund account.
Tough choice, but for most I assume the sub would be a no brainer - although for most of us non-ballers, a WG sub would be a grail or exit watch.. I love the look of the Bulgary and it would got a lot of wrist time, but I would only buy one (over the sub) if I was rolling in $$ and could afford to buy it just to add diversity to the collection. If the choice is Bulgary over the Roo, I think it is worth the experiment - it’s a hot watch..
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:27 am

I can’t imagine any normal watch guy buys a watch like this for long term ownership. A quick try and flip? Sure, maybe. I’m going to own this for more than six months? Nah.

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:01 am

A watch that doesn’t tell time? Sure thing!

Panerai7
Name: Art

Post by Panerai7 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:44 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:27 am
I can’t imagine any normal watch guy buys a watch like this for long term ownership. A quick try and flip? Sure, maybe. I’m going to own this for more than six months? Nah.
Yep exactly

goaliechris
Name: Chris

Post by goaliechris » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:56 am

After spending some time with it, I really like it but I agree with the comment in here - if I had FU money this would be a great watch to add to the collection. But for me it’s in a tough price bracket for someone who needs to be more choosy with his funds. I mean it’s in a similar place to the AP RO (or was until the after market went absolutely insane).

That thinness is really impressive in person though.

BacoNoir
Name: Roger

Post by BacoNoir » Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:53 pm

deepcdvr wrote:
BacoNoir wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:49 am
JBZ wrote:

Tough choice, but for most I assume the sub would be a no brainer - although for most of us non-ballers, a WG sub would be a grail or exit watch.. I love the look of the Bulgary and it would got a lot of wrist time, but I would only buy one (over the sub) if I was rolling in $$ and could afford to buy it just to add diversity to the collection. If the choice is Bulgary over the Roo, I think it is worth the experiment - it’s a hot watch..
Yeah, while I dig the chrono, I think the Smurf is the direction I’ll head. I have a call into my AD to see if he’ll still honor the price we discussed last year - not sure since the market’s gone nuts, but he did come through with the discounted BLNR price for me 2 years after I got on the list and the market had already gone nuts on those.
www.simplynoble.net
Time Magazine Person of the Year - 2006