Cray cray Rolex/Tudor story, I would be pissed also

Discussion of Rolex Watches.
toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Cray cray Rolex/Tudor story, I would be pissed also

Post by toxicavenger » Thu May 30, 2019 9:58 pm

From ar15 forum: https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/RSC ... #i79124772
I bought a used Tudor Black Bay Heritage with the in-house movement and sent it to Dallas RSC via an AD as it stopped without notice. I had one year left on the factory warranty and brought the watch and warranty card to the AD.

The watch had a non-rivet genuine Tudor bracelet when sent to Rolex. About a week later I get a call from the AD that there is a problem with my bracelet and I need to buy the rivet bracelet because that was not the bracelet model for that reference. They also told me because it did not have the correct model bracelet, my warranty was now void and it would be $300 for the service plus $850 for the bracelet. No way they would repair the watch unless I paid for both.

Sounds like I violated their almighty don't change the bracelet/strap policy and now I'm on the naughty list.

Heres the kicker - I paid the $1150 for the repair and they kept the bracelet I originally sent in. I really want a sub, but I'm thinking about burning RSC down. I will get the bracelet back but here's the funny thing.

Search eBay for used Rolex parts. There is a seller 15 miles from the Dallas RSC that is listing hands, dials etc. Hmmm could these be from customers' watches?

HapaHapa
Name: Eric

Re: Cray cray Rolex/Tudor story, I would be pissed also

Post by HapaHapa » Thu May 30, 2019 10:08 pm

I know you guys love your Rolex. But, sorry. Fuck Rolex. Or maybe the shady guy on the inside.
The Hapa

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Thu May 30, 2019 10:19 pm

HapaHapa wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 10:08 pm
I know you guys love your Rolex. But, sorry. Fuck Rolex. Or maybe the shady guy on the inside.
Agreed. They have been doing this for a while.

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Fri May 31, 2019 12:02 am

I’ve sent in Rolex head only and told them I wear in on natos. They did warranty service and sent it back same way. No issue.

I suspect the problem is when it comes in wearing the incorrect bracelet/bezel/dial/hands from a different model.

Still sucks.

r.palace

Post by r.palace » Fri May 31, 2019 4:20 am

And he paid the $1150? SMH
ImageImage
Many will register, few will last :htfu:

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire
Name: Paul

Post by deepcdvr » Fri May 31, 2019 5:53 am

faaaaack that would REALLY piss me off.

My one dealing with RSC was actually fantastic. They fixed an in house BB movement that had stopped working for free (I suspect they just swapped out with a new movement) on a watch out of warranty and probably sourced on the grey market. They were gracious on the phone and in writing, apologized for a delay due to the Christmas break and gave me a free OEM manual for the watch and a couple of other swag gifts... I could not be happier with their service. Guess I got lucky?
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Fri May 31, 2019 6:01 am

Mistake 1. The guy sent a frankenwatch. He should have asked to have it returned as-is, an then sent it in to a different rsc head only.

Mistake 2. He sent it in through an AD so he never actually got to talk to Rolex. It was all what his AD said Rolex said.

1954Selmer
Name: RC

Post by 1954Selmer » Fri May 31, 2019 6:03 am

That sounds like a terrible experience and I've never heard of suck crap. Sucks.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Fri May 31, 2019 7:06 am

The biggest issue to me is that either Rolex or the AD should have compensated him for the "surrendered" bracelet. Assuming the full cost of the new bracelet is $850, he should have been credited something against the old bracelet (or, maybe he was - maybe a new bracelet costs more than $850?). Or they should just return the old bracelet to him.

I also would have fought with Rolex and the AD regarding the voided warranty. I'm not sure of the exact wording of the Tudor warranty but, practically speaking, removing or changing a bracelet shouldn't void it - that has no affect on the inner workings of the watch.

The tough thing with these newer Tudors is that they have a new, in-house movement. Which means that an independent may not be able to service them. Which probably means you have to deal with an RSC if you want your watch serviced, so they kind of have you over a barrel.

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Fri May 31, 2019 7:53 am

JBZ wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 7:06 am
The biggest issue to me is that either Rolex or the AD should have compensated him for the "surrendered" bracelet. Assuming the full cost of the new bracelet is $850, he should have been credited something against the old bracelet (or, maybe he was - maybe a new bracelet costs more than $850?). Or they should just return the old bracelet to him.

I also would have fought with Rolex and the AD regarding the voided warranty. I'm not sure of the exact wording of the Tudor warranty but, practically speaking, removing or changing a bracelet shouldn't void it - that has no affect on the inner workings of the watch.

The tough thing with these newer Tudors is that they have a new, in-house movement. Which means that an independent may not be able to service them. Which probably means you have to deal with an RSC if you want your watch serviced, so they kind of have you over a barrel.
The guy should be pissed at his AD. They should have been on the ball enough to realize that the guy had an in-house BB with an ETA bracelet and warned him to send it as a head only.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer

Post by JBZ » Fri May 31, 2019 8:03 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 7:53 am
JBZ wrote:

The guy should be pissed at his AD. They should have been on the ball enough to realize that the guy had an in-house BB with an ETA bracelet and warned him to send it as a head only.
I agree. They may have been clueless or, if he wasn't a regular customer, they may not have cared. Based on his version of events, I do think he may have some recourse, at least with regard to the bracelet. Of course, in the grand scheme of things, it's a small amount of money. But I'd go back at the AD and see if they'd be willing to at least split the cost of the service and compensate him for the lost bracelet. If not, he could file a complaint with his state's AG and/or consumer protection agency. He could always pursue a small claims action if he wants to take the time.

Probably not worth hiring a lawyer given the amount of money, but he might find someone who would give him a free consultation.

logan2z
IT Admin
Name: Andrew

Post by logan2z » Fri May 31, 2019 8:05 am

So they stole the guy's bracelet?

Why on Earth do people put up with nonsense like this? Blows my mind.

Rolex: The soup Nazi of the watch world.

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Fri May 31, 2019 8:07 am

JBZ wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 8:03 am
JP Chestnut wrote:
JBZ wrote:

I agree. They may have been clueless or, if he wasn't a regular customer, they may not have cared. Based on his version of events, I do think he may have some recourse, at least with regard to the bracelet. Of course, in the grand scheme of things, it's a small amount of money. But I'd go back at the AD and see if they'd be willing to at least split the cost of the service and compensate him for the lost bracelet. If not, he could file a complaint with his state's AG and/or consumer protection agency. He could always pursue a small claims action if he wants to take the time.

Probably not worth hiring a lawyer given the amount of money, but he might find someone who would give him a free consultation.
You're right. Also, I think "swapped the bracelet so now your entire warranty is void" is not a legally sound argument, since that would appear to violate the magnus morris act. The auto brands have definitely been smacked down for "you changed your wheels, so your engine warranty is void" stuff. I guess Rolex needs to get one too.

logan2z
IT Admin

Post by logan2z » Fri May 31, 2019 8:20 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
JBZ wrote:

Do you realize how ridiculous that sounds? For all of Richemont's flaws, do you honestly think they'd refuse to service my Panerai if I sent it in on an aftermarket strap?

These stories make it all the more unlikely that I'll ever own anything made by Rolex.

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Fri May 31, 2019 8:32 am

logan2z wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 8:20 am
JP Chestnut wrote:
JBZ wrote:

Do you realize how ridiculous that sounds? For all of Richemont's flaws, do you honestly think they'd refuse to service my Panerai if I sent it in on an aftermarket strap?

These stories make it all the more unlikely that I'll ever own anything made by Rolex.
It's patently stupid that Rolex wouldn't give the guy his bracelet back. However, you're creating a false equivalency. PAMs are designed to have user customized straps. In fact, don't some have a sort of quick release to make it easy?

Rolex, and Tudor, on the other hand have bracelets that are designed to be as hard to take off as possible AND those bracelets are only sold as a one-for-one swap. Had the guy sent his watch in on some custom leather strap (or NATO) it would have been no problem - same as your PAM example.

Try swapping a dial on your PAM and see Richemont says. The guy mixed and matched parts between references. He didn't order a new leather strap and then fit it. There's a difference.

Nobody thinks that Rolex is cool about this sort of thing. I tried to buy a Jubilee bracelet for my GMT2 and they would only sell it to me if I shipped them the watch head only and they fit it. I don't own a Jubilee bracelet!

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer

Post by JBZ » Fri May 31, 2019 8:32 am

logan2z wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
JBZ wrote:

Beating up on Rolex is fine, but the horror stories that people have experienced with any of the large manufacturers are too long to catalogue. Panerai packaged a shitty ETA movement in a nice looking case and suckered a bunch of people into paying a premium for a limited edition, which was ironically designed to celebrate the Brooklyn Bridge. I haven't heard particularly wonderful things about Seiko's service, either. Or Patek's.

In this case, I think the seller has recourse against both Rolex and the AD, assuming what he's saying is accurate. But thousands of people have sent their watches to be serviced to a RSC without any problem, just as they no doubt have done with Panerai.

logan2z
IT Admin

Post by logan2z » Fri May 31, 2019 8:53 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 8:32 am
logan2z wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
JBZ wrote:

It's patently stupid that Rolex wouldn't give the guy his bracelet back. However, you're creating a false equivalency. PAMs are designed to have user customized straps. In fact, don't some have a sort of quick release to make it easy?

Rolex, and Tudor, on the other hand have bracelets that are designed to be as hard to take off as possible AND those bracelets are only sold as a one-for-one swap. Had the guy sent his watch in on some custom leather strap (or NATO) it would have been no problem - same as your PAM example.

Try swapping a dial on your PAM and see Richemont says. The guy mixed and matched parts between references. He didn't order a new leather strap and then fit it. There's a difference.

Nobody thinks that Rolex is cool about this sort of thing. I tried to buy a Jubilee bracelet for my GMT2 and they would only sell it to me if I shipped them the watch head only and they fit it. I don't own a Jubilee bracelet!
So you're saying that, because Rolex makes the bracelets as difficult to remove as possible, the bracelet is considered such an integral part of the watch that removing it could have some deleterious affect on the watch's operation and therefore voids its warranty? And you think that removing the watch bracelet is equivalent to opening a watch case and screwing around with the watch's internals in order to swap out the dial? Sorry, but I think that any reasonable, thinking person would call that nonsense.

If I'm spending many thousands of dollars on a luxury trinket like a wristwatch then I don't want to be told how to use it, who I can/cannot sell it to, or which OEM bracelet I'm allowed to wear it on. I just don't see enough value in owning a Rolex to subject myself to that sort of insanity.

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Fri May 31, 2019 8:59 am

logan2z wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 8:53 am
JP Chestnut wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 8:32 am
logan2z wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
JBZ wrote:

So you're saying that, because Rolex makes the bracelets as difficult to remove as possible, the bracelet is considered such an integral part of the watch that removing it could have some deleterious affect on the watch's operation and therefore voids its warranty?
I like you Andrew:
JP Chestnut wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 8:07 am
… I think "swapped the bracelet so now your entire warranty is void" is not a legally sound argument, since that would appear to violate the magnus morris act (sp) . The auto brands have definitely been smacked down for "you changed your wheels, so your engine warranty is void" stuff. I guess Rolex needs to get one too.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson– ... rranty_Act

Rolex would almost surely lose a lawsuit due to their warranty practices - which are shit.

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Fri May 31, 2019 9:09 am

Rolex is stupid, but that guy seemingly willingly bent over.
:htfu:

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Fri May 31, 2019 9:15 am

matt.wu wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 9:09 am
Rolex is stupid, but that guy seemingly willingly bent over.
Anytime you have the AD acting as the middle man, and something goes wrong, things get stupid. Rolex wouldn't even talk to this guy directly since the AD sent it in for him. Even if he's relating the story told to him perfectly, there's no guaranty that the AD didn't filter it for their own benefit.

The thing that nobody has commented on is how cheap the Tudor service was. In 2019, $300 is a damn cheap price for an overhaul. Their "swap not service" policy is leading to some fast and cheap watch fixes.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer

Post by JBZ » Fri May 31, 2019 9:26 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 9:15 am

The thing that nobody has commented on is how cheap the Tudor service was. In 2019, $300 is a damn cheap price for an overhaul. Their "swap not service" policy is leading to some fast and cheap watch fixes.
Truth. I don't think my local guy would do a standard ETA for $300.

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Post by BBK357 » Fri May 31, 2019 9:43 am

Wait- so Rolex stole a bracelet because it was on the wrong model?

I would report it to someone. Total BS.
If it was fake or aftermarket- I understand. But it was a real bracelet made by them... so what happens to it? Evidence lock up like the police do? Absolutely insane

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Fri May 31, 2019 9:44 am

BBK357 wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 9:43 am
so what happens to it? Evidence lock up like the police do?
No. It gets sold on the forums at some price above whatever Rolex charges.

logan2z
IT Admin

Post by logan2z » Fri May 31, 2019 10:04 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 9:44 am
BBK357 wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 9:43 am
so what happens to it? Evidence lock up like the police do?
No. It gets sold on the forums at some price above whatever Rolex charges.
:grin:

59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!
Name: David

Post by 59yukon01 » Fri May 31, 2019 10:18 am

We changed the slightly worn tires on your car because that's not the ones that came with it originally. That will be $1000, and we're keeping the others just because we can.

You come back two weeks.......we fuck you more.