There seems to be an issue with Rolex's supply

Discussion of Rolex Watches.
logan2z
IT Admin
Name: Andrew

There seems to be an issue with Rolex's supply

Post by logan2z » Fri May 17, 2019 7:53 am

Saw this posted on another forum today and thought it was humorous. Apparently this was shot at the Dubai Mall's Rolex Boutique today (purportedly the largest Rolex boutique in the world):

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Re: There seems to be an issue with Rolex's supply

Post by Chocodove » Fri May 17, 2019 7:58 am

Lol. That’s because they are all here:

- Todd

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Fri May 17, 2019 8:01 am

The safe in the back is overflowing.

logan2z
IT Admin
Name: Andrew

Post by logan2z » Fri May 17, 2019 8:02 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 8:01 am
The safe in the back is overflowing.
:lol:

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Fri May 17, 2019 8:09 am

Maybe it's a conscious minimalist artistic choice.

HapaHapa
Name: Eric

Post by HapaHapa » Fri May 17, 2019 8:32 am

logan2z wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 7:53 am
Saw this posted on another forum today and thought it was humorous. Apparently this was shot at the Dubai Mall's Rolex Boutique today (purportedly the largest Rolex boutique in the world):

Customers are required to buy the one that is offered to get on the list for anything else.
The Hapa

59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!
Name: David

Post by 59yukon01 » Fri May 17, 2019 8:41 am

Probably some rich Saudi Prince bought them all with his oil money.

After all if the can pay $450 mil for a Leonardo da Vinci painting anything is possible.

CoachH
Name: Joe

Post by CoachH » Fri May 17, 2019 9:06 am

Very similar case at two Rolex AD’s I’ve visited in the Houston area recently.

Neither had any sports models - zero - not even a milguass

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Fri May 17, 2019 8:37 pm

a bunch of ad's are closing also. i know two rolex certified repairs shops that had their parts account taken. rolex said they want to only send parts to RSC now.

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Sat May 18, 2019 4:05 am

toxicavenger wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 8:37 pm
a bunch of ad's are closing also. i know two rolex certified repairs shops that had their parts account taken. rolex said they want to only send parts to RSC now.
This is the way to control your supply chain. Rolex serializes their products and I’m sure tracks which AD gets which serial number. They also track who purchases which serial number from the AD.

When the watch comes in for service to RSC (now the only option), Rolex can check the current owner against the buyer in their records.

One or two non matching current owners versus buyers is probably nothing (gifts, flips, etc.), but if Rolex starts seeing a large enough number of watches coming in from owners not matching their list all with serial numbers linked to a single AD, they now have a clue about a potential grey market supplier.

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Sat May 18, 2019 4:37 am

^^^ that’s a good point, but Patek does it better. They actually get the new buyer to go online and register the warranty in their name at the time of purchase. That way they don’t need to wait until the watch comes in.

Chocodove

Post by Chocodove » Sat May 18, 2019 5:47 am

JP Chestnut wrote:^^^ that’s a good point, but Patek does it better. They actually get the new buyer to go online and register the warranty in their name at the time of purchase. That way they don’t need to wait until the watch comes in.
Wasn’t Rolex swiping the card or something like that at the point of sale to activate the warranty? The card for my Sub is in my name, but I have no idea what that would mean if I ever tried for warranty service since it was bought grey (back when there used to be actual discounts for doing that).
- Todd

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Sat May 18, 2019 5:55 am

Chocodove wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 5:47 am
JP Chestnut wrote:^^^ that’s a good point, but Patek does it better. They actually get the new buyer to go online and register the warranty in their name at the time of purchase. That way they don’t need to wait until the watch comes in.
Wasn’t Rolex swiping the card or something like that at the point of sale to activate the warranty? The card for my Sub is in my name, but I have no idea what that would mean if I ever tried for warranty service since it was bought grey (back when there used to be actual discounts for doing that).
RSC Dallas doesn’t care about the name on the card. RSC NY will give you shit if your name isn’t on the card AND the AD isn’t from the USA, AND you don’t have the original sales recipe.

The nice thing about Patek is their method is proactive, whereas Rolex requires the watch to come into an RSC before detecting the sale. Rolex are pretty reliable, so the vast majority of flipped watches won’t hit an RSC within five years.

Chocodove

Post by Chocodove » Sat May 18, 2019 7:10 am

Seppia wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:RSC NY will give you shit if your name isn’t on the card AND the AD isn’t from the USA, AND you don’t have the original sales recipe.
Fits with the experience I had when I tried to ask for some help in sizing a Tudor bracelet.
They were so disgustingly unpleasant that I ended up walking away and getting into the Wempe store across the street.
The guy was so nice I tipped him $30, and as a thank you he gave me the screwdriver as a gift.

I wouldn’t buy a Rolex from the NY store if it was the last one on earth.
I had the same experience with NY when I tried to use them a few years ago for a very minor issue (dust under crystal) for a watch under warranty. My name wasn’t on the card for that particular one and they gave me a real hassle. Dallas took care of it no questions asked. Sucked because at the time they were literally right around the corner from where I used to work.
- Todd

Panerai7
Name: Art

Post by Panerai7 » Sat May 18, 2019 7:32 am

My AD hasn't seen a Pepsi since last October.
What the f was the point of showing watches at Basel if they don't sell them at AD. Maybe Basel should start inviting TRF dealers instead :)

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Sat May 18, 2019 10:48 am

Ryeguy wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 4:05 am
toxicavenger wrote:
This is the way to control your supply chain. Rolex serializes their products and I’m sure tracks which AD gets which serial number. They also track who purchases which serial number from the AD.

When the watch comes in for service to RSC (now the only option), Rolex can check the current owner against the buyer in their records.

One or two non matching current owners versus buyers is probably nothing (gifts, flips, etc.), but if Rolex starts seeing a large enough number of watches coming in from owners not matching their list all with serial numbers linked to a single AD, they now have a clue about a potential grey market supplier.
Maybe true but these two sellers weren't selling anything to grey market sellers. Hell they could barely get stock to sell anything.

dinnyf
Name: Dinny FitzPatrick

Post by dinnyf » Sat May 18, 2019 11:48 am

Ryeguy wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 4:05 am
toxicavenger wrote:

Yes, but Rolex’s deliberate refusal to supply that’s incentivizing the grey market (at least in significant part).

Perhaps this is Rolex’s version of Burberry’s inventory burn.

Selym
Name: Myles

Post by Selym » Sat May 18, 2019 2:40 pm

There's a vindictive part of me that hopes Rolex's scheme backfires on them. :stir:

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Sat May 18, 2019 2:52 pm

Punishing end users is the absolute wrong strategy. Rolex can certainly audit their AD’s and determine which ones sell quantity to single purchasers, then address the issue with those specific dealers.

1954Selmer
Name: RC

Post by 1954Selmer » Sat May 18, 2019 3:48 pm

I haven't noticed a supply problem, because I own the two greatest Rolex watches that God has created.

sierra11b
Name: Eric

Re: There seems to be an issue with Rolex's supplys

Post by sierra11b » Sun May 19, 2019 7:46 am

Family owned AD recently shuttered store #3 of 3 in Sacramento. Now only their original store is open as they closed store #2 a couple years ago. They still have their AD status at the original store.

Devon’s in Stockton had a decent selection. ExpII, 1ea Exp1, Milgauss, and a bunch of precious metal. Would have been a great time to be made of money for a bundle deal as they had both green gmt and gold sub...