Samurai style case, bright colors, surely expensive. SMH

TSD
Name: Tom

Re: New no date GS divers

Post by TSD » Tue May 07, 2019 2:55 pm

hoppyjr wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 2:31 pm
Kinda looks like the Ti case from the high beat GS diver. Those are cool but ginormous.

Torrid
Name: Heath

Post by Torrid » Tue May 07, 2019 2:56 pm

Quartz diver is completely up my alley right now but the size of this and the yellow accents. Pass.

streetracer101
Name: Mr Shackleford

Post by streetracer101 » Tue May 07, 2019 3:17 pm

hoppyjr wrote:
MSRP of $4300. GTHO. Seiko has lost their damn minds with pricing.

Torrid

Post by Torrid » Tue May 07, 2019 4:04 pm

streetracer101 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 3:17 pm
hoppyjr wrote:
MSRP of $4300. GTHO. Seiko has lost their damn minds with pricing.
For half that they might have an argument, but it’s just the wrong proportions. The Tuna is still the best value in Seiko quartz divers, but it would be nice to have a dressier looking more traditional option too.

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Tue May 07, 2019 4:34 pm

Honestly, I don’t understand how Seiko doesn’t go out of business.

Torrid

Post by Torrid » Tue May 07, 2019 4:36 pm

JP Chestnut wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 4:34 pm
I guess they are selling enough Tunas and NAFTs.

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Tue May 07, 2019 4:39 pm

Torrid wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 4:36 pm
JP Chestnut wrote:
Yeah. Clearly, releasing a million different huge models that nobody buys doesn’t really harm them. I can’t think of a brand that offers such a huge number of watches that SEEM to be almost universally hated. Maybe somebody buys all those butt ugly SD chronographs? I’ve never met someone who has.

Torrid

Post by Torrid » Tue May 07, 2019 4:50 pm

JP Chestnut wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 4:39 pm
Torrid wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
Yeah. Clearly, releasing a million different huge models that nobody buys doesn’t really harm them. I can’t think of a brand that offers such a huge number of watches that SEEM to be almost universally hated. Maybe somebody buys all those butt ugly SD chronographs? I’ve never met someone who has.
Must be it. They’ve made the Marinemaster worse. It’s not bad it’s just less iconic looking with that stupid PS “X”. It’s unobtrusive on the Tuna being only on the crown, but I really don’t like it on the NAFT, though easier to forgive at that price. The SD versions of everything are all larger than they need to be. I like that one Presage Chrono with the 8R48 auto, but given its price it does not seem popular. I really don’t get what’s going on over there. The prices keep going up and unless they are popular affordable models or ridiculously priced popular LEs I can’t imagine they are moving many watches.

sierra11b
Name: Eric

Post by sierra11b » Tue May 07, 2019 5:48 pm

Torrid wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
And tens of thousands of strip mall watches in the $100-300 range across the world. :shrug:

I bet this wears well with the samuari-style case but if I'm getting a GS quartz it would be their latest true GMT.

GS quartz (or any GS) seems like a watch you need to buy from a domestic AD at discount so you don't have to deal with the headache of service and can just send it back to the shop you bought it from so they can deal with the hassle and correspondence.

I've bought from Higuichi and Chino on the idea their warrantied watches could be serviced with an email or two by my fluent Japanese wife on sending it back directly to Seiko, but even that didn't stick for me. I'm done sending watches overseas on my watch with the exception of my personally engraved Dornbluth 99.1, but I'm stuck with that one.

It's been awhile since I researched Seiko USA's capabilities... Can they swap the GS battery and pressure test?

TSD

Post by TSD » Tue May 07, 2019 6:19 pm

sierra11b wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 5:48 pm

It's been awhile since I researched Seiko USA's capabilities... Can they swap the GS battery and pressure test?
Seiko’s Service Center in Mahwah did warranty service on my GS Spring Drive diver (replaced scratched crystal, serviced movement), all at no cost. :thumbsup:

Torrid

Post by Torrid » Tue May 07, 2019 6:21 pm

sierra11b wrote:
Torrid wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
And tens of thousands of strip mall watches in the $100-300 range across the world. :shrug:

I bet this wears well with the samuari-style case but if I'm getting a GS quartz it would be their latest true GMT.

GS quartz (or any GS) seems like a watch you need to buy from a domestic AD at discount so you don't have to deal with the headache of service and can just send it back to the shop you bought it from so they can deal with the hassle and correspondence.

I've bought from Higuichi and Chino on the idea their warrantied watches could be serviced with an email or two by my fluent Japanese wife on sending it back directly to Seiko, but even that didn't stick for me. I'm done sending watches overseas on my watch with the exception of my personally engraved Dornbluth 99.1, but I'm stuck with that one.

I would assume they’d offer the service. I have a coupon for battery service for my Tuna, but it has a Japanese warranty card and mentions it has to return to the selling dealer for the complimentary battery change.

Torrid

Post by Torrid » Tue May 07, 2019 6:22 pm

TSD wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 6:19 pm
sierra11b wrote:

Seiko’s Service Center in Mahwah did warranty service on my GS Spring Drive diver (replaced scratched crystal, serviced movement), all at no cost. :thumbsup:
Scratched crystal? Was it sapphire? I know it can happen to sapphire but it’s much less likely.

sierra11b
Name: Eric

Post by sierra11b » Tue May 07, 2019 6:26 pm

Torrid wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 6:22 pm
TSD wrote:
sierra11b wrote:

Scratched crystal? Was it sapphire? I know it can happen to sapphire but it’s much less likely.
It can happen. I had it happen to my 116710LN after a brisk wrist brush with some stainless steel in the kitchen I was running. Put a nice clean line through the crystal and the ceramic bezel! Amazing the bezel didn't snap and there wasn't a scratch on the SS bezel itself. I ended-up flipping it at a significant cost for a used milgauss GV with a "trusted seller" plus $500 IIRC. Didn't want the headache. :raised:

Granted I'd never do that again. Must have lost at least $1000 on that deal. Money was a bit better then.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Tue May 07, 2019 6:43 pm

sierra11b wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 6:26 pm
Torrid wrote:
TSD wrote:
sierra11b wrote:

It can happen. I had it happen to my 116710LN after a brisk wrist brush with some stainless steel in the kitchen I was running. Put a nice clean line through the crystal and the ceramic bezel! Amazing the bezel didn't snap and there wasn't a scratch on the SS bezel itself. I ended-up flipping it at a significant cost for a used milgauss GV with a "trusted seller" plus $500 IIRC. Didn't want the headache. :raised:
It definitely happens. I am thinking these days that the sappire used for watches is a different grade of sapphire than what they publish about only being "scratched by a diamond".

Seiko NJ replaced the battery in GS diver and pressure tested it. They can also service most US Grand Seiko's. JDM watches is another story though.

TSD

Post by TSD » Tue May 07, 2019 7:29 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 6:43 pm
sierra11b wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 6:26 pm
Torrid wrote:
TSD wrote:
sierra11b wrote:

It definitely happens. I am thinking these days that the sappire used for watches is a different grade of sapphire than what they publish about only being "scratched by a diamond".

Seiko NJ replaced the battery in GS diver and pressure tested it. They can also service most US Grand Seiko's. JDM watches is another story though.
Sapphire meet wife’s diamond ring. One quick blow and it left a nice clean scratch in the crystal. And not just any sapphire, mind you, but a “high definition sapphire” according to Joe Kirk. He had me send it into Mahwah, and GS Service covered the replacement crystal and a whole movement service under warranty. I am still beyond stoked, since my watch was at least 5 years old when I purchased from Feldmar. Made me appreciate their CS and more importantly, the brand as a whole.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Wed May 08, 2019 6:19 am

sierra11b wrote:
Torrid wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
I think it's a lot of this. My guess is that a huge percentage of folks who wear a watch have owned a Seiko at some point in their life. I wore a basic Seiko quartz watch from high school until a few years after law school. They're arguably the most ubiquitous watch brand in the world. Maybe them and Timex?

My guess is that it costs Seiko next to nothing to pump out their quartz "mall watches." While they're reasonably priced to the consumer, I'm sure the mark-up is huge.

Which allows them to put out watches that no one asked for or needs - like these.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Wed May 08, 2019 8:50 am

shitty pics like always but the case shape reminds me of the previous quartz sport watches.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Wed May 08, 2019 8:51 am

Seppia wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 7:18 am
Timex is essentially America only.
Seiko is worldwide, and has a near duopoly (with Casio) on wrists across the developing countries in Asia.

I would bet seiko sells at least ten times more watches than timex
You're probably right. I thought Timex did pretty good international business with its Ironman line, but maybe it is just the US. And I forgot about Casio - you can get a G Shock that does everything a Timex Ironman does, and more.

FoulOwl On The Prowl
Name: Steve

Post by FoulOwl On The Prowl » Thu May 09, 2019 2:59 pm

IMG_5091.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.