Full Circle

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
smalls
Name: Matt

Full Circle

Post by smalls » Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:41 pm

Been a little while since a proper post so I figure I’d share some of what I’ve been doing the past few months.

In May of 2016 I took a leap of faith and sold a Submariner and a Speedmaster for a 116600 Sea-dweller. The Sub was starting to feel a little plain and the chunkier SD seemed like it may scratch the itch as it’s a little more interesting on the wrist with the He valve, matte dial, slimmer lugs, and I’m a sucker for a raised crystal. It arrived and I was smitten. This was the one for me. Casual enough for everyday and checked off that “collector” box in the watchbox. I wore it for the next two years doing everything from snow tubing with the kids, crabbing on the coast, kayaking down the New river, and tons of stuff in between.

And then Rolex quit producing...I started watching the price creep up and up and up. For awhile it was all background noise while I enjoyed my watch but like most bad ideas I’ve had I started thinking about what I could do with the extra money or more importantly, what other piece could I get. Frequenting the forums never helps. I got swept up in the shortage craze and turned my sights to the BLNR. It arrived and to this day it’s probably the most beautiful watch that I’ve owned imo. The two color ceramic and blue gmt hand really are something to see on the wrist.

I quickly learned with the BLNR however, as nice as it is, that I am not a fan of polished center links and was constantly worried about scratching them. I also rarely travel far enough to take advantage of the GMT feature on a regular basis so the whole concept just felt lost on me.

From here, I directed my attention to another “hot” piece that I had been clamoring to try. The 116610lv aka The Hulk. I believed I have watched every YouTube video pertaining to this piece at least twice. It’s one of those polar love it or hate it watches. And without being able to try one on I didn’t have a clue on which side of the fence I sat. So off the blnr went in place of a Sub. Now take note that this is supposed to be my everyday watch.

The Sub arrived and I’ll say that it was a whole lotta green. Now in a collection with multiple other pieces that could be a good thing and I have heard of folks who wear this as their daily no problem, but for me, it was just a bit much. Paired up in the right collection this could have some staying power for me but not as my primary go to.

By this time I was started to get more and more bummed for ever letting my SD4K go. What was I thinking? But prices continued to creep up to where there was just no replacing it. So I traded the green Sub for a black Sub 116610ln and the new 2018 Seamaster in blue. These two would be it for me and the SD would just be the one that got away.

So the Sub and Omega arrive and wouldn’t ya know it, the date magnifier on the Sub was slightly off. A lot of folks would say send it off to RSC and have them fix it but who knows if it would come back right and I just didn’t wanna deal with the hassle, coupled with the fact that I am now truly missing the SD and realizing what a bone head move I had made.

So I said screw it, bit the bullet and traded my Sub and Explorer for an SD. It definitely hurt paying the premium for a watch I had picked up for quite a bit less two years ago but the Explorer was seeing less and less wrist time and the Sub with it’s stupid date bubble was pissing me off every time I wore it.

So here it is, my Sea-dweller 4000 aka SD4K. I’m just as in love with it as the first time I owned it and I will never ever be letting this go. I’m glad I was able to still find one in such great shape but hate I had to lose the Explorer to get it. It was a hard lesson to learn but I think it’s gonna stick now. And I can pick up another Explorer in the future.

Moral of the story, don’t get caught up in the hype and pictures you see on social media. Go with your gut and wear what you like, not the masses.

TL:DR- bought SD4K, was stupid and sold it, bought it back

Last edited by smalls on Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Re: Full Circle

Post by toxicavenger » Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:44 pm

Nice! I have done full circles and figure 8's for a lot of years.

rockmastermike
Feedback Virtuoso
Name: WDE

Post by rockmastermike » Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:48 pm

Proper post and Proper watch!

dukerules

Post by dukerules » Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:59 pm

The right answer is always Sea-Dweller.

Nellipj
Name: Patrick

Post by Nellipj » Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:12 pm

It’s always nice when you figure out what works for you. Congratulations on going full circle.

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:22 pm

:clap:

It’ll only get tougher to get. Congrats!

:htfu:

bpax
Name: Bill

Post by bpax » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:03 pm

:salute:

Steve O.
Name: Uh, Steve

Post by Steve O. » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:46 pm

Very insightful post. I've been down the same road many times, and have spent a fair amount of money coming full circle back to something that I should have never let go in the first place.
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things." - George Carlin

Jeep99dad
Grand-père
Name: Brice

Post by Jeep99dad » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:52 pm

Great post.
In hindsight I should have kept mine too :)
But i refuse to pay the current premium for a SubC or SDc. Just can’t do it... yet anyway :)
Merde Alors! Et Vive Les Francais! :)

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:56 pm

Many of us have make a similar full circle, others just a circle jerk.

Congrats :cheers:

93 Turbo
Name: Jules

Post by 93 Turbo » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:21 pm

Nice one, the Rolex watches I've moved/traded I won't be hunting down. Rarely wear a 40mm watch these days. 43mm + is the direction I'll be heading.
Strength is = 2 or > than "tipping over a so- called smart car plastered in “Coexist” bumper stickers".

Pat McNamara.

blkgsl
Herro!!!
Name: blkgsl

Post by blkgsl » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:26 pm

Nothing wrong with that at all. I just did the same thing yesterday - bought back a 116600 - this one to keep! Congrats!

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:14 am

Great Post!

mattcantwin
mattcreatestonsofwatchrelateddrama

Post by mattcantwin » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:51 am

Great post; happy beginning, happy ending - full circle! :thumbsup:

PGERRITY
Name: Pat

Post by PGERRITY » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:56 am

Man, I’ve been down that road so many times . I have the SubC and the 16600... and I struggle with the redundancy in a small collection. I have toyed with selling both and grabbing the SD4k to scratch both itches...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RALAustin
Name: Rob

Post by RALAustin » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:35 am

Love it!

jswing
Founder, TDWC MM300 Fan Club
Name: Jeff

Post by jswing » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:57 am

Congrats on getting back the SD. The SubC ND is the one that got away for me, but I can't bring myself to pay current prices after selling my last one for thousands less than what they're going for now. I did just get an Explorer, which is another one that I let go and shouldn't have.

raf42
Fister
Name: Rob

Post by raf42 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:00 am

Great story, pictures, and conclusion. :salute:

My personal opinion (which I'm sure many will not agree with) is that the 116600 is the best sport watch Rolex has ever made. Beefed up enough to have great wrist presence and specs, but not maxi-lug like current subs, or "mini" lug like older version that wore a bit small for me (regardless, they are all very nice).

Just got an Everest rubber strap for mine and love it for a change. Gives the watch a very different feel from the bracelet and other options, but feels like it was made for it.

Much as the funds from selling it would be nice to scratch the desire for other watches, I'll likely never sell it as there is sentimental value in how I got mine, and it's just got too much going for it. The fact it will likely continue to hold/gain in value does not hurt either.

smalls

Post by smalls » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:26 am

Thanks guys!

And it looks great on the rubber. I may have to try that at some point.

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:28 am

jswing wrote:Congrats on getting back the SD. The SubC ND is the one that got away for me, but I can't bring myself to pay current prices after selling my last one for thousands less than what they're going for now. I did just get an Explorer, which is another one that I let go and shouldn't have.
Same here. Same watch.

I also want another Explorer + 114060 combo. I can’t believe I owned both at the same time and still sold both.

unsub073
Name: chris

Post by unsub073 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:29 am

Really cool story about the chase. :cheers:

AtomicTom
Nuclear Personality!!!!
Name: Tom

Post by AtomicTom » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:32 am

Whoa, beyond cool Matt. :salute: Such a terrific story, and message ! :clap: Thanks
a ton for taking the time to do all this, and show us what you have been up to.

jswing
Founder, TDWC MM300 Fan Club
Name: Jeff

Post by jswing » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:02 am

hoppyjr wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:28 am
jswing wrote:Congrats on getting back the SD. The SubC ND is the one that got away for me, but I can't bring myself to pay current prices after selling my last one for thousands less than what they're going for now. I did just get an Explorer, which is another one that I let go and shouldn't have.
Same here. Same watch.

I also want another Explorer + 114060 combo. I can’t believe I owned both at the same time and still sold both.
Yup, I had both at once too. I can't believe how much the SubC has skyrocketed. Of course AFTER I sold it.. The Explorer/BB58 combo is working out pretty well, but I do still lust for a SubC.

smalls

Post by smalls » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:18 am

I hear you guys on the Sub. It’s really great and for what ever reason my collection just doesn’t feel right without some sort of Sub/ Sea-dweller variant in it.

Has anyone tried the OP 39? The white dial looks great in pics.

Ruggs
Name: Andrew

Post by Ruggs » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:38 pm

Great post!