Tips for buying Rolex used?

Discussion of Rolex Watches.
3migo
Name: Russell

Tips for buying Rolex used?

Post by 3migo » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:03 pm

So I'm considering picking up my first Rolex, and I'm looking heavily at the 214270.

With it being Rolex, obviously counterfeits/fakes are a big concern when it comes to buying used.

Does anyone have any tips on a process to follow when evaluating watches for sale, and how to verify authenticity?

Looking forward to your collective advice.

smalls
Name: Matt

Re: Tips for buying Rolex used?

Post by smalls » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:06 pm

There are some “trusted sellers” (davidsw, Takuya, ocrolexguy etc.) on the various forums. You’ll pay a little more but it’s peace of mind.

Nellipj
Name: Patrick

Post by Nellipj » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:29 pm

smalls wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:06 pm
There are some “trusted sellers” (davidsw, Takuya, ocrolexguy etc.) on the various forums. You’ll pay a little more but it’s peace of mind.
+1 on this. Unless M@ has something for you. I’ve used all 3 of the above at some point.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:30 pm

As stated, for a new or gently used modern Rolex, you should be okay with any one a number of the "trusted sellers." Your best bet is probably taking a look at the "who's who" section at TRF to get a sense of who those folks are, but you'd be fine with the three Matt listed.

To me, the bigger issue is that, due to the AD shortage going on right now, Rolex sports models are all selling on the grey market at a price equal to or, more likely, higher than MSRP. MSRP on a 214270 is $6,550 according to the Rolex website. Currently DavidSW has a new one listed on his website for $7,025 and a pre-owned one for $6,475.

So, if you're not in a rush, it might be worth visiting a Rolex AD to see what they have (the Explorer I probably isn't as popular as some of the other sports models like the Sub or GMT - you might get lucky). Even if they don't have anything in stock, you can see how long it will take them to get one in for you.

You get complete peace of mind with an AD, and it might be the way to go if there isn't much difference in price (though you may have to pay sales tax).

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Post by Chocodove » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:34 pm

A forum dealer can have a brand new one at your door within 24 hours or less. But, as mentioned, you’ll pay for the privilege.

I wish I was in the market for another 214270. If I were, I’d go with Jeff’s advice and feel out a few AD’s before going in another direction.
- Todd

3migo

Post by 3migo » Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:15 pm

JBZ wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:30 pm
As stated, for a new or gently used modern Rolex, you should be okay with any one a number of the "trusted sellers." Your best bet is probably taking a look at the "who's who" section at TRF to get a sense of who those folks are, but you'd be fine with the three Matt listed.

To me, the bigger issue is that, due to the AD shortage going on right now, Rolex sports models are all selling on the grey market at a price equal to or, more likely, higher than MSRP. MSRP on a 214270 is $6,550 according to the Rolex website. Currently DavidSW has a new one listed on his website for $7,025 and a pre-owned one for $6,475.

So, if you're not in a rush, it might be worth visiting a Rolex AD to see what they have (the Explorer I probably isn't as popular as some of the other sports models like the Sub or GMT - you might get lucky). Even if they don't have anything in stock, you can see how long it will take them to get one in for you.

You get complete peace of mind with an AD, and it might be the way to go if there isn't much difference in price (though you may have to pay sales tax).
Our local Rolex AD hasn't had any sports models besides a Yachtmaster in ages. Maybe a Milgauss here and there. Nada on Explorers, unfortunately.

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:38 pm

3migo wrote:
JBZ wrote:

Our local Rolex AD hasn't had any sports models besides a Yachtmaster in ages. Maybe a Milgauss here and there. Nada on Explorers, unfortunately.
Call around to other AD’s in other states. Use google to find them (or the Rolex USA website). Another benefit to an out of state dealer is the potential for no sales tax, depending on your state laws.

jimyritz
Masshole
Name: Mike

Post by jimyritz » Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:58 pm

smalls wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:06 pm
==============

Buy from an AD it's cheaper ;) Sorry but David Orlando's prices are sky high..I bought from OCRolexguy and it was a very smooth deal.

jimyritz
Masshole
Name: Mike

Post by jimyritz » Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:03 pm

hoppyjr wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:38 pm
3migo wrote:
JBZ wrote:

Call around to other AD’s in other states. Use google to find them (or the Rolex USA website). Another benefit to an out of state dealer is the potential for no sales tax, depending on your state laws.
===============
Many AD's are keeping the most popular models in the back or in their safe- Trying to avoid grey mkt buyers/flippers, etc...

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:05 pm

don't

sierra11b
Name: Eric

Post by sierra11b » Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:14 pm

214270 should be relatively easy to find through a trusted seller. DeVons recently called me out of the blue saying they had one for me but I passed having recently put that money into a PO. 220 Lincoln Center, Stockton, CA 95207.

It's the only part of Stockton that's worth a damn and the owner is cool as hell and knows his watches. You could call as see if they have it still (209) 951-9610 and drop my name as having recently passed. You could always get on their list as they obviously put you down if serious.

3migo

Post by 3migo » Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:58 am

Thanks Eric! I might give them a call.

Anyone dealt with HQ Milton? They've got a used 214270 at a very reasonable price.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:18 am

3migo wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:58 am
Thanks Eric! I might give them a call.

Anyone dealt with HQ Milton? They've got a used 214270 at a very reasonable price.
I have. I guess Jacek rubs some people the wrong way (he can be a little terse), but I've always had good experiences with him. You don't have anything to worry about as far as the watch being genuine, and he'll usually come down a little from his asking price.

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:25 am

3migo wrote:Thanks Eric! I might give them a call.

Jump on it if available. I’ve met with them multiple times in person, and they’re good guys.
:htfu:

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:06 pm

Make sure it’s a second generation model. The first gen has white gold numbers and t-Rex hands.

3migo

Post by 3migo » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:09 pm

hoppyjr wrote:

Make sure it’s a second generation model. The first gen has white gold numbers and t-Rex hands.
Yeah it's the MKII. That's the flavor I've been looking for, not a fan of the polished numeral Mk1.

tmw
Name: The Enabler

Post by tmw » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:22 pm

I think you should try and call every AD around for this as suggested....I think you will find one.
Stan, don’t you know the first law of physics? Anything that’s fun costs at least eight dollars”
-- Eric Cartman

“To absent friends, lost loves, old gods, and the season of mists; and may each and every one of us always give the devil his due.”
― Neil Gaiman, The Sandman

I bought a cheap watch from a crazy man
Floating down canal
It doesn't use numbers or moving hands
It always just says now
Now you may be thinking that I was had
But this watch is never wrong
And If I have trouble the warranty said
Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On

- Jimmy Buffett

flintsghost
Name: Bill

Post by flintsghost » Sat May 11, 2019 12:17 pm

In buying or trading for Rolex used do what many of the online dealers mentioned above do...If there isn't a filled out warranty paper or card...they don't really want it. Also insist on a complete kit. Boxes, papers tools etc. Fakes don't usually come with complete kit. Also do your own due diligence on line on the seller/buyer.
The reason I carry a 45 is because Colt don't make a 46.