Wine Storage

Where did you get that man purse?
unsub073
Name: chris

Wine Storage

Post by unsub073 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:48 am

I know we have some serious wine drinkers on here. We don't have the space to build a dedicated wine room, so I have been looking at ones with cooling units. The top of the line ones that I keep reading about are the Eurocave or Le Cache. Anyone have any experience with either one of those or any other model that they have liked?

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Re: Wine Storage

Post by matt.wu » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:06 am

Roger is probably the go-to guy here! I keep my wine in a cabinet in the dining room.... :)
:htfu:

ChuckW
Name: Chuck

Post by ChuckW » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:22 am

It's been quite a while since I shopped for a wine cabinet, so I'm not too current on what's available, but I can tell you that a cabinet, not a built in cellar, is the way to go. If you ever sell the house, you won't be able to take a walk in with you. A walk in wine cellar or a walk in humidor is unlikely to add to the resale price of a home and may lessen it.
No, it's not Tourettes.

ChuckW
Name: Chuck

Post by ChuckW » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:29 am

Another amenity which may not help home value.

No, it's not Tourettes.

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:11 pm

We have a wine cooler (24 bottles - maybe a bit more, I forget) that is in our basement. I can look at the brand, but we've had it for going on 15 years.

We keep our "good" bottles in the cooler and keep another 8 or 10 bottles of "table wine" in a rack in the kitchen.

The positive to our set-up is the "good" bottles have been temp controlled and light controlled while being stored. The bad news is we rarely drink a "good" bottle as they are out of sight, out of mind. On a normal Saturday evening we'll just grab a bottle from the kitchen rack to have with dinner when we probably should enjoy one of the better bottles from time to time.

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:21 am

unsub073

Post by unsub073 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:30 am

Seppia wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:22 am
Do you own any $500+ bottles of wine?
Because otherwise any other temperature controlled environment (I assume you have AC) works fine.

Just store it flat, away from sunlight and heat sources and you’re good
Nope. Most of it is sub $100 stuff with a small select bottles in the $300 to $400 range. We probably have close to 50 to 60 bottles, and I didn't know if there was a better way to store them besides what we are currently doing.

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:58 pm

I can be a snob on certain things, and I do enjoy nice wine on occasion, but TBH, I drink $20ish bottles at home almost exclusively (retail not restaurant price, obviously). It's kinda that good balance of quality and price that I'm looking for in a "daily driver" wine. It's the Grand Seiko range of wine.
:htfu:

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Post by BBK357 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:33 pm

60 bottles of wine??
Damn. I don’t get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

unsub073

Post by unsub073 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:19 am

I have close to 30 bottles of scotch/bourbon/whiskey as well. My wife and I have always been on opposites ends of the spectrum when it comes to wine, so there was always her stash and mine. We recently discovered that we both like French wines, so we've been adding those to the mix that we both enjoy. We had dinner in Ft. Lauderdale a couple weeks ago, and really liked the wine, so when we got back, I was able to find 6 bottles of it, and it showed up today.

It is very easy to add more bottles of wine to your collection. We like to go to food and wine pairings, and sometimes you like what they are serving and grab a couple bottles, and sometimes you leave empty handed.

unsub073

Post by unsub073 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:10 am

Seppia wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:37 am
Definitely.
If you like French wines don’t discount the Bourgogne
They are extremely underrated (everybody knows the Bordeaux), but they were the inspiration for the Pinot Noirs of the pacific NW, only they can go from same quality to immensely better.
Try a Nuit St Georges or a simple Bourgogne Pinot Noir / Macon Villages/ Macon Mancey
Thanks for the heads up. We've been really liking the Syrah's and Syrah blends out of the Rhone region. We just started exploring French wines within the last year, so I know there are a ton of wine's/regions we have yet to touch on. This is the bottle that I just got in: Domaine Duclaux Châteauneuf-du-Pape Rouge 2011

sierra11b
Name: Eric

Post by sierra11b » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:08 pm

Seppia wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:54 pm
To be honest I would not waste money on one.
Wines today are very different from what they were 30+ years ago, unless you abuse them (sunlight, big temperature swings, frequent transportation for miles and miles) or plan on keeping them more than 10 years you’re good.
Yep.

And if you're really concerned you can keep them in the coolest/darkest part of your closet or in an unused fireplace which will stay relatively cool. I wouldn't let the idea of holding onto wine steer you into legitimate storage unless you're really getting into some heavy hitters you intend to age.

French wines can be really fun... You find a couple unknowns you really like in the <$40 bottle range (hopefully cheaper) and buy a couple cases. Rinse and repeat on something else.