Name: HeadDIK

Re: Badass shoe/boot link thread

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:17 pm

CesarG wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:14 pm
toxicavenger wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:53 pm
I think I had a pair of them in high school???? :scratch:
It could be. These are re-issues of the original 1980's model.
Oh okay. Then that is why I have seen them before. :salute:

HapaHapa
Name: Eric

Post by HapaHapa » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:53 pm

CesarG wrote:
SoCal C4S wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:39 pm
My Danner Featherlights above are super lightweight, and will stand up to whatever you throw at them.
I picked up the Jag's a while back and they have held up well as a grab-and-go lightweight boot.

How generous is the toe-box width? I’m tending towards E-width for toe space in my work boots. Normal width Timberland shoes and Red Wing boots are too narrow across the toes.
The Hapa

Selym
Name: Myles

Post by Selym » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:09 pm

JP Chestnut wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:44 am
I’m not sure what happened but I can no longer wear boots. The relatively hard sole (compared to sneakers) makes the bottom of my feet extremely sore. It’s a bummer because I loved boots.
Clarks Desert Boots with the crepe sole. The only downside is the soft sole wears quickly.

goaliechris
Name: Chris

Badass shoe/boot link thread

Post by goaliechris » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:05 am

dukerules wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:42 pm
HapaHapa wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:21 pm
toxicavenger wrote:
HapaHapa wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:20 am
Has anybody tried super lightweight boots like LEMS boulder boots ?Image
Yep, they wore out in about 4 months. And I could feel every rock I stepped on. :crybaby: I wanted to love them.
These zero drop style boots or shoes is where I’m ending up for my wide toe box needs. Their concept fits my foot.
Did you beat them to death? I see reviews where the Lems boot lasted a long time. Then again, almost every shoe seems to have a subset of reviews where they fell apart in months. Chalk it up to piss poor QC maybe.
I bought them because I wanted to try zero drop shoes. In the end I regretted it. I couldn't hike it them or do anything that was abusive. I was thinking they would replace my Rossi boots. They couldn't even begin to do that. It was not money well spent for me. I was told afterwards they are more of a "town boot". WTF does that mean?

I want to try their Primal 2 shoe though. Just I hate spend another $100 on shit. But I do want to find a good zero drop shoe. So far my Vans have been the answer for that need.

Here is a real review about the boot https://gearjunkie.com/lems-boulder-boot-review
Just ordered a pair of Lems Trailhead sneakers. Sort of a light duty hiking shoe concept. I believe they have a minimal drop (maybe 4mm). Will let you guys know how they work. Was also considering lightweight Danners.

Just bought these at REI - La Sportiva Wildcat. Can not recommend them highly enough - incredibly comfortable and they last a long time (had an earlier version of them 6 years ago and used them for a Goruck challenge).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dukerules

Post by dukerules » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:22 pm

Update on the Lems Trailheads. Got mine in a couple of weeks ago, and have worn them approximately 10 times since then. A couple of hot spots the first two times I wore them, but since then they have been extremely comfortable. They wear close to a no-drop shoe for me, which means comfortably. Nice rugged sole for what is pretty much a sneaker, so I think they'll be good as a lightweight rec hiker and do-anything travel shoe. I spend most of my time at work on my feet doing procedures, and they provide good support for that. One thing is that they are not water resistant, but a little waterproofing spray makes them a good to go in the rain (not sure how well they'll deal with mud and creeks though).
Good review here:
https://adventureactual.com/lems-trailhead-shoe-review/

Danny_T
The T is for Tacky
Name: Danny

Post by Danny_T » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:26 pm

I know winter is over but I had to post these killer boots I got at the tail end of the last crazy cold snap we got.

These are a brand called Royal Canadian (Men’s Aldershot model) and they are absolutely amazing. Warm as hell and so dam confortable. They’re rated to -35*C and waterproof.

They’re just a touch on the bulky side but it’s expected for a extreme cold rated boot but it’s really not too bad. The insoles are thick memory foam lined with red felt so you have great insulation at the bottom of the foot.

They look awesome also. They come in 3 colour options.

ImageImage from me.

Danny_T
The T is for Tacky
Name: Danny

Post by Danny_T » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:02 pm

Is it bad when you buy shoes to match your watches Image

Got these Nike’s at the foot locker outlet last night.

I have a couple pairs of swims shoes and like them because you can wear them in the water but I haven’t yet embraced my old age and the loafer style of their lineup. These tennis sneaker ones just came out and are def more my style. Very comfy and stupid light.

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Post by BBK357 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:27 pm

Danny_T wrote:Is it bad when you buy shoes to match your watches Image

Got these Nike’s at the foot locker outlet last night.

I have a couple pairs of swims shoes and like them because you can wear them in the water but I haven’t yet embraced my old age and the loafer style of their lineup. These tennis sneaker ones just came out and are def more my style. Very comfy and stupid light.

DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

mbakes
Name: Mike

Post by mbakes » Thu May 02, 2019 9:52 am

MIlworks and Context Clothing are having a good sale on Thorogood boots in case anyone is interested.

https://milworks.co/collections/thorogood-boots
https://www.contextclothing.com/brands/ ... -thorogood

Joeprez
Wants to see pics of your wife
Name: Joe

Post by Joeprez » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:23 am

So, some of you know were I live, so besides dress shoes for the office and other formal occasions, I usually wear sneakers, boat shoes (prefer Clarks to Sperry) and flip flops (and yes, I sometimes wear crocs :dance: :mrgreen: ).

Besides Desert Boots and hiking boots (love my Keens), I've never had Red Wings style boots, but have always liked how they look with jeans. I'm going on vacation next month to Spain and was looking for a warmer shoe that would work for day and night and found this Aldo boots for $69!!

I'm amazed with how comfortable they are, plus they are not so warm that I would not be able to use them in Puerto Rico. My question is, how good are these (Aldo boots in general) and what's out there that is even better, as now I want to add a pair in dark gray, dark green or black (but that doesn't look tactical). Are Red Wings the next step? Not concern if the Aldo boots are not as durable do to what I paid for them, but these are $190 regularly, so I want to know if, at full price, they are a good boot or if I need to look elsewhere for my next purchase.

Thanks!

Omega / Tudor / Rolex / Sinn / Doxa / Seiko

Joeprez

Post by Joeprez » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:28 am

I'm also amazed on how comfortable the Adidas Boost line is. Tons of colors available at Amazon, these are the latest two pairs I've gotten:

Ultra Boost:

Solar Boost:

These two have Continental rubber on the soles, still not sure if just a gimmick or not, but they look great and are super comfortable.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:05 am

Aldo quality isn’t the greatest, but if they’re comfortable and will suit your purpose, then they should be fine (especially given what you paid).

I have to say they look better than most Aldos I see. Not a huge fan of the zipper on the side.

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Post by Chocodove » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:14 am

^^^ I think Jeff nailed it. At the price you paid, can’t go wrong.

If I was going in the $190 territory I’d look at the Danner Bull Run Moc Toe or similar. They will be my next pair of boots.

https://www.amazon.com/Danner-Mens-Bull ... 08156&th=1

- Todd

HapaHapa
Name: Eric

Post by HapaHapa » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:34 am

Joeprez wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:23 am
So, some of you know were I live, so besides dress shoes for the office and other formal occasions, I usually wear sneakers, boat shoes (prefer Clarks to Sperry) and flip flops (and yes, I sometimes wear crocs :dance: :mrgreen: ).

Besides Desert Boots and hiking boots (love my Keens), I've never had Red Wings style boots, but have always liked how they look with jeans. I'm going on vacation next month to Spain and was looking for a warmer shoe that would work for day and night and found this Aldo boots for $69!!

I'm amazed with how comfortable they are, plus they are not so warm that I ÿwould not be able to use them in Puerto Rico. My question is, how good are these (Aldo boots in general) and what's out there that is even better, as now I want to add a pair in dark gray, dark green or black (but that doesn't look tactical). Are Red Wings the next step? Not concern if the Aldo boots are not as durable do to what I paid for them, but these are $190 regularly, so I want to know if, at full price, they are a good boot or if I need to look elsewhere for my next purchase.

Thanks!
My boss wears a pair of Aldo’s that he says he’s had for many years. They look like zip side dress boots and seem in good condition for the years he has worn them.
The Hapa

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:17 pm

Anyone know a good maker of shell shoes/boots in more of a lighter brown color? I’ve been keeping my Allen Edmonds shell wingtips in the window by the sun for months, and they’re starting g to lighten up, but I’d love to be able to just buy them already light if possible.
:htfu:

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:47 pm

Joe, make sure you take some long walks in those Aldos before you commit to them for vacation. The last pair I had tore up my feet, in spite of being comfortable.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer

Post by JBZ » Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:57 pm

matt.wu wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:17 pm
Anyone know a good maker of shell shoes/boots in more of a lighter brown color? I’ve been keeping my Allen Edmonds shell wingtips in the window by the sun for months, and they’re starting g to lighten up, but I’d love to be able to just buy them already light if possible.
Shell cordovan? Ben Silver sells some Crockett & Jones whiskey shell. Here’s a couple:

http://www.bensilver.com/The-Belgrave- ... bYtdCUpCEc

http://www.bensilver.com/The-Harvard-L ... bYuWiUpCEc

Alden does whiskey from time to time, but usually special orders or a limited run.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer

Post by JBZ » Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:06 pm

You can also try ebay. Sometimes you find new in box examples, but it’s rare. Search whiskey or Ravello shell cordovan.

You can also try the styleforum buying and selling forum.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer

Post by JBZ » Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:15 pm

Couple of choices in whiskey on the C&J website, too.

https://www.crockettandjones.com/colle ... ollection/

And Rancourt has a few:

https://www.rancourtandcompany.com/men ... dovan.html

Joeprez

Post by Joeprez » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:00 pm

Thanks guys! Will check all the suggestions. Plus, will make sure to walk a lot in them before the trip to see if they do work for what I want :thumbsup:

BacoNoir
Name: Roger

Post by BacoNoir » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:04 pm

matt.wu wrote:Anyone know a good maker of shell shoes/boots in more of a lighter brown color? I’ve been keeping my Allen Edmonds shell wingtips in the window by the sun for months, and they’re starting g to lighten up, but I’d love to be able to just buy them already light if possible.
I bought the Allen Edmonds “walnut” and it’s a gorgeous light brown/golden color.
www.simplynoble.net
Time Magazine Person of the Year - 2006

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:32 pm

JBZ wrote:Couple of choices in whiskey on the C&J website, too.

And Rancourt has a few:

Do you know if the Rancourt wingtip boots are made with a steel shank? I prefer to not have to take off my shoes to walk through the metal detectors, which is why I have been wearing my Allen Edmonds more than Aldens when traveling.
:htfu:

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer

Post by JBZ » Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:38 am

matt.wu wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:32 pm
JBZ wrote:Couple of choices in whiskey on the C&J website, too.

And Rancourt has a few:

Do you know if the Rancourt wingtip boots are made with a steel shank? I prefer to not have to take off my shoes to walk through the metal detectors, which is why I have been wearing my Allen Edmonds more than Aldens when traveling.
I don't know for sure, but there's an older SF thread that claims they don't use a steel shank. I've never ordered from them, but they get good reviews, and they're one of the few makers around that regularly produces shell in more than just black or burgundy (and their prices are reasonable compared to other brands that work with shell).

Your best bet is to email or call them.

Joeprez

Post by Joeprez » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:00 am

Chocodove wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:14 am
^^^ I think Jeff nailed it. At the price you paid, can’t go wrong.

If I was going in the $190 territory I’d look at the Danner Bull Run Moc Toe or similar. They will be my next pair of boots.

https://www.amazon.com/Danner-Mens-Bull ... 08156&th=1
Thanks Todd, these look really good, very similar to the Red Wings Classic Moc, and with Amazon return policy, I can just order a couple of sizes to try them out.

SoCal C4S
Name: RJ

Post by SoCal C4S » Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:36 pm

If I was ordering that style, I would get Red Wings 10 times out of 10. I’m a Danner whore too, so I don’t say that lightly.